#4420047 - 05/10/18 02:59 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by BigDuke6
I just want to take off from a carrier.

IIRC, a catapult takeoff in the Hornet is a hands-free affair and the pilot only takes over a few seconds after the launch so in reality, all you'll be doing is spawn, startup, taxi to the cat, and that's it. If you want some carrier ops, then get Flaming Cliffs 3. $45 for 8 aircraft, good value for money! Carrier traps is where I guess you'll get your most flying fun and it'll be the same for the Russian bird as it is for the Hornet. Even with the new carrier, I can't see how it can be any different from what we have now.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4420058 - 05/10/18 04:07 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
No
- Too expensive. Yes, you get a lot, but I'd be willing to pay maybe 60% of the price (i.e. 60% of full price at release, 60% of discount price as a pre-order)
- Haven't even updated to 2.5 because of all the warnings of issues
- I don't want to be a beta tester, that's my day job, and when I come home to play something I want a finished product

#4420145 - 05/10/18 10:41 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: Bumfluff]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted by Bumfluff
Will never pre order again after DCS ww2 mess.

It looks a good fun module but out of principle no way.

I'm exactly the same. There is no way I'm going to trust these clowns again. I'll buy them when they're finished and not before. Whenever that may be.

Last edited by Johnny_Redd; 05/10/18 10:42 PM.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4420172 - 05/11/18 02:07 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
BigDuke6 Offline
BigDuke6  Offline

I missed the WW2 fiasco, so I can't relate to that. Personally, I would never donate to a "kickstarter" type program.

Are you guys afraid the hornet wont come out? Or just upset over how that situation went down?
Like I said, I missed that stuff.

And I do have FC3, so I do fly the Su-33, but that misses the point.

https://youtu.be/Ch5z3DMC3RA

Last edited by BigDuke6; 05/11/18 02:08 AM.
#4420177 - 05/11/18 03:37 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

I missed the WW2 fiasco, so I can't relate to that. Personally, I would never donate to a "kickstarter" type program.

Are you guys afraid the hornet wont come out? Or just upset over how that situation went down?
Like I said, I missed that stuff.

And I do have FC3, so I do fly the Su-33, but that misses the point.

https://youtu.be/Ch5z3DMC3RA

The hornet might turn out ok, but I can’t reward them for the behaviour around DCS Ww2.

Kickstarter got junked. The guy running it (Luthier) mysteriously disappeared. DCS came in and promised to deliver some of it. Delivered heaps of unfinished content.

You raise quite legitimate questions on their site asking for transparency around what their relationship was to the Kickstarter and where the money went and you get banned.

You ask where promised and paid for modules are and you get banned.

If any other normal business did this they would have a consumer affairs investigation all over them. But we forgive it because it’s flight sims and we tell ourselves no one else would deliver this product if they vanished.

Last edited by Bumfluff; 05/11/18 03:37 AM.
#4420372 - 05/12/18 01:51 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Personally, I would never donate to a "kickstarter" type program.

It depends. I jumped in on BattleTech and Steel Division and I'm very, very happy with both products so it's not a kickstarter program that's the issue, it's whether the devs can deliver or not. ED have consistently shown they would trip over their own feet.

Oh no, not afraid the Hornet will come out, I'm sure it will. It's not the product itself that's the issue, it's the state the product is in and how long it will get to more feature-complete. I get that we're paying for a in-development product, but I also expect it to be available after a reasonable timeframe. That's where ED fails consistently.

How does flying an Su-33 miss the point?

- Ice
#4420388 - 05/12/18 03:55 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted by - Ice
Personally, I would never donate to a "kickstarter" type program.

It depends. I jumped in on BattleTech and Steel Division and I'm very, very happy with both products so it's not a kickstarter program that's the issue, it's whether the devs can deliver or not. ED have consistently shown they would trip over their own feet.

Oh no, not afraid the Hornet will come out, I'm sure it will. It's not the product itself that's the issue, it's the state the product is in and how long it will get to more feature-complete. I get that we're paying for a in-development product, but I also expect it to be available after a reasonable timeframe. That's where ED fails consistently.

How does flying an Su-33 miss the point?

