Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 558 of 608 1 2 556 557 558 559 560 607 608
#4417350 - 04/22/18 02:45 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Doesn't everyone celebrate holly days the day before like I do? Really? OK ya got me. Truthfully, I knew Earth Day is Sunday but I sped it up a day just to get in the little joke. Technically, I never said the US was celebrating today. I said "here, we are celebrating". In this case "here" meaning at my house. wink

Blue Bonnets. I believe Ladybird Johnson loved those flowers. Maybe we''ll have carpets of flowers in May.

Speaking of jokes, did you know that Dux has so many gold gongs pinned on him for war time bravery and at least one big one from the Brewers and Distillers Union Of Wales for conspicuous consumption above and beyond, that he cashed them all in and bought the whole county of Burpighamshire? Yes, LeRoy, he got change back too.

Yup. He has even proclaimed himself the Duke of same. (Note: I must remember to curtsy next time he drops in.) So, it is my hope the new Duke will pass along my birthday salutation to the Queen in person. Yes, LeRoy, there is the slight chance his title may not be recognized and he might be thrown in the slammer. I do hope not. His throat always gets so parched and dry when in the slammer. winkngrin

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 04/22/18 02:48 AM. Reason: something conspicuous

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4417352 - 04/22/18 03:03 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Ya'll,

My bad, JRT. I was really trying to see how far off I was. You are not the only one that celebrates or marks things a day or more away.
That's an old habit of mine due to the job or position. -As in perpetually being too junior to celebrate the Fourth, Christmas or birthdays on the appointed day because someone had to work on the holidays.
Besides, I have yet to find the two calendars I know I got in February.
We won't mention the check paid out and received in November that I must find and cash soon since my bank gets upset and in turn upsets me when I turn in a check more than six months old.

#4417416 - 04/22/18 07:12 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Another nice but partly sunny day this SUNday.

Fittop,

I have been lucky and never had to work on a holly day or for the most part not even on weekends. I did at Christmas time work on all weekends. Not ever on the day itself and usually took off half a day on Christmas Eve. At budget time I was in my office all seven days, sometime late nights when I was not senior enough or later when there were concerns and a rigid deadline.

I'm dependably reminded on my phone a day before certain holly days and other very special days. Now and then this can cause even more confusion to my already ossified gray matter. So far, I have not yet proclaimed Christmas Day in July in anything but retail ads or determined it was miraculously Easter in January. This might change at anytime. winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4417495 - 04/23/18 04:21 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

HAPPY HWH ANNIVERSARY..................Tomorrow Fittop. wink

As you should all know, tomorrow marks the 17th anniversary of SNAFU's HWH thread on this forum.

At this time, it does not seem we will manage to acquire the desired 20 million views by that date unless, of course, we start viewing like crazy and get most of the folks in the US and Europe to do the same.

19,914 + Million views ain't bad especially for a near 20 year old game most folks say they can't even play anymore. We'll likely reach 20 million sometime in the coming year. Then maybe we should look at shutting this thread down and moving on if we can agree on the "where to"?

I see we have attained a respectable 1,115 pages. If we add the 600 that were lost when the servers crashed, that indeed is a very desireable 1,715 pages. Whoda thunk it when "Fearless Founder" SNAFU, along with a goodly number of us posters, began this "Flame-Free thread back in 2001?

Only a choice few of us remain today and I for one am proud to have been a part of the beginning and the present celebration of 17 years posting and socializing here. No doubt, wherever SNAFU may be today, if he be at all, he is proud as well.

Thanks for being a part of HWH. I hope everyone who can will visit tomorrow and leave a few words about your HWH experience, positive or even negative, if you like. I would like that and I am sure SNAFU would as well.

NOTICE:
This year, to save on expense, it is BYOB. Please remember that. As we are located in different countries around the world, and in my case, sometime in a different world altogether, celebrations will begin for each of us at midnight tonight. It will end when your Mickey Mouse watch chimes midnight tomorrow night. Start early, stay late.

