Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 566 of 608 1 2 564 565 566 567 568 607 608
#4428529 - 07/02/18 03:40 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

I am envious of your weather, Mcgonigle. But wondering about your winters.
It did start cool enough here to don jeans and a long-sleeve top to protect against the nasty bites and be outside some. But it did not take long to warm up with a hard breeze to balance the heat.

I do get e-mail messages from my granddaughter, who I know no longer uses that mode, and from a friend long gone. Those are never opened either.
Your insight on computers is appreciated here. I'm now wondering if a VPN would be worth it?

There are a few motorized bicycles around, but I have only spotted a couple. More common are the serious bikers clubs that travel in groups. I assume it pays off in friendships as well as in self-preservation considering some driver antics.
What is making the news this week are the motorized scooters on sidewalks since the rent-a-bike has been a failure in the main city.
Again, your comment on the efforts of legislators definitely applies.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4428570 - 07/02/18 12:24 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Lots of rain and cloudy skies here. Certainly no need for any rain ceremonies.

MG, the powered bike issue is a tough one. They really don’t belong on the road with real traffic, but neither are they appropriate for bike trails. It is not just their source of power, it is the mindset of their riders. They act as if they are dominate over pedal bikes and can do as they please. And I speak as one who has powered bikes. I have folding electric bikes that fit in the trunk or in the plane. Two modes - pedal assist or full electric power. Under full electric you can go 20 Mph for about 25 miles before they start losing power. So the wife and I can easily exceed what most pedal riders are doing. But being old farts we just fall in with them and don’t go full speed. They are great when you land somewhere and want to explore around the airfield and local town.

Have been flying a couple friends airplanes. That Ercoupe and a Mooney. Completely different airplanes. Ercoupe very simple and light sport. No flaps, no rudder pedals, low power, semi-open cockpit, steers like a car on the ground, very simple avionics, fixed pitch wood prop, etc. The Mooney is the opposite. Higher power, complex, retractable gear, constant speed prop, electric trim, full avionics and autopilot, etc, etc.

I am changing the wingtips on my plane. Installing tips with a droop in them to reduce wing vortices. Supposed to add a knot or two to cruise speed and reduce stall speed by a few knots. Plus they just look better.

Sorry that I have no interesting tales.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4428606 - 07/02/18 03:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I am somewhat embarrassed that I have not posted for a bit. We recently learned that a very good friend of my son's and our family was so needlessly killed in an auto collision. Rod and his eldest daughter plus two other kid were taking a short drive to run an errand when some homicidal idiot ran a stop sign and T-boned them on the driver's side.

The oldest daughter was driving and there were two other younger kids in the back seat. Rod was a big guy physically. He was about the size of John Wayne to be precise. More importantly, to describe Rod, he was an even bigger man in many other ways. At one point along the way he had even considered going into the ministry. It was tough but Rod stuck to the books and studied hard at night. He worked his butt off to get his advanced IT certification while working two jobs to feed his growing family and to become an IT professional. He had succeeded in both and now held a job of much responsibility with a large firm in his city. Things were looking up and he had begun to actually enjoy life and the fruits of his labor.

When their car was struck it began to spin as it also slid carried by inertia from the point of impact. In a heroic and selfless effort to protect his daughter, Rod had flung his large body between his daughter and the steering wheel. Rod lost his own life in the terrible moment when his vehicle lifted from the road and rolled several times. However, his heroic effort to save his daughter's life was merecifully successful. She came away from that awful wreck with only superficial injuries beyond that of a broken heart. One younger child is in serious condition but expected to survive. The other child is in less serious condition.

It is very hot here in NC and Rod planned when they returned home that day to install an air conditioning unit to replace the one that had recently worn out . I am pleased to report that has already been taken care of by friends. The family have not set plans for the funeral as yet.

My son has friends in the right places and desperately wants a few quality minutes with that stop sign running SOB driver (now charged with manslaughter). I doubt he'll be allowed it. I was just sad. Now I am still sad but also angry. I'd like a few moments for a go at that bastid myself. 🤬

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4428767 - 07/03/18 06:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

In the continuing saga of electric bicycles, a local politician defended the decision to allow them on bicycle paths by quoting the general guiding principles of traffic law; everyone should take care to drive safely and avoid accidents. I will never understand why such non-answers are not instantly countered by the very question, if this principle does not apply to all traffic, and if accidents do not occur anyway? I will certainly hope that it turns out not to be a problem after all, but observing the general behaviour of pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists, we are all prone to inattention and downright stupid behaviour in traffic, and I must emphatically not exclude myself.

