Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4425919 - 06/13/18 02:04 PM New WOFFER here  
Bruce Offline
Bruce  Offline

Danvers,MA USA
Why is it I always seem to be at least two steps behind on Sims. I got Between Heaven and Hell years ago and it was great but my system wouldn't quite handle it, so I took it off when I got a better PC. Now I have a better PC and upgraded to WOFF UE, and my system almost handles it.
I know its the PC Simmers lament, never quite enough power, similar to a Photographer who always nds more light , or a longer lens(one of my other hobbies).
Anyway I still am trying to iron out those little stutters, but I tried taking on a couple of two seaters in a mission last night and found out more ways of getting shot down than I ever could imagine:blood on goggles, engine shot to pieces(managed to dead stick into a field), half a wing shot off(takes a long time to die from 8000 feet), but the best was when my entire top wing was shot off and the plane was still flyable, but once in a dive it reached some great speeds and then made some very strange noises, before the bottom wing parted ways.
I blasted those two seaters and never saw one even show a sign of being hit, yet these shots seem to have quite a wallop.
My first two missions while in a campaign though were uneventful, never even saw an enemy aircraft. I did mange to shoot down 2 balloons, and damaged a third which was on fire yet not losing altitude.
The skins are funny I can barely tell some from another, maybe just different numbers on the aircraft.
Really hoping to tame those stutters If possible, tried shutting off Microsoft essentials, but it literally had no difference at all. My settings aren't that different though from default.
Very interesting Sim!

#4425926 - 06/13/18 02:43 PM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hi Bruce! Welcome to the unfriendly skies of WOFF! I might have missed it in another post, but if you could share your PC's specs, we can help you fine tune the sim and your video card to help iron out the stutters. I also had issues with my rig, which is a fairly modest system, so let us know what you have and if your specs are close to mine, I'll share my video card settings and the tweaks I performed in the workshop. I rarely if ever get stutters in the sim. One thing I will say about the dreaded stutter: there will be times when the sim is loading in a massive number of aircraft or creating a new sortie somewhere on the map (most likely far from your sight) and the sim will pause for a brief second, so this is pretty normal. But we can iron out the noticeable stutters you might be seeing.

Good to have you on board! Nice to see a join date older than mine! biggrin

With that in mind, new guy still buys the drinks! Hope you are enjoying the sim and the boards - you won't find a friendlier group of fliers anywhere else!

Cheers! cheers

#4425967 - 06/13/18 05:43 PM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
hoongadoonga Offline
hoongadoonga  Offline

Originally Posted by Bruce
The skins are funny I can barely tell some from another, maybe just different numbers on the aircraft.

That's certainly true of the British planes but the German ones have a huge variety of patterns and colors.

#4425972 - 06/13/18 06:01 PM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: hoongadoonga]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by hoongadoonga
Originally Posted by Bruce

That's certainly true of the British planes but the German ones have a huge variety of patterns and colors.

+1

#4425984 - 06/13/18 06:45 PM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
Bruce Offline
Bruce  Offline

Danvers,MA USA
Here's my system:

HD 500G|SEAGATE ST3500514NS

MB ASROCK|P67 EXTREME4 (B3) P67 R

DVD BURN SAMSUNG | SH-S222A BK

VGA ASUS|ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1
Updated to EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB 5/7/2018

CPU COOLER CM| RR-B10-212P-G1 RT

MEM 4Gx2|KST KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX RT

CASE ROSEWILL|CHALLENGER RT

PSU ANTEC|650W EA650 RT

CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R

WIN 7 HOME PREM SP1 64BIT ENG 1PK

ASUS XONAR DG 5.1 CHANNELS PCI INTERFACE SOUND CARD

Last edited by Bruce; 06/13/18 06:46 PM. Reason: update
#4426029 - 06/13/18 11:07 PM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Welcome to WOFF have fun.

#4426094 - 06/14/18 09:28 AM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
Pleased with it Bruce?

ITunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/matt-milne/1301047345
Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/4HohtzSKX5P5lz885y3BPu
Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NVS3WBV/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Demo Reel https://soundcloud.com/matt-milne-8/sets/demo-reel-full

Composer - games, films, and tv.
Wings over the Reich, Rise of Flight, Woff, off 2&3, Photokill and Star Trek: Bridge Commander Kobayashimaru
#4426113 - 06/14/18 11:38 AM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
Bruce Offline
Bruce  Offline

Danvers,MA USA
So far its a blast, reminds me a lot of Red Baron 3D. Don't get me wrong the graphics are much better, its more about the immersion itself. Plus I had a chance to go to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, and got to touch and feel the actual aircraft. gave me a whole different appreciation of how delicate and fragile these aircraft are. Going up to great heights in them must have been terrifying and both exhilarating at the same time.

#4426273 - 06/15/18 01:50 PM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
Bruce Offline
Bruce  Offline

Danvers,MA USA
So far I've killed 2 pilots, but both to groundfire. I've been on numerous quick missions and 4 during the campaign, and have yet to see any enemy aircraft, which seem strange to me.
Some of the quick missions are supposed to have aircraft within 2 miles, yet I never seem to find them. Maybe I'm not flying high enough as I usually hang between 1500 and 2000 feet.
Without downloading additional missions, are there any in the game where I can get some shooting practice ?
BTW I did add additional effect for the tracers which seems to help at least see where they are going.
I even joined a squadron and I'm not sure exactly what the aircraft were, but when I joined it said they were fighter aircraft, yet they had no forward firing guns, these all have been on the Allies so far. I'll have to try the little eindecker as it looks to be very interesting to fly.

#4426285 - 06/15/18 02:33 PM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

You need to set the height of the enemy flight in QC to the same or close to your flight's height - otherwise you are at 1500 feet and they are at 12000ft or whatever wink

Also right next to Quick Combat button is Quick Scenarios they are pre set missions you can dive into. Some definite instant action ones there.

Last edited by Polovski; 06/15/18 02:34 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4426301 - 06/15/18 04:20 PM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
Bruce Offline
Bruce  Offline

Danvers,MA USA
Thanks, I didn't even see that feature about the height, but I'm still getting used to the sim, which is even more feature rich than Between Heaven and Hell, you are quite correct "fabulously immersive indeed !"

#4426695 - 06/18/18 10:01 PM Re: New WOFFER here [Re: Bruce]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hi Bruce,

Hope you are doing well and still enjoying WOFF. I meant to reply back a few days ago - RL seems to get busier and busier these days.

Here are the settings I use in WOFF and with my nVidia Control Panel. I have a pretty mid-range system both in terms of CPU and GPU horsepower and I find that these give good results with minimal frame rate hiccups.

In the workshop, you'll notice that I've dialed a few settings back: Aircraft shadows and Terrain Shadow Details are both one tick lower than default. I believe everything else is set to stock. I've upped the Anti-Aliasing to 4 to try to smooth out the jaggies a bit.

[Linked Image]

Over on the nVidia control panel, I've found these settings to work well. By limiting my pre-rendered frames to 1 and setting my vsync to adaptive, my system can keep a pretty solid frame rate with minimal screen tearing. Setting Texture filtering Quality to High Performance makes a big difference in FPS - almost 10fps with it on versus off. In 1918, I have to set my air activity to low rather than keep it on medium.

[Linked Image]

By combining these together, I get between 55-60 FPS most of the time with some dips into the 40s when I'm low over a lot of objects, especially trees. I hear there's a mod / patch in the works that will remove some of the graphical glitches in the game (namely the dreaded blue triangles) that also provides an FPS boost so keep your eyes out for that too.

As always, your mileage may vary. I've had my system for almost three years now and I find that no matter what other combination I try, this one just seems to work the best.

At any rate, keep us posted on your adventures and I hope this guide helps!

Have fun!

Attached Files WOFF 4.17 Settings.pngWOFF Workshop Settings.jpg
Last edited by CaptSopwith; 06/18/18 10:02 PM.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse