Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4419647 - 05/08/18 06:40 PM Re: Board Games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I’m guessing that the majority of us here on SimHQ have played Axis & Allies? smile

About 10 to 12 years ago, I was playing another Star Wars card game which was very dice heavy. Some units would roll 8 or 10 dice in an attack. And repeatedly I felt frustrated by the random outcomes often nullifying sometimes very expensive tactical efforts. There were times it didn't seem to matter what choices I made. The dice made things a tossup, either way.

So about that time, I looked at some Axis and Allies. Risk too, as I recall. Becoming more interested in WW2 PC sims, this made sense. But after watching some play, and reading the rules, it was so much dice and random outcomes. Many players enjoyed it, and sure it was pretty accessible and relaxed play. But I just wanted something else, and never bought these games.

There was a span of maybe 5 or 6 years after that I didn't play any board games.

When I came back, I discovered games like those in my prior post. Games which are completely *unlike* anything I played growing up. In some of those games I posted, there are zero random outcomes to combat. Each player can fully see how any combination of individual or group combats will result. This leaves everything down to player choices, tactical decisions on who will fight, where, and with what support as backup.

For me, this makes a 1 to 3 hour play far more rewarding, when I can feel like the results have been down to my choices, or a battle of player wits, more than anything really random.

Even in the "Battles of the American Revolution" series I posted, which is quite a traditional hex and counter system, the dice are there, but the outcomes seem very carefully measured, and I always have choice of when and where I attack, and can try (so far as the enemy and terrain allows), to aim at a larger battle goal, more than the individual unit clashes. Meaning for example, I can have some units operating as a ruse or screen to prevent or slow an enemy threat from interfering with my main force who is pushing for a breakthrough or flanking action.

And yea, I do get what you mention about book keeping. For my "Liberty or Death" plays, I keep pen and paper to log my play choices, in addition to the in-game tracking counters. While really unnecessary from a general gameplay standpoint, I do this mainly as an assist to analyzing my plays. This way, as I play a single campaign year each weekend or so (this over the course of a 3 to 6 year campaign, meaning 3 to 6 weekends), it's easier putting all my choices together and seeing how my overall plays worked toward my opening strategic goals (or if I strayed for some reason), and to what result.

These aspects make this type of board games quite as good as a PC game, to me. Even better, considering that not only is the play learning and experience portable (the core mechanics of both "Liberty or Death" and the "Battles of the American Revolution" are part of 18 or 19 separate games, in each of their own series of 9 or 10), but they are also platform independent and self contained. And as someone mentioned above, there's the bonus of sitting back with a drink, some music, and the interaction with friends, too. A play session quite similar to our Arma3 or R6 multiplayer PC gaming sessions.

Last edited by adlabs6; 05/08/18 06:42 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4419664 - 05/08/18 08:42 PM Re: Board Games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I own my Dad's Risk game he bought back in around 1967 or so.... it still works smile I have it here in Prague and we occasionally break it out for some great old-school gaming.

Other than that, I play X-Wing, a nice kinetic flowing game with dramas and some phonebox knife-fights that are really fun. Nice models too.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4419671 - 05/08/18 09:10 PM Re: Board Games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
vinyl records.

What other kinds of records are there? biggrin

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4419702 - 05/09/18 12:42 AM Re: Board Games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Only if Cards Against Humanity count as a board game...i highly recommend it either way

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4419813 - 05/09/18 03:55 PM Re: Board Games [Re: Spidey]  
Wallimiyama Offline
Wallimiyama  Offline

Just south of the North Pole (...
Originally Posted by Spidey
Only if Cards Against Humanity count as a board game...i highly recommend it either way

A bigger, blacker...what?

Wally
-Are we havin' fun yet?
#4419917 - 05/09/18 11:21 PM Re: Board Games [Re: DM]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by DM
Other than that, I play X-Wing, a nice kinetic flowing game with dramas and some phonebox knife-fights that are really fun. Nice models too.

X-Wing and Armada have been appealing to my interests, lately. But I don't know anybody else who plays them. I see the X-Wing product line is getting a 2.0 reboot soon, so I'll keep an eye on that.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4419921 - 05/09/18 11:24 PM Re: Board Games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
I still have a game called "Stop Thief". And it still works. Stupid good fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Thief-Electronic-Robbers-Board/dp/B000RHG3FC

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4420367 - 05/12/18 01:06 PM Re: Board Games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JohnnyChemo Online sleepy
JohnnyChemo  Online Sleepy

Buffalo, NY
My friends and I try to have a game night once a month or so. Some of the titles we play are Cataan, Dominion, Carcassonne, Ticket To Ride, Trolls, and a few others.

The gold standard for us gaming wise though has always been Cosmic Encounter. It has been released by a few different publishers with some new twists but we generally play the Mayfield (Mayfair? Not sure) edition. The original (Eon) version had balance issues. Avalon Hill put a simplified version out, and now there a newer version which is supposed to be pretty good but I haven’t tried it yet.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4420375 - 05/12/18 02:11 PM Re: Board Games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I guess like a lot of members her in the old years played anything avolon hill or SPI put out along with the Strategy and Tactics magazine games but then the Commodore 64 came around and we all drifted apartBut with the kids it was Othello,,axis and Allies,,Stratego and Risk along with the classics monopoly,,scrabble the usual milton bradly games...now the kids are grown and live far away and my dog can't learn to playso it's a lot of sims and turned based games but playing Panzer Corps and others passes a day when the weather is bad or I don't feel like doing anything

Russ
Semper Fi
#4421315 - 05/18/18 12:59 AM Re: Board Games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
our family went out for mother's day to a gaming restaurant. they had shelves stacked with games, many I'd never heard of. we ate and played chameleon, good fun.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#4421461 - 05/18/18 07:51 PM Re: Board Games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
not a board game, but I guarantee you'll die laughing playing this game. We got it a few years ago, been playing every 6 months with my cousin and his wife.
It's so wrong if the cards are played right. They have multiple decks you can buy, then look up

https://cardsagainsthumanity.com/

http://www.crabsadjusthumidity.com/Crabs-Adjust-Humidity--Vol-One_p_8.html

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.