LeRoy, you be sure Dux has a clean bucket from which to drink Chateau Thames Embankment Vin. Earlier Today. Well, actually whatever Vin. he brings. Be sure to choose the men responsible for holding Olga if she over indulges in that fatal home brew vodka she favors. She nearly killed all eight of the bruisers you chose last year.

And, LeRoy, I will personally hold you responsible for any unfortunate maiming or deaths should Olga notice Dux chatting up or dancing with any other female. Yes, as we learned to our great surprise and grave discomfort last year, that includes the squadron mascot. winkngrin

#4417560 - 04/24/18 03:03 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen,
Ya'll.

First of all, Congratulations on reaching that happy Anniversary.
You guys have worked hard, and achieved what probably seemed an impossible task. -Had you thought that 17 years would be an objective in any case.
I address you as Gentlemen since every formal occasion seems to start with that word before it turns into a formalized gaggle of fun, wine glasses and sloshed beer.

The almost 5.196 post brings attention the the hard work of JRT, even if not all of them have been in this thread. I propose a toast to the man with wooden airplane wings attached in his avatar.
I am sure the other veterans of the thread will also toast to him and I will toast them and thank them in turn.

Thank you all for showing a newcomer a friendly thread. Congratulations again.

#4417561 - 04/24/18 03:04 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

2001 TO 2018[/b

[b]HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 2018

Attached Files HWH Anniv 2018_2 (829 x 624).jpg

#4417562 - 04/24/18 03:10 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I do not believe those extra formatting characters were supposed to show up in the message. Just an anniversary bonus I suppose.

Fittop:

You are far too kind. Had it not been for Dux, MG, and the missing PV1(the longest survivors) and pilots like you and OG, I would have been MIA long ago. Thanks for the pleasure of your company gentlemen. A toast to you all and the missing but remembered.

Thanks and a toast to SNAFU, long MIA, who helped bring us all together. SALUTE!

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 04/24/18 03:20 AM. Reason: Setting records straighter if not straight.

#4417577 - 04/24/18 04:04 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Ya'll,

Just a note, I had just been checking back pages and again, found references to Katrina, that had just happened. Nice to see the time machine.

Page 387, where there are worries of missing cousins in that hurricane, found safe by page 389 and then other stories around 443.
Now you've led me, -actually a profile look-and-see, has led me to a video of the original T-6 which I now mean to return to.

Yep, a glass raised to those missing, and to you surviving vets. Thank you for your work!

#4417648 - 04/24/18 04:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A rainy day in April here in eastern NC, USA. That's good for May flowers I guess. The cat is totally absorbed watching the rivulets of rain running down the glass of the cat TV. Now and then she tries half heatedly to catch one. She's learned that isn't so easy as it looks.

Fittop:

Thanks for dropping by. There is much to be found and, I hope, to be enjoyed in our dusty, musty archives. I recommend you view them all, especially on this our 17th HWH anniversary. You may get some idea of what this thread was like back then. These days you do not have to risk your life climbing down those 3,000 crumbling step into the dank and dark HWH Hall archives anymore.

All that content is now available electronically these days. No one has even been bitten by a man-sized bat or beaver sized rat in positively ages. The last was LeRoy and when he was in hospital he got a brand new multi prophylactic kinda jab from Matron. No, not THAT kind of prophylactic. It was an inoculation so he is now immune to all the infections you can get from the yellow teeth and claws of those hungry beasties that lurk down there in the shadows.

This reminds us LeRoy, we really must get to work digitally transcribing the HWH Handbook. That is presently only available in 29 expensive gilt edged volumes. As always, sparing no exorbitant expense, the volumes are printed on choice Australian dung beetle belly skin foolscap and lovingly hand bound under icy artanasal well water, using only the scarcest Peruvian Faux Naugahyde by highly skilled nearsighted bushmen.

Soon you may be able to download the Handbook for the amazingly low price of $500 per volume (plus any required excise tax). So sign up now and get signed autographs from none other then WC Old Dux and General Olga of Minsk. Hmmm, at whatever the going rate at the time might be.

Way back in the dark ages when like minded men gathered on websites to discuss interesting games. Some men became frustrated when others posted what were called "Flames". These inflammatory posts were usually directed at other gentleman due to various heated disagreements.

