Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 562 of 608 1 2 560 561 562 563 564 607 608
#4421152 - 05/17/18 04:02 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Thanks for the info, JRT. I managed to reinstall the Free Cell version I like.
So far there have been no other problems, other than having to make Windows aware of my printer.
That was no problem once I discovered the difficulty.

Thanks for the reference. It's been a little busy around here but I will look at the YouTube complaints as soon as I can. So far the joystick, IR-5 and now the printer seem to be working OK, Surely some software will also catch up.
So far, no insistence of forcing one to use Edge. I hope that freedom remains as it does not seem to have downloaded properly for me.
Since Edge seemed to have gone first when I started having my original problem with W=10 I have avoided using it and in fact can not open it for use.
So far I haven't missed it.

Update: It did seem the computer with the W 10 1803 update was a bit slower in starting. But that may just be me.

Last edited by Fittop; 05/17/18 01:08 PM. Reason: Update
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4421213 - 05/17/18 03:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Here are a couple documents pertaining to 1803 you might wish to read. Others may as well.

If you have already installed 1803 this may be of limited value but still worth the read
https://pureinfotech.com/avoid-problems-installing-windows-10-april-2018-update-1803/

These are the features removed by installing 1803. It might help you find any hidden problems resulting from installing 1803.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-1803-removed-features

Sometime the first time you boot after a major update the computer will run slower. Mine seems to settle down the next few boots.

More clouds and rain today. ⛈️

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4421394 - 05/18/18 02:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Thank you for the info, JRT.
I will try to research your offerings as soon as I get some breathing space.

Meanwhile, the sun is burning off the outside wet spots that were created at around 2:30 in the morning. The wind then was high enough to wake me.
A record-matching 96 degrees is expected today. Really need to get the mosquito repellent working.

#4421608 - 05/19/18 04:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Clouds, overcast and rain, oh my.....

Update 1803 is finally a knockin' at my door and wishes me to invite it in. I will install it but I'll also unplug all my peripherals first. That is highly recommended for some reason. I'll lose the use of my cordless mouse for a bit and I'll have to keep the WiFi adapter plugged in without the hub. That roaring sound you hear is rain pouring down. It has been doing that off and on for days.

I have finally gotten familiar enough with the new version of Photoshoo CC 2017 to start doing some digital painting again. I enjoy that. It beats the heck out of buying paints canvas and turpentine or linseed oil. It has been ages since I used any of that including my easel. all that stuff is in storage now. My favorite uncle on my dad's side gave me my first easel and paints when I was about ten. A talented billboard painter friend of the family gave me a box full of his old paintbrushes. I was set. There were even two sisters next door who gladly modeled for me and did not criticize too much, in the beginning at least.

Back then, I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to be an artist, writer, actor, airline pilot or join the Air Force. Yes, LeRoy "our" Air Force. Typical topics for most kids that age I suppose. But there was quite a bit of schooling ahead of all that. I had no way of knowing how MUCH. So I was in no hurry to make up my mind.

When it was time for college, Dad wanted me to follow him into the Merchant Marine Academy. There was a caveat, the sea was not for a family man, he cautioned. Long absences had ruined his marriage and many others. When I hear the song sung by "Looking Glass titled "Brandy", I think back to that time with Dad especially when I hear ..."But my life, my love, and my lady is the sea". I wanted a wife and family so I put away those papers that guaranteed me a spot and looked elsewhere. It was the right decision. But it hurt my dad.

After an eternity of school, ( the 4th grade took 6 years alone). Mercifully I was finally kicked out for not shaving. OK, maybe not. wink
I ended up doing none of those things I had considered as a kid as an occupation. And yet, almost all of them were part of what I did choose. The profession I finally chose used any talent I might have had as artist, writer and even actor. Advertising. Odd how things work out.

Fittop:

It is not strictly a bug repellent but if you will not be entering any elevators, standing upwind of populated areas or riding in a car with others, put a few drops of official "Pepé Le Pew" brand ersatz skunk oil on all exposed skin and you're set. No mosquitoes will trouble you. Heck, nothing with any olfactory sensitivity whatsoever will even come near. It takes a little getting used to at first. But you could dab some on and sleep soundly all night in a cage full of starving lions completely undisturbed.

