Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4381965 - 09/28/17 11:20 PM Trainsim World & Great Western Express  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Dovetail Games has released it's follow-up to TSW CSX with Great Western Express which models a portion of the line between London Paddington and Reading (approx. 38 miles). You can learn to drive a HST, along with another passenger diesel, as well as a freight train-- no steam as yet. DTG have taken a lot of stick over the release of CSX and in some quarters a lot of stick for the release of GWR for a variety of reasons-- no tools, dodgy physics, dodgy graphical issues with gauges/meters etc. This is only the second train sim that I'm aware of that models cold & dark starts and the sophisticated inner workings of the control cab of a train and DTG have been patching as they learn of the problems (not sure who their playtesters were but that's for another day). There have been complaints about the graphics but I'm pleasantly surprised that my venerable 760 renders this offering (and CSX) so well even at lower settings. I also like the fact you can walk around and interact with the environment in both. I'm still not confident running the CSX locos, and have just done the initial introductory training to the GWR HST, and will be most likely overshooting station platforms soon! I will say that, as usual, your mileage may vary. I enjoyed DTGs Trainsim 20XX despite it's warts, and so am hopeful that their IP of TSW will gather steam (pun intended).

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4419641 - 05/08/18 06:15 PM Re: Trainsim World & Great Western Express [Re: Leaf85]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Since the GWR release, DTG have also managed to pump out "Rapid Transit" (a German rail S-Bahn set in Leipzig) and the more recent NEC (New York State) module. The 'Rapid Transit' module features S-Bahn commuter/passenger runs only and a single model DB BR 442. The NEC module has a mix of Amtrak commuter/passenger runs as well as CSX freight work. Please note you need to own CSX Heavy Haul in order to use one or more of the add-on sets. DTG/Steam Store do offer set 'deals'.

DoveTail's TSW is not without it's controversies like a lot of new/recent sims; so be advised. One of the main gripes I see fairly consistently is by those players who would suggest TSW is lacking substance due to smaller set mileages (compared to TS20XX's 100+ mile routes, or Run 8's 400+ miles of SoCal), numerically smaller locomotive and rail cars sets, minimal tutorials and scenarios. I don't necessarily disagree, however iirc there were a few train sets for Rail Works (Trainsimulator 20XX) that came with a scratching of scenarios and repaints, some with very short track mileage, that still managed to entertain. One might argue TSW's minimalist approach to tutorials and scenario offerings, as well as not having creator tools available yet, is extremely glaring in light of TS20XX's vast amount of player and community made content. The DYO (design your own) scenarios aspect is a fairly well used feature in DTG's Trainsim 20XX and most of us expected to see that element continue in the new TSW. The use of Steam Workshop as a repository for scenarios and so forth for TS20XX shows the value of having such tools available for players to use as there are some very good scenarios published there.

There are still some bugs and annoyances as well as a few niggles noted as expressed by members of the rail simming community on other forae. DTG were/are looking into those issues as far as I am aware. I'm not a rivet counter and haven't found anything to be a game breaker yet but I also won't dispute that a few players have been affected. The hope is that DTG will continue to make the fixes and flesh out TSW with more variety as well as release tools for scenario creators sooner than later. Certainly TSW's system of modules is graphically superior to any other offering in the rail sim milieu and as the DTG continue to work on their sim they seem to add a bit more flesh to the bones. Hopefully all this blather makes some sense. As with any sim, YMMV.

Last edited by Leaf85; 05/09/18 04:11 PM. Reason: added more blather

Currently dabbling in;
IL2BOS/BOM smile

#4420326 - 05/12/18 01:15 AM Re: Trainsim World & Great Western Express [Re: Leaf85]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
New module headed our way soon. WSR (West Somerset Railway) is a famous 25 mile heritage rail route in the UK. No steam locos in this iteration, DTG has chosen to release a Class 09 shunter, and a Class 47 locomotive, along with I believe Mk1 coaches in two historic variant colour schemes. There was a recent livestream that featured the 09 and a portion of the route (still a WiP/work in progress) and the 09 looked absolutely exquisite. DTG are also putting out a rebuild of their diesel-electric engines in the sim which should, along with brake fixes, correct the games physics. This initial release will be included in the WSR module and shortly DTG will begin to retroactively apply this major fix to all the modules with diesel-electrics.

Currently dabbling in;
IL2BOS/BOM smile

#4422126 - 05/22/18 04:00 PM Re: Trainsim World & Great Western Express [Re: Leaf85]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
The West Somerset Railway heritage line module for TSW will be available May 24. Key features;

Key Features

20-mile route of the preserved West Somerset Railway from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead, the longest standard gauge heritage railway in Britain
BR Class 47, D1661 ‘North Star’, and other members of the class, in British Railways Two-Tone Green Livery
BR Class 09, D4107 (09 019), and other members of the class, in British Railways Green Livery
BR Mk1 Coaches in Chocolate & Cream and Crimson & Cream Liveries
Highly detailed, feature-rich, driving cabs with accurate true-to-life performance and handling for both locomotives
Authentic and detailed sound recordings, recorded from the real locomotives
Six detailed and engaging scenarios for the route
60 Collectibles for you to find including 'Fire Buckets', 'Guard's Hand Lamp', 'GWR Poster' and 'Milk Churn'
Accessible tutorials for the Class 47 and Class 09 to get you started quickly
24-Hour Service Mode ‘Diesel Gala’ Timetable