Page 26 of 31 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 30 31
#4416932 - 04/19/18 07:59 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Frederf]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by Frederf
What was the time span between OB 2.5 and Release 2.5?

Answer my question

01-30-2018 OB2.5

04-04-2018 Release 2.5

approx 9 weeks or so. Question Answered.......

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4416933 - 04/19/18 08:02 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by - Ice
ED absolutely did work on a fix for DCS!!! It's called "raising the minimum system requirements"!

And what better person to come out with this official release for a 'fix' than FiveLine himself.....that way anyone who shows proof of any 'memory leak' or questions 'going against the grain' see their posts removed, topic locked posting rights removed.

A prime example of this is found within the same thread SevenLine created as mentioned above

Original Source of 'Memory Leak'

Edit::::: Apologies Ice, I did not see you had quoted the source already

Ice quoted for the record

#4417021 - 04/19/18 06:51 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Frederf]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK

You're classing a name change as an official release?

I'll be classing 2.5 as a release when it works, is mildly optimised and when it reflects something worthy of a release. Now is not that time regardless of what those incompetent developers like to label it as.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4417024 - 04/19/18 07:41 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Winfield]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Originally Posted by Winfield
ED absolutely did work on a fix for DCS!!! It's called "raising the minimum system requirements"!

And what better person to come out with this official release for a 'fix' than FiveLine himself.....that way anyone who shows proof of any 'memory leak' or questions 'going against the grain' see their posts removed, topic locked posting rights removed.

A prime example of this is found within the same thread SevenLine created as mentioned above

Original Source of 'Memory Leak'

Edit::::: Apologies Ice, I did not see you had quoted the source already

Ice quoted for the record

Well of course Ninelies will lock threads / suspend people on such hot topic threads

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 04/19/18 07:43 PM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4417035 - 04/19/18 09:05 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by leaf_on_the_wind
Ninelies

Ah, I love it. Mind if I use name that from now on?

#4417042 - 04/19/18 09:41 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

feel free buddy

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4417053 - 04/19/18 10:37 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
SO at this point I will close this and we can wait for what ED brings.

I hope he's not holding his breath on that one.

I need to remind everyone about the rules as well:

1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are forbidden. While we allow news and updates to be posted in our Chit Chat section, we do not allow the discussion, reviewing of, or comparison of other software here. Abuse of other companies and/or anyone related to those companies will not be tolerated. ED also reserves the right to remove any thread or post about another game or company it deems doesn't comply with this rule.

So wow! Much snowflake! Enlarge safespace!

ED is worried about their own game and goals, not what others are doing, its hard to compare to others when ED is simulating much larger maps, different types of sensors and terrain quality that is hard to match in any other sim. So discuss those other games on their forums.

Fair enough. ED can't even polish their own game and meet their own goals, why waste time comparing itself to others?

After all, no other sim gives you big maps and simulates different types of sensors. Nope. Nothing at all. No other sim features modern combat aircraft with a slew of different sensors that allows pilots to see targets from miles out. biggrin biggrin biggrin

- Ice
#4417061 - 04/19/18 11:39 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Paradaz]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Originally Posted by Paradaz

You're classing a name change as an official release?

I'll be classing 2.5 as a release when it works, is mildly optimised and when it reflects something worthy of a release. Now is not that time regardless of what those incompetent developers like to label it as.

The initial release of 2.5 for OB and the release of 2.5 for Release branch were different code with different version numbers so no, that is not what I'm saying at all.

#4417062 - 04/19/18 11:43 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
The latest Open Beta version is exactly the same as the 2.5 Release version......same code. There were no fixes, no updates and no optimisation when the ‘milestone’ was reached.

ED clearly don’t know what integration, test, quality control/assurance and release is. They continue to make it up as they go along.

I have no idea why anyone feels the need to defend these incompetent clowns. If they are not embarrassed then they clearly don’t care.

#4417064 - 04/19/18 11:53 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Frederf]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The initial release of 2.5 for OB and the release of 2.5 for Release branch were different code with different version numbers so no, that is not what I'm saying at all.

The initial release of Open Beta 2.5 is a different version but the latest release of Open Beta 2.5 has the same version number as the Release 2.5 so in essence, they just called one thing two different names.