Careful, overdo it and risk becoming rather lonesome before it wears off. winkngrin

BRANDY (Lyrics)

dooda-dit-dooda), (dit-dooda-dit-dooda)

There's a port on a western bay
And it serves a hundred ships a day
Lonely sailors pass the time away
And talk about their homes

And there's a girl in this harbor town
And she works layin' whiskey down
They say "Brandy, fetch another round"
She serves them whiskey and wine

The sailors say "Brandy, you're a fine girl" (you're a fine girl)
"What a good wife you would be" (such a fine girl)
"Yeah your eyes could steal a sailor from the sea"
(dooda-dit-dooda), (dit-dooda-dit-dooda-dit)

Brandy wears a braided chain
Made of finest silver from the North of Spain
A locket that bears the name
Of a man that Brandy loved

He came on a summer's day
Bringin' gifts from far away
But he made it clear he couldn't stay
No harbor was his home

The sailor said " Brandy, you're a fine girl" (you're a fine girl)

"But my life, my love, and my lady is the sea"

Yeah, Brandy used to watch his eyes
When he told his sailor's story
She could feel the ocean fall and rise
She saw its ragin' glory
But he had always told the truth, lord, he was an honest man
And Brandy does her best to understand

At night when the bars close down
Brandy walks through a silent town
And loves a man who's not around
She still can hear him say

She hears him say " Brandy, you're a fine girl" (you're a fine girl)

"Brandy, you're a fine girl" (you're a fine girl)

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4421670 - 05/20/18 12:32 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

1803 installed smoothly. At least it seems to have so far. Some settings have been changed to default. For instance, I had taken those arrows off the shortcuts on my desktop and they returned. I got rid of them again. Like you, I lost an app that was said to be incompatible with the new version. The app was for customizing the desktop. In my case it put the time and date in large letters there and a little weather gadget. I'll look for another. It seems a bit sluggish for me too. That will probably sort itself. Glad that's over..... if it really is.

I must say MS was careful to announce what was to happen and keep me informed through the process. I cannot say precisely how long it took. I dozed off and when I woke it was done. If I have no more major problems I'd say MS did a good job with it. I assume it was patched before being pushed. I noticed an edge icon was new on the desktop. I already had one in my task bar so I deleted it. The Win 10 mail app looks a bit different but seems to work the same. LMK if you find other glitches and I'll keep you informed.

#4421762 - 05/20/18 06:49 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Clouds, overcast...etc.... redux.

Fittop:

1803 is behaving so far. The new features are nice. I may actually use some of them. Edge has a number of upgrades. It is going to be very important in many facets of future versions of Windows. Many new features will depend upon it. We will likely be forced to use it as our browser eventually. I'll check Edge out once more.

I reinstalled the app the 1803 installation notice stated was incompatible with 1803.... it works as well as it ever it did. I did lose my favorite defrag app, Auslogics Disk Defrag. I've used it for years with nary a problem. Now after the April Update, it has just disappeared. Apparently Norton, Malwarebytes and other Av now consider it a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program). That could be for the unwary. Me not one, you see. So me unhappy that I was not given an option or a lot more more explanation. It was not a MS program. It was my program and it was on my computer.

I can see the problem. When you install "Disk Defrag" you run the risk of changing your homepage to Yahoo and the installer wants to install it's proprietary trial Speed Up software. It is a danger ONLY if you are not an observant soul and you do not carefully seek out the tiny typed option cunningly disguised as "DECLINE" and click to decline installing those dubious goodies. Anyhow, I have replaced that better performing app with Piriform's (the developer of CCleaner) "Defrggler". I find it is adequate but slow as a prehistoric ant trapped in amber.

As an example. Last night I tried late night defragging. I cannot recommend this activity for anyone other than for those who have a sleeping disorder. The defragging usually took about an hour and a half tops. I did that with the old app once a week every week until this week. When the new app had made its initial search for untidily fragmented files, a little notice popped up telling me the likely time needed to defrag would be.... 1 DAY!!! I said it was not a suitable activity for sleepy heads.

