Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 562 of 562 1 2 560 561 562
#4421152 - 05/17/18 04:02 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Thanks for the info, JRT. I managed to reinstall the Free Cell version I like.
So far there have been no other problems, other than having to make Windows aware of my printer.
That was no problem once I discovered the difficulty.

Thanks for the reference. It's been a little busy around here but I will look at the YouTube complaints as soon as I can. So far the joystick, IR-5 and now the printer seem to be working OK, Surely some software will also catch up.
So far, no insistence of forcing one to use Edge. I hope that freedom remains as it does not seem to have downloaded properly for me.
Since Edge seemed to have gone first when I started having my original problem with W=10 I have avoided using it and in fact can not open it for use.
So far I haven't missed it.

Update: It did seem the computer with the W 10 1803 update was a bit slower in starting. But that may just be me.

Last edited by Fittop; 05/17/18 01:08 PM. Reason: Update
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4421213 - 05/17/18 03:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Here are a couple documents pertaining to 1803 you might wish to read. Others may as well.

If you have already installed 1803 this may be of limited value but still worth the read
https://pureinfotech.com/avoid-problems-installing-windows-10-april-2018-update-1803/

These are the features removed by installing 1803. It might help you find any hidden problems resulting from installing 1803.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-1803-removed-features

Sometime the first time you boot after a major update the computer will run slower. Mine seems to settle down the next few boots.

More clouds and rain today. ⛈️

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING SEVENTEEN YEARS and over 19 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2018
#4421394 - 05/18/18 02:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Thank you for the info, JRT.
I will try to research your offerings as soon as I get some breathing space.

Meanwhile, the sun is burning off the outside wet spots that were created at around 2:30 in the morning. The wind then was high enough to wake me.
A record-matching 96 degrees is expected today. Really need to get the mosquito repellent working.

#4421608 - 05/19/18 04:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Clouds, overcast and rain, oh my.....

Update 1803 is finally a knockin' at my door and wishes me to invite it in. I will install it but I'll also unplug all my peripherals first. That is highly recommended for some reason. I'll lose the use of my cordless mouse for a bit and I'll have to keep the WiFi adapter plugged in without the hub. That roaring sound you hear is rain pouring down. It has been doing that off and on for days.

I have finally gotten familiar enough with the new version of Photoshoo CC 2017 to start doing some digital painting again. I enjoy that. It beats the heck out of buying paints canvas and turpentine or linseed oil. It has been ages since I used any of that including my easel. all that stuff is in storage now. My favorite uncle on my dad's side gave me my first easel and paints when I was about ten. A talented billboard painter friend of the family gave me a box full of his old paintbrushes. I was set. There were even two sisters next door who gladly modeled for me and did not criticize too much, in the beginning at least.

Back then, I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to be an artist, writer, actor, airline pilot or join the Air Force. Yes, LeRoy "our" Air Force. Typical topics for most kids that age I suppose. But there was quite a bit of schooling ahead of all that. I had no way of knowing how MUCH. So I was in no hurry to make up my mind.

When it was time for college, Dad wanted me to follow him into the Merchant Marine Academy. There was a caveat, the sea was not for a family man, he cautioned. Long absences had ruined his marriage and many others. When I hear the song sung by "Looking Glass titled "Brandy", I think back to that time with Dad especially when I hear ..."But my life, my love, and my lady is the sea". I wanted a wife and family so I put away those papers that guaranteed me a spot and looked elsewhere. It was the right decision. But it hurt my dad.

After an eternity of school, ( the 4th grade took 6 years alone). Mercifully I was finally kicked out for not shaving. OK, maybe not. wink
I ended up doing none of those things I had considered as a kid as an occupation. And yet, almost all of them were part of what I did choose. The profession I finally chose used any talent I might have had as artist, writer and even actor. Advertising. Odd how things work out.

Fittop:

It is not strictly a bug repellent but if you will not be entering any elevators, standing upwind of populated areas or riding in a car with others, put a few drops of official "Pepé Le Pew" brand ersatz skunk oil on all exposed skin and you're set. No mosquitoes will trouble you. Heck, nothing with any olfactory sensitivity whatsoever will even come near. It takes a little getting used to at first. But you could dab some on and sleep soundly all night in a cage full of starving lions completely undisturbed.

