Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4422932 - 05/27/18 02:08 PM Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Just yesterday I was rummaging around on the Interwebs, looking for mods/patches for "Jane's WW 2 Fighters", yet another "orphan" game I own, but have enjoyed playing in the past. It is reminiscent of EAW.

Well, I found a few sites that were supposed to have a gold-mine of add-ons, patches, and Mods, but naturally, the links led to sites that were all long ago extinct.

Using the dead links, I consulted the "Wayback Machine", properly known as internet archive,org. I typed in some of the dead links, and lo and behold, the long-dead sites were there. Not only that, but the whole site, including any linked material that was stored on that site. I just had to backtrack in time to a point just before the site went dead to get the info that I wanted.

Turns out one can "search" internet archive, and it will possibly yield the site you are looking for. Searching for "Jane's WW II Fighters" gave scant results, but searching for "Jane's WW 2 Fighters" struck gold.

I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I'll bet that someone sharper than me has thought of it, though.

Submitted for your consideration.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/27/18 02:10 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4423004 - 05/27/18 11:52 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: RIBob]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Did you find all the mods you want? I have many on CDs and backup drives.

Remove before flight
#4423028 - 05/28/18 01:36 AM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: RIBob]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I went there and found nothing just graphs on when the sites were accessed..And my mods CD's are dead..Appreciate any help

Russ
Semper Fi
#4423038 - 05/28/18 03:21 AM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: RIBob]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
You can use the Internet Archive to save pages too.

Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu
Using the Internet Archive effectively: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...internet-archive-effectively#Post4296057

Tired of "losing" your favorite gaming site or any site that you just love to frequent for that matter. By using the Internet Archive's "Save Page Now" feature to save snapshots of those sites you can help keep them "alive" for your future use. It used to take 6 months before the page would actually show in the archive database but now you can check right after you save it and see if it was actually saved. If you get a group together you can pool your efforts to save just about everything from a site for future use.

• Go to the Wayback website: https://archive.org/web/
  • Paste the URL of the page you want to archive into the Save Page Now box (at the bottom-right).
  • Click on the Save Page button (or press enter).
  • Wait while the page is being crawled. Once the archiving process is complete, the URL of the archived page appears.

Not every link or page on a site will be able to be archived but most sites allow spiders to crawl most of their content so it will show up in search engines.

Wheels

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4423077 - 05/28/18 10:30 AM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: RIBob]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Still no Deceitful Monkey. People say nothing's ever really gone from the web, but Deceitful Monkey is non-find-able by me. A game/puzzle website in which you would literally search every pixel of interesting/funny drawings for clues to advance the story line. My memory is that it was dmonkey.com

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4423170 - 05/28/18 09:21 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: rwatson]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Originally Posted by rwatson
I went there and found nothing just graphs on when the sites were accessed..And my mods CD's are dead..Appreciate any help

I'll look around. Jane's WWII Fighters won't install for me but I have a lot of zips and stuff that I think I can upload to a secure file host. Anything in particular you want?

Remove before flight
#4423176 - 05/28/18 10:01 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: RIBob]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
I have a few backup CDs/DVDs of mods for the original Ghost Recon series, they are archived in a big box in the cellar here smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4423372 - 05/29/18 10:43 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: Skycat]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Skycat
Did you find all the mods you want? I have many on CDs and backup drives.

I dunno. I got the "CD" that the site was offering, for FREE, and that has a TON of stuff in it.

#4423376 - 05/29/18 11:17 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: rwatson]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by rwatson

Here's the link to the extinct site:http://web.archive.org/web/20121112135829/http://ww2fighters.org/ The site is still "alive", and links to items within the site itself are still downloadable.

Link to CD, given me by another member here:https://yadi.sk/d/MhR1JiL53Qj8ez. Basically, this CD is the "Gold MIne" of their best stuff, and it contains a TON of material. A part of this two-part download gave my computer's security system fits, so I disabled the service, downloaded the file, and re-enabled the service. I scanned the suspect file with two, independent, and updated malware/spyware programs, and both said the file was GTG. I've been using various files within it today in upgrading my version of the Jane's WW 2 fighters", and so far, so good. Your call.

There is a so-called "Essential" list of downloads/mods. I found this on the "CD" version.

Here it is:
"Recommended Mods
WWI Fighters has an enormous amount of mods available, but some have become nearly indispenable.