It actually took 5 hours to defrag the 7% of the HDD that it suggested needed attention. That's-a-lotta-time!! So I am still looking for something more like Disk Defrag. Something that does the job but takes less than 5 hours or 1 whole day. I thought there were 24 hours in every day. Some do SEEM longer than others. Maybe Auslogics will take the hint and get rid of the cra...junk in their installers. There is even something objectionable detected by Malwarebytes in the portable version. Could be a false positive, but I doubt it.

I have now loaded all my apps at least once so I'm sure the rest are present and operational. My sound, USB system, Bluetooth and WiFi are working properly. Things seem to have sped up. I am breathing easier now. Look out for the October update which may bring even bigger changes. MS seems to know where they want to go and they are planning to bring us along. They have made good improvement in the installation of update process.

Perhaps almost gone are the desperate days of dreading big updates? I saw a cartoon once that showed a man standing in front of his PS2, XP, or whatever. His head was turned away. He had his left hand over his eyes. His right arm was extended toward his computer. There was a pistol in the right hand. The computer had a sickly/sour face on the monitor. The tongue was hanging out of the mouth and there were little marks radiating from the box indicating great heat. Under all that were the words " Updating Windows Do not turn off your computer". winkngrin

#4421973 - 05/21/18 07:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Saw my first Swift of the year yesterday which says it all about the prolonged cold weather we have had to contend with. They used to arrive about the first few days of May but not any longer it seems. Came away from the harbour without a bite but wasn't the only one. Water becoming clearer which is favourable for mackerel.

I am having webpage access problems and incomplete Facebook pages which I have put down to the idiosyncrasies of Win 10. If I knew what I was doing I could wipe the disc and go back to Win7 which was a lot more preferable OS than this one.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4422017 - 05/21/18 10:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

For the benefit of those less familiar with the bird than you. Swifts look a lot like Swallows but I've read they are are not related to them. Remarkably, except when nesting, swifts spend their lives in the air, living on the insects caught in flight; they drink, feed, and often mate and sleep on the wing. Some individuals go 10 months without landing. No other bird spends as much of its life in flight. Their maximum horizontal flying speed is 111.6 km/h. Quite a bird, I'd say.

There are many species of Swifts. Only the White-throated Swift, Vaux's Swift and the Black Swift are all native birds to the western USA and up into southern British Columbia, Canada.

Be sure to send a pix of any big catch. I just gave my grandson an early birthday present. An electronic fish weighing scale. It also has a back lit digital read out and other features. Far better than the old scales I used back when. Not very expensive on Amazon. He loves it. He is planning to go Rock fishing soon (Striped Bass). There are several fish given that sobriquet . They get that named because they like to hide in the rocks I'm told. Others say it is because you think you have hooked a rock when you try to reel them in.

Congrats on that big, royal wedding. If you were not invited, and as you are now pretending to be Welsh, I'd dash off a nasty note of deep displeasure to the Prince of Wales. He will probably make them do the whole thing over again just for you. winkngrin 🤴

#4422127 - 05/22/18 04:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Cloudy today and warm but no rain is expected. That returns tomorrow.

I have good news. 1803 is behaving nicely and I managed to get my old disk defragger back from the greedy clutches of Malwarebytes. It was a false positive and, apparently, win 10 1803 changed the settings somehow in Malwarebytes so that Disk Defrag was given a false positive and could not be reinstalled.

Somehow I failed to note that 'Auslogics' was a Down Unda software company. When contacted, they made every effort to reply promptly and to help. As I am quick to complain when I get poor service, I feel I should also be quick to praise and to thank when I receive good service above the average. I have done so.

Dux:
Going back to Win 7 is so attractive. I still have it on my XP which is in storage. There are however many nasty exploits for Win 7 and soon it will no longer be supported. Win 10 will also go the way of the Do Do and pass into starring in the bargain basement bins of discounted software. Microsoft 365 with the emphasis now on Microsoft, not Windows, is just around the corner. That may shift us screaming into a new paradigm of computing. We shall see.

