Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 564 of 608 1 2 562 563 564 565 566 607 608
#4425094 - 06/07/18 10:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

" Teeth" Is better than some, not as good as others. Better than "Red Rabbit" which was not much appreciate by fans. The fact that the terrorists had 4 shopping malls in their sights got my attention.

I received corporate emergency training and there was intensive training for mall staff including managers on individual mall levels. Fortunately, I had left the mall business before the terrorist threat reared its ugly head for real. Mostly, the worst we had to deal with was beginning prohibiting smoking, occasional shoplifting and gang violence, on my watch.

I like Jack Ryan films and books and was a bit put off how Clancy modeled this work with relations as protagonists. Innocent people were killed which drew the wrath of the American Tiger *thus the title) and Jack showed up to go to Europe and settle the score. It all turned out OK. The book was free, I can't complain.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4425131 - 06/08/18 08:27 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
I used to enjoy the Tom Clancy books, especially the earlier ones. His knowledge on tech subjects like STU phones seemed very good and he did realize and discuss the terrorist threats pre- 9/11.

Then, when I got to around Red Rabbit I thought that Clancy's infatuation with the Catholic Church and his repeatedly insistence on the Pope being such a holy good innocent loving old man I realized I was bored by them, really had been for some time already, and Teeth, put me off to such a degree that that was the last one I bought. I I had trouble with this notion of a murdering branch of secret government bumping off people with no form of democratic control or trial. Sadly not too far removed from reality with CIA covert flights and the disappearance of some people for years in dubious states and prisons, on the slightest of suspicions purely a by heightened sense of paranoia or a questionable tip from someone whose credentials could perhaps be debated.

Recently I tried re-reading one of his earliest books which I remembered enjoying; Red Storm Rising, but on reading it again it didn't have nearly the same impact on me that it had had back in the day.

Last edited by McGonigle; 06/08/18 08:44 AM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4425204 - 06/08/18 03:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Partly cloudy today. Yes, LeRoy, I usually say partly sunny but this time I am referring to me and not the weather.

MG:

I see your point about the books. Isn't it odd how a new read of a formerly enjoyable book can no longer have the same appeal it had years ago? The book is the same. For one thing, we age, mature and our opinions can change with added experiences of life. There is ugliness in life and usually we do not enjoy being reminded of that even in a novel.

I do not take that particular kind of book or movie too seriously. Clancy knows his stuff as you point out. But these are just higher level action books as are the films made from them just action films. Pure entertainment. Every author, every one of us have some bias for and against something and it shows in any author's writing. If we happen to share his bias we like it far better than otherwise. Sometimes bias shows a lot. It is a risk for the author. Sometimes too much soapboxing and we may stop watching or reading.

When an entertainer, or an "writertainer", reaches the top of his profession, as has Clancy, some tend to think their bully pulpit should be better used and those bias become stronger and perhaps more preachy. The actor or author does this intending it to be for good effect upon his or her audience. Maybe they feel guilty they are doing so well while others suffer in real life? Maybe they feel their activities so far are trivial and they want to use their talent to change the world for good. Only they know. It does not always work that way and such preaching or spotlighting can sour rather than help. Right, what do I really know about such things.

Fittop:

Some sage but random observations and suggestions on aging:

I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People get out of the way much faster now.

Gone are the days when girls used to cook like their mothers. Now they drink like their fathers.

I didn’t make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

I decided to stop calling the bathroom the “John” and renamed it the “Jim”. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Old age is coming at a really bad time.

When I was a child I thought “Nap Time” was a punishment. Now, as a grownup, it feels like a small vacation.

The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

I don’t have gray hair; I have "wisdom highlights" in my beard! I’m just very wise.

If God wanted me to touch my toes, He would’ve put them on my knees.

Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators. We haven’t met yet.

Why do I have to press one for English when you’re just going to transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway? 😝

Of course I talk to myself. Sometimes I need expert advice.

At my age “Getting lucky" means walking into a room and remembering what I came in there for.

Actually I'm not complaining because I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later. I don’t have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I have my own pad. I don’t have a curfew. I have a driver’s license and my own car. The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant. And I don’t have acne. Life is great.