- Ice
#4417092 - 04/20/18 07:52 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

The initial release of Open Beta 2.5 is a different version but the latest release of Open Beta 2.5 has the same version number as the Release 2.5 so in essence, they just called one thing two different names.

Which is perfectly fine. You don't test a version, then fix something and immediately put it on the stable branch. Every stable version needs to spend time as beta test version beforehand. If you change even one single thing, you have to test it again.

Last edited by Sobek; 04/20/18 07:55 AM.
#4417100 - 04/20/18 10:41 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Sobek]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Sobek
Which is perfectly fine. You don't test a version, then fix something and immediately put it on the stable branch. Every stable version needs to spend time as beta test version beforehand. If you change even one single thing, you have to test it again.

You're absolutely right, as long as the 'stable' version has fixes in place and is actually tested......however, ED decided not to fix something and put it on the stable branch when it clearly isn't stable nor optimised. Clearly, ED's version of the 'stable' and 'release' branch is different to every other developer in every corner of planet Earth and integration/test teams around the world.

They may well have just put 2.5 into their definition of a 'release' candidate on the 30th January. Their 'release' versions are still open betas and I can't see how anyone can argue against that.

#4417116 - 04/20/18 11:34 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
thankfully I read this - before I downloaded it all again and ended up with the same problem, only this time with the stable version.

I'll wait for 2.6 now.

#4417164 - 04/20/18 04:55 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

So? That's how it has always worked since forever. That's the right way to do it.

#4417166 - 04/20/18 05:12 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Frederf]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

So? That's how it has always worked since forever. That's the right way to do it.

Of course. My apologies. I've forgotten that ED treats us as both the beta tester and the customer.

Which is perfectly fine. You don't test a version, then fix something and immediately put it on the stable branch. Every stable version needs to spend time as beta test version beforehand.

Except there was no stable branch, there was only open beta.

If you change even one single thing, you have to test it again.

Where was this logic when you were trying to make excuses as to how the memory leak issue slipped in?

- Ice
#4417177 - 04/20/18 05:47 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Okay, someone explain this to me:

Source
Version 2.5.1 for DCS World is currently in external testing and includes the new Offline Mode and improved memory management as its primary features. Now that it has been built, our valued 3rd parties are updating their aircraft to operating in version 2.5.1. Once this is complete, we will first move this version to the DCS World 2.5.1 Open Beta branch.

Until we can release 2.5.1 with improved memory management, we suggest looking at your System Options in DCS World. One setting that has been found to help out considerably is the Preload Radius setting, cutting that value in half can make a huge difference in load times for multiplayer servers, we suggest tweaking this setting and find what works best for you.

So ED really did not know the state of their product when they released it? They didn't know about the memory leak... which is now not a memory leak... but they're now working on improving memory management! What systems were used in testing the build before releasing it to the wild? 256GB RAM and quad-SLI 1080Tis?

Another sign that ED does not know it's own product is that their first act was to change the system requirements to cover up their mistake, then Sith comes out with a statement about removing un-needed units (read: make the environment more sterile!) and asking people to upgrade their "old" setups with 8GB RAM, and now ED is talking about Preload Radius setting. It's like ED's discovering their own product at the same time as the customers are!!

Also, I guess ED is admitting to their product being an un-optimized mess if they have to work on improving memory management smile

Version 2.5.1 for DCS World is currently in external testing and includes the new Offline Mode and improved memory management as its primary features. Now that it has been built, our valued 3rd parties are updating their aircraft to operating in version 2.5.1. Once this is complete, we will first move this version to the DCS World 2.5.1 Open Beta branch.

So external testing is different from Open Beta. Who is doing external testing then? If it's ED's testers, won't it be called INTERNAL testing?

Someone please explain this flow to me as well:
> 2.5.1 is released for testing
> 3rd party updates their aircraft to 2.5.1
> 2.5.1 is released to Open Beta

Why are they asking 3rd party to do work for every step of DCS version? Why even ask 3rd party devs to adjust their module for a build that isn't even final yet? Why not go for a stable version, then ask 3rd party devs to update their product? Seems like asking other people to do more work that they'll have to re-do again later.