You know your system better than I. However, your problems seems to me could be browser oriented for the web pages you cannot reach. You can change what is blocked one way or another in most popular browsers in the security section of setup. I have little knowledge of Facebook so I will not comment. I closed my account ages ago due to privacy concerns. Turns out I did the correct thing.

I follow some political folk on Twitter but never Tweet back very often. I will soon close that account as the notifications can be many and distracting. Guess I'm not a sociable fellow after all. winkngrin

#4422212 - 05/23/18 02:19 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Think most may be getting busy with the upcoming three day weekend ahead, though in this corner there may be less five-days-a-week workers than in others.
Well, at least workers that are getting officially paid. Dedication and devotion to a loved hobby counting much more than money to a lot of us.

But I do remember hearing and using the phrase: "Just think, we're getting paid for this." Those moments seemed to make up for those 3 am roustings.

I'm amazed at all the stuff you find, JRT. So far I am keeping a low profile computer-wise. Too darn busy misplacing things and then trying to find them.
Perhaps a clowning gnome has decided to play with me for a bit.

As she was leaving with my van, she asked: "And why do we need two cars?"
You know that had to be the jinx, after I, through closed teeth, explained I almost missed showing up for work when a car decided to go on a blink.
And that as long as I can, I had and will have a spare after that.

Five days after her question, I almost didn't didn't leave the store because Murphy's Law rules. -Like the one that says:
"Things will go wrong at the worst possible time."
Wonder if I'll have to get a taxi to the doctor tomorrow? Or maybe the battery will start the car. Time for a replacement anyway.
But you'll have a hard time getting me to believe she didn't jinxed it. shedevil

#4422257 - 05/23/18 03:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We have 76°F. at 11:00. The high should be in the mid 80's F. with thunder boomers later. Skies are partly sunny now.

Fittop:

I do hope you had the good fortune, while thumbing a ride to your quack's office, to be picked up by a beautiful woman. A sexy lady who made advances and finally drew a gun (possibly a water gun) and had her wicked way with you.

Who knows? Telling that story to your significant other might well weigh heavily upon the van issue. I mean, to the point all the two car business is returned to proper order never to change again. OK, I see your point LeRoy. Telling THAT story might also bring down the wrath of "She who must be obeyed". It's a crap shoot. I'd be willing for Fittop to risk his neck trying it, despite the obvious danger to life and limb. Mainly his.

Would I have told that story if it were my late wife? If she was still "Late", yes. If not, good lord NO! That was a jealous woman. winkngrin

#4422311 - 05/23/18 08:37 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

Microsoft 365...that appears to be all about enterprise, business and education which suggests hard work to me.

Probably a complete coinkidinky but I ran CC Cleaner as I regularly do but this time ticked the 'wipe free space' box which was overdue due to the length of time it takes - about 4.5 hours. Now the webpage access problems have gone away and I have not the slightest idea how that could be achieved by clearing the HD free space. confused

More swifts around here today swooping between the houses with their shrill calls.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4422317 - 05/23/18 09:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps...

The final words of SNAFU's first and inaugural post re this thread ended with 'TALLY HO!' Those words would have been appropriate to his last attack as he swooped in on that staffel of 109s all those years ago.

We have often wondered what happened to him after that final sortie and the question has been subject to much surmise ever since. Did he really prang his kite next to a nunnery for wayward young ladies at Chateau de Brassiere? We came to that inescapable conclusion when a few months later a letter was delivered by diplomatic bag (I've forgotten that woman's name) which requested SNAFU's presentation copy of the illustrated Kama Sutra to be dropped on a 'Rhubarb' mission over the grounds of said convent. Despite successfully carrying out that hazardous operation with no losses, nothing more was heard but I would like to think that our old mate got at least half-way through that book before he expired.

