Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4422937 - 05/27/18 02:24 PM Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Posted the below in community Hall, but thought it worthwhile to post it here, as well:

Just yesterday I was rummaging around on the Interwebs, looking for mods/patches for "Jane's WW 2 Fighters", yet another "orphan" game I own, but have enjoyed playing in the past. It is reminiscent of EAW.

Well, I found a few sites that were supposed to have a gold-mine of add-ons, patches, and Mods, but naturally, the links led to sites that were all long ago extinct.

Using the dead links, I consulted the "Wayback Machine", properly known as internet archive,org. I typed in some of the dead links, and lo and behold, the long-dead sites were there. Not only that, but the whole site, including any linked material that was stored on that site. I just had to backtrack in time to a point just before the site went dead to get the info that I wanted.

Turns out one can "search" internet archive, and it will possibly yield the site you are looking for. Searching for "Jane's WW II Fighters" gave scant results, but searching for "Jane's WW 2 Fighters" struck gold.

I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I'll bet that someone sharper than me has thought of it, though.

Submitted for your consideration.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4422938 - 05/27/18 02:30 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Excellent smile

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4422939 - 05/27/18 02:42 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
Love the Way Back machine.

#4422983 - 05/27/18 09:03 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: Moggy]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Moggy
Love the Way Back machine.

It's another tool for the archeologist. Most of the time one is digging in the wrong places, and with no useful result. Occasionally, one gets lucky (after a lot of preliminary work) and the vein of gold is revealed.

#4423011 - 05/28/18 12:34 AM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I went though 99% of the eaw sites on that service already, saved notes, used notes, added to my help web site. Most of the old info I found on a handful of locations where of value.

If you find something useful, I'll be happy to look at for inclusion on my site

#4423041 - 05/28/18 03:44 AM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
You can always attempt to be proactive with the Internet Archive too.

Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu
Using the Internet Archive effectively: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...internet-archive-effectively#Post4296057

Tired of "losing" your favorite gaming site or any site that you just love to frequent for that matter. By using the Internet Archive's "Save Page Now" feature to save snapshots of those sites you can help keep them "alive" for your future use. It used to take 6 months before the page would actually show in the archive database but now you can check right after you save it and see if it was actually saved. If you get a group together you can pool your efforts to save just about everything from a site for future use.

• Go to the Wayback website: https://archive.org/web/
  • Paste the URL of the page you want to archive into the Save Page Now box (at the bottom-right).
  • Click on the Save Page button (or press enter).
  • Wait while the page is being crawled. Once the archiving process is complete, the URL of the archived page appears.

Not every link or page on a site will be able to be archived but most sites allow spiders to crawl most of their content so it will show up in search engines.

Wheels

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4423112 - 05/28/18 03:28 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

As I said, I knew that others had been there before. smile

#4423202 - 05/29/18 12:31 AM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by RIBob
As I said, I knew that others had been there before. smile

Had nothing to do with who was first I just wanted to remind everyone that you can save pages too. That way you have a better chance of finding something that was "lost" at later date. cool

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4423857 - 05/31/18 11:25 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

You can always attempt to be proactive with the Internet Archive too.

Using the Internet Archive effectively: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...internet-archive-effectively#Post4296057

Tired of "losing" your favorite gaming site or any site that you just love to frequent for that matter. By using the Internet Archive's "Save Page Now" feature to save snapshots of those sites you can help keep them "alive" for your future use. It used to take 6 months before the page would actually show in the archive database but now you can check right after you save it and see if it was actually saved. If you get a group together you can pool your efforts to save just about everything from a site for future use.

• Go to the Wayback website: https://archive.org/web/
  • Paste the URL of the page you want to archive into the Save Page Now box (at the bottom-right).
  • Click on the Save Page button (or press enter).
  • Wait while the page is being crawled. Once the archiving process is complete, the URL of the archived page appears.

Not every link or page on a site will be able to be archived but most sites allow spiders to crawl most of their content so it will show up in search engines.

Wheels

Wheels

thanks for the info! Not sure how this is an improvement over finding what one wants on the wayback machine, and then installing that web address (via wayback) into one's favorites. Maybe I'm missing something. Please explain.

#4423884 - 06/01/18 01:58 AM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
thanks for the info! Not sure how this is an improvement over finding what one wants on the wayback machine, and then installing that web address (via wayback) into one's favorites. Maybe I'm missing something. Please explain.

You can't find something at the Internet Archive if it isn't already there. By using their Save Page Now feature you create you own reference points for a site.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4424019 - 06/01/18 06:31 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

So, this is a way of directing/requesting the Wayback machine to crawl the directed/requested site?

#4424042 - 06/01/18 07:59 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
So, this is a way of directing/requesting the Wayback machine to crawl the directed/requested site?

Yes, but unfortunately it will only crawl the page you put in the Save Page Now box and not the entire site. If you want to save multiple pages you will need to do them one at a time.

This article may help explain it better?
If You See Something, Save Something – 6 Ways to Save Pages In the Wayback Machine: https://blog.archive.org/2017/01/25/see-something-save-something/

Another thing that works is to save the first page using the Save Page Now feature and then continue to click on links in the page saved by the wayback machine. If the link has not been saved the wayback machine will pop up a dialogue box letting you know and ask you if you want to save it to the archive.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4424210 - 06/02/18 06:51 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I understand better, now. Thanks for the info, and the very useful link.

#4424308 - 06/03/18 01:09 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I did a search for Janes WW2 fighters, EAW and CFS-2 and was able to download installation ISO files from a site in Wales named FIREDROP:

https://firedrop.com/6dd19e96be7ac31f4cec186e1a784db3

The downloads came as 7-zip "*.7z" files, and extracting the contents gave me folders with the ISO files in them.
However, attempting to mount them, or read them with programs able to read ISO files, gave the same result- the ISO files are corrupted smile
Clone CD did not report any errors, but the CDs it made appeared to contain no readable data.

smile Jel

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4424349 - 06/03/18 05:13 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: MrJelly]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Just sent you a PM with some extremely interesting links. Please don't delete it when cleaning-out your currently full PM hopper wink

#4424373 - 06/03/18 07:21 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: MrJelly]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MrJelly
I did a search for Janes WW2 fighters, EAW and CFS-2 and was able to download installation ISO files from a site in Wales named FIREDROP:

https://firedrop.com/6dd19e96be7ac31f4cec186e1a784db3

The downloads came as 7-zip "*.7z" files, and extracting the contents gave me folders with the ISO files in them.
However, attempting to mount them, or read them with programs able to read ISO files, gave the same result- the ISO files are corrupted smile
Clone CD did not report any errors, but the CDs it made appeared to contain no readable data.

smile Jel

Am I correct in assuming you were looking for downloadable versions of the abovementioned games? If so, I will remember that during my searches of the interweb. Ironic that I have all 3 games, store-bought, and in boxes with all the manuals, keyboard layouts, and so forth. The link I sent to you about JWW2F has all that (except for the game itself--2 CDs, originally), plus several tons more.

Last edited by RIBob; 06/03/18 07:23 PM.
#4424490 - 06/04/18 01:55 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I have made some progress today smile
With info received in a PM, plus a bit of searching I have a good version of Janes WW2 fighters running in Win 10 via the d3d windower, and MS Flight simulator 1, which runs in its own window with full screen option.
One interesting point is that I cannot find a no-CD crack for MS Flight simulator 1, but I do not need one.
Win 10 allows me to mount the ISO file for CD1 on a virtual drive, which I have done, and the game runs well without the actual CD in the DVD drive.
I must check this in Win 7 and see how it goes there wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4424586 - 06/04/18 08:50 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
Man I have forgotten more information from old flight sim games over the last 25+ years than I can ever hope to remember key words and phrases from games in the small hope that I might find them on the site you guys linked. It is a wonderful place to go digging around and it makes me remember how much time and money I have spent over the years as well...dammit.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#4430081 - 07/12/18 08:47 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: MrJelly]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MrJelly
I have made some progress today smile
With info received in a PM, plus a bit of searching I have a good version of Janes WW2 fighters running in Win 10 via the d3d windower, and MS Flight simulator 1, which runs in its own window with full screen option.
One interesting point is that I cannot find a no-CD crack for MS Flight simulator 1, but I do not need one.
Win 10 allows me to mount the ISO file for CD1 on a virtual drive, which I have done, and the game runs well without the actual CD in the DVD drive.
I must check this in Win 7 and see how it goes there wink

JWW2F runs well on Win 7; Don't recall ever needing a wrapper on Win7. I strongly suggest investigating the links I sent you to find the "Suggested Mods" (might not be that exact phrase, and not easy to find) for JWW2F, and installing them once the basic game is up and running in a stable manner.

With the suggested Mods, JWW2F is very nice.

Last edited by RIBob; 07/12/18 08:48 PM.
#4430087 - 07/12/18 09:06 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Information [Re: RIBob]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I have WW II fighters running great on Win 7 64 bit using nglide..I have a bunch of mods from the old MODS cd just haven't added them in,,And have FS1 running with the cd in Just had to add a fix for joystick troubles

Russ
Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.