Careful, overdo it and risk becoming rather lonesome before it wears off. winkngrin

BRANDY (Lyrics)

dooda-dit-dooda), (dit-dooda-dit-dooda)

There's a port on a western bay
And it serves a hundred ships a day
Lonely sailors pass the time away
And talk about their homes

And there's a girl in this harbor town
And she works layin' whiskey down
They say "Brandy, fetch another round"
She serves them whiskey and wine

The sailors say "Brandy, you're a fine girl" (you're a fine girl)
"What a good wife you would be" (such a fine girl)
"Yeah your eyes could steal a sailor from the sea"
(dooda-dit-dooda), (dit-dooda-dit-dooda-dit)

Brandy wears a braided chain
Made of finest silver from the North of Spain
A locket that bears the name
Of a man that Brandy loved

He came on a summer's day
Bringin' gifts from far away
But he made it clear he couldn't stay
No harbor was his home

The sailor said " Brandy, you're a fine girl" (you're a fine girl)

"But my life, my love, and my lady is the sea"

Yeah, Brandy used to watch his eyes
When he told his sailor's story
She could feel the ocean fall and rise
She saw its ragin' glory
But he had always told the truth, lord, he was an honest man
And Brandy does her best to understand

At night when the bars close down
Brandy walks through a silent town
And loves a man who's not around
She still can hear him say

She hears him say " Brandy, you're a fine girl" (you're a fine girl)

"Brandy, you're a fine girl" (you're a fine girl)

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING SEVENTEEN YEARS and over 19 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2018
#4421670 - 05/20/18 12:32 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

1803 installed smoothly. At least it seems to have so far. Some settings have been changed to default. For instance, I had taken those arrows off the shortcuts on my desktop and they returned. I got rid of them again. Like you, I lost an app that was said to be incompatible with the new version. The app was for customizing the desktop. In my case it put the time and date in large letters there and a little weather gadget. I'll look for another. It seems a bit sluggish for me too. That will probably sort itself. Glad that's over..... if it really is.

I must say MS was careful to announce what was to happen and keep me informed through the process. I cannot say precisely how long it took. I dozed off and when I woke it was done. If I have no more major problems I'd say MS did a good job with it. I assume it was patched before being pushed. I noticed an edge icon was new on the desktop. I already had one in my task bar so I deleted it. The Win 10 mail app looks a bit different but seems to work the same. LMK if you find other glitches and I'll keep you informed.

#4421762 - 05/20/18 06:49 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Clouds, overcast...etc.... redux.

Fittop:

1803 is behaving so far. The new features are nice. I may actually use some of them. Edge has a number of upgrades. It is going to be very important in many facets of future versions of Windows. Many new features will depend upon it. We will likely be forced to use it as our browser eventually. I'll check Edge out once more.

I reinstalled the app the 1803 installation notice stated was incompatible with 1803.... it works as well as it ever it did. I did lose my favorite defrag app, Auslogics Disk Defrag. I've used it for years with nary a problem. Now after the April Update, it has just disappeared. Apparently Norton, Malwarebytes and other Av now consider it a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program). That could be for the unwary. Me not one, you see. So me unhappy that I was not given an option or a lot more more explanation. It was not a MS program. It was my program and it was on my computer.

I can see the problem. When you install "Disk Defrag" you run the risk of changing your homepage to Yahoo and the installer wants to install it's proprietary trial Speed Up software. It is a danger ONLY if you are not an observant soul and you do not carefully seek out the tiny typed option cunningly disguised as "DECLINE" and click to decline installing those dubious goodies. Anyhow, I have replaced that better performing app with Piriform's (the developer of CCleaner) "Defrggler". I find it is adequate but slow as a prehistoric ant trapped in amber.

As an example. Last night I tried late night defragging. I cannot recommend this activity for anyone other than for those who have a sleeping disorder. The defragging usually took about an hour and a half tops. I did that with the old app once a week every week until this week. When the new app had made its initial search for untidily fragmented files, a little notice popped up telling me the likely time needed to defrag would be.... 1 DAY!!! I said it was not a suitable activity for sleepy heads.

It actually took 5 hours to defrag the 7% of the HDD that it suggested needed attention. That's-a-lotta-time!! So I am still looking for something more like Disk Defrag. Something that does the job but takes less than 5 hours or 1 whole day. I thought there were 24 hours in every day. Some do SEEM longer than others. Maybe Auslogics will take the hint and get rid of the cra...junk in their installers. There is even something objectionable detected by Malwarebytes in the portable version. Could be a false positive, but I doubt it.

I have now loaded all my apps at least once so I'm sure the rest are present and operational. My sound, USB system, Bluetooth and WiFi are working properly. Things seem to have sped up. I am breathing easier now. Look out for the October update which may bring even bigger changes. MS seems to know where they want to go and they are planning to bring us along. They have made good improvement in the installation of update process.

