Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4420943 - 05/15/18 07:19 PM Rudder Issue  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Hello All,

I just noticed an odd issue with rudder control in my WOFF setup. I’m using a CH Combatstick/Throttle/Rudder Pedals combination, with a WOFF-specific template under CH Control Manager.

For each of the flying controls, I’ve adjusted the Gain and Sensitivity settings in Control Manager to give me a graduated response. The attached screenshot shows what I mean. This shows the rudder setting, but I’ve done the same for the elevators and the ailerons (In fact I’ve done this for most all my various flightsims).

The problem I'm having is that, while I do get the desired graduated response with the elevators and ailerons, for the rudder I seem to be getting "all or nothing". Either I have zero rudder deflection, or it whangs over hard to full deflection, with nothing in between. Makes it kind of hard to make minor directional adjustments, or to attempt a properly coordinated use of the controls.

Does anyone have any advice, has anyone else encountered this kind of thing?

Thanks

Mike

Attached Files Screenshot (16).jpg
Last edited by Mike Dora; 05/15/18 08:05 PM.
#4421042 - 05/16/18 03:09 PM Re: Rudder Issue [Re: Mike Dora]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
OK Problem Solved.

The bad news was that I discovered that the same issue (all-or-nothing rudder control) affected all my flightsims.

The good news was that by a bit of trial and error I found that setting up the rudder pedals in CH Control Manager as a separate DX Device (ie "CM Device 2") from the control stick/throttle combination (which remains as "CM Device 1"), solved the problem. Now I have the desired fine control over yaw, and can also coordinate the controls in a realistic fashion. Not only in WOFF, but also in FE2, SF2 etc etc.

Mike

#4421063 - 05/16/18 06:09 PM Re: Rudder Issue [Re: Mike Dora]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Glad to hear you have the problem solved Mike.

The rudder in FE2, without any control-manager tweaking, is auto-centering. Applying rudder left or right in quick increments, and then release, results in less movement, etc. I've set up the left/right keys at the top of my joystick for left/right rudder movement n FE2.

I have the same setup for WOFFue and RB3D - but in these two, incremental rudder movement left and right is possible...about 4-5 clicks left, or right, gives full rudder movement left or right.

Will see if I can set up rudder control separately as you've done for WOFFue and FE2 - always wanted to have finer control with the rudder - perhaps I should look into rudder pedals as well...still running these sims using the Logitech Attack 3 and no pedals.

Happy flying,
Von S

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4421814 - 05/21/18 12:57 AM Re: Rudder Issue [Re: Mike Dora]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
An interesting epilogue to this wee rudder responsiveness issue. As I mentioned, most of my flightsims were suffering from the same rudder “all or nothing” problem.

Now that they’re all fixed, it has given new life to many of them, by making the simulated ac far more controllable than before. In the case of one particular WW1 sim (am I allowed to mention ROF here? :), fixing this rudder problem has made it “flyable” for me for the first time - previously I had found its ac models wobbling all over the place. Now I know why, it was that “all or nothing” rudder thing.

Isn’t it funny how one little issue, when followed through, can have quite wide implications?

Cheers

Mike

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.