Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4423424 - 05/30/18 08:18 AM Barebones160 trial version  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
For people without any previous installation there is a trial version of UAW160 here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t50ggs9e0z21vcx/160Barebones.exe

It gives you the default ETO set-up as in EAW1.2, and is a full working standalone installation.

When you download it you get a "160Barebones.exe" which is a 7-zip self installer.
Running it generates a "160Barebones" folder with the complete installation:

[Linked Image]

It should be just a matter of running the "eaw.exe".

wink Jel

Last edited by MrJelly; 05/30/18 08:31 AM.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4423579 - 05/30/18 09:49 PM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Good move Mr. Jelly, back to the roots, I like it, I really do. I may actually even give it a try.

VonBeerhofen

#4423586 - 05/30/18 10:06 PM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Many Thanks Mr J

I am another of those who, while pretty computer savvy, had become quite lost with the highly-evolved versions of EAW that you and your colleagues had developed. This simplified version is much more in line with what I was looking for.

One does have two remaining questions though:

a. How does one get the Glide version to run in full screen? (I'm getting it showing as a medium-sized window in the top LH of my screen).

b. Alternatively, in the Direct3D virtual cockpit views, is there any way of killing the immersion-killing on-screen mouse cursor?

Thanks

Mike

#4423605 - 05/31/18 01:22 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: Mike Dora]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I downloaded this version on my Win 10 laptop, and it's problematic. Shuddering (while in cockpit, flying) screen as though the plane was shuddering like in the game when it's about to stall. No weird colors or screen tearing observed. The external views I accessed seemed fine. I did not plug in my joystick, so perhaps that's the root of the visual problems.

I'll tinker with it a bit tomorrow afternoon. I wonder if it will need a wrapper on my Win 10 laptop? The other versions of EAW, all of them, need a wrapper to look all right, although they run well enough without the wrapper.

#4423606 - 05/31/18 01:36 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: RIBob]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I took her up for a quick test drive ..No apparent issues ran stable both in D3D and Glide..took some 109's against a flight of B-17's managed to whack a few even though my stick buttons weren't assigned in the ini..At first look it looks good..Some more flying due tomorrow..The menu screens are discolored but D3D windower would cure that but I'd rather do without it I can never get most of the screen filled with it

Russ
Semper Fi
#4423635 - 05/31/18 05:23 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

In the full EAW160 when you select a planeset two files with the FM and skin folder paths are copied and pasted into the "Gamedata" folder as "FMDir.set" and "PDir.set"
When you select a theatre one file containing paths to all sorts of things (such as terrain files) is copied into the root folder as "Dir.set".
Then the exe runs it reads these three files to load the game data.

The "barebones" version has no "Dir.set" file, so the exe uses the default files in the "Gamedata" folder, in the same way that 1.2 uses default data in the "*.CDF" files.
However, it still needs the planeset files, so I put the "FMDir.set" and "PDir.set" files from the "10-ETO EAW default" planeset folder in the ""Gamedata" folder.

The exe I provided is the "UAW160 Old Map 2018 V8.exe". Everything else that was not needed in the full 160 installation was removed.

So, the "barebones version" has the normal problems, such as needing the d3dwindower to fix map problems in Windows7 and some earlier operating systems, and there could be some problems in Glide using the converted 1.2 skin files.

It was by best efforts to produce the simplest EAW installation that I could, but using 160 so that people could see how their system could handle it.

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4423636 - 05/31/18 05:26 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: RIBob]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by RIBob
I did not plug in my joystick, so perhaps that's the root of the visual problems.

Absolument- pardon my French wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4423637 - 05/31/18 05:36 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: Mike Dora]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike Dora
Many Thanks Mr J

I am another of those who, while pretty computer savvy, had become quite lost with the highly-evolved versions of EAW that you and your colleagues had developed. This simplified version is much more in line with what I was looking for.

