Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4417559 - 04/24/18 02:34 AM Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix!  
Guynemer27 Offline
Guynemer27  Offline

Ontario
Suddenly your youth's heroes (yes, you, Mr Glenn! ) are a bit tarnished by the level of misogyny of this era... These admirable women were so strong to endure
all the ordeal to be astronaut just to be destroyed before their dream come true by the boy's club only that was Nasa at the time.

Amazing documentary to see ( with fabulous filmography) a group of great female heroes who paved the way for more equality in the space conquest.
I also loved how the Russian played the PR card so much better than misogynistic America...

Last edited by Guynemer27; 04/24/18 02:36 AM.

Nicolas GRIGNON
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4417671 - 04/24/18 09:17 PM Re: Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix! [Re: Guynemer27]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Your description makes me not want to watch it to be honest. I don't know if its inherent in the film's production or just your take on it but the "misogynistic America" comment is a red flag for me coupled with the fact that its on Netflix has me suspicious. Thanks for sharing about it though. I may check into it to see what I can see.

Last edited by Coot; 04/24/18 09:18 PM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4417699 - 04/25/18 02:26 AM Re: Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix! [Re: Guynemer27]  
Guynemer27 Offline
Guynemer27  Offline

Ontario
Sad, you would really miss a wonderful documentary and a bit of American history that wasn't written in the history books...
a bit like the wonderful film about the black women mathematicians employed by nasa undercover from the public eyes (Hidden figures)
Sometimes, you have to go further than your original intuition. These courageous American women fought hard to be astronaut, they passed the same tests, they were ready too. but they were shot down near the finish line. And they need also to be remembered at a time where history books ignored them.
This is not fiction, this is also your history, not the narrative they wanted us to believe in at the time.

Last edited by Guynemer27; 04/25/18 03:09 AM.

Nicolas GRIGNON
#4417707 - 04/25/18 04:37 AM Re: Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix! [Re: Guynemer27]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

You seem to jump to some conclusions and assumptions about my concerns with this film which is unfortunate. The "your history" response comes off as pretty rude. Perhaps you did not intend for your responses to sound patronizing in which case if so, or if I misinterpreted it as such, no biggie friend. If I somehow stepped on your toes with my post then I give you my apologies. I love the study of history and that includes the good, the bad and the ugly. I dislike obfuscation. That all being said, the specific words you used in describing this show however, caused me initially to second guess what kind of documentary it really is.(Again it doesn't have anything to do with you personally) One has to be careful with "documentaries" sometimes and that is only right and fair because anyone can make them. So there in lies my caution as a potential viewer. Perhaps it is really good which is why I expressed interest in checking it out in my first post. I love military aviation and space race history. I wish I could get my grandfather's take on it as he was there at Redstone and then NASA for 25+ years from the late 50s until his retirement in 1986(interestingly he retired just two weeks prior to the Challenger accident)and he worked with both men and women. It would be interesting to hear what he observed and what his thoughts would be on this aspect. I'm forever grateful for the stories he did share with me though before he passed including some Korea stories which from my understanding he rarely spoke about.

#4417853 - 04/26/18 01:42 AM Re: Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix! [Re: Guynemer27]  
Guynemer27 Offline
Guynemer27  Offline

Ontario
English is not my native language so I apologize for my bad choice of words. When I said "your" history, I was refering to USA, your country from your avatar information (I am from France)... it was not meant to be rude.
I hope you watch the documentary as speaking of it is one thing but you will better understand my words if you do watch it.

I don't criticize your grandfather, and I am sure France was also very misogynistic during the same era (and still is today unfortunately).
I would have liked to get your grandfather insight on this subject, as it is always better to get the whole picture than just one side of the story.
Even if the documentary provides ample evidences of this misogynistic culture at NASA (and let's admit it, in the whole western society).

If (or once) you watch it, let's have a talk about it if you want.

Last edited by Guynemer27; 04/26/18 01:44 AM.

Nicolas GRIGNON
#4417877 - 04/26/18 04:36 AM Re: Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix! [Re: Guynemer27]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Point well taken Guy and I respect your God given right to your own opinions. I have strong opinions and questions of my own on the potential guiding spirit behind this production and so for now I will most likely pass. To be fair, I would have to watch the documentary to decide for myself whether or not its devoid of unsavory interests and until then I can't rightly talk any further on the show. If anyone is really interested in this discussion its my hope that, as you suggested, they go to the source if possible and do their own homework regardless in pursuing all sides of a matter in fairness and for the sake of understanding. That's all we can do at the end of the day. As for my grandfather and others who were there but who are no longer with us and who also can not speak for themselves on this topic, out of respect I will not attempt to speak for them. I don't have the right to do so and I personally don't want to risk errors. I'm glad we could be peaceful.

Last edited by Coot; 04/26/18 04:37 AM.

#4417923 - 04/26/18 02:30 PM Re: Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix! [Re: Guynemer27]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
Mercury 13, about 13 women who underwent the same training—in a privately funded program outside of NASA’s purview....

So these women were not actually part of the NASA astronaut training program?

Documentaries are seldom objective, the originators usually have an agenda.

Guynemer27, your opening statement : "Suddenly your youth's heroes (yes, you, Mr Glenn! ) are a bit tarnished by the level of misogyny of this era...",
is a bit off putting.

Have you checked anywhere to see if Glenn, or any of the other candidates were even aware of these women?
Did he or any of the other trainees, actually cause these women to be denied.

Check out the people responsible for the documentary, including NETFLIX, their underlying motives may deserve some scrutiny.

#4418023 - 04/27/18 12:08 AM Re: Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix! [Re: Guynemer27]  
Guynemer27 Offline
Guynemer27  Offline

Ontario
Things would be so much better if you would all watch this documentary by yourself and form a definitive opinion about it... it is just 1 hour of your life afterall.
I just made a post where I said I enjoyed it and made my opinion about it based on actually WATCHING IT... Free to discuss your own opinion about it once one of you watched it.

The Glenn bit is IN this documentary, John give his answer to a journalist who ask if women should be astronaut... His answer don't let much doubt...

Nicolas GRIGNON
#4418030 - 04/27/18 01:06 AM Re: Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix! [Re: Guynemer27]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Saw mention of this on the news, it does sound interesting. Nothing will tarnish my opinion of John Glenn though, even he made mistakes, as all humans do, but did more to contribute to our country than most. LBJ though...he’s the one that ended the program right?
Wasn’t the man responsible for the program also an American? Seems like he was a progressive fella, or was he a mysoginist too?

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4418039 - 04/27/18 02:09 AM Re: Mercury 13: amazing documentary on Netflix! [Re: Guynemer27]  
Guynemer27 Offline
Guynemer27  Offline

Ontario
yes, an american doctor, he wanted to know if women could also be fit for space... I think he was a progressive and his intention were genuine but the documentary don't really dig into his personal agenda for making these tests available for women.
And also yes LBJ closed the program with an official letter showing his clear opinion on this question that it's shown in the documentary. Another interresting fact was the key role of the powerful Jacky Cochran at a pivotal moment...

Last edited by Guynemer27; 04/27/18 02:43 AM.

Nicolas GRIGNON

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.