I have more friends I should send this to, but right now I can’t remember their names. Now, I’m wondering: Fittop, did I post this to you guys , or did you post for to me? winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4425287 - 06/09/18 04:21 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

JRT:, would you repeat the question please? I was writing down some of your better pieces of advice, not paying attention, dropped the pencil and now I can't reach the pencil. biggrin
I don't mind the ladies drinking like their fathers, but prefer they cook better than their daughters...or at least better than me.

Clancy started out so well, but then seemed to leave the writing to a committee. I still have some of his books, one unread.

#4425331 - 06/09/18 05:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We've been enjoying few days with near 90° F. temps including this one. At least the humidity is low today. Fittop still holds the record. No century marks here as yet, unless you count how hot I got under the collar when the cat turned over the new flower pot...

Fittop:

Write it all down and spread the word. I am generous. Everyone is always entitled to my personal opinions. winkngrin

Robin Olds' book has been a good read. I knew about him due to his brilliant ruse that downed so many MiGs in Vietnam, operation "Bolo" . His career is covered completely from graduating West Point as an USAAC cadet through great success in Vietnam. I'll finish that today. I find there are plenty of free military books (air combat) available for reading thru Amazon Prime on Audible.

#4425464 - 06/10/18 07:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Back from Derbyshire yesterday after a 6-day stop-over. Lovely summertime weather here now with crowds toasting their butts on the beach all day.

JRT,
Thanks for those pics and apologies for this belated reply...Tell 'T' that the guitar you never forget is the one you started with. I wish I hadn't traded in my early guitars. Something very special about that first electric job even if the sound and quality is really inferior to those you end up with later on in life.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4425862 - 06/13/18 02:35 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Knock, knock...Just checking if JRT got too busy reading or perhaps he's down in the archives trying to put some references in order down there.
Hope he knows we have gotten spoiled enough to expect to see his plume daily on this space.
Yes, it's true we haven't pulled our share, but personally I have a "lazy" reputation to uphold. sleepy

The heat has decided to stay as long as a mother-in-law. It is ten pm before the heat goes below mid-eighties.
What has fooled me is the early morning temperature. I was hoping for seventy-five or six since I seem to need battle gear or at least jeans and a long-sleeve shirt to work outside. It was almost 80 by the time I got outside this morning.

Somehow for the last nine years or so, -at least since I've moved to this town I have grown allergic to the darn mosquitoes. It could be the meds I presently need, but a bite now leaves a big bump and it's misery to keep from scratching. Yes, I use "OFF", or something similar, but one sometimes manages to get skin and it becomes a fight of wills to keep from scratching which really complicates the problem. as does the fact that this town does not believe in spraying, which seems odd considering the fairly high rates of West Nile and Zika.
They never used to bother me so much. Now a bee sting raises a smaller bump. Oh well.

Edit:
This morning,
Had to re-read a few pages back since I remember a discussion on using an additional AV rather than the MS product.
For the second time, the Avast AV I have been using has installed an Avast browser without even a "by your leave."

I am a bit, no, some, POed. So I will be removing not only the browser, (an apparent derivative of Chrome anyway) but every thing labeled "Avast" in my machines.
They also now own the AVG AV, so I am open to suggestions for an AV, even if it's MS built-in.

Or I might go Mac OS with the mac mini start, and barely use MS on the desktop for games. Grrr.

Last edited by Fittop; 06/13/18 12:05 PM.
#4426027 - 06/13/18 10:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Seventeen...count 'em.... 17 degrees hotter than yesterday where I live. Beautiful day today though. Yesterday was only partly sunny.

Fittop:

It can get like this around HWH when the summer solstice is getting near. Other things distract us. It can get quiet in HWH Hall. Now and then so quiet LeRoy's cat Roscoe's paw steps have an echo. That disturbs the mice who generally ignore him. He is to bone lazy and snooty to actually dain to chase a mouse. His food bowl is always full and he knows it. And he gets scraps from our table. He lies down to eat. Sometimes he drifts right off to sleep still chewing.

Right, LeRoy, there was the one time Roscoe seemed to be chasing something. Then the neighbor's English bulldog Norman rounded the corner at full gallop right behind the cat. After that, Roscoe had a very large meal to replace all the calories he burned off in the chase. Then the lazy cat lay about nursing his tail which was now 1/4 inch shorter. LeRoy was so concerned he gave the cat a hambone with some meat on it. So happy was Roscoe he lay right down beside it and took a nap. Each time he woke from his nap he nibbled a bit until he was tired again and then slumbered on.

