Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4420569 - 05/13/18 04:59 PM Authentic Texan chilli recipe  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

I confess I’m a chilli (con carne) addict and spent ages refining my own version of a Texan Chilli recipe, borrowing various ideas and ingredients from others over the years that it now bears little resemblance to the original long since lost. Whilst I like the chilli I make, I realise it’s a world away from an authentic Texan Chilli and I’d like to get back to something more realistic. I’ve tried a few recipes seen online and apart from the huge variations between them all, they somehow seem a little bland from what I would expect; something rich and fulfilling, with bags of beef/tomato flavour and an unmistakable chilli kick. Anyone have a recipe that may meet my expectations they’d like to share?

My own recipe is a fairly simple affair provided below. I like my chilli hot and use Sriracha sauce to adjust heat as required.

750g (ground) minced beef
2 peppers
2 large onions
100g mushrooms
5-6 red/green chillies
4 cloves garlic
2 medium carrots
400g chopped tomatoes
500g Passata
800g tinned red kidney beans
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon hot chilli powder
2 tablespoons ground paprika
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
1 beef stock cube
2 tablespoons Bovril (Concentrated beef extract)
Chopped fresh basil for garnish

1. Finely dice carrots, peppers, onions, mushrooms and chillies. Mince garlic and keep all veggies on a plate to the side.
2. Prepare spice mix in a cup or small bowl by combining cumin, oregano, black pepper, ground coriander, salt, chilli powder and paprika.
3. In a large stock pot, fry minced beef in the rapeseed oil and add stock cube while mince is browning.
4. When mince is brown, add half the spice mix to the stockpot. Stir with the mince, lightly frying the spices.
5. Add the vegetables to the stock pot and stir.
6. Add remaining spice mix and combine all ingredients. Reduce heat to a simmer and lightly fry, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not burn the garlic!
7. Add chopped tomatoes, passata, kidney beans and Bovril. Stir until fully combined, cover and leave to simmer for 2 hours to ensure vegetables are cook
through and all the ingredients to get to know one another.
8. Serve with rice and add torn basil leaves for garnish.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4420577 - 05/13/18 07:15 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Missing the Cayenne pepper
Also I would put in some Jalapeno peppers too

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4420591 - 05/13/18 09:04 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Maybe substitute cilantro for the basil garnish.

Oh...and keep your cardiologist a little happier and drain that cooked ground beef first.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4420597 - 05/13/18 10:10 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Brilliant, thanks gents.

Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Missing the Cayenne pepper
Also I would put in some Jalapeno peppers too

Fresh Jalapenos always seem a bit challenging to find near me, hence using the green chillies; no problem finding other varieties, Birds Eye, Scotch Bonnet etc. We have one supermarket chain that are supposed to stock them but never when I visit the store. Just to confirm, are your recommedations additional or substitution of any of the ingredients I already use?

Originally Posted by Nixer
Maybe substitute cilantro for the basil garnish.
Oh...and keep your cardiologist a little happier and drain that cooked ground beef first.

Always have to look up cilantro, we call it coriander this side of the big water, but for some reason can never keep that association in my head. I find the flavour a bit too strong for my taste, but my wife loves it. It's been a while since I last tried it though and always willing to give things another go, so will get some for the next batch on your recommendation.

Thanks for the additional advice too. I was diagnosed with hyperlipidemia about 15 years ago and as a consequence am regularly monitored. I seem to be on top of things and managing through diet without some of the horrendous meds people in similar situations seem to have to endure. Always use a lean Aberdeen Angus beef (5% fat) and drain excess fat after cooking as a matter of course nowadays. I'm sure it detracts from the flavour somewhat, but will take that over the coronary any day! hahaha

Cheers!

#4420603 - 05/13/18 10:47 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
There are so many variations of chili in Texas that one can make pretty much anything close and call it authentic.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4420605 - 05/13/18 11:24 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Dart]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Originally Posted by Dart
There are so many variations of chili in Texas that one can make pretty much anything close and call it authentic.

I did think I may open a can of worms in asking the question and expected to be reprimanded for the inclusion of carrot and mushroom in my own concoction. biggrin The variation in recipes I have found on the web suggest the world and his wife has a different idea of what an authentic chilli is. A number include chocolate amongst the ingredients that I find hard to imagine is nothing more than a recent introduction. FWIW, I did try a recipe with the chocolate and both my wife and I were left thinking, meh... I figured that many of the people frequenting the forums here are geographically closer to the source than many of the so called chefs purporting to be a culinary experts in the dish; I also hold members here in higher regard too. winkngrin

#4420607 - 05/13/18 11:29 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I think it might be good but here in Ohio you can't find many of the ingrediants..I just but Carol shelby's mix and use steak insteag of hamburg I'm sure my friend Bill Grant has a solid recipe

Russ
Semper Fi
#4420608 - 05/13/18 11:37 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

I don't think we can get that mix in the UK, hence asking; is that the same Caroll Shelby of AC Cobra fame?

