Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4418668 - 05/01/18 08:44 PM Re: Total Newb Question...Menu Graphics [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by VonBeerhofen
For increased HUD font size you could try my font swap:

http://www.thatoneplease.co/Tally-Ho/vonbeerhofen/LargeFont.zip

[Linked Image]

and this for my larger pilotmap icons:

http://www.thatoneplease.co/Tally-Ho/vonbeerhofen/LargeMapSprites.zip

[Linked Image]

This stuff normally goes into your EAW root folder but you best check with Jelly on how to use it with v1.60, I recall it allowed a simmilar change.

VonBeerhofen

Well, maybe I will give those suggestions a try. Thanks!

ETA: Downloaded above linked zip files, and extracted them into my basic v1.28E folder. Can't see difference in size of HUD, and no colors have changed. I do see the contents of both zipped folders within my basic v1.28E folder, though. I suppose I screwed-up again. When you say "EAW root folder" exactly what do you mean? Basic folder containing everything? EAW executable (application), or EAW configuration file?

Last edited by RIBob; 05/02/18 12:27 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4418716 - 05/02/18 12:25 AM Re: Total Newb Question...Menu Graphics [Re: Recluse]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Originally Posted by RIBob

Following this thread. I, too, have some screen tearing and weird color issues running v1.28E. Computer specs: Computer specs: Dell OptiPlex with 8GB ram, Core 2 Duo processor (6Mb cache, 3.0 Mhz), and 1TB HD. Running Win7x64. Gaming board is an Nvidea GeForce 8400 GS, with 1024 Mb of DDR3 RAM. Mfr claims the card supports "OpenGL". Hookup to LCD monitor (1920x1080 native resolution) is via DVI. Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Digital joystick.

Not sure which approach I should take towards resolving the issues. Game itself plays well enough, however, the menu screens are irritating, and some are almost impossible to read, such as the ones used for plane selection.

Not to mention the very small HUD, way down there in the corner.

I would suspect your screen resolution or video card driver.

However, I provided some files for the single mission target selection bug, if that's what you mean.
https://eawonlinux.neocities.org/eoleaw128ewine.html#buggarbts

Bug - garbled Single Mission target selection screen and garbled Career Campaign Briefing maps

If you do not get errors like this then you can skip this section

[Linked Image]

Bug - garbled single mission target selection screen
[Linked Image]

Bug - garbled Career campaign briefing zoomed map

You may on some systems encounter this bug. It is due to an EAW programming bug that affects the menu window backpage rendering in some cases. It usually depends on your graphics card driver or settings whether or not you will have this inconvenient bug.

Work arounds - Possible bug fixes

Using a different Wine version may fix it.

Setting your Display settings to 1024 x 768 or larger can sometimes fix it. With some video drivers that have programmable software or settings or even using Wine you may be able to turn Vertical sync off for the application which can solve the issue sometimes. Or adjust the backpage rendering of d2d direct draw.

Other possible fix - using the Wine fake Windows registry

There was a registry fix for some video cards. It involves using a registry key setting called NoAdjustedPitch. It may work in Wine. Consult the European Air War (EAW) Help Site or Sandbaggers EAW Tally-Ho or the SimHQ European Air War forum

Work around - replace the in-game map file with a free special blank background pic provided by EAWonLinux

Download the ewonlinux-europe1testfiles.zip
( .zip md5sum fb0d22bcc2a981fda59195b02ed95633 )

Unzip and rename the file lowercase to europe1.pic and drop it in your EAW folder. The other Europe1.pcx file is just a .pcx copy of the file made prior to converting the file for the game. Provided for your own reference or uses.

Single Mission target selection screen after the applied fix
[Linked Image]
fixed single mission ts screen
Not pretty but it works. Note: use mouse click in screen and hold to move map around to select other targets. Use esc escape on keyboard to exit this screen or any other screen in EAW

Career campaign briefing zoomed map after the fixfix-
[Linked Image]
Not a great fix but at least you can see objectives clearly.

Note the initial non-zoomed screen - not shown - is not fixed by this method.

After applying the fix the game in-flight map will be affected. Since using it you will simply have a blank background using the in-game map feature. Keyboard shortcut alt + m. But no real map graphic to navigate from. Base and plane icons and waypoints show though, so there is some reference points.

The only reason to use this fix is if you have the bug single mission target selection screen from the Mission Settings menu in the Hangar. Also in Pilot Career aka Campaign Mode for the Mission Briefing zoom-in map. If you do not use these and prefer the real map you do not need the fix.