The tragic story you relate Roger, is sad, sad proof of that fact.

Fittop; Yes, the winters are the flip side of the coin. Whilst daylight goes on for almost 18 hours near summer equinox, during winter the dark hours dominate. And very very rarely do we enjoy such long spells of dry, sunny weather, as this year.

A VPN will encrypt your communication and insert a different IP address than your own, thus making it harder for anyone to "eavesdrop" on your communications and determine where you are located. VPN's are therefore widely used to circumvent geo-restriction; say a Chinese in China wants to read or post on a website that is blocked by the Chinese authorities due to "unacceptable" political content. As a guard against Virus or Malware it is not effective.

Last edited by McGonigle; 07/03/18 06:51 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4428775 - 07/03/18 07:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Our high today will like;y be 95°F. Just another average day enjoying the 90's here in Dixie this year. We barricade ourselves behind an air conditioned shield and hunker down unless forced to do otherwise.

MG:

As you also know, Bitdefender offers a free VPN if you subscribe to the paid version, perhaps even with the free version as well. That is free up to a preset limit. I have chosen not to use it. I do have Malwarebytes installed and Chrome offers an incognito setting as well. I use ScriptSafe to discourage unwanted and malicious scripts from being run. I have a cookie cleaner with a very good black and white list. Over kill perhaps as browsers are far more robust these days. I am not paranoid, just cautious. No personal data is stored on phone or laptop. Common sense is your best protection. It always has been. While I would have liked to have been in touch with C51 again, the type of connection (drop box) was suspicious. Especially since my MS web address he had or has has not changed. My phone number has changed.

His delightful and lovely daughter was married when we were still in touch. I thought perhaps his son had married recently and there were photos. I believe it was instead malicious phishing by parties unknown. Perhaps we may reconnect in the future and I can find out? I may find his address or phone number hidden somewhere in storage or more likely on my elderly XP computer if it can be brought back to life after so long a time also in storage.

I wish you all a thoughtful and happy Forth of July tomorrow. Especially those of us in the US plus any unrepentant descendents of Lord Cornwallis and King Gorgie 3. 🇺🇲

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4428779 - 07/03/18 07:54 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Happy 4th!

Roger, I wonder, when a browser such as Chrome offers an incognito or privacy setting, what exactly happens? Does it work over the internet, or does it only work on the local machine by automatically deleting cookies and browser history, so that subsequent users of the machine cannot trace your browsing habits?

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4428881 - 07/04/18 04:46 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

I'm having a hot and steamy Independence Day. I am ready for the hotdogs and fireworks tonight. I assume we will be cooking the weenies on the grill. Or, if the sun has not gone down, just out in the blazing, hot sunshine to really char. wink

MG:

As usual. You are correct. In that if you do go “incognito", websites may still collect or share information about you. If you want to run your Internet connection through something like "Anonymizer" or "Tor", then Google won’t be able to see your IP address. There are also programs like "Disconnect Me" that add another layer of privacy protection. I'm OK with what I have. For the time being at least.

You can never be completely safe against all malicious threats. There are too many evil souls out there spreading dangerous code. As for AV programs, IMHO, by the time a new threat is identified and any AV program is updated for a that new threat, it may already be too late. Mostly, we are being protected from old threats and only some new, similar ones. Not that that is bad thing.

We must be careful and vigilant. Don't visit unsafe websites. Sign out of our browsers when we leave. Don't open any e-mail with an attachment. Not even if it seems to come from your dear old mommy, unless you were expecting it. Or until you verify where it actually came from. Common sense and keeping our software up to date along with keeping up with current tech information about our devices is and always has been our best defense.

Food, Family, Fourth of july, and Fireworks. The four best "F" words ever! 🎆

Q: What's the difference between a duck and George Washington?
A: One has a bill on his face, and the other has his face on a bill. winkngrin

#4428893 - 07/04/18 06:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I bet if I knew the pet names of the people I know I'd have half of their passwords. That ain't safe.