One who was much frustrated was our "Fearless Founder" SNAFU. What was needed, said he, was a safe place to post action reports and other items of interest without attack. On April 24, 2001 Here's What Happened (this thread) was born and has now reached its 17th year this very date.

Popular and resilient, our thread has survived even the great SimHQ server crash when all 600 HWH pages collected to that date were lost down the digital rabbit hole. We came back from that wiser and more determined than ever. SNAFU began again and called it "HWH Continued". That was a tough blow. The greatest loss was the day our founder SNAFU went AWO.... went missing over the Channel and presumed intoxica.... presumed lost. He has not been heard from since.

We few have soldiered on hoping his pay checks would keep coming, wait no, not that, I meant to say desperately hoping for his prompt return. Over the years, our members have dwindled, it is true. Most went over to the A2A forum where they flourished for quite a long time.

Others found new games that took them away. The wonderful BDG struggled on as their own ranks also lessened. I believe today, only our PV1 remains at his post continuing a labor of love. We salute him and all the members of the BDG in the past. I'm not a coder, yet I was an made honorary member once. An honor far beyond my deserving.

Today, with Win 10 refusing to play nice with our BoB and limited man hours to fix the code, only those with unsupported or soon to be unsupported OS can play BoB. I cannot and I miss it. Typing here gives me my daily BoB fix. I am thankful for this.

It would be a nice tribute to SNAFU and others if HWH Continued made it to our 20th anniversary. That seems unlikely for several reasons yet perhaps possible even without a game to play. Friends, life long friendships have been forged here. HWH is special in my mind. Other threads have been around longer. But for 17 years this special thread has had not one flame or, as far as I know, nary a cross word uttered. That my friends is very special. Don't you agree?

Thank you all for joining HWH. It is a pleasure to know you gentlemen. And you too Dux. winkngrin

#4417649 - 04/24/18 04:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

BUMP

Attached Files HWH Anniv 2018_2 (829 x 624).jpg

#4417664 - 04/24/18 07:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Happy anniversary to our thread! band bottles All memorable words have already been put eloquently forward so I'll get straight into the part of the celebrations that involve drinking and walking on the ceiling in the mess. May the thread and all posters and readers, past, present and future experience lots of blue skies and happy landings. thumbsup

Last edited by McGonigle; 04/24/18 07:05 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4417666 - 04/24/18 07:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

I have no good tales or witty conversation to contribute. So, I’ll just say Congratulations on the longevity of this thread.

Ta-Da !

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4417677 - 04/24/18 10:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Ya'll,

Surely you jest Sir. Nothing to contribute? Who then, put a picture of a pretty flying machine, that along with the news of a friend getting a Cirrus, sent me scrounging through the aircraft for sale listings?
Along with that, posted a warning about that beautiful, if expensive machine having a fairly low prop clearance?

OK, part of my musing into those pages is also due to a son complaining about some maintenance money-shaking issues with a boss. I have no need to plan for funerals; have attended enough of them this past year.

But then, who stirred my imagination of rain dances at night with smiling happy ladies that got results, and along with JRT and a a biking friend of his, reminded me of a cool evening or morning wind and smelling the sea breeze, and the fact that I have not seen a beach in six years?

Mumble mumble, and I forgot to mention that beautiful car of OG.
Geez, I am getting old. I think the second. or third mention of that car also spawned thoughts of pretty ladies.
That's what makes this thread, good day dreams. copter

#4417683 - 04/24/18 11:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I sit here with head phones on listening to pure 50's and 60's nostalgia. Music is the magic carpet that reliably takes me back to the days when I just knew the future was always going to be better and there was very friendly girl for every night of the week.

Thanks for dropping by again Fittop. OG, with so many options, you said quite a lot by showing up. Thank you too MG. You always contribute something worthwhile even when in abbreviated form.

Happy Anniversary.

#4417793 - 04/25/18 09:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Ck. yer PM. An unsuitable reply awaits you there.

#4417805 - 04/25/18 09:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:
Follow up E-mail sent as well. LMK if you got it.

