Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4427174 - 06/22/18 02:25 PM Popular shows that you never watched  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
What are some critically acclaimed shows that you have not watched simply because you were not at all interested in the premise?

There are quite a few for me:

The Walking Dead

The Wire

The Handmaid’s Tale

Stranger Things

American Horror Story

This is Us

The Crown

Better Call Saul

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4427181 - 06/22/18 02:57 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
This is Us
X-Files

Thousands more I am sure.

Better Call Saul is a great show!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4427182 - 06/22/18 03:00 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
The Walking Dead - too popular?

The Wire - watched season 1, never watched any more. Reminded me too much of... work.

I'm hoping to watch Better Call Saul, though, as I loved Breaking Bad(best writing ever, likely tied with seasons 1 - 4 of Game of Thrones).

#4427187 - 06/22/18 03:17 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I watched the first two seasons of The Walking Dead, then the show got too silly for me. Just too many facepalms over decisions taken by the show characters.

Other than that,

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
What are some critically acclaimed shows that you have not watched simply because you were not at all interested in the premise?

There are quite a few for me:

The Walking Dead

The Wire

The Handmaid’s Tale

Stranger Things

American Horror Story

This is Us

The Crown

Better Call Saul

This list covers the shows I havent’t watched rather well,

I am a late arrival to the Justified party, watching Season 2 now, what great show! Love Timothy Olyphant’s acting!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4427188 - 06/22/18 03:18 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
The Walking Dead - too popular?

Definitely. Even with its declining ratings it’s still one of the top rated cable shows out there and still gets over 6-7 million viewers per episode.

Would “Better Call Saul” make sense to anyone who has not seen “Breakin Bad?”

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/22/18 03:19 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4427189 - 06/22/18 03:18 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I never get Seinfeld references because I've never watched an episode, but this applies to most similar shows as well.

I watch television so infrequently that I get left behind even on menu screen formatting. The other day I went to channel surf (first time in months) and noticed that DirecTV had a new look, which I quickly found frustrating and turned it off to collect more dust, until the mood hits me to break out the DVDs.

Not that I don't waste time in other ways (Internet surfing), but even that is being cut drastically now.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4427190 - 06/22/18 03:22 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
All of them.

I haven't owned a T.V. set in 15 years bros.

#4427193 - 06/22/18 03:27 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

The irony is that not owning a tv doesn’t have the same impact that it once did since many of the hit shows now are only available via internet streaming and don’t require a tv.

#4427194 - 06/22/18 03:30 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Heh heh, who watches cable or satellite anymore? That's so 1980s. Streaming is the shiznit, yo.

#4427195 - 06/22/18 03:46 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Heh heh, who watches cable or satellite anymore? That's so 1980s. Streaming is the shiznit, yo.

Unless you have a rural satellite ISP.

Which actually works for me because I kind of like living in the 1980s/90s. biggrin

Last edited by MarkG; 06/22/18 03:47 PM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4427208 - 06/22/18 04:45 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Everyone I worked with loved Game of Thrones. I tried watching it. I just couldn't get into it. Breaking Bad just seemed okay to me. Better Call Saul was really good (IMHO).

#4427213 - 06/22/18 05:00 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney

I don't know, to be honest.
Bob Odenkirk is a great comedian, some of the most hysterical laughter scenes I ever witnessed happened here (the dancing airfoil cowboy...). He's putting a lot more character depth into the uncannily efficient shyster that Saul Goodman is in Breaking Bad. The story that unfolds around his brother is funny and heart wrenching at times - good drama - but part of the fun is of course to see the transformation of a shifty but good-hearted Jimmy McGill into the law system-disgrace-machine that Saul Goodman is, and the hints and backstories of other characters that ultimately all meet in Breaking Bad without necessarily being closely related before. These hints aren't a central element, to that extent I'd say that it's entirely watchable, but of course they add extra spice for those who watched BB before.

#4427218 - 06/22/18 05:22 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Walking Dead

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4427219 - 06/22/18 05:29 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
All of them.