I would not say that Roscoe is fat...well not in front of LeRoy anyway. But that tom cat could not run away from home if he wanted to. No, he'd have to roll away from home. If he were an American cat he is so big he could qualify for his own zip code. Roscoe is ravenously hungry at every HWH mealtime. No matter how much food he has devoured at other times. We have learned never to reach to pick up anything edible that may fall upon the immaculately clean carpet. One time Dux did try that, (on a 5 pound dare) shall we say, he did not need to trim the nails on that hand for many days.

Sorry you are afflicted with those blood suckers Fittop. Are they as big as everything else in Texas? I have always hated mosquitoes. We once got one of those powerful bug zappers for the backyard. It worked great... in a way. It zapped a load of skeeters every night. Unfortunately, as the thirsty females circled for their turn to land and get zapped, some just had to have a snack and broke out of the pattern. And here we all were outside in shorts and short sleeved shirts and blouses, a veritable skeeter smorgasboard of hemoglobin pulsing delight.

Our neighbors rejoiced when they saw we had put up a big zapper. They shouted with glee every time they heard a loud ZAPP! We'd wave back and smile. It should have dawned on us this pleasure was because the light attracted all the neighborhood biting bugs to our place. On arrival, they all seemed to get a bloody snack before they too ended up on the smoking pile of insects growing beneath the electrified mesh around the light of our zapper. The neighbors kids told our kid they didn't even need insect repellent since we put up the zapper.

So it was that we finally figured out why the neighbors liked our zapper so much yet never put up their own. We quickly, and with little ceremony, took our zapper down. That night, I felt a slight twinge of guilt when I looked out my closed window and saw our poor neighbors flailing and flapping away as squadrons of biting insects assaulted from the air until they gave up and ran to safety in their house.

I think insects are becoming resistant if not immune to insect repellant. The only way you can guarantee complete immunity from bites is to spray on your choice of industrial strength bug chaser to prepare for the inevitable attack and then strike a match to set it alight when you hear buzzing. winkngrin

#4426153 - 06/14/18 03:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The nineties F. again today. A cold front may bring cooler, drier air and showers this evening. Maybe you got some of that too Fittop?

Is it me or has HWH shrunk? The landing page seems abbreviated. Could be a broad hint? Where do old forums goto live out their dwindling days? I might start a blog. That might, however, prove to be a rather lonesome and embarrassing experience.

We've all heard that "Men who live in glass houses should not throw stones", right? I've heard that "Men who live in tin houses should not throw can openers" as well. No one I ever knew lived in a tin house however several houses did have tin roofs. Well, my pal Dennis whom I hadn't seen in years and I were reminiscing again. It seems he recalls that one lunchtime in the 60's just as his family had settled into their seats for a nice meal...WHAM!! Something had hit their tin roof. What a racket. Mama headed for the bathroom, his dad and Dennis ran outside by different doors.

What they found, according to him, was an aerosol can that had its bottom removed and no spray nozzle at the top. The thing was blackened and smoking at the open end. Dennis did not say anything but the item looked suspiciously like a homemade rocket he'd seen me making the day before. He claims he never did tell on me. Good thing too because I suspect his mom did not appreciate being scared to death or doing the extra laundry that was required because of it. True story. winkngrin

#4426198 - 06/14/18 08:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

It must be almost time to start the rain dances here. No such luck so far on the wet stuff here, JRT.

It was only over a ten days ago or so that for three or four nights running it seemed that Nature's orchestra tuned up at either two am or between five and eight am and played havoc with the clocks, set alarms, smoke detectors and hot tub timers. Oh yes, it did wet the lawns and roofs also.
Depending on your situation, in the morning you either got up with a smile or a slightly bigger frown than normal.
Isn't there a joke ending with:
"Yes Herb, you may die in two hours, but I still have to get up in the morning!"?

Cars were not immune to Nature's tantrums either, as hail dings are evident all over town and repair shops are busier than they like to be.
Pictures were shown of softball-sized hail stones daily.

It may also be a small part of the reason why car prices have risen in the last couple of weeks. Stay tuned for higher interest rates due to some (so-called) experts decision that now is a good time to change them.
That change has been coming due for a year or two though.
But the recent rise is probably also be due to damage and losses due to floods and other Nature's actions on the existing supply of the last year or so.