In addition to the above items, don't use weak or reused passwords. No pet names. Get a password manager so you can have long, difficult to decrypt passwords without worrying about remembering them. Most business breaches come from weak passwords or carelessly used passwords. There are some very good password managers out there most hav a free version that is fine to use. Managers like "Last Pass" or "Dashlane" or "Key Pass" for instance. Find one you like and try it. You'll be far safer and never have to worry about remembering short, unsafe passwords like your aunt's pet' aardvark's name back in 1971 or the date of uncle Thurman's rupture operation back in the time of the Truman administration again. winkngrin

Most or all of these managers allow you to protect all your passwords behind just one master password. That's all you have to remember. And many allow you to back up and sync everything to all your smart devices (some require a paid version for that feature). Most will instantly fill in your passwords and login info for for you with just a click. They also will create safer, longer highly secure passwords for you or you may make your own.

I strongly suggest you stop using "Spot" for all your passwords and get a powerful, full featured password manager.

#4428897 - 07/04/18 07:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps...

Happy Independence Day to our cousins across the pond! wave

Today I visited the local model aircraft club which is situated on a disused WWII airfield only some 6 miles away I was treated to a free 2 hour air display and allowed to take part with a couple of introductory lessons under dual control.
Near the end of my second spot it flipped over and down behind trees and shrubs as my tutor took over. Miraculously, it appeared, climbing upwards to descend again out of sight. My 86 year old co-pilot quickly handed the unit to a second pilot who pulled it back up into sight although by this time it could have gone anywhere. It must have found the only clear patch around that area to allow taking control again. He brought it back into the circuit and just in time as the fuel ran out for a dead stick landing.

Relieved that it ended well without the need for an undignified scramble through shrubs to retrieve it...or what was left of it. It is a Cessna Bird Dog semi-scale 6' span job used as a trainer but for my very limited experience the darned thing moved too fast. I would not have wanted to be looking up into the treetops at the USAAF star on Independence Day. duh

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4428923 - 07/04/18 11:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

What a lucky fellow you are. I'd have pranged it for sure, probably while it was still taxiing. My first cousin flew the 0-1 Bird Dog as a FAC in Vietnam. My cousin was far lukier with his full scale version. He flew other aircraft as well.

It seems Brits have fewer holly days then us Yanks. Your next holly day seems to be the Summer Bank Holiday on August 27 or 28. May i therefore wish you a happy holly day on that date. Since you are conveniently happily retired, I suppose that one won't mean much to you however. So, celebrate with us today or at least what is left of it. Too far to come? Go down to the pub and raise a few pints in toast to General Georgie Washington and those filthy, rag tag colonists who treated your General Cornwallis and his Redcoats, and Hessians so unsociably.

It was only a matter of national pride, you see. Now we the people are, in spite of some recent events by our government, still your very good friends. 🇺🇲 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🇬🇧

#4428925 - 07/04/18 11:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Let us all celebrate the US Independence Day ! I know that some of you are of the different persuasion, but let’s all agree that a lot of good came from it.

And if we can’t celebrate that, then let us celebrate my birthday. Yep, you heard that right. I was born July 4th, Independence Day !

OD, looks like you did OK with the remote airplane. My attempt many years ago was not a pretty thing. Over rotated on takeoff. Vertical climb with a over-correction which became loss of control and a ruined airplane. Probably 20 seconds from nice plane to a tangle of broken parts. It did not go over well with my uncle. He held back, but I know he wanted to unload on me. He never invited me to do it again.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4428981 - 07/05/18 01:49 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Happy (belated) Birthday, Oldgrognard!
May it be a great year for you and yours.

Congratulations are also in order to OD for aircraft handling, and thanks for the computer handling advice to all.
I believe step one would be to first get a fresh copy of the latest W-10, (or as MS would like to call it"Windows...), back up and clean the crud and then go on.
Of course, that may be on line after more apparently pressing items.
At least until I look at the screen and scream: EeeeK! after seeing nothing but blue.
Yep, another type of ignorance of the "do it right, now; when you can" law".

#4429140 - 07/06/18 02:48 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Another day basking in the 90's today with heavy rain possible this afternoon and evening. We lost power last evening for some unknown reason. No storms or other evident complications. The electricity was off for about an hour an 45 minutes. Possibly a transformer blew or maybe another squirrel had a shocking experience at the sub station?

OG:

I hope you enjoyed a pleasant and patriotic birthday. I think watching fireworks from the air would have been an appropriate and fun thing to do. Hopefully, that new hurricane will not cause Floridians any trouble or anyone else for that matter. I certainly hope it stays away from Puerto Rico which is still hurting.