Almost 20 years here.

Somehow I am getting by....

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4427236 - 06/22/18 07:09 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Yes. It is heavily, heavily prequel, and is really about a different 'world' view, although there are some similarities.

It is the story of the freefall of a talented but 'dodgy' lawyer to a criminal, criminal defence lawyer.
(Breaking bad, season one, was the freefall of a Chemistry teacher into drug cooking and dealing to pay for treatment for his terminal cancer, but it was so popular that it extended and became more than mildly silly at times in the later seasons).

There are some cross-over characters, but they aren't complicated to understand. I might be a season behind in 'Saul', as I only get to watch TV a lot when house sitting during holiday seasons (Summer, Christmas), but so far I have enjoyed it.

#4427246 - 06/22/18 08:26 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I don't know, there are a lot of side characters in Better Call Saul where the amount of screen time is in no proportion to the impact that they have; this is easily overlooked if you do know Breaking Bad. So I could imagine that some people will have WTF moments, like much of what's happening about Mike Ehrmanntraut. Ehrmanntraut is about as central as a supporting role can be to a lot of stuff in Breaking Bad. Plus, he's pretty cool and one of the few remotely likable recurring characters in Breaking Bad. So I guess that most people who aren't familiar with Breaking Bad won't mind watching his story. But there is remarkably little overlap between the two, except that they see each other whenever Jimmy McGill has a day in court, or the occasional, but rather rare "common client".
A similar thing case, Tuco and the Salamanca clan. They're dangerous, they're important for the whole backstory, they have remarkably little interaction with Jimmy McGill, and yet the amount of screen time devoted to them is rather generous. That only makes sense to people familiar with Breaking Bad.

Also, there are the near black&white scenes of the actual present (Saul as the manager at the Cinnabon mall restaurant) which make no sense whatsoever unless you know that "something bad happened" (in the recent past) between this show (the deep past) and "now"/"the future", depending on your point of view.

So, if you haven't seen it, be prepared for a rather broad panorama of the dark side of Albuquerque/New Mexico with a rather gaudy character forcing his way into the bar association against much resistance from his brother who may or may not actually make his concerns about his brother a self-fulfilling prophecy. That's the main story for the first three seasons, and the background is rather elaborate and detailed, hinting that there's a lot more (and it is).

#4427378 - 06/23/18 04:49 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Still waiting for the 3rd Season of Better Call Saul to come on Netflix.

Probably the most popular show I didn't watch was Game of Thrones. I watched the first episode and new it wasn't for me. Some guy was doggie styling his sister at the end. Fantasy and Sci Fi has never been my thing.
Also watched 2 episodes of Sons Of Anarchy, it immediately turned me off. It just reminded me of all the wannabe bikers, that popped up after that show came on. I lost count of all the coworkers who suddenly bought Harleys, and dressed and acted the part. Lame.
Watched 2 seasons of Homeland and lost interest.

Breaking Bad was great, The Wire was very good.

#4427425 - 06/23/18 09:48 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil

dawnson's creek,
dawnson's creeptonite (smallville),
f.r.i.e.n.d.s ,
pretender
fake star trek, you know the ONE, #thereisonlyonecaptain
nikita , the first one
the sopranos
and the one with kevin spacey about...something, but everyone used to talk about it back then.

and any tv show made from 2000s onwards pratically. i'm kinda of not follow trend guy, so even if its really good, i will only watch when everyone stop talking about it

Last edited by Blade_RJ; 06/23/18 09:55 PM.
#4427477 - 06/24/18 03:13 AM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Better Call Saul is a great show that stands on it's own. Watching Breaking Bad is definitely not required.

#4427828 - 06/26/18 03:11 PM Re: Popular shows that you never watched [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I’ve seen parts of episodes of these shows, but never actually sat down to watch an episode because I didn’t think they were funny at all.

Seinfeld

2 And A Half Men

Big Bang Theory

Seriously, these shows are so not funny that I laughed less than Leslie Nielsen did in the Airplane! And Naked Gun movies.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.