Regardless, I will be looking for rain dance music. There is a chance that the confluence of Pacific and Gulf area winds may conspire to bring some rain to Mexico and Gulf areas. If so, if the forces hold together, by next week we may have to turn down the rain dance music.
Presently, I am just looking forward for the high daytime temperature to be in the low nineties rather than the high nineties.

#4426207 - 06/14/18 09:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

I hope you get relief soon. Nothing falling here but sunshine either, so far. Our current temp at 5:30 PM is a cool 90°F. At least it might feel cooler to you folks wearing 10 gallon Stetsonsand chugging gallons of iced sarsaparilla .

I wonder, could that refer to the amount of sweat you Texans produce on a scalding day like this? winkngrin

#4426231 - 06/15/18 02:45 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

JRT, you may or may not believe that I did have a cowboy hat once, in New York City. It was sent to me by a friend who went to the same college out West that I did a year later. It was a nice one and I wore the daylights out of it, in the subway and all places.

Never had a bad comment made, but then, you do see all sort of strange things in the Big City.
They are hard but friendly people up there. They are a bit jaded.
But if one asks you for a smoke, you better have your hand on your switchblade. He's got bad things on his mind and is just distracting you and measuring how fast you are.

I've been in Texas some forty-eight years and though I have been tempted a few times, I have never bought a cowboy hat.
My loss, I know.
You can use it for shade, as a fan, even send messages with it. I sure would not want to send a bad one and I'm not conversant with the art.
You could even scare bears with it, I hear. Wouldn't want to test that theory.

When I first came to this state, restaurant chairs had a place under the seat where your hat went.
Not too many places to put your hats down otherwise. Probably why I never got one; spend almost as much as on a pair of boots and no place to set it down without getting it dirty. And no sense getting an ugly one, is there?

A famous steak place in Fort Worth had a sign asking patrons to remove their hats inside.
The restaurant is still there, I wonder if the sign is?

I do own a pair of cowboy boots though. They are recommended in the woods. Snakes and ticks, you know...

I have ridden a horse too. My first ride was in...yep, in Brooklyn somewhere.
Shortly after the cowboy hat was delivered after someone suggested that : "You have the hat, now go ride a horse." I do remember it was a long ride home in the subway afterwards.
Somehow, those wagon rides around Central Park would have been heresy, probably a lot more expensive too.

I have ridden horses here too, bouncing more in that saddle that an aircraft through turbulence.
They don't like snakes either.

#4426304 - 06/15/18 04:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Knowing you were a Buff driver. Now, after reading that I have this picture in my mind from the movie "Doctor Strangelove". There is a Buff flying over Russia. A high yield Mark 17 atom bomb drops from the bomber. Riding on that bomb is not the veteran actor Slim Pickens but you Fittop. You are wearing a flight suit, western boots and a cowboy hat. As you fall below me you are holding tightly with one hand and begin whipping that bomb with your white cowboy hat. All the while you are shouting and whooping an impressive vocabulary of wrangler sounds.

OK that's gone. But having read further, I now have another film clip running in my mental cinema. We are in a NY subway. There is this weird dude with a multi colored Mohawk listening to a large boombox. As he chews and smacks what seems to be a huge glob of gum matching the rhythm of the music, he turns up the volume to near lethal level and begins rocking his head back and forth. The other passengers are sticking their fingers in their ears and frowning. Someone shouts for him to turn that music down, The young man with the boombox replies with a rude gesture.

Suddenly, an arm dressed in white terrycloth with a big hand protruding reaches out and pinches the neck of the offending boy. He instantly falls unconscious. The boombox is shut off and there follows loud clapping and words of praise from the others in the car. I look over at the person who has done this and for the first time realize the stranger in the hooded terrycloth robe is none other than you Fittop. You are our collective auditory systems saviour and not Mr. Spock. Ok, in the movie they were on a bus in San Francisco but you get the idea. winkngrin

#4426311 - 06/15/18 06:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Laughing out loud, you do have a good imagination, JRT. Enjoyed Dr. Kis----I mean Strangelove, and Failsafe both.

But I'm not Slim Perkins or hero. Also afraid of heights, that catwalk was rather intimidating and those bombs looked pretty secure to me.

