Hop To
#4426872 - 06/20/18 05:02 PM Railway Empire  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Was looking at this game. Never did the rail genre, and anyway I think this is more a management game featuring trains than it is a train sim/game. Opinions seem mixed and was wondering if anyone here has given it a go and has any thoughts on it. Management/strat games are sorta my thing, and this one looks pretty good. Just seeking opinions.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/503940/Railway_Empire/

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4430000 - 07/12/18 12:50 PM Re: Railway Empire [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Did you ever pick this up? I nabbed it on the Steam sale, but didn’t notice this thread until....well...now.

I find the UI a little clunky but the core gameplay is enjoyable enough. It’s not nearly as in depth as something like EUIV, but enjoyable.
So far I’ve only been casually working on the tutorial/campaign. You get the usual todo list, with some guided instruction augmented with short reference videos.

The general gist of the game is to: earn money by connection resource harvesters to goods producers (ie a cattle farm to a city that produces meat and leather) and then to end users. You also carry mail and passengers. You spend money by building railways/stations/support structures, paying rail crews, and buying new engines.

There is also a basic research tree to unlock buffs to your trains as well as new engines.

You can also tailor your trains to thei main usage (freight vs passengers for example) to min/max your income.

All in all an enjoyable game, though one complaint I have is the lack of pause-ability. There is a mode which will let you pause but ding your score. While I understand the idea, the tutorial in particular should allow pausing as you are learning the game. I’ll keep playing it occasionally, but as a diversion or break from other games. I don’t know that it has enough to hold my interest long term and the lack of a pause feature is real downer.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4430027 - 07/12/18 03:31 PM Re: Railway Empire [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey JC, how's things? No, I didn't pick this one up, but I did buy several new games during the summer sale. I bought XCOM 2, Warhammer 2 and Ultimate General Gettysburg so a few strategy games haha. But not this one. Wasn't sure about it really.

Watching the videos I thought that seeing the towns grow over time as a result of my stellar management would be cool smile It looks interesting, but maybe in a light sort of way, not that that is a bad thing.

Thanks for you thoughts, maybe I'll pick it up during the next sale.

#4430082 - 07/12/18 08:50 PM Re: Railway Empire [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Hi DB - things are same ol’ same ol’ over here. How’s about you?
I think the word I was searching for above is “compelling” this game doesn’t compel you to play it -it doesn’t suck you in the way some others do, or inspire you to search out tips and tactics etc on the web. But it is a pleasant t diversion.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4430191 - 07/13/18 01:12 PM Re: Railway Empire [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
If you are still,interested, I just happened across this sale.

Railway Empire for $4.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-Minds-Studios-Railway-Download/dp/B07FF4GJDS

-Robert Heinlein
#4430306 - 07/14/18 01:27 PM Re: Railway Empire [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great deal, thanks for the heads up JC thumbsup

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.