Fittop:

Dux has quite a lot of simm flying experience and expertise with construction of and none remotely controlled flight. It wouldn't take him long to sort it all out. What most people have trouble with is when the aircraft is coming toward them and the controls are reversed. Having a screen to see what the "pilot" views makes all the difference I would suppose. I always wanted to build a large scale plane with a camera in the nose but that wasn't available to me then. I did however build one rocket with a camera in the nose cone. That was fun.

#4429270 - 07/07/18 01:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Weather not cooperating with plans for the Golden Wedding Anniversary celebration of my friends today. It will be much cooler, staying in the 70's F. Storms and heavy rain with some flash flooding possible expected.

Our power continues to go off and on with no obvious reason unless they are making repairs from previous storms. I have to wonder what will happen when a BIG storm hits us as it does about every 7 years.

#4429561 - 07/09/18 01:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

JRT, hope that a great time was had by all at the Golden Wedding Anniversary, that you got to spent a little while with an old friend and have returned happy.
It's easy to return melancholic with good memories, but the joy of seeing old friends does return and leave a smile.

I seem to remember a test on spatial awareness to thin out potential pilots. One imagined a clock and rotated it a few times and see what the other person agreed. -Supposedly bent to determine that the fairer sex could not pass it as well as the male counterpart.
I decided to try in on my friends. At first it seemed true but then the flaws became evident.
I then decided that it was not a good test for its purpose, although it did show that some people can maintain spatial relationships better than others.

Glad to see the tropical disturbance has weakened. The Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico have yet to recover from last year's damage.
No word yet on my friends that winter there.
We are presently enjoying early morning temperatures below eighty but almost breaking a hundred in the afternoons. This week we may get a slight break.

Never have enjoyed the duels of car buying. It does seem that the dealerships have perfected their art of close fighting with the customer, with the latest being the old bureaucratic twist of making the customer wait and wait.
It makes no sense to spend almost twenty minutes waiting for a finance officer when you are paying cash or got your loan elsewhere.
There are a few other new tactics but neither you or I have time to get into them here.

It does reinforce the feeling of never wanting to meet a car dealership again. Ever.

#4429579 - 07/09/18 03:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Looks like a nice day especially with a newly promoted hurricane churning off the coast and another in the chamber farther south. We'll have partly sunny skies with temps in the80's along with low humidity for this time of year.

I binge watched "Band of Brothers" again on Amazon Prime this weekend. Why? I dunno, because It ended the same way it always seems to. Spoiler: We beat the Germans and and the
Japanese at the end.

Fittop:

I'm OK. As far as I know, everyone survived. Some survived in better shape than did others. The pig (an apparent teetotaler) still got the worst of it. There were only bones where he once resided as the guest of honor. A couple of uninvited mutts were seen working on some of them. In my opinion, pulling out a rib and cleaning it almost down to the marrow is the best thing at any pig pickin'. It was a cool day after heavy rain and cloudy conditions. The weather cleared just about two hours before the event. I hope the weather cooperates as well for their next Golden Anniversary. winkngrin

#4429750 - 07/10/18 03:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We've had significantly cooler temps for several days, however, we will climb back into the 90's today and tomorrow. After that, it appears we'll be in the mid 80's again for a bit. THe humidity has been low for this time of the year. Today, the humidity is in the mid 60% range so far.

We should congratulate the RAF and all its members (especially our Dux) , past and present, on celebrating 100 years of military service today. You can find many clips of fly-bys etc. on YouTube I am sure. SALUTE!

On VPNs from a previous post, they do what they say they can do and they do add another layer of security. Yet they may not tell you they keep data of your activities for varying periods of time according to their own needs and storage capabilities. Some erase the info now and again. The point is, if they are ever served with a court order requesting your data for any reason they will be turned over to the authorities.

So, VPNs aren't perfect. Some reasons why: Data collection subject to retrieval with a court order, because you share a server somewhere with thousands of other people that likely slows down transfer rate, there are often long handshake delays, meaning overall reduced performance with a VPN.

What then can we do? Try an Unblocker or something similar. An unblocker does not reroute you through another server wit a thousand others. All an Unblocker does is tell the Internet you are someone you really are not. It provides a new IP address different from your real one every time you surf the net. Further, it is claimed that if you want to stream blocked video for your particular area of the world you can now do so, you will be unblocked. I have read about unblockers but not yet tried one. Apparently they are cheap to subscribe to and provide all the security you need. One of the "best" I have seen advertised on Twit broadcasts is surprisingly named "UNBlocker". If you try it or have ever tried one, post a review.