Nothing bad happened in the subway to me, aside from a group of three bullying me for a cigarette which they didn't get.
The girl flashing me incidents were more pleasant and another time hanging to a crowded pole much more pleasant. -And not at my initiation. winkngrin

The worst potential incident was in a bus traveling with a lady between the LAX airport and Santa Monica to her place. The seats she picked in the back I now see happened to be next to a now-apparently homeless guy. I didn't know they frequent buses like they do subways.

He's mumbling.
All is fine until he decides to pull out a knife with a 3" blade. I'm assessing options, driver is too far away and would divert my attention too much. We've been on a flight, so totally unarmed and the bottle opener is in the suitcase.
I'm wondering how fast I can hit him hard in the throat or eye, but that's too much exposure to the blade. Decide a hard stomp or kick to his foot would be best and surprising as I divert blade to his body. Pretty sure he may be fast too and I have to be accurate.

But he's got to make the first move or I'm up for murder. So I keep talking with him, calming him down. Can't turn my back to him.
Finally we can move away and a long bus ride is over.
I never let that lady pick seating again.

Like everyone else, I've been minding my own business until that boom box arrives. I then think of the many ways one could accidentally kick the box into the pool.

Thank goodness for I-Pods and earsets. Their day did not come too soon. winkngrin

#4426326 - 06/15/18 08:12 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Yes indeed, summer has arrived. As I sit here at 4pm it is 86 F. Was 92 at pm. But we got a bit of ocean breeze then and temps dropped some. Anything you want to do outside is best done before 9 or after 8. This is quite noticeable when flying; after 10 there is more turbulence from the heat thermals. Also the planes seem to want to stay on the ground longer. Couple hundred additional feet of runway when taking off. Got to fly a 1949 Ercoupe today. I’m getting checked out in it. It is owned by a new friend of mine. He has moved here and it looks like we will have a good friendship. Ercoupes are interesting planes. No foot rudder pedals and no flaps. Low power. But what makes them endearing is being able to fly with the side cockpit panels down so that it is a semi-open cockpit. It is a very nice airplane that he has spent some money on getting better radios and avionics. I helped him do a complete upper engine rebuild with new cylinders, pushrods and rocker, etc. Fun plane, but not my style. Too limited. Almost no useable weight; two people means you can’t take full fuel. But it is fun for local flying.

Ah yes; rain dancing. We are in pretty good shape here and haven’t had to resort to it. I think the girls are disappointed. So much cajoling to get them involved initially, and now it seems they miss it. At least I have everything required from last time, so if necessary we can get to it rather quickly.

Fittop, I too hate in your face music. I wonder how some of these people can stand it so loud that I can hear it in my car with the windows up. And I really despise this obsession of heavy bass. I can feel the thumping vibration two cars away. Makes my trigger finger itch. I can have anger issues and must watch for them to raise their ugly heads.

Not much else to add.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4426400 - 06/16/18 02:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Love the thought of the ocean breeze. Living in Corpus Christi one could smell the ocean. Really loved living in that city, but I was away a lot working.
The ex mentioned a few times that her and the son lived there, I just visited. -A rather cruel comment.
Then again, that sea breeze made you feel you were also married to WD-40, as metal seemed to deteriorate faster than your body.

Those longer takeoff rolls do get your attention, as surprising as the faster landing speeds one realizes a bit later than wanted. Always seem to worry more of tire heat in the summer when heavy.
Was reading about the Ercoupe the other day. Don't think I've ever seen one up close. Hope you enjoy it, Oldgrognard!
Only have gotten one ride in a Tripacer and one in a bi-plane. Fun!

Grin, your feeling about the over-boosted bass is shared here. I just wonder why it's done?
Know it's past bedtime when the neighbor's son mobile speaker system announces his arrival and I get to not-enjoy his bad music taste while I assume he's finishing his phone call or whatever action he's taking while being bathed by heavy metal vibrations.
At past-midnight surely other neighbors are listening to that serenade.
Keep waiting to hear if I am going to hear a loud bang as the engine shuts off.
Always pulling that the speaker magnets will hold the bullet before it tears through my windows.

#4426408 - 06/16/18 04:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Sunny skies here today. At the present moment the temp. is 82°F. with an expected high of 87°F. Lovely day before Father's Day 2018.