One does have two remaining questions though:

a. How does one get the Glide version to run in full screen? (I'm getting it showing as a medium-sized window in the top LH of my screen).

b. Alternatively, in the Direct3D virtual cockpit views, is there any way of killing the immersion-killing on-screen mouse cursor?

Thanks

Mike

a. For nGlide which is using Glide3 you must set your eaw.ini to 1024x768.
The size of the area that you see depends on the settings in the configurator. I make mine smaller than my desktop resolution to allow for any borders.
The area in the top left can be moved by holding down the left "Alt" key and clicking "Enter"

b. Right click on the "eaw.exe" then select "Run as administrator".
Alternatively create a shortcut to the "eaw.exe", put it on the desktop and drag it to the Windows taskbar so that it can be opened from there with a single click.
Right clicking on the desktop icon and running as administrator also works.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4423638 - 05/31/18 06:03 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by VonBeerhofen
Good move Mr. Jelly, back to the roots, I like it, I really do. I may actually even give it a try.

VonBeerhofen

Well, it is not really that as it is possible to have this set-up in the full 160. As I explained in an earlier post this is just a sub-set of the full installation wink

If you do try it then let me know if it runs on your PC.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4423645 - 05/31/18 08:00 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I have created a special folder at MediaFire for the 160Barebones, and there is now an optional patch available:

Click here to go to the folder

It is not a patch to correct errors, but one to extend what the users already have.

Downloading and running the "160BB_DefETO_Patch.exe" in the "160Barebones" folder adds the necessary files and folders to extend your ETOTheatre to have seasonal terrains, and four additional planesets.
It also gives you the choice of the new and old map versions of the exe, so with these choices the "PlaneSetExeTheatreSwitch.exe" is included

[Linked Image]

It also gives you the choice of the new and old map versions of the exe
[Linked Image]

On some PCs running the "PlaneSetExeTheatreSwitch.exe" generates an unregistered dll error, which has been covered in a separate thread.
http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...or-713-class-not-registered-msstdfmt-dll

As I wrote this patch is not a fix but an optional extension. Getting it allows you to become familiar with selecting planesets or exes with the "PlaneSetExeTheatreSwitch.exe"

If there is a demand I could provide additional patches so that other theatres, such as the Mediterranean, the SouthPacific, Finland-Russia and the Spanish Civil War can be added, with appropriate planes and planesets.

Last edited by MrJelly; 05/31/18 08:30 AM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4423655 - 05/31/18 10:10 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I have already received a demand, so there is now a second extension type patch
"SpanishAirWar.exe" is in the folder where the first patch is, and adds the Spanish Air War theatre and planes.
Once again it is a 7-zip self installer to be run in the "160BareBones" folder
This now means that users have a choice of theatres, so all three types of choice are in play.

[Linked Image]

At this point I can address the "Raison d'etre" of UAW160, because I have just flown a mission using the SAW theatre, but the ETO late Russian planeset, and it ran well smile
Mixing and matching planesets and theatres is what it is all about smile

Last edited by MrJelly; 05/31/18 10:27 AM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4423800 - 05/31/18 06:51 PM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MrJelly
Originally Posted by RIBob
I did not plug in my joystick, so perhaps that's the root of the visual problems.

Absolument- pardon my French wink

OK, joystick plugged-in ( Logitech Extreme 3D Pro), and, after making adjustments in Game's "Controls" page for the presence of the joystick, the game seems to run quite well on my Win 10 laptop. No weird colors (so far), and no screen tearing, so no wrapper program needed. While I did not play it extensively, I did fly enough to satisfy me that there are no minor, let alone substantial issues with Win 10; Again, on my particular laptop. Relevant specs: Maxxed out RAM @ 8Gb, installed a 250Gb SSD, the Win 10 x 64 Dell Inspirion N5050 laptop is stock; i3 2350 CPU @ 2.30 GHz. OEM GPU is Intel HD Graphics 3000.