- Ice
#4417189 - 04/20/18 07:29 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Because if they release 2.5.1 and anyone's favourite module doesn't work at first try, not only you will jump at their throat ?

#4417191 - 04/20/18 08:06 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Mokkeri Offline
Mokkeri  Offline

Could anyone enlighten me and explain what memory leak is and how can I verify it on my computer.

#4417237 - 04/21/18 06:04 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

"I've forgotten that ED treats us as both the beta tester and the customer."
ED does not do enough to separate voluntary testing practices with released product. They actively market the testing phase as "it's out (tm)." which they absolutely should not do. I was very disappointed to see their 2.5 DOWNLOAD NOW! plastered across their home page during 2.5's testing phase. I think voluntary testing branches are a great idea but they need to be clearly expressed that way.

"Except there was no stable branch, there was only open beta." What we call the branch that isn't OA or OB is stable branch or release branch or main or whatever is the official name always exists. The code that was showcased by OB was then deemed worthy of being the Release product which is why OB and Release matched versions.

I think the development cycle is internal, then a closed beta from hand-picked folks, then public beta on the dedicated branch, and then release branch.

What I think should happen with module devs is to see the new code coming in OB and get ready for it. Devs keep multiple copies of their product around. You'd probably stop developing relative to Release code since you know referencing OB code is going to come home to roost soon enough. That may be hard if OB is a moving target or the new code is a radical departure like it is now with deferred shading but those should be rare.

Traditionally a memory leak is an opened ended process that takes more memory without limit. DCS has some issue which takes a large chunk of memory but it doesn't increase without limit. It's not so much a leak (ongoing process) but the opposite of an optimization. That's how I understand it anyway. It doesn't matter practically if you have less than the required memory for a finite resource requirement or an ever-increasing resource requirement, too little is too little. I play DCS just fine with 16GB and someone I know struggles with 8. A recent log showed peaks around 12GB in one play session but today I hit all I had and had to restart. The tip to halve the preload radius makes a sharp difference in memory needed.

#4417241 - 04/21/18 07:11 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
The main problem with the release management from ED is three-fold;

1) The test team are poor at their jobs (or ED do not listen/acknowledge the problems raised)
There is no way on earth that the problems we see/find should get through to the public......missing buildings and memory issues are prime examples of this.

2) ED do not have any release strategy
It’s all fine and well stating that bugs/fixes are put in place and tested before moving to a stable version, but ED aren’t doing this......they are moving version numbers and trying to call a baseline is in place without actually trying to fix glaring problems. 2.5 should be a major milestone build.....only superseded by v2.6 or v3. The fact they have just skimmed over the cracks and seem to think they are now working on 2.5.1 without putting the fixes and optimisations in place tells it’s own story and is the reason this entire product will never ever leave beta status. Apart from the obvious problems in 2.5, those using VR have an almost completely broken product now, many of the major changes within 2.5 are not functioning correctly at all when using Rift/Vive.

3) ED do not have a clue what an alpha/beta/release candidate actually is......or they do, but choose to implement a completely different definition to these categories than any other software developer.
Little needs to be said here, it appears that because of having no strategy as defined above, ED just make it up as they go along. It’s also obviously apparent that they have no road-map or if they do it’s ignored hence the lack of control and management of the products. The last minute changes and moving of goal-posts (the latest being to ask the community what WWII platform they should look at at next, probably because they’re having big problems with current scope and will be beat to the punch by IL2 BoX - highlighted by Johnny_Redd in another thread). That clearly doesn’t feature in their development timeline.

The problem here is that the new products are driving the changes to the software versions. By that I mean ED just down tools on the major baselines because concurrent work takes priority. The 2.5 seems to be a good example of this......what are the odds that ED just moved the version numbers and catapulted 2.5 into the category of the ‘stable’ build because the new terrain is close to completion and that’s where it needs to be positioned, along with the preparation for the Hornet with its partial functionality and major sensors and interfaces missing......so ED think they can just move version numbers around and fix the problems of a major software version in incremental builds. What should be happening is that the fixes should be applied to a baseline build BEFORE the milestone version is reached and subsequently released. What we are seeing at the moment shouldn’t even have the 2.5 moniker.

Incompetence continues.

Page 26 of 31 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 30 31

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.