Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4421610 - 05/19/18 05:14 PM Win 10 update 1803 and EAW  
Utherpen Offline
Utherpen  Offline

Hi, Has anyone had this problem? Ive been running 160 SpecialPublicRelease out of my GR folder perfectly, no problems whatsoever. Today my laptop updated to Windows 10 (1803) and I started to notice strange behavior with EAW

When I ran the PlaneSetExeTheatreSwitch I was presented with a pop-up window that said "Fix apps that appear blurry?" I escaped out of this several times. I NEVER had this pop-up window before this Windows update. I wasn't able to choose allow or cancel so I just escaped out, tried again, same result. Finally I was able to cancel the window and tell it to not ask again. But after that, EAW ran differently. It is slow to transition from selection to flying. Instant action or single mission both. It seems like there is some behind the scenes graphical switching going on. Hard to describe other that it is much slower to go into the actual flight.

I read what I could find online about problems people were having with the new windows build. And maybe there is a software switching problem when the game is opening with a screen resolution that is not the native display resolution? Or it is a problem with display scaling? My display is naturally set to 150%. But gain, that was never a problem before. I don't know.

This post is really just to ask if anyone else whos OS has updated is also noticing a problem. I don't know what it is, but I am POSITIVE that something has changed as a result of the Windows update. NOTHING else changed with my laptop.

as an aside, I also noticed that many games on my laptop, but not all, now show an installed date of today in the Windows Control Panel under the uninstall a program option.

Anyway, any information would be appreciated. I am considering rolling back the Windows update only because Im uncomfortable that something changed that I don't understand.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4421625 - 05/19/18 06:48 PM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: Utherpen]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Interesting. I think I ran EAW once since the April 2018 Windows update, didn't notice a problem.
Did you check if graphic drivers get updated too?

Overall I'm interested in what others have to say about EAW and the latest Win10 major update too.
Sorry I'm of no help.

#4421650 - 05/19/18 09:02 PM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

My computer guy, whom I trust, has advised me to wait at least a year to buy a new computer, since it will take that long to eliminate the invasion/hacking issues in current computer chips. According to him, it's a hardware issue, NOT a programming issue, although there are no shortage of those, either.

That being the case, my preliminary plan is to have computer with selectable Operating Systems. Enough Operating Systems to run all the Legacy Games I might want to do.

FWIW, I also noticed, by accident. a change in a lot of "installed dates" on my Win 7 computer files, as well. I hope all the other games I installed on that computer will run OK at this point.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/19/18 09:08 PM.
#4421974 - 05/21/18 07:11 PM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
Utherpen Offline
Utherpen  Offline

Hi Mark,

Interestingly my graphic drivers DID update at the same timestamp as when the windows 10 1803 happened........ What does this mean? I'm curious that you asked me this question. I don't have the option to roll back and the driver is up to date. Not sure what I should do other than 'weep' :((

#4421978 - 05/21/18 07:16 PM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: Utherpen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
I am not happy with the big W10 update either. It is as slow as a wet week.
ShoGun has been getting error messages with some software that he never got before.

frown Jel

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4422015 - 05/21/18 09:56 PM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: Utherpen]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Utherpen, I was thinking maybe it used windows update to put a new version in for your video card. Maybe its a new feature the message you got.
You could try to install from the manufactures site.though for the video driver, see if that clears anything up.

I have not done much with win10 since the update except run EAW and do some regular moveing around and html work. I haven't notice any issues that are being describe.

You can always backup your important files by hand then wipe the drive and reinstall win10. I did that about month before i got the April 2018 update.
It might help, but who knows really.

#4422047 - 05/22/18 01:55 AM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: MrJelly]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Microsoft has been adding code to their supported Windows systems in an attempt to thwart hacking of computers due to inherent, structural flaws in the processors. I detected some unusual modifications on my Win 7 computer, and I attribute the mods from Microsoft to be anti-hacking code, as well as the usual stuff. This has become a "National Security" issue for every country using computers. Other OS system mfrs/publishers are doing the same, being prodded by US FedGov. Processor chip mfrs are also hard at work addressing the vulnerabilities inherent in current chips. That said, anticipate quite a gap in time between chips already in the pipeline and newer chips that are less vulnerable to hacking.

A simple google search using "computer chip vulnerabilities" will tell you the whole story, and confirm the above.

Naturally, such coding serves to slow down overall processor speeds/capabilities. New chips are being designed and tested as I type.

When such new chips become available, say in a year or so, expect yet another OS from Microsoft designed to allow the speeds that we used to enjoy.

I would anticipate things getting worse before they get better.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/22/18 02:01 AM.
#4422943 - 05/27/18 03:02 PM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: RIBob]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I came across some info yesterday that said, in brief, that MS was aware of the issue, and will be issuing a corrective for it, perhaps in a month, perhaps a bit less.

Snippet of text from AR15.com:

"Originally Posted By Josh:
So Dell did something non standard and unsupported and now people are #%&*$# that MS broke their device.