In short, this laptop is far from the cutting edge, and with exception of possibly the SSD, fairly representative of quite a few laptops out there.

Please allow me to make a few suggestions:

1) In many cases, perception becomes reality. Stop calling it "barebones", and call it something respectable like "EAW.V 160.Foundation". A foundation is something solid, and one can build upon it. People will think "Barebones" (even if for free) is short-changing them, somehow. Unreasonable, but many people can be unreasonable. Use a more flattering term, and people will look upon it in a better light. Human nature.

2) I suggest focusing your attention, for the present, in perfecting EAW.V1.60.Foundation (doesn't that a ring to it?), in lieu of adding to it, unless the addition is essential for the person downloading the game, and playing it for the first time. Keep it simple, and easy and intuitive to download and play. I believe it is essential to polish the elementary "Foundation" game as much as possible for the benefit of EAW newcomers. Keeping the Foundation version simple will greatly aid in doing so.

3) I think it a necessity to include a "READMEFIRST" that is more elaborate than usual. Perhaps even a splash page 'reading-request" on initial running. Many users will be entirely unfamiliar with the game, and will require more than usual assistance in some instances. One particular case in point is that some at least, will need to install a wrapper program, and that can be daunting, given the laughable documentation accompanying some of the wrapper programs. So, I suggest particular care be given to this aspect, as well as any other possible set-up issues. To illustrate another possible issue, my laptop has no right-hand "Number Pad" as part of the keyboard. Many laptops are so configured, so you will need to tell such people to ensure to hook up their joystick prior to starting the game for the first time. Granted, only a complete tyro plays a flight sim without a joystick, but there are plenty of tyros out there. I did not hook up the JS prior to running the game for the first time, and had to go into the "Control" page to configure the game for joystick use. The proceeding assumes that the first install 'recognizes" if a joystick is present, and automatically configures the game to suit. Explicit instructions need to be provided for this event, which is sure to happen frequently. Perhaps MarkEAW's "EAW Help Site" might serve as a model for some of this.

4) There should be sufficient coding within the initial install package to also allow the user to engage in on-line, multiplayer flying, if desired. Nothing within the "Foundation" game should preclude on-line flying. IOW, click a button for such, and be carefully guided through the path for doing so. I understand that a great many on-line games are scheduled, sol inks to ALL sites where such a game might be played ought to be included.

5) To sum up, the goal of such a version of the game is to attract new users. To do so, it must be as easy to install--and play--as possible. Consider yourself installing a completely new-to-you flight sim from an online download, or even a game CD. Remember those days? That's your target audience; they (at least most of "they") want to click a couple buttons and go flying. As the saying goes: "Build it, and they will come.".

I think a polished, "Foundation" version of the game, specifically designed/intended for a first-time, computer semi-literate person, would be an excellent introductory vehicle for the EAW sim. Done carefully, and by that I mean paying close attention to ease of installation and ease of play, it should prove to be popular. I look forward to suggesting such a version of the game to a few folks who have fond memories of playing EAW in the past, and regret not currently being able to do so.

It goes without saying that other providers of the EAW game should be encouraged to provide a similar version of their iteration of the game. The more the merrier, and an increased fan base for EAW will be of benefit to the entire community. To think of the competition between the various EAW game providers as a "Zero-Sum" scenario is false if there is an increasing fan base. In that case, it is a win for all. The alternative is a slow death of the game. That eventuality need not happen!