#4417849 - 04/26/18 01:22 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

For those who use G Mail as I have since Outlook's cost became more than zero. Google has just today released a spiffy new look for its desktop and mobile email client. Not everyone has gotten it as is Google's way. To check if you can download it now, load G Mail and look in the settings. I found the option at the very top.

This was for the desktop version. I haven't checked the phone as yet. You can try it if you like or not try it. Sooner or latter if you don't have it you will get the update. I like it. Maybe you will.

Because I despise texting due to the tiny keyboard and my weakening eyes, I have just downloaded the MightyText apps for my Chrome browser and my Android smart phone. Once they easily paired by WiFi I can now send and receive SMS and MMS messages on my computer. I can type my messages using my laptop keyboard. The apps are both FREE. But do scrutinize what these apps require permission to access before you get and install them.

Pushbullet and Airdroid are two more options for texting. Pushbullet is lite with few features other than texting, Airdroid is more a device manager with messaging capability and much more. I've tried Airdroid and I liked it. It does not work well with my new phone. So, look at them all and decide which , if any, you might want to try.

#4417920 - 04/26/18 02:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I've learned that our beloved keeper of bloated OS and software with unwanted features in general, that's Microsoft I'm alluding to, is tinkering with a Lean version of it's latest Dinosaur, windows 10. the apparition goes by the name of Windows 10 Lean and apparently it comes without preloaded apps and desktop images. It saves 2 Gb in footprint once installed. Sadly it still sports the tiles and the hideous design. If anything, it is now even more hideous due to the black desktop image.

I can only speculate that Microsoft wants to address the multiple installations of Windows XP that are used to drive applications like information screens, the types found at airports, railway stations, in trains and buses, in banks and other such places where an automated system runs through a preselected number of still screens and movies clips. Even my cable provider uses such devices I suspect. I'm not at all convinced that this version is going to be available to the public at large.

As you Roger, I also dig into the back catalogue of oldies but goodies when perusing my collection of music. Currently on rotation is Muddy Waters, as well as music that I discovered at an early age. A recent return to the Silver fox, Charlie Rich has left me amazed at the man's talents as singer, songwriter, piano player, and the general musicianship on the recordings. all musicians and singers never do "too much", realizing that it is not how much you play, but how well you play that is of the essence. This especially strikes me as his versatility is displayed on the album Silver Linings which consists of songs in a genre I don't usually enjoy; Godspell. His songs are refined, bluesy and jazzy. Watching a band of Danish Godspell singers the other day, I thought that in comparison they sounded very much as happy but hapless amateurs.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4417993 - 04/26/18 08:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Partly sunny today. The weather is about the same. wink We'll have temps in the mid 70's F.

MG:

Yup, they are tinkering around with a "lean" version of Windoze. It may be for smaller screens like phones or tablets, not sure. As for tablets, I think that ship has sailed already so I dunno. As of yesterday, not much info yet. I haven't looked today.

Charlie was very popular indeed. His old tunes still are popular with his many fans. He died in the mid nineties. I liked the old songs like "Behind Closed Doors".

"Country" music was not appreciated by my generation. That was "our parent's music". The music danced to before and during WW2. We were into Pop and all about Elvis, Ricky and were devoted to Rock & Roll. Times change and even artists and music genres can be reinvented. They become more of a blend in styles. Thus reborn, they become popular again. So it has been with "Country Music". The "Country" in the music of today does not sound all that much like the "Country" music of my parents.

Did you know Danish pop princess Sisse Marie tried to make her mark on American pop starting in Atlanta, Ga a few years ago? Not a "country" hopeful but hopeful just the same. I wonder how well she has done? We've long embraced music from other countries. In my time it was the "Fab Four", Herman's Hermits and others that also included an unexpected Japanese tune "Sukiyaki" sung by Kyu Sakamoto.

I dunno but I highly suspect those singers known as "ABBA" weren't from around here. winkngrin

#4418012 - 04/26/18 10:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop and OG:

You fellows should really enjoy this YouTube video my son directed me to. winkngrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg73GKm7GgI&feature=youtu.be

It's titled "LA Speed check"

Attached Files Speed Check.jpg

Page 558 of 608 1 2 556 557 558 559 560 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.