MS has a massive installed base to support, there will always be issues when people do non standard things. It is what it is. They'll get it fixed in a day or two, and it has nothing to do with it being a "high end computer".
View All Quotes

Actually it has everything to do with it being a high end computer and Microsoft appears to be accepting responsibility for their bug in Windows 10. There is something about the GPU being wired directly which is how it achieves higher FPS. Typically laptops aren't connected that way, desktops are, and that type of connection was overlooked by Microsoft.

From multiple sources:
There is no application you SHOULD uninstall. The block put in place is intentional from Microsoft due to a graphics related bug in Windows 10 version 1803 which affects hybrid graphics platforms. They have a fix on the way planned around the fourth week of May".

I should add that yesterday, I got a notice from GeForce that there was a new update for my graphics card, which I installed only a couple weeks ago, and which I made certain had the latest update at that time. What a coincidence.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/27/18 03:20 PM.
#4422955 - 05/27/18 04:16 PM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: Utherpen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I am still finding that UAW160 is running much better in Win7

There are still long delays with black screens with Win 10, using exactly the same UAW folder on the internal data disk.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4422967 - 05/27/18 07:00 PM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: MrJelly]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Assuming that what I posted above is correct, and IMHO, it likely is so, then I would suggest waiting till MS offers their "correction" before engaging on a fix for what MS has already done. Working on a fix, now, would be like a dog chasing its' tail.

I suggest waiting until the "correction" has been issued by MS, and then dealing with the situation, since it is unlikely (though still possible) that MS will issue yet another correction.

I have no doubt developers such as yourself have plenty of other things to occupy their time.

I generally run my sims on my ancient, but upgraded, Win 7 computer. Even "IL-2 1946" works fine on the Win 7 computer with maxxed-outsettings, somewhat to my surprise. I have not tried any of the EAW variants on my Win 10 laptop, so I cannot comment further..

Submitted for your consideration.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/27/18 07:12 PM.
#4423012 - 05/28/18 12:42 AM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: Utherpen]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

oh, you have a Win10 Laptop, I wounder if the built in video will even work with it. Without a wrapper.

Whats you GPU or APU or integrated graphics you have on your Win10 laptop?

#4423309 - 05/29/18 04:54 PM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkEAW
oh, you have a Win10 Laptop, I wounder if the built in video will even work with it. Without a wrapper.

Whats you GPU or APU or integrated graphics you have on your Win10 laptop?

With the exception of maxxing out RAM @ 8Gb, and installing a 250Gb SSD, the Win 10 x 64 Dell Inspirion N5050 laptop is stock; i3 2350 CPU @ 2.30 GHz,

GPU is OEM Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Oddly enough, I found that I could get Red Baron 3D to run fine on this (Win 10) computer, whereas running straight from disk on my Win 7 computer was problematic. I say oddly, but I'm told it's impossible to get RB 3D to run in win 10 without major tweaking. Go figure.

FWIW, with the exception of Kerbal Space Program, RB3D, and a modded version of Crimson Skies (all of which run fine @ maxxed-out graphics settings), I run all my games on my Win 7 computer.

As expected, the attempted install from OEM disk was unsuccessful. IIRC, the message displayed was that the game could not be successfully installed, and to contact the manufacturer.

Now, this is NOT GOOD! How is it possible to attract new users when their in-hand Game disk is useless in modern operating systems?

I understand that there are stand-alone versions of the game, and they are very nice. The problem is that virtually nobody knows about them. I also understand it is counter-intuitive to suggest methods of installing the Game in modern computers that would be more involved than installing the stand-alone versions f the game. I get that.

But modern gamers want a very simple sequence of a few buttons pushed to access what they want to play.

I challenge the EAW community to develop a simple, "push one button" module which will allow the Win 10 user to install, and run their old EAW disk/game.

Please set aside your current mods to the game, and PLEASE make things more accessible to new EAW players! Doing so will get people into the game, and also provide a much-increased number of players that just might want to experience more elaborate versions of the game.

EAW is a fine game out pf the box, and that is the first stepping stone. I suppose that some outfit like GoG, or Steam, offering a fully runnable version of EAW would be ideal, as lots of folks would play it for $10 (or less) a pop, and such folks might be interested in modding it.

If this doesn't happen, the game will die, and all the development work will be for naught.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/30/18 12:24 AM.
#4423412 - 05/30/18 04:03 AM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: Utherpen]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I think a Windows Command Prompt Batch file could be written to copy the files from the CD, that would be doing the same thing the original MPS installer did.
Anyhow I seen in the Windows compatibility fix database, they have a mode for the installer to work. I never tried it, so IDK if it works or how it works. I know there is also a fix to keep referencing the CD if you have a smaller than FULL install of the game. (meaning it will play off the CD).

I'd like GoG to release the game again, in a more hardware friendly update for modern computers. Without much to none compatibility fixes, layers or modes.

#4423423 - 05/30/18 08:07 AM Re: Win 10 update 1803 and EAW [Re: Utherpen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

This is an absolutely simple bare-bones 160 installation that flies default EAW

[Linked Image]

It works. There are no file managers, theatres, or additional folders

The zipfile is a 217 MB download. Should I make it available?

People could use it to try UAW160 before getting the fuller version

Edit:
I have made it available and posted a link.
Maybe you guys should try it in case there are issues that I have not encountered.

Last edited by MrJelly; 05/30/18 08:21 AM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.