#4420625 - 05/14/18 12:24 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Don't think so https://www.carrollshelbyschili.com/ I usually add some mushrooms,,vidalia onions and keep a bottle of Original Tabasco sauce on hand burns me a new butt but I love it,,In the Marines we had chilly over rice or spaghetti what ever the cooks made..And always make my own southern style cornbread not the boxed crap I make it with creamed corn in it ,,Man that's hog heaven for me ,,I always make a double batch with 4 pounds of meat and freeze some but it don't stay in the freezer long

Russ
Semper Fi
#4420629 - 05/14/18 12:35 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: rwatson]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees

Hmmm... too many coincidences make me curious.

Carroll Shelby, Texas, Chili...hell let's throw in Bob Wills. Better yet Vince Gill, I digress.

Yep, it's the race car dude!

Fast Cars, Fast Women and, Hot Chili

yep

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4420630 - 05/14/18 12:44 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Fracture Offline
Fracture  Offline

Ohio
My Chili varies depending on what's in the cupboard and freezer.
Worst was campbells tomato soup with kidney beans and chilli powder thrown in lol

#4420631 - 05/14/18 12:50 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
fracture I'm about to vomit over your rape of chilli If I'm short on something I get my butt to the store and get what I need ,,But I would be interested in any body's chilli recipes

Russ
Semper Fi
#4420644 - 05/14/18 03:12 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Proper corn bread is an art form.

I can make acceptable biscuits, decent gravy, perfect eggs, but getting corn bread right is tough for me.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4420650 - 05/14/18 05:22 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
thanks for the recipe BDB will give it a go sometime

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4420657 - 05/14/18 09:57 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Fracture]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Nixer
Yep, it's the race car dude!

Don't you just hate talented people. Can't be satisfied with being good at one thing only. Oh no, have to be good at everything else too. Makes the rest of us look bad, well, me anyway! biggrin

Originally Posted by rwatson
...chilly over rice or spaghetti what ever the cooks made..And always make my own southern style cornbread not the boxed crap I make it with creamed corn in it...I always make a double batch with 4 pounds of meat and freeze some but it don't stay in the freezer long

Same here, rice, pasta and quite often over cous cous nowadays. Cous cous is as bland as sh*t to my taste buds, but a bit lower in carbs. (Means I can eat more chilli for a "balanced" diet biggrin ) We divide it into portions and freeze but doesn't last long either. Although I do think the freezing process enhances the chilli kick slightly.

Originally Posted by Fracture
My Chili varies depending on what's in the cupboard and freezer.
Worst was campbells tomato soup with kidney beans and chilli powder thrown in lol

Now you just go stand in the corner, face the wall and think long and hard about what you've done Mister. biggrin
(Russ, looks like you're nearest. Think it may be time for the "Old Yeller" treatment...) yep

I can make acceptable biscuits, decent gravy, perfect eggs, but getting corn bread right is tough for me.

No one I know makes or even knows how to make corn bread, it just doesn’t seem to get made over here. I've also never quite worked out what biscuits and gravy really is either, even after watching quite a few episodes of Triple D's with Guy Fieri. What we call biscuits you guys call cookies and nearest equivalent I can figure is scones, (both sweet and savoury versions exist over here, and we can't even agree on the correct way of pronouncing the word either), but we never have them with gravy to my knowledge. biggrin

Originally Posted by Haggart
thanks for the recipe BDB will give it a go sometime

You're welcome, though didn't expect anyone would give it a go, more to point out where I maybe going wrong.
If you do try I often add an extra (400g) tin of beans in the form of what we call "Bean Salad" for a bit more variety. Content varies slightly between stores from Cannellini, Flageolet & Adzuki Bean mix (Tesco) to the more up market Pinto, Black-Eyed, Chick Pea, Haricot, Lima, Borlotti, Flageolet, Cannellini bean mix offered by (Waitrose).
The quantities listed above, even with the extra tin of beans, fits comfortably inside our 4.5 litre stock pot. (Missus drew the line when she caught me eyeing up a 18.5 litre replacement!duck)
Finally, the two hours cook time is a minimum at which point I remove the lid and continue cooking to allow the mixture to thicken slightly.

#4420660 - 05/14/18 10:49 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
If it’s not hot enough where your nose starts running then it’s not authentic Texas chili. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4420662 - 05/14/18 10:52 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Dart]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

Properly made Southern cornbread right out of the iron skillet is the food of the gods.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4420665 - 05/14/18 10:59 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
October 4, 2010 354

Prep Time:
5 Minutes

Difficulty:
Easy

Cook Time:
20 Minutes

Servings:
12 Servings

Ingredients

1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Milk
1 whole Egg
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 cup Shortening
2 Tablespoons Shortening

Instructions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Stir together.

Measure the buttermilk and milk in a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda and stir.

Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until combined.

In a small bowl, melt 1/4 shortening. Slowly add melted shortening to the batter, stirring until just combined. In an iron skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons shortening over medium heat. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Spread to even out the surface. (Batter should sizzle.)

Cook on stovetop for 1 minute, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Edges should be crispy!

Russ
Semper Fi
#4420676 - 05/14/18 12:21 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
If it’s not hot enough where your nose starts running then it’s not authentic Texas chili. smile

Does nose bleeding still count or does that mean I've overdone it? biggrin

#4420680 - 05/14/18 12:31 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Thanks for sharing that Russ. Looks straight forward enough that even I should be able to handle that and I'll give it a go at the weekend. thumbsup

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.