Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4420686 - 05/14/18 01:22 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
makes great corn bread but only use a cast iron skillet best for cooking..here's the link http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/skillet-cornbread/ I watch her show a lot and she cooks great stuff ..I always try some thing new on Sundays I live alone with a Lab and love to cook and she usually gets a cut of my efforts as long as there's nothing in it she shouldn't have,,And it shoes She's a yellow lab and goes 80 pounds..Sometimes I add a can of creamed corn to it all..Hope you can find corn meal over there

Russ
Semper Fi
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4420691 - 05/14/18 01:44 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
[Linked Image]
Known as Crack in A Box. Makes the BEST Cornbread ever. Stocked by the pallet at all the local stores. $0.30 a box
No way I would make homemade over this

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4420692 - 05/14/18 01:45 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
If we got down to less than 6 boxes of Jiffy on my boats panic began to set in.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4420694 - 05/14/18 01:51 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Corn bread, biscuits & gravy and chicken fried steak. That's all I need to live. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4420697 - 05/14/18 02:06 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Bill Grant put a picture of Corn Muffin mix in the thread as a hilarious joke. Corn muffins are not cornbread.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4420698 - 05/14/18 02:08 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Nixer thanks for the education,,I didn't know the car dude and chilli man were the sand,,,,Bill used to always make that but my late girlfriend taught me to make it from scratch,,but still have a few boxes of crack and if i'm feeling lazy I go to it..I put 2 or 3 boxes in my cast iron skillet

Russ
Semper Fi
#4420751 - 05/14/18 04:57 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: rwatson]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Originally Posted by rwatson
makes great corn bread but only use a cast iron skillet best for cooking..here's the link http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/skillet-cornbread/ I watch her show a lot and she cooks great stuff ..I always try some thing new on Sundays I live alone with a Lab and love to cook and she usually gets a cut of my efforts as long as there's nothing in it she shouldn't have,,And it shoes She's a yellow lab and goes 80 pounds..Sometimes I add a can of creamed corn to it all..Hope you can find corn meal over there

Thanks for the link, at least I know what it is supposed to look like when I'm done. cheers Am I correct in thinking I should use course cornmeal? Shops also sell a fine cornmeal here too.
I used to own a black lab, best dog I ever owned. I think he must have been crossed with a cart horse because he was massive and used to intimidate people because of his size. He wasn't the smartest cookie in the jar, but was the friendliest, soppiest animal you could ever wish to meet; unless you were a sofa cushion, in which he would grab you, run outside and try to bury you somewhere! biggrin

Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Known as Crack in A Box.

Your crack is a damn site more expensive over here. I managed to track it down for £1.65/box +£4.50 delivery. (That's over $8 by my reckoning). Fortunately, Dart saved me before I placed an order for a pallet load to get the bulk discount! hahaha

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Corn bread, biscuits & gravy and chicken fried steak. That's all I need to live. biggrin

The simplest things in life are often the best. Least that's what I keep trying to convince my wife. Must be working, she's still keeps me around yep

Originally Posted by Dart
Bill Grant put a picture of Corn Muffin mix in the thread as a hilarious joke. Corn muffins are not cornbread.

Thanks Dart, not sure local law enforcement would have understood my advert for selling the best Crack this side of the Atlantic if the pallet order had gone through! biggrin

#4420758 - 05/14/18 05:18 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
BDB, Dart just doesn't know the secret to Corn Bread. They have called it Corn Muffin Mix forever.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4420763 - 05/14/18 05:26 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Yeah Bill and the instructions on the box are for muffins,,Don't take a PHD to make bread

Russ
Semper Fi
#4420767 - 05/14/18 05:31 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
BDB my first dog after the military was a black lab named Charley..Dog had more brains than most people Named my son after him Never been with out a dog since then..Except when my last one passed I said no more dogs about a week later I got up and the ho8use just felt empty I told my M8 you know what's missing and she said I didn't think you would wait this long and we got Mary Sue..Now we live alone and she sleeps in bed with me and I think she hears my eyes open as soon as I do she washes my face ..I never wake up in a bad mood