You will remember that Olga was briefed for a single person Commando raid on the Chateau to effect the rescue of our gallant chum. The details of that raid if indeed it actually took place are secure under the Official Secrets Act and no amount of cajoling by me would influence her to relate the story. If there was one quality about Olga it was her determination to keep a confidence - I'll say that for her. By the way....it wasn't she who told me that you both slept together on top of the Studley Municipal Gasometer after that New Years Eve episode. rolleyes

Manfred von Richtofen

#4422339 - 05/23/18 10:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Yes, many are the mysterious ways computers are both broken and repaired. You can sometimes perform minor miracles by just deleting the browser cache. Looking online, you'll often see someone posting about fixing a problem by doing this or that and saying, "I have no idea why that worked, but it did".

CCleaner has been on my desktop since before we began gathering here. I found a third party add-on for it which adds many more opportunities for cleaning. That is called CC Enhancer, I believe. You can selective turning the added program cleaning on or off.

I defrag and also run CCleaner once every week.

😆 HA! ROFLMAO. I recall glancing at a page or two of that very volume. It used to reside in the outdoor toilet on a table right next to the battery operated lamp and the 100 power glass once used to view aerial photos. Considering it contained photographic illustrations,perhaps the abridged version of the book might have been a better choice at that. Major SNAFU, RIP. Runaway If Possible. Ummm, dead,eh? ...then I doubt he can.

You deserve congrats old man. It appears you have once and for all cleared up the most stubborn secret of HWH. A secret formerly wrapped in a Gordian knot, set deep inside an enigma. Namely, the one thing Olga could always be depended on for. Funny, I always thought it was something else. winkngrin

#4422391 - 05/24/18 08:14 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Weather is inexplicably on its very beast behaviour which is why I am happy that I have Win7 installed, thus avoiding MS Guineapigging me with their latest unstable betas, breaking all sorts of innocent software. According to my sources even the trusty old Grand Prix Legends is affected by the 1083 abomination. I am seriously considering a life after and without MicroDisaster's latest, feeblest OS; perhaps a Mac running Parallels, under which a minimum Microsoft installation can be maintained in chains and shackles for running games only, the rest of my browsing and internet business being trusted to someone who doesn't release infested boils of ill-deviced code twice a year with impossibly silly names like "spring" of "fall" update.

The weather being so fair, I took advantage of it and went to what is called the Danish Riviera up north along the coast of Zealand for a couple of days relaxing, walking and beach bumming.

Attached Files IMG_20180522_101654203.jpgIMG_20180521_101422120.jpg

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4422397 - 05/24/18 10:08 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps...

JRT...I checked out CCEnhancer from the MajorGeeks download page but Malwarebytes blocked it, warning of malware. Perhaps there is a more reliable source?

Manfred von Richtofen

#4422420 - 05/24/18 12:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Not much to report. We have been getting lots of rain for the past week. Forecast is another week of rain. Good for the lawn and plants, but bad for the convertibles and flying. I did do a quick run with the Maserati and made it without getting any rain. But luck does seem to have a way of cane snapping me in the balls. They had paved a road and I was committed before I knew it. So no rain, but lots of tar/asphalt spatter on the car. Uuugggghhhhhh. Long hard cleaning effort to remedy that. Rain would have been preferable.

Today I am going to do some overdue hangar cleaning and rearranging. Funny how things can so quickly get messy when you are just focused on the main task of getting up in the air.

Windows 10, mixed bag with the recent update. It has kind of screwed-up one of my legacy games. Still runs, but you have to do a song and dance to get it to load now. Launching it with end up with two audible “clicks” thru the speakers and then black screen. “control-Alt-Delete takes you to task manager and then one of two things happens. It will either reopen the game correctly or will take you to the task manager box with the name of the program in it. Double click the name and it will either launch or crash. So it is a small adventure very time. I guess I will have to go through all my legacy games and see how each reacts. Why can’t they just leave me alone ? I don’t need every newest greatest thing. I just want what I am happy with.

I used to use CCleaner, but have been told by people that it is unnecessary with Win10. Also been told that it is not as necessary to run additional virus programs like Norton and McAfee. I don’t use the desktop for cruising the internet. That is all done on my iPad. My desktop is pretty much a gaming machine. The iPad is just amazing. They have developed an addition that shows ADS-B if you get a small hardware receiver.