#4429766 - 07/10/18 06:38 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Currently it is raining and we do need the precipitation because of extensive draught and danger of wildfires all over the co-h-untryie. Days are still warm though and if not sunny, with more or less cloud cover. I just managed to cut the last of the shrubbery and dispose of the waste before the rain started this evening.

I hope to catch up on the YouTube clips regarding the RAF centennial but I gather that no one flew a Typhoon or even a helicopter through the Tower Bridge this anniversary. Those flyboys are perhaps getting a bit soft, eh? Unless Dux upheld the fine tradition and flew his RC plane through? Congratulations to the RAF are in order though, as is everlasting gratitude to the fine young and not so young men who flew against enemies of freedom and democracy.

True words regarding the mixed blessing of VPN's Roger, most of them do have a bad habit of storing your information and some of them even reside in the country of the Free and the Brave, only a phone call away from the Feds. Some claim not to store your details, nor logging them. Off the top of my head, I can't seem to recall any unblockers not also coming with a VPN.

Fittop, have you been buying a car recently I wonder, or perhaps just been window shopping? I went to an Alfa Romeo dealership recently and was not too impressed with the salesman. He did not know anything about the stereo system in the car and he tried selling to my emotions when discussing in detail some obscure point about the care and consideration that had gone into designing the headlamps. He even quite ridiculously claimed that a used Alfa, some years down the road would be worth a sizeable sum of money. On my trip back home from the dealer, a run of approximately 35 minutes, I ran into a queue on the free-way and in that moment the dream of actually owning an Alfa, died. You see, that dealership is the closest to my home able do do service and repairs, and I do not fancy spending that amount of time in rush hour queues. Apologies to Alfistas out there, I'm partly one myself.

Last edited by McGonigle; 07/10/18 06:40 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4429920 - 07/11/18 07:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

We've been granted a reprieve from the one hundred degrees weather. The afternoons have been filled with the empty threats of rain with thunderous claps of noise, but little rain.
However mornings, when the temperatures are lowest and easier on an old guy to cut the grass, is also the time when condensation is the highest and the green stuff is too wet to cut.

Your thoughts about VPNs are heard and appreciated. I will concentrate on cutting down the nosy bits trying to get my info. - A seemingly hopeless task.

Yes, I was on the market for a new vehicle and got one. Not an Alfa Romeo nor the minivan I wanted. -Silly, isn't it? I know. But it sure was handy.
But the MB is coming up on twenty-one years of age and probably presently due for plugs and other checks. But it's still a pleasure to drive even when, or specially when, playing dodge-ball on the local streets and highways. Besides, it only has under a hundred and ten thousand miles.
Got enough faith on it we took it on a five hundred mile round trip recently.
Yes, it's staying with us. But it could be considered foolish, perhaps dangerous to be dependent on one (old) car these days.

My impression of the dealership you know. The salesmen polished and up to date on the notion that emotion is what closes the sale.
Doubt many of them are that wise on their product since we, as customers know less and less about facts on the cars anymore. They now do a hard sell on the latest advertising of the lane deviation gadgets, knowing that most folks are apparently more impressed by the buttons controlling phone volume and how to hook up their mp3s to the vehicle so they don't get a ticket. They still manage to rear-end or clip other cars because, again, they are just not paying attention to their driving and traffic, but I digress.

The bureaucracy of car buying really ticked me off this time and I expect I will be paying for check-ups rather than returning to that dealership for their "free" care and false smiles.

#4429925 - 07/11/18 08:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The current temp here is 95°F. at 4:30 PM and I am about the same temp as I just returned from a visit to a store. I went for a big bag of ice to sit on while I type..... wink Not really, but it was indeed hot as blazes out there. If any of you have been enjoying the quick tanning effects of 100° + heat; I feel for you. I am glad to be back in the air conditioned comfort of home.

Fittop:

I'm glad you no longer have to walk in 100 degree heat. Yup. Once one of those high pressure salesmen or salesladies catch on you really like something, they use every tool they have to set the hook. I'm an ancient ad man myself and, like the folks on the series "Mad Men", I learned in Advertising and Marketing 101 that you sell not the steak but rather the tantalizing sizzle. winkngrin

Page 566 of 608 1 2 564 565 566 567 568 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.