Russ
Semper Fi
#4420813 - 05/14/18 09:58 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Guys we're all good here and just joshing with you. winkngrin

#4420817 - 05/14/18 10:11 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

My lab was called Dibs, after I called "dibs" on him. We went everywhere together and his favourite places always involved water. He adored going to the coast and playing in the sea and we'd walk miles and miles together. I didn't get another dog after losing him because my work was taking me away from home for increasingly longer periods of time and didn't think it fair. I can empathise with that empty house feeling and still get odd moments when my wife is out and the house just seems a bit too quiet. Labs are by far my favourite breed and make brilliant companions. smile

#4420844 - 05/15/18 02:46 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Recipie looks pretty good and tasty! I can tell you, as a Texan my whole life, that traditional Texas chili does not have beans. I however enjoy beans in my chili. smile

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4420864 - 05/15/18 10:14 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Hi Jason,

How's it going?

I saw a couple of recipes in my recent searches that omitted beans. The link to Shelby's mix Russ kindly shared above also has a picture with a bowl of chilli and not a bean in sight.

I am always curious about the origin and evolution of things and wondered when and why kidney beans became so dominant in most recipes today. It seems to me that the haricot, (navy?), bean was a more obvious choice to me. Too heavily influenced by the films of wranglers eating chilli and beans around an open fire that I grew up with as a kid I guess. smile

Cheers,

B

P.S. Please don't tell me Hollywood isn't real, I couldn't handle learning the whole fabric of my historical references are false. hahaha

#4420867 - 05/15/18 10:42 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by BeeDeeBee

P.S. Please don't tell me Hollywood isn't real, I couldn't handle learning the whole fabric of my historical references are false. hahaha

According to Hollywood, all men in the UK sound like Prince Charles and all women sound like Queen Elizabeth II when they speak. Is this not correct?

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/15/18 10:42 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4420869 - 05/15/18 10:45 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Khai Offline
Given Up on the World
Khai  Offline
Given Up on the World

UK

According to Hollywood, all men in the UK sound like Prince Charles and all women sound like Queen Elizabeth II when they speak. Is this not correct?

Born in London, grew up there, and I can honestly say, feck off we don't sound like that muppet....

#4420877 - 05/15/18 11:52 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Huuummmmm... Khai, you can't talk about Queenie's boy like that. He'll be your Lord and Royal Sovereign in the not to distant future. If he hears that kind of talk you'll be sent to the tower and forced to talk to his plants all day.hahaha

(Also, just between you and me, so keep it under your hat... We need to keep the Americans thinking we all live in castles so they keep coming to visit as tourist and spending money. I've checked and there's only £1.90 left in the government funds and I need that to buy the Crack in the Box Bill is selling). biggrin

#4420878 - 05/15/18 11:59 AM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Moved_on Offline
Moved_on  Offline

Absolutely old boy. One does have to keep up the standards you know. Oh my is that the time? Have to toodle off and polish the battlements before tea. Hmmm... Wonder if Mumsies got cook to make cucumber sandwiches. Scrummy, my favourite. biggrin

#4420888 - 05/15/18 01:18 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague

More like Ned Stark & Davos Seaworth smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4420891 - 05/15/18 01:23 PM Re: Authentic Texan chilli recipe [Re: Moved_on]  
Khai Offline
Given Up on the World
Khai  Offline
Given Up on the World

UK
Huuummmmm... Khai, you can't talk about Queenie's boy like that. He'll be your Lord and Royal Sovereign in the not to distant future. If he hears that kind of talk you'll be sent to the tower and forced to talk to his plants all day.hahaha

(Also, just between you and me, so keep it under your hat... We need to keep the Americans thinking we all live in castles so they keep coming to visit as tourist and spending money. I've checked and there's only £1.90 left in the government funds and I need that to buy the Crack in the Box Bill is selling). biggrin

I'm sorry guv, dunno wot came into the ol noggin there, cor blimey, strike a light.
I'll go to the foot of our stairs, I got that wrong, I'm a right plonker.....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.