If you need to use it to select targets but want the regular map in the game you could always put the file in, select the mission target, save or fly the game and exit. EAW saves the last mission settings. Then exit EAW. Remove the file. Launch EAW again and since the Single Mission target is already set up, you do not need to use the target selection screen. Just either load your save or just directly go into Fly the Mission and your in-game map - alt + m - will be shown as usual.

---

Cheers!

Attached Files bug-singletargetscreen.pngbug-careerbriefingzoom.pngfix-singlemissiontsscreen.pngfix-careerbriefingzoomed.png
#4418723 - 05/02/18 12:52 AM Re: Total Newb Question...Menu Graphics [Re: FsFOOT]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by FsFOOT
Originally Posted by RIBob

Following this thread. I, too, have some screen tearing and weird color issues running v1.28E. Computer specs: Computer specs: Dell OptiPlex with 8GB ram, Core 2 Duo processor (6Mb cache, 3.0 Mhz), and 1TB HD. Running Win7x64. Gaming board is an Nvidea GeForce 8400 GS, with 1024 Mb of DDR3 RAM. Mfr claims the card supports "OpenGL". Hookup to LCD monitor (1920x1080 native resolution) is via DVI. Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Digital joystick.

Not sure which approach I should take towards resolving the issues. Game itself plays well enough, however, the menu screens are irritating, and some are almost impossible to read, such as the ones used for plane selection.

Not to mention the very small HUD, way down there in the corner.

I would suspect your screen resolution or video card driver.

However, I provided some files for the single mission target selection bug, if that's what you mean.
https://eawonlinux.neocities.org/eoleaw128ewine.html#buggarbts

Bug - garbled Single Mission target selection screen and garbled Career Campaign Briefing maps

If you do not get errors like this then you can skip this section

[Linked Image]

Bug - garbled single mission target selection screen
[Linked Image]

Bug - garbled Career campaign briefing zoomed map

You may on some systems encounter this bug. It is due to an EAW programming bug that affects the menu window backpage rendering in some cases. It usually depends on your graphics card driver or settings whether or not you will have this inconvenient bug.

Work arounds - Possible bug fixes

Using a different Wine version may fix it.

Setting your Display settings to 1024 x 768 or larger can sometimes fix it. With some video drivers that have programmable software or settings or even using Wine you may be able to turn Vertical sync off for the application which can solve the issue sometimes. Or adjust the backpage rendering of d2d direct draw.

Other possible fix - using the Wine fake Windows registry

There was a registry fix for some video cards. It involves using a registry key setting called NoAdjustedPitch. It may work in Wine. Consult the European Air War (EAW) Help Site or Sandbaggers EAW Tally-Ho or the SimHQ European Air War forum

Work around - replace the in-game map file with a free special blank background pic provided by EAWonLinux

Download the ewonlinux-europe1testfiles.zip
( .zip md5sum fb0d22bcc2a981fda59195b02ed95633 )

Unzip and rename the file lowercase to europe1.pic and drop it in your EAW folder. The other Europe1.pcx file is just a .pcx copy of the file made prior to converting the file for the game. Provided for your own reference or uses.

Single Mission target selection screen after the applied fix
[Linked Image]
fixed single mission ts screen
Not pretty but it works. Note: use mouse click in screen and hold to move map around to select other targets. Use esc escape on keyboard to exit this screen or any other screen in EAW

Career campaign briefing zoomed map after the fixfix-
[Linked Image]
Not a great fix but at least you can see objectives clearly.

Note the initial non-zoomed screen - not shown - is not fixed by this method.

After applying the fix the game in-flight map will be affected. Since using it you will simply have a blank background using the in-game map feature. Keyboard shortcut alt + m. But no real map graphic to navigate from. Base and plane icons and waypoints show though, so there is some reference points.

The only reason to use this fix is if you have the bug single mission target selection screen from the Mission Settings menu in the Hangar. Also in Pilot Career aka Campaign Mode for the Mission Briefing zoom-in map. If you do not use these and prefer the real map you do not need the fix.

If you need to use it to select targets but want the regular map in the game you could always put the file in, select the mission target, save or fly the game and exit. EAW saves the last mission settings. Then exit EAW. Remove the file. Launch EAW again and since the Single Mission target is already set up, you do not need to use the target selection screen. Just either load your save or just directly go into Fly the Mission and your in-game map - alt + m - will be shown as usual.

---

Cheers!

Thanks very much! Actually, the maps I've seen so far seem to be pretty good, as in 95% of what they should be, ideally. Getting rid of the odd bit of weird color, and increasing the size of the map icons would be a nice thing, but the maps are quite useable as-is. That said, I haven't seen every type of map available, just the one in Single Mission Briefing, I think.