First, start by improving your flight models by using Target's Flight Model Pack v4 or v5. These greatly enhance the aircraft's handling characteristics, making them behave more like proper fighters, each with their individual quirks. v5 introduces spins, so be warned !

Next, get some beautiful smoke and Flak explosion effects by installing Snorri's Smoke. These will make your smoke and flak explosions seem less solid and more....smoke-like !

Shadow's new clouds effects, also increase the feeling of flying in a real world, allowing you to catch glimpses of the earth through gaps in the now more fluffy cloud layers.

Something for the ground crews, grab Swiper's Airfield Marker Board to relace that horrible yellow blob by a more realistic red/white chequered pattern.

For complete immersion, depending on your favourite side, grab Shadow's Allied Radio Soundpack or Zilly's Axis Radio Soundpack. These are complete replacements for the normal music.elb archive, and will replace the background music with very immersive radio chatter, giving you a feeling of being right in the middle of the action.

I will leave it up to you to choose from the myriad of skins available for every aircraft and ground vehicle in the game, just pick and choose your favourite ones !"

Of course, there are a WHOLE LOT of other mods for JWW2F, but I've installed most of the "Essential" ones, and it is GTG, so far. There IS a difference! I leave tracking down the specific "essential" add-ons to you. Doing the search--and they are usually clearly named, and logically grouped-- will show just how much stuff was included in the CD. You will have to rummage around to find the Mods you like.

For every single installation, Read the 'README" docs first! In most cases, the file is simply transferred to the "DATA" folder within the game itself, and the "Bat' installer button is clicked some of the better "README" TXT files show every step. Others not so much' but once you get used to it, it's very easy. Apparently, there is an essential program, (IIRC) SQZip) that is used in installing all these files. I strongly suggest opening the file you want to install, and ensure that it has the "SQZip file contained within it. Once that is done, even files that lack such will be able to use the previously installed "SQZip" file.

If I can be of help, do not hesitate to contact me.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/29/18 11:49 PM.
#4423407 - 05/30/18 03:08 AM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: RIBob]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
There were a couple of versions of the "official" mods CD. The best feature of the mods CD was that it had a front end GUI that made it easy to install and swap mods to the game. I don't even want to know how much $ Bill Grant spent churning out those "free" CDs and sending them out to anybody that requested one. The fan site was also privately funded as I recall, long after the heydey of the game.

Remove before flight
#4424371 - 06/03/18 07:14 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: Skycat]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Sent to MrJelly today, in response to a post he made:

"I got this link to the "Holy Grail" of stuff for Jane's WW 2 Fighters (hereafter "JWW2" from a member here. It's the contents of a CD someone made that had all their best mods and so forth on it.

One of the two downloads comes through OK, but the other one prompted a security alert on my machine, forcing me to disable the security feature, temporarily, in order for the download to be re-attempted. after re-enabling the security feature, I scanned the file with a few of my updated security scanners, and it turned out to be OK; I have been plundering it since then. Fabulous stuff, and there's even a "Russian Front' version of JWW2 in there.

Link to download site: https://yadi.sk/d/MhR1JiL53Qj8ez

RIBob"

Note that this does NOT include a copy of the game. However, I suggest downloading it, and saving it until one obtains a copy of the game. There's some really terrific stuff there.

#4460776 - 02/10/19 07:19 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: RIBob]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Nancy, North-East of FRANCE
That is just awesome ! I was desperate for some Jane's WWII mods.

The content of those archives is just insane but I'm running into some silly issue : I just can't find FixFonts.zip which obviously fixes the wrong display of the game fonts while flying or looking at the map.
Someone asked me for it a few days ago and that prompted me to inspect my old usb drives where I stack a lot of mods but Zilch! Nada !
I'd really appreciate if someone could send me the file via a link (don't hesitate to PM me). It is pretty irritating to get all those incredible mods and not being able to fully enjoy the sim because of a missing fix...
So just let me know if by any chance someone still has this tiny but essential mod.

Fly safe,

Andromedius

Last edited by Andromedius; 02/10/19 07:25 PM.

'Au Royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus'. Pierre Dac.
In the land of the blind, one-eyed men are badly looked upon.
#4460778 - 02/10/19 07:29 PM Re: Accessing "Dead" Web Sites, and Mining Long-Lost Info [Re: RIBob]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Bah. I tried this on http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/ to get old HOTAS Cougar profiles and... download links don't work.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.