So, there is much to gain, and little to lose.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/31/18 10:57 PM.
#4423898 - 06/01/18 05:37 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I used the term "barebones" because it was 160 stripped down to its bare essentials. It was released for testing, which appears to be happening, and I have also received feedback re- the optional extras.
At this juncture it does appear to make a good base for the 160Foundation, and logically I need to set up a web page. In Australia my ISP had provided free web space, but I am not certain whether my current French ISP does. However, I have no great desire to have to do this all by myself, so any offers of help would be appreciated. It goes without saying that I can create the files for downloading, and the extension patches for different theatres and planesets. I have two more patches ready to roll, but I have held them back to enable users to try what is out there already smile

wink Jel

Edit

I had a quick go using MicrosoftSway for the first time ever

Check this LINK to see if it works

Last edited by MrJelly; 06/01/18 08:32 AM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4424018 - 06/01/18 06:29 PM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Looks good, Mr. Jelly. I'll do some more flying/testing of V1.60Foundation this weekend, and report back.

#4424093 - 06/02/18 01:15 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I'll have to wait to give it a try.(no stick)...but I like the idea of no front end required, at least for the first download.

@Jel, Regarding your front-end programs when used:
You think you can make pull down windows such as found in AWIII or Pacific Fighters? or would that require something out of the ordinary to program them in?

I'd probably myself use those Jel Front-ends more often I think if I could pull down and scroll, then select....just a thought.

Last edited by MarkEAW; 06/04/18 05:33 PM. Reason: noted jel frontends
#4424600 - 06/04/18 10:40 PM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
simaddict Offline
simaddict  Offline

Milano, Italy
Jel,
I tested your EAW_V160_Foundation on my W10 laptop and found a situation where the game incurs a CTD. This happens when Single mission is selected and the Mission parameters subsequently selected for it are the same as in a previously played mission. When clicking Fly Mission in such a situation, the CTD occurs as soon as the game opens the cockpit view after the player has clicked the FLY MISSION tag from the hangar screen (see screenshot).
The remedy, that I found in MarkEAW's Install Guide (https://eaw.neocities.org/eaw-manually-install.html#otherprob), consists in accessing the Savedata (or Gamedata) directory and eliminating the default mission(s) recorded therein (see screenshot).
I believe you are familiar with the above. I had found this problem already in your previous 160Oct2017, but I am raising it now so that you may consider it in your new "foundation". Based on my experience, the problem did not exist in vers 1.28C.

PS this is the first time I include pictures in the post, I hope that I did it the right way.

CTD
[image]http://www.mediafire.com/view/a2d5ccqa4hn3ywa/CTD%20at%20FLY%20MISSION.jpg[image]

"msn" files to be deleted
[image]http://www.mediafire.com/view/kihf5kd4f252sjk/MSN%20files%20to%20be%20deleted.jpg[image]

Attached Files CTD at FLY MISSION.jpgMSN files to be deleted.jpg
Last edited by simaddict; 06/04/18 10:45 PM. Reason: wrong posting procedure for pics
#4424642 - 06/05/18 06:55 AM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

You almost got the pictures right. Where you have "[image]" the word "image" needs to be replaced by "img" at the start and by "/img" at the end like this

[img]link to picture[/img]

I am not too bothered by the error you reported.
The initial installation is stripped down to the bare bones, just for a test to see if your system can handle it.
It does not include a "dir.set" file so no theatre is loaded.
After the addition of the Spanish Air War extension the file manager is able to load theatres.
160 is built to work with theatres, and would not normally be used without a "dir.set" file being loaded.
Once a theatre is loaded the various msn files are saved in the "GameData" sub-folder of the theatre.

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4424675 - 06/05/18 01:07 PM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

BUMPing this as I asked in a prevous post....

@Jel, Regarding your front-end programs when used:
You think you can make pull down windows such as found in AWIII or Pacific Fighters? or would that require something out of the ordinary to program them in?

I could capture the screen of one of these games if that would help?

#4424687 - 06/05/18 01:59 PM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I just looked at the Pacific Fighters installation that I have. Are you referring to the drop down selection lists as on the "quick mission" build page?

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4424695 - 06/05/18 02:53 PM Re: Barebones160 trial version [Re: MrJelly]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Yup, not sure you can do those or not. Its a slit with an arrow and slider sometimes.
maybe I asked this long ago??? I don't know for sure if I did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.