Speaking of which, I used to refer to that holly day as "Passover" because nobody made much of a fuss over it like they did (including me) for Mother's Day. Still, I must admit that each new Father's Day another weird looking tie was added to that sagging rack in my closet. Over the years, according to changing fashion, I collected wide ties and narrow ties and some in between. Ties you would only wear to a dog fight or roadkill cookout. I never seemed to accumulate anything that would match a single tie. It was the thought that counted...and I sometimes wondered just what they were thinking.

There was a very good meal enjoyed by us all on that day cooked by the one Mother's Day was all about. . Everyone wished me a happy day. Sincere hugs and kisses were exchanged all around. These hugs are the best presents from those you love anyway. Happy Father's Day tomorrow gents. Collect some hugs and kisses from those who love you. No matter what comes to you on that special day in a box, the hugs and kisses are the gifts you will remember the longest and later miss the most.

OG:

As I've typed, that was the first plane I ever went up in. What struck me most was the way you taxied about on the ground like driving a car. I also liked the lines of the plane. My eyes bugged out when I saw twin yokes... I had my own "steering wheel". Nope, I did not get to use it. They promoted the plane as the aircraft "anyone could learn to fly".

Fittop:

I suspect that the actor Robert Duvall would actually rather smell the salty sea than Napalm in the morning. winkngrin

#4426509 - 06/17/18 03:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

A Happy Father's Day to all. May your supply of extraneous ties remain unseen and the new shirts fit.

As JRT mentioned, the most precious gestures and gifts remain the smiles, hugs and love. You know, the things that are done and thought of every day.
We don't have to even mention the memories that come forth when we open that door in our mind nor the sweet hugs we might receive when and if the "young" ones drop by.

One of my favorites memories is coming in from work. I see me looking at that little person, removing the shirt or top cover so as to not scratch him and being covered in coos and smiles then watching him start a nap on your chest and shoulder.
Soon you are also getting a drink of water and laying down on that couch, making him comfortable and safe on the inside and nodding off yourself for a bit.
Heck no, I am not going to tell him about that.
I'll even wait to tell his daughter until she is in turn expecting some years from now. She'll understand that then.

Neither will we ever mention the celebrations missed away from home, so those we made will just make double duty and joy.

Bet we could dump most of those "not your type" ties if we keep just one.
Of course I am keeping that small piece of metal I've carried all these years with the misspelled "Your (sic) the best Dad ever."

That is staying on the key chain till I die.

#4426519 - 06/17/18 04:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Looks like the 90's F. for a week with temps near the century mark or above Tuesday. Fhew! Better get out the industrial strength BBQ sauce and lather up for next week. The summer Solstice isn't until Thursday. As far as I am concerned, summer is here already.

Fittop,

A finer tribute to Fathers and Father's Day than yours would be difficult to find. My son called me about 9 AM to wish me a great day. That will be the high point of today's celebration for me. That and the happy memories streaming in my brain.

I just checked my tie rack and what do you think I found? Somehow several of those old ties are still there. You may well ask, why on earth did I save them all these years.... I took them out, one by one, and slipped them lightly through my fingers. As if reading braille, each one told a story. So much of life at my age is made up of delightful memories. I'm still making new ones as well.

For Father's Day

1) A small boy was at the zoo with his father. They were looking at the tigers, and his father was telling him how ferocious they were.

“Daddy, if the tigers got out and ate you up…”

“Yes, son?” the father asked, ready to console him.

“ …Which bus would I take home?”

2) Johnny’s father: Let me see your report card.
Johnny: I don’t have it.
Johnny’s father: Why not?
Johnny: My friend just borrowed it. He wants to scare his parents.

3) Teacher (on phone): You say Michael has a cold and can’t come to school today? To whom am I speaking?
Voice: This is my father. winkngrin

#4426615 - 06/18/18 12:53 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

This morning is warm and gorgeous. It looks like the big news around here is the coming of the first real heat wave of the summer. We'll see 96°F. for the high today. Tomorrow the birds will worry about frying in the hot air or their feathers being set alight. The ambient temp will be skirting the century mark and the heat index will be well over that.

More 90's follow with a break into the 80's before the heat returns again. I'd prefer to skip this race with Fittop to see who gets the high temp reading for the summer. He is ahead of me now but it looks as if I will be right on his heels. Let's move to Denmark for the summer.... Did I mention the cat is in heat again and singing opera?

It will be so hot that soon by the time you get the bread home from the store it will already be toasted. How about them apples Fittop? winkngrin

Page 564 of 608 1 2 562 563 564 565 566 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.