#4418732 - 05/02/18 01:39 AM Re: Total Newb Question...Menu Graphics [Re: Recluse]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
I mean the folder where everything goes, where the .CDF files are located, the EAW.EXE etc. Certain changes, perhaps all in certain Windows versions may require a reboot. if you ran the game once already. This is because EAW will start from memory after that. Normal procedure is to always reboot when I mess with my game. I'm still on WinXP and have no good understanding of filestructure in other versions but EAWPRO and the official versions. In any case I would advice people to reboot, perhaps it's Windows which requires this, as I've seen strange things even in XP, like saving over a file and when I reopen the file I get the old one back untill I refresh or reopen the folder.

The EAW filestructure can be changed into anything, in which case I'd search for files with the same extension and see if it works from there. I understood from reading 1.28e release notes that a large HUD had been incorporated and would automattically switch on when higher then a certain resolution. From personal experience I didn't need it under 1600^1200. When CDF's are no longer in the main gamefolder but moved elsewhere, I'd say you try em in that location. Sorry if I can't be of any further help.

VonBeerhofen

#4418863 - 05/02/18 07:58 PM Re: Total Newb Question...Menu Graphics [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I mean the folder where everything goes, where the .CDF files are located, the EAW.EXE etc. Certain changes, perhaps all in certain Windows versions may require a reboot. if you ran the game once already. This is because EAW will start from memory after that. Normal procedure is to always reboot when I mess with my game. I'm still on WinXP and have no good understanding of filestructure in other versions but EAWPRO and the official versions. In any case I would advice people to reboot, perhaps it's Windows which requires this, as I've seen strange things even in XP, like saving over a file and when I reopen the file I get the old one back untill I refresh or reopen the folder.

The EAW filestructure can be changed into anything, in which case I'd search for files with the same extension and see if it works from there. I understood from reading 1.28e release notes that a large HUD had been incorporated and would automattically switch on when higher then a certain resolution. From personal experience I didn't need it under 1600^1200. When CDF's are no longer in the main gamefolder but moved elsewhere, I'd say you try em in that location. Sorry if I can't be of any further help.

VonBeerhofen

Thanks. I'll reinstall, one at a time, and reboot the computer in between. Will advise.

ETA: Unzipped both files to main (basic) EAW folder, and all the contents of the zipped files are there. No effect on the HUD, unfortunately. However, for some reason, all my manually entered changes in the "Snapviews" were changed to the OEM keyboard buttons. That's odd. I'll check the map icons, BRB.

No difference in maps, either. I removed all the (recently installed) files from my main EAW folder. Thanks for the suggestion, though, and much obliged for your trying to help.

One odd thing that I noticed was that after installing the two zipped files, the image of the main/basic game folder had a sort of blue square partially sticking out from inside the image of the file folder. Never seen that before.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/02/18 11:15 PM.
#4423395 - 05/30/18 01:36 AM Re: Total Newb Question...Menu Graphics [Re: Recluse]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Hi RiBob,

I understand now why you couldn't see any difference with my LargeMapSprites.zip, they have been integrated in 1.28E and subsequent versions, so they won't make any difference to your game or any later versions, you already have the 2nd best. Only my new version is slightly larger then these and they've not been released yet..The same probably goes for the LargeFont.zip. Just so you know where that stuff came from, smile

Oh, and there's no need to thank me for them File Manager, but it would be nice to see you give some credit to those who's creations you're using.

VonBeerhofen

#4423576 - 05/30/18 09:43 PM Re: Total Newb Question...Menu Graphics [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Hi RiBob,

I understand now why you couldn't see any difference with my LargeMapSprites.zip, they have been integrated in 1.28E and subsequent versions, so they won't make any difference to your game or any later versions, you already have the 2nd best. Only my new version is slightly larger then these and they've not been released yet..The same probably goes for the LargeFont.zip. Just so you know where that stuff came from, smile

Oh, and there's no need to thank me for them File Manager, but it would be nice to see you give some credit to those who's creations you're using.

VonBeerhofen

Thanks so much for the reply! Probably saved me a lot of useless struggle. I look forward to the release of the updated items. BTW, I do have a running version of "PRO", and when used with a wrapper program, I have no graphics issues whatsoever.

I am nearly at the point of having fully-installed, fully-updated, and graphically excellent versions of EAW at this point, so hopefully aside from some minor tweaking, I now look forward to actually playing the sims, as opposed to tinkering with them.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/30/18 09:52 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.