DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Something like this

Keelback

I have 200m credits burning a hole in my pocket so I thought I would try out a different ship. My idea was to make it a planetary landing ship, and give me a chance to mess around with a SLF. It's only 13m credits as outfitted and that's worth a punt. Gather rocks and canyon running in the fighter.

I wish it had another optional internal, because I have to sacrifice something. I cannot fit a scoop, a fighter bay, a SRV, shields and both scanners and still have cargo capacity of any sort to bring back those poor folks marooned in their escape pods. So either the cargo rack, the scoop or the DSS would need to go.

I want to get accustomed to SLF operations so I can wing up and fly someone's fighter. My fleet is getting bigger, this would be ship number 6. That is allowing me to focus the builds for different roles, rather than re-configuring my ships as needed. How luxurious smile

Anyone flying this old bucket of bolts?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4417990 - 04/26/18 07:46 PM Re: I think I want to buy a Keelback [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I didn't expect so many SLF choices. Which ones do you guys like?

I chose the Taipan with fixed beams, but more with my gut than anything.

If I don't hire crew I can park the ship on a planet and go for a ride like it was the SRV?

Sooner than later I'll get myself a minion, but wanted to try the SLF out before doing so.

I bought the Keelback and it's all kitted out. Happened to have a spare 4A power plant and an SRV hangar lying about, so saved a little expense. Did some FSD engineering and she jumps 30+ which is plenty for the role I intend for her. Just used up the last of my Manganese and Arsenic so will be putting the Keelback through her paces in short order to go find some more. Not a fan of the cockpit, I didn't realize that was possible in a Lakon. Very utilitarian, which I suppose fits. And the boost sound is far from pleasing, but this ship is all about the job. For now I've sacrificed the DSS for the cargo rack because I'm all about search and rescue you know.

#4417999 - 04/26/18 08:49 PM Re: I think I want to buy a Keelback [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I like the Taipan myself, but each has it's own traits.

To ride the SLF without a crew, just pull to a stop above the planet surface, maybe 500m up or so. Below a certain altitude, you can't deploy the SLF. Then launch the fighter with yourself controlling. The Keelback will try to follow you (even without a crew, it has a basic autopilot), but you can order it to hold position, if desired. This is what I do most of the time, and enjoy some low level action in the SLF while the ship awaits overhead.

And the SLF is remotely controlled, so from within the fighter you can always switch back to your main ship if needed, instantly. It's been a long while since I've done this, but without a crew, the SLF may be destroyed on switch. Can't recall.

Last edited by adlabs6; 04/26/18 08:51 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4418004 - 04/26/18 09:21 PM Re: I think I want to buy a Keelback [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks, I didn't try that. I just returned from a planetary prospecting mission and tried to deploy it like an SRV which didn't work (too low like you said, though I didn't know it). I'll try your method next time.

I would really like one more small optional slot. But this ship, for the money, does a pretty good job. Econocarrier smile

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.