You all can continue with your wonderful tales which I have no talent for.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4422461 - 05/24/18 05:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:

If you use your PC mostly for off line gaming you probably don't need much protection. Frankly, AV programs can be the source of getting infected and some do not want them. A program that works down to the deepest part of your system can be exploited by the bad guys to get control. Plus, by the time an exploit is discovered and the info incorporated into your AV that has probably taken some time. I'm cautious. I still us an AV. The best I could find. I just feel more secure. IMHO having good passwords and a good password manager like "Last Pass" or "Dashlane" is more important that the other stuff when browsing. A good encrypting program and method is best for offline security for important or sensitive data on one's computer.

I think Windows can do a lot of cleaning especially in 1803 and future versions but that is not as controllable or thorough as CCleaner. That CCleaner enhancer app adds even more control. To each his own. The main thing is that you consistently remove the grunge and junk from the pipes on a regular basis. A caveat, I would take great care in using the registry cleaner. That could break things though in all my years of using CC it never has done my system harm when I used it. Windows does not recommend using a reg cleaner.

However you do it, you must or should do it. Or over time your system will inevitably slow down.Then it may take a long time to remove the detritus built up. I always use the FREE version of CC, so it costs me nothing but a few seconds of my valuable time left upon the Earth each week. It's still a useful and safe piece of software. I believe their default toggles render it on the safer side. It's also one of the few pieces of software that hasn't gone to total S**t over it's reign as one of the most popular cleaning products on the market. Which earns it points in my book.

Another good program to use is Steve Gibson and GRCs "SpinRite". This keeps your HDD healthy and will most often revive it should it slow over time and fail (not boot). At least to the point it will run and boot so you can get the data off it. This works for spinning drives as well as SSDs. The program is NOT free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpinRite

Dux:

CCenhancer by SingularLabs is OK and IMHO a Malwarebytes false positive. I have the latest paid version of Malwarebytes and it did not complain so far. I prefer to get my programs from the developer site if I can. Here is the Singular Labs website where you can find how to download the enhancer program.

https://singularlabs.com/software/ccenhancer/

A Malwarebytes tip:

1- Load Malwarebytes
2- On the dashboard click on the settings (cog) icon
3- Click on the Protection settings
4- Scroll down to the Potential Threat Protection settings
5- Click on the drop down menu in Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPS)
6- Choose "Warn User"

From now on you will be warned BEFORE a program or file is quarantined so you can choose to exclude it or not. Place for exclusions is on the right from PUPS. You can click there to exclude a program from being quarantined due to false positive ID

I hope this helps.

OG:
I agree, anytime we can coax Dux into writing even a brief HWH story it is a treat to read. Not sure you don't have the talent to write one yourself. You can fly on land, you can fly in the air. You must surely be able to write. Maybe we all can't fly as well as you or write so well as Dux. We can but try.

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 05/24/18 05:12 PM. Reason: repetition of words unexpectedly unwise

#4422465 - 05/24/18 05:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

But, but, ..... but trying is hard.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4422643 - 05/25/18 05:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:

Many ladies of my acquaintance claim hard can be very good. I suppose they mean hard cash? As any of them would tell you, women never lie, so, unless they are lying, it must be true. 🤭

Indy Car's biggest race of the year unfolds Sunday at 12:15 p.m. ET with the 102nd running of the Indianapolis 500 at the Brickyard. Aexander Rossi is the Vegas favorite at 8-1, followed closely by Ryan Hunter-Reay, Will Power and Helio Castroneves at 10-1.

Now that the Indianapolis 500 field is locked, SportsLine simulated the event 10,000 times and the results were surprising. I rerad the model says Danica Patrick, who is getting 20-1 Indy 500 odds for her final career race, finishes outside the top 10.

Since last mentioning her I have done more research Jens. Patrick, the only woman to win an IndyCar race, has six career top-10 finishes in the Indianapolis 500, but hasn't raced in this event since 2011. She's the sentimental favorite for many, but the model doesn't love her chances to contend this weekend. Although because a top ten finish is so unlikely for her, it might be a tremendous boon for odds makers and a few brave betters in Las Vegas. winkngrin

Page 562 of 608 1 2 560 561 562 563 564 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.