Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4430350 - 07/14/18 08:28 PM Just Found Something Of Possible Interest  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Possibly, maybe?

It's a free downloadable version of the prequel to EAW, called "1942:The Pacific Air War". A couple of add-on scenarios are offered. DOS-only, but some users could possibly rig DOSBox to run it. Link to page with basic game and add-on scenarios: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/1942-the-pacific-air-war-2pm.

I understand that there are possibly a DOS and early Windows version of the original game, and possibly original game with "Scenario" add-on available for "Windows 3.x". "Gold" version contains "Scenario" update, but not 1946 update, AFAIK.

I mention this as it might be of some possible use to some folks here, since there is an interest in expanding EAW to the Pacific; already accomplished in some variants of the game.

Perhaps this DOS game is only of historical interest, but maybe there are nuggets to be found. I'm offering this free download in the hopes that it frees some developers from re-inventing the wheel, and also in the hope that de-constructing the earlier game just might be of some value to the developers here.

Or perhaps this is old news, in which case, carry on.

Last edited by RIBob; 07/14/18 09:40 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4430412 - 07/15/18 10:32 AM Re: Just Found Something Of Possible Interest [Re: RIBob]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Thanks.

We've plundered PAW a number of times for 3dz objects.

One of the things that PAW has that EAW doesn't is a mix of strategic / tactical game play.

With PAW, in campaign mode you first send out search planes in a pattern that you set up based on where you think the enemy is located. Once the fleet is spotted you are "ported" to the cockpit of your plane for the tactical side of the campaign.

It adds a whole other dimension to the game play. Unfortunately it is "buggy" because late in the campaigns a lot of times you suffer a CTD when porting to your cockpit and upon reentering the game to campaign is gone.. To my knowledge it was never fixed.

FWIW, there is an "Easter Egg" in PAW. With the right set of key strokes you can fly over Gilligan's Island and wave to the crew.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4430455 - 07/15/18 05:12 PM Re: Just Found Something Of Possible Interest [Re: Rotton50]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Rotton50
Thanks.

We've plundered PAW a number of times for 3dz objects.

One of the things that PAW has that EAW doesn't is a mix of strategic / tactical game play.

With PAW, in campaign mode you first send out search planes in a pattern that you set up based on where you think the enemy is located. Once the fleet is spotted you are "ported" to the cockpit of your plane for the tactical side of the campaign.

It adds a whole other dimension to the game play. Unfortunately it is "buggy" because late in the campaigns a lot of times you suffer a CTD when porting to your cockpit and upon reentering the game to campaign is gone.. To my knowledge it was never fixed.

FWIW, there is an "Easter Egg" in PAW. With the right set of key strokes you can fly over Gilligan's Island and wave to the crew.

I wondered about some of the objects in PAW seeming a bit familiar.

#4430460 - 07/15/18 05:51 PM Re: Just Found Something Of Possible Interest [Re: RIBob]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
BTW, one of our mavens is in the process of building aircraft carriers based on the ones in PAW. Much more detailed than the ones in SPAW.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4430468 - 07/15/18 06:29 PM Re: Just Found Something Of Possible Interest [Re: Rotton50]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Rotton50
BTW, one of our mavens is in the process of building aircraft carriers based on the ones in PAW. Much more detailed than the ones in SPAW.

I was recalling a screen shot of a carrier in the PAW game linked above when I wrote my previous comment.

Re-inventing the wheel is counter-productive. If an existing object can be legitimately used, go for it.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.