Perhaps almost gone are the desperate days of dreading big updates? I saw a cartoon once that showed a man standing in front of his PS2, XP, or whatever. His head was turned away. He had his left hand over his eyes. His right arm was extended toward his computer. There was a pistol in the right hand. The computer had a sickly/sour face on the monitor. The tongue was hanging out of the mouth and there were little marks radiating from the box indicating great heat. Under all that were the words " Updating Windows Do not turn off your computer". winkngrin

#4421973 - Yesterday at 07:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Pembrokeshire, Wales.
Chaps,

Saw my first Swift of the year yesterday which says it all about the prolonged cold weather we have had to contend with. They used to arrive about the first few days of May but not any longer it seems. Came away from the harbour without a bite but wasn't the only one. Water becoming clearer which is favourable for mackerel.

I am having webpage access problems and incomplete Facebook pages which I have put down to the idiosyncrasies of Win 10. If I knew what I was doing I could wipe the disc and go back to Win7 which was a lot more preferable OS than this one.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4422017 - Yesterday at 10:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

For the benefit of those less familiar with the bird than you. Swifts look a lot like Swallows but I've read they are are not related to them. Remarkably, except when nesting, swifts spend their lives in the air, living on the insects caught in flight; they drink, feed, and often mate and sleep on the wing. Some individuals go 10 months without landing. No other bird spends as much of its life in flight. Their maximum horizontal flying speed is 111.6 km/h. Quite a bird, I'd say.

There are many species of Swifts. Only the White-throated Swift, Vaux's Swift and the Black Swift are all native birds to the western USA and up into southern British Columbia, Canada.

Be sure to send a pix of any big catch. I just gave my grandson an early birthday present. An electronic fish weighing scale. It also has a back lit digital read out and other features. Far better than the old scales I used back when. Not very expensive on Amazon. He loves it. He is planning to go Rock fishing soon (Striped Bass). There are several fish given that sobriquet . They get that named because they like to hide in the rocks I'm told. Others say it is because you think you have hooked a rock when you try to reel them in.

Congrats on that big, royal wedding. If you were not invited, and as you are now pretending to be Welsh, I'd dash off a nasty note of deep displeasure to the Prince of Wales. He will probably make them do the whole thing over again just for you. winkngrin 🤴

#4422127 - 5 hours ago Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Cloudy today and warm but no rain is expected. That returns tomorrow.

I have good news. 1803 is behaving nicely and I managed to get my old disk defragger back from the greedy clutches of Malwarebytes. It was a false positive and, apparently, win 10 1803 changed the settings somehow in Malwarebytes so that Disk Defrag was given a false positive and could not be reinstalled.

Somehow I failed to note that 'Auslogics' was a Down Unda software company. When contacted, they made every effort to reply promptly and to help. As I am quick to complain when I get poor service, I feel I should also be quick to praise and to thank when I receive good service above the average. I have done so.

Dux:
Going back to Win 7 is so attractive. I still have it on my XP which is in storage. There are however many nasty exploits for Win 7 and soon it will no longer be supported. Win 10 will also go the way of the Do Do and pass into starring in the bargain basement bins of discounted software. Microsoft 365 with the emphasis now on Microsoft, not Windows, is just around the corner. That may shift us screaming into a new paradigm of computing. We shall see.

You know your system better than I. However, your problems seems to me could be browser oriented for the web pages you cannot reach. You can change what is blocked one way or another in most popular browsers in the security section of setup. I have little knowledge of Facebook so I will not comment. I closed my account ages ago due to privacy concerns. Turns out I did the correct thing.

I follow some political folk on Twitter but never Tweet back very often. I will soon close that account as the notifications can be many and distracting. Guess I'm not a sociable fellow after all. winkngrin

Page 562 of 562 1 2 560 561 562

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
trains, trains and more trains
by KraziKanuK. 05/22/18 04:59 PM
Farenheit 451 remake
by RossUK. 05/21/18 11:29 PM
WHAT have they done to thundercats ?!??!?!
by Blade_RJ. 05/21/18 10:38 PM
Carol and Jimmy take a trip!
by Li'lJugs. 05/21/18 10:23 PM
Oldest WW II vet
by rwatson. 05/21/18 02:26 PM
Cougar Kills Mountain Biker in Washington State
by Haggart. 05/21/18 04:57 AM
Live Volcano feed from Hawaii
by Haggart. 05/20/18 08:25 PM
Royal wedding
by KraziKanuK. 05/19/18 09:38 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.