I do believe the kickstarter has an issue. I contacted kickstarter over the ww2 sh1tshow and got nothing. They have zero interest if a project goes tits up. They're quite happy to take their cut the backer has zero chance to recoup any money. The backers of the ww2 got f@cked over and there is nothing. nothing they can do about it. I refuse to use kickstarter, refuse to give anymore money to ED, advise all my friends to avoid the "fighter collection" and the "flying legends airshow". Some have, some haven't. Yes I am bitter.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4420394 - 05/12/18 04:13 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Johnny_Redd
I do believe the kickstarter has an issue. I contacted kickstarter over the ww2 sh1tshow and got nothing. They have zero interest if a project goes tits up. They're quite happy to take their cut the backer has zero chance to recoup any money. The backers of the ww2 got f@cked over and there is nothing. nothing they can do about it. I refuse to use kickstarter, refuse to give anymore money to ED, advise all my friends to avoid the "fighter collection" and the "flying legends airshow". Some have, some haven't. Yes I am bitter.

I don't blame you. All I was saying is that the issue is not Kickstarter smile

IIRC, the rules are if the project does not get the necessary funding, people get their money back (or no money is actually taken) but if the project does get the goal amount, the money is taken, but then obviously you're on your own. I don't see how KS should be responsible if the project goes tits up afterwards as they are a crowdfunding site, not a project management site.

Then again, I wasn't following the WWII stuff. Did it go tits up during the KS time or well after?

- Ice
#4420399 - 05/12/18 04:54 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

I don't blame you. All I was saying is that the issue is not Kickstarter smile

IIRC, the rules are if the project does not get the necessary funding, people get their money back (or no money is actually taken) but if the project does get the goal amount, the money is taken, but then obviously you're on your own. I don't see how KS should be responsible if the project goes tits up afterwards as they are a crowdfunding site, not a project management site.

Then again, I wasn't following the WWII stuff. Did it go tits up during the KS time or well after?

No the kickstarter was a success. The issue is once the money was taken the rewards, set out in the kickstarter, were reduced severely. Not only that, the timeframe of the project has come and gone years ago. ED, once they received the money decided they were not going to honour the Kickstarter. I would assume that the "team", behind the kickstarter, which included ED, had signed a contract with Kickstarter to fulfill the Kickstarter? If not what is the point of kickstarter? Anyone can scam anyone. Just put together some BS ask for money and once you receive it decide "nah, thanks for the money" but changed my mind.

DCS Kickstarter
#4420444 - 05/12/18 09:54 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

No the kickstarter was a success. The issue is once the money was taken the rewards, set out in the kickstarter, were reduced severely. Not only that, the timeframe of the project has come and gone years ago. ED, once they received the money decided they were not going to honour the Kickstarter. I would assume that the "team", behind the kickstarter, which included ED, had signed a contract with Kickstarter to fulfill the Kickstarter? If not what is the point of kickstarter? Anyone can scam anyone. Just put together some BS ask for money and once you receive it decide "nah, thanks for the money" but changed my mind.

I'm no expert but I bet you will find KS will have no involvement on the project itself and will clearly state they have no liabilities or connections with any of the projects on their site. Like I said, KS is a crowdfunding site. If the project is a scam, it's people's responsibility to do their own research and back a project or not.

Did KS reduce the WWII rewards? Did they manage the WWII project? Did ED have to take over the WWII project from KS? You are making unfair and unfounded connections between the WWII dev team (and ED) and the KS people.

DCS WWII is not the first and not the only project to have a successful KS campaign only to fail in the delivery.

Here's an entry on their FAQ page:
Kickstarter Basics: Accountability

Who is responsible for completing a project as promised?

It's the project creator's responsibility to complete their project. Kickstarter is not involved in the development of the projects themselves.

Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. On Kickstarter, backers (you!) ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

Source

- Ice
#4420468 - 05/13/18 12:39 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

I hold them all responsible. KS, ED, the fighter collection, RRG and all the others that were part of the "team". I also hold myself responsible. I wont ever back another kickstarter and I wont ever trust an ED beta again.

DCS Kickstarter
#4420469 - 05/13/18 12:44 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

I hold them all responsible. KS, ED, the fighter collection, RRG and all the others that were part of the "team". I also hold myself responsible. I wont ever back another kickstarter and I wont ever trust an ED beta again.

Yep. And I might have forgiven them were it not for the fact you ask questions about this stuff on their forums and get banned.

Shocking attitude.

#4420471 - 05/13/18 12:47 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
BigDuke6 Offline
BigDuke6  Offline

Flying the Su33 misses the point because its A: Russian, B: going off a ramp.

