Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4417768 - 04/25/18 06:42 PM gimbal placement  
oryhara Offline
oryhara  Offline

I'm not trying to replicated any existing cockpit design, but I am building my own flight stick. One question i have yet to answer is where to mount the gimbal?
I currently have a T16000M on a retractible stalk to position it for center stick flying. I find i prefer center stick to side stick.

What is the ideal placement of the base of the gimbal? Directly under the grip? straight down from pilot's knees? A lot of pictures I've seen of cyclic stalks show them curved(around the seat) and seem to pivot quite a bit forward of where the grip is. Another design I saw showed a gimbal mounted at 45 degrees from horizontal beneath the seat with the stalk having a 90 degree bend to bring the grip back to where the pilot could reach it. I flew in a sim cockpit with a warthog that had an extension but the base was directly in front of the chair. such that at full rear position it compressed the foam seat slightly. This was a bit uncomfortable for me since I had to lean forward to keep my hand on the grip.

I am concerned that with a gimbal far forward of the grip, gravity will cause the 'center' to be more towards the rear.

Seeking feedback, opinions, criticism. Thank you.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4417867 - 04/26/18 03:02 AM Re: gimbal placement [Re: oryhara]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Well, undoubtedly the better gimbals designs for domestic joystick is:

BRD
VKB
VPC

All designed for use some length of extension - but at maximum on chair seat level, what means a 15/20cm extesion.

Unless VKB* the others use straight extension - not because are "best", but more simple/cheap to make.

VKB 20 cm "S" extension was designed in that way with the objective to minimize the (heavy ~ 1KG+) Warthog grip tendency do tilt front when in center position, and so avoid the need of use a more strong spring, but this "S" make the "conflict" with chair seat more probable.

So, your chair type/height, grip type/weight, flight game type (e.g. helicopter, "scapecraft" have different demands than jet's, warbirds) play in the equation, the better to do is do some trial with your intended concept.

#4417909 - 04/26/18 12:02 PM Re: gimbal placement [Re: oryhara]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Consider making your prototype extension adjustable. Choose two pipe sizes where the smaller one fits nicely inside of the larger one, then you can experiment with different extension lengths.

#4418110 - 04/27/18 02:17 PM Re: gimbal placement [Re: oryhara]  
oryhara Offline
oryhara  Offline

the shape and length of the extension isn't going to be an issue. Ihave a 3d printer and some surplus 20mm extrusion. ALso a tubing bender, so i can make the stick between the gimbal and grip almost any kind of shape it needs to be, with sufficient rigidity. Also the gimbal I'm using is this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2496028
I like that I can tweak the curves on the cam to get the stick to move how i like. I've already altered the original design to remove the 'detent' that existed at center position.

My question is a more high level; where to place the gimbal in relation to the pilot?

I did a little googling and found an F18 pilot position diagram, though i can't locate it at the moment or i'd link it, that should be of some use.
Thank you for your feedback.

#4418139 - 04/27/18 05:49 PM Re: gimbal placement [Re: oryhara]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted by oryhara

My question is a more high level; where to place the gimbal in relation to the pilot?

Just in a position that don't conflict with legs, knees and chair seat. smile

And remember that more length the stick more chance for conflicts.

..an F18 pilot position diagram,

Unless your are trying replicate a real plane cockpit (e.g. an F-18) the dimensions of their real stick will not help much if you will use a office chair.

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=722

For a office chair, the best (IMO) position for gimbal:

[Linked Image]

#4418149 - 04/27/18 07:02 PM Re: gimbal placement [Re: oryhara]  
oryhara Offline
oryhara  Offline

I have a car bucket type seat and i'm building the rest around it. I hesitate to say pit since its my computer chair for genaral purpose use also. here is an older picture: https://i.imgur.com/JszrLVm.jpg
thank you for the forum link. I can't read the russian, but from the pictures it looks like what i'm doing, thoug hi haven't gone so far as to model a human body to size things. I just measure from myself in the chair and print parts. printing my own parts is so cheap i can change the design and print another if i don't like the fit.

I'm trying to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge of human ergonomics with regards to flight stick controls that they've employed(in theory) in the design of that cockpit.
I could try and position the gimbal under my seat and have it connect to the grip via a C-shaped stick to clear the cushion of the seat itself, since i don't have a chair with a big cutout like the ejector seat of that cockpit does.

#4418205 - 04/28/18 03:23 AM Re: gimbal placement [Re: oryhara]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
In your "pit" you already sit low, what limit use long stick extension, convenient because this gimbal you are using as base was done for desktop use, without extension and weak springs relative to ones needed for extension, maybe are good idea reinforce spring attachments for use strong springs.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.