Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4416883 - 04/18/18 08:09 PM CH Combat Stick to USB  
Protek Offline
Protek  Offline

First post on the forum.

I recently got myself a CH Combat Stick and the Pro Throttle. Both are of the gameport type, and my plan is to convert them to USB. I’ve read through some of the great conversion projects here and I am aware of the principles how the conversion is done. I would like to throw a few ideas in the air, though.

The first is more out of the box. I was considering making an external adapter based on an arduino. It would interpret the signals from the Combat Stick and Pro Throttle and convert them to corresponding buttons. Kind of like CH’s own driver software did. That of course means understanding the signaling generated by the stick’s own electronics. I really don’t know how feasible this is and I could use your input.

The second is redesigning the PCB’s in the stick and throttle to implement a button matrix. The idea is to minimize the cabling needed. I’d be using surface mount diodes to save space. I would design the matrix in Eagle CAD and transferring the schematic to a PCB that has the same shape and layout as the original PCB.

I’d love to hear your thoughts about both approaches, their feasibility and such.

This will be a slow project as my free time is limited, but I’m nevertheless excited about it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4417263 - 04/21/18 01:27 PM Re: CH Combat Stick to USB [Re: Protek]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Good luck.

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#4417271 - 04/21/18 02:27 PM Re: CH Combat Stick to USB [Re: Protek]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Your "plan B" (second option) is easy to do. "Plan A" is (IMO) just try - in a complicated way, "salt rotten meat". wink

Cheap option for "plan B" - Arduino PRO Micro (~$6), or Teensy 2.0+ with firmware MMjoy2*, require flash firmware through USB cable (easy to do).

This firmware is customizable, allow you set number of axes (up to 8), number of buttons (up to 120), use contactless sensor (TLE5010) in digital mode, encoder, set time for buttons, mode for toggle switches, and define a button (e.g. pinky) to be "shift" for other buttons by hardware.

An more powerful/customizable and cheap option.

Arduino STM32F103C8T6 - ARM32 (~$3) with firmware [url=https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3450383#post3450383]EasyJoy 32 Revolution V3 ($6 license) - require flash firmware. This controller has LED output (use depend on flight game support).

Combatstick grip require no changes internally - unless you want add more buttons (I add a "paddle" lever in mines), the cables coming from grip is from 5x4 matrix, don't need "reinvent the wheel" there.
Same for PRO Throttle - don't remember what is the matrix (probable 6x4, since have more buttons than CombatStick), but is easy do "decode" with multimeter.
Can reuse even the connector of cable coming from grip to controller.

Each potentiometer require require add a 3rd wire (actually are only 2 in each).

Both options don't require make additional PCB, but can use a breadbaord as support, or even make a custom PCB support for Arduino (they are minuscule) and pins.

That guy there upload PCB layouts for OSPark:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26942&highlight=combatstick
http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...uild-your-own-usb-controller#Post4416182

- He use a CombatStick grip only, because have a BRD base (with CAM gimbal ways superior to CombatStick original), and Arduino+MMJoy2, but the principle is the same using CombatStick original base.

BTW - Original PCB's inside joy/throttle has no use, can send to recycle bin with no remorse. smile

Ready to use USB controllers option (no firmware flash required) BU0836A, DSD 12 (~$40-50).

https://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836A/
http://derekspearedesigns.com/12-bit-controllers.html]DSD12

All this options have resolution of 10/12 bits - what is 4/8 times more resolution than the controller used in actual USB version of this joysticks.

With MMjoy2 or EasyJoy 32 firmware options (allow set response curves, axis to button...) and (free) Joystick Gremlin keymapper you have programability similar do Manager - but without issues to run in WIn10. smile

*MMjoy2 firmware was developed by the same guy who did VirPil (VPC) electronics. EasyJoy32 by Chinese simmer for use in DCS World. If you are used to code can do/customize your own Arduino firmware.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.