#4420477 - 05/13/18 01:26 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US

I'm no expert but I bet you will find KS will have no involvement on the project itself and will clearly state they have no liabilities or connections with any of the projects on their site. Like I said, KS is a crowdfunding site. If the project is a scam, it's people's responsibility to do their own research and back a project or not.

Did KS reduce the WWII rewards? Did they manage the WWII project? Did ED have to take over the WWII project from KS? You are making unfair and unfounded connections between the WWII dev team (and ED) and the KS people.

DCS WWII is not the first and not the only project to have a successful KS campaign only to fail in the delivery.

Here's an entry on their FAQ page:
Kickstarter Basics: Accountability

Who is responsible for completing a project as promised?

It's the project creator's responsibility to complete their project. Kickstarter is not involved in the development of the projects themselves.

Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. On Kickstarter, backers (you!) ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

Source

Very much this. Kickstarter is a way to back a project you want to support. You're donating money, not pre-ordering a product. Of course most Kickstarters offer rewards and there is some follow through required, but it isn't a guarantee. A team may think they only need $1 million dollars to bring a product to market, but it might end up being more than that. Add in any legal, external market factors, and whatnot. Like with all donations, consider it similar to throwing your money away.

If you think that is too risky never back on Kickstarter on a similar platform.

#4420546 - 05/13/18 02:06 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
ishbu Offline
ishbu  Offline

n.e. Ohio
Bought it.............. everyone said the same thing about the Harrier and I've been enjoying the hell out of that plane.....one of my favorite

#4420576 - 05/13/18 06:52 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: Flogger23m]  
SinCityJet Offline
SinCityJet  Offline

Yeah, right. I waited FIVE years for Nevada after the A-10C release, and it's vastly inferior to most FSX/P3D add-on maps of the same region. Four years ago, I purchased the VRS F-18 with *working* ground radar and have flown all over the world in it.

Remember the Kinney scam when you consider making ANY ED purchase.

#4420599 - 05/13/18 10:13 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: ishbu]  
BigDuke6 Offline
BigDuke6  Offline

Originally Posted by ishbu
Bought it.............. everyone said the same thing about the Harrier and I've been enjoying the hell out of that plane.....one of my favorite

#MeToo

#4420613 - 05/13/18 11:46 PM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: SinCityJet]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I hold them all responsible.

I see biggrin
Just wanted to be sure you were aware that they aren't, but if you want to blame them, go right ahead!! biggrin Don't forget to blame your bank for allowing you to make such a purchase too!!

On a more serious note, don't cross off KS just because of this. As I mentioned, there are quite a few projects worth supporting, but you'll have to do your own research. wink

Yep. And I might have forgiven them were it not for the fact you ask questions about this stuff on their forums and get banned.
Shocking attitude.

When you say "them," I assume you mean ED?

Haha! Gotcha! But like I said, takeoffs in F-18s are hands-off-the-controls affairs so don't see myself missing out on anything as I've no control there anyway. As for Russian vs. American, well, once you're doing carrier landings, does it really matter? I think it's close enough as they're both fighter jets. I bet the experience would be way different if you were landing an American F-18 Hornet vs. landing an American E-2 Hawkeye. smile

Originally Posted by SinCityJet

Kinney scam?

- Ice
#4420624 - 05/14/18 12:18 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: - Ice]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

I hold them all responsible.

I see biggrin
Just wanted to be sure you were aware that they aren't, but if you want to blame them, go right ahead!! biggrin Don't forget to blame your bank for allowing you to make such a purchase too!!

On a more serious note, don't cross off KS just because of this. As I mentioned, there are quite a few projects worth supporting, but you'll have to do your own research. wink

Shocking attitude.

When you say "them," I assume you mean ED?

Haha! Gotcha! But like I said, takeoffs in F-18s are hands-off-the-controls affairs so don't see myself missing out on anything as I've no control there anyway. As for Russian vs. American, well, once you're doing carrier landings, does it really matter? I think it's close enough as they're both fighter jets. I bet the experience would be way different if you were landing an American F-18 Hornet vs. landing an American E-2 Hawkeye. smile

Originally Posted by SinCityJet

Kinney scam?

Man! It's hard enough wading through your disection and pages of sanctimonious crap when your replying to whever you felt like butting into but i'll keep your opinions on how i should feel about KS in the void of my ignore list.

DCS Kickstarter
#4420648 - 05/14/18 04:38 AM Re: Purchase F-18/Persian Gulf? [Re: BigDuke6]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
I can see where this is going. Let's put the brakes on and take a deep breath before this becomes a back and forth of personal shots.

wink

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.