Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4416369 - 04/15/18 12:22 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
So where do I find these materials brokers?

Originally Posted by DBond

How can I search by filtering what types of materials these traders deal in before casting my lines?

Here is the answer

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4416373 - 04/15/18 01:17 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I want to get that engineering mod that reinforces the bulkheads for no mass penalty. Selene Jean I think is the engineer's name. One of the unlock requirements is to mine 500 tons of stuffz. I thought, well I have a Python. What better ship? So I installed prospector and collector limpets, mining lasers and refinery. I set off to a nearby system with common metal rich belts. I started shooting rocks and found out I forgot to add limpets to the limpet controller. No matter, I'll just scoop up the bits with this sluggish handling ship. I spent about an hour collecting a little of everything. I only got enough of anything to refine a single ton of Cobalt. And I didn't enjoy it. Mining is not for me. Is there another engineer who does armor? None that I've learned of yet. I would hold it as a badge of honor to forever have my stats show that one ton as the sum total of my career mining efforts smile

As a hedge, I've moved my Python to a system with Pristine Metallic reserves, but I'm in no hurry to resume. A little practice, the better location and some limpets will ease the pain, and the mining lasers look cool. But I would be fine if I didn't mine again.

But I want that mod.

Turns out Liz can do grade 1, but I need Selene Jean for the rest

#4416479 - 04/16/18 11:45 AM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I went and got the Sensor Fragments for Professor Palin. It wasn't difficult, once I had planetary coordinates to a crash site. I saw nothing in the game that would have led me to it. Without internet forums to find this info I doubt I would have on my own. With the long and lat though it was easy, and I now have G5 thrusters biggrin The Vulture is more whirlybird than eva.

As for gathering mats. Satellites are a really good spot. I find these orbiting populated earth-likes (city lights on dark side). Look for Encoded Emission USS. A quick scan often drops some of the better encoded mats. No risk, easy reward.

And as mentioned, always be scanning any ship, just the ones you are following through the slot can drop data mats.

[Linked Image]

This is the haul from a high grade emissions USS. As I mentioned, even if you don't need this for any of the mods you are using, it can be used for trading. These six composites could be traded down in to over one hundred lesser grade mats.

[Linked Image]

There is a small chance that a pirate or two may drop in to the USS while you're in there, so keep alert. Not much trouble to high-wake out if you aren't ready to offer battle.

Attached Files satellite.jpghguss.jpg

#4416507 - 04/16/18 03:24 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Mr Blastman had asked if he could get this stuffz without having to do things like scan wakes. You can yes, as we've said. But it doesn't get much easier.

If you have a utility slot to spare, throw a wake scanner on. They all weigh the same, but some scan farther than others. Any of them will do.

Assign it to it's own fire group, or put it alongside something that doesn't shoot, like an ADS.

Anytime you depart or arrive at a station take a minute to look at your contacts. There are always a few high wakes to scan. Fly within range and scan it, takes like 10 seconds. Not all will drop data, but most do, and some more than one. They also expire, so you gotta be fairly quick. Wake scanners require the hardpoints to be deployed, so a little power juggling could be required if your ship was already on the edge.

All of my ships sport one, unless it's for a long exploration trip. I've set up my Courier for exactly this role. Fast, nimble ships are best, but any will do. You may look at your contacts and see the high wake is 10 km away. And since they can expire you want to zip over there quickly.

In a 600+ m/s Courier it's a boost, wait 3 seconds and slam on the brakes haha.

One of the easiest ways is to simply lock and follow the ship that's heading out of the slot ahead of you. Follow him and let him jump first. Scan his wake and continue on your way. Easy mats.

#4416811 - 04/18/18 11:56 AM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I unlocked two more engineers yesterday, the Dweller and Lei Cheung, who does G5 shields which is nice.

You need the Dweller to introduce you to Cheung. I short-tracked this process with another scheme. To unlock The Dweller you need to have done business with 5 black markets and pay 500k credits. I had not done any black market business. So I took a mission to deliver 10 domestic appliances. I immediately abandoned the mission, failing it and incurring a fine of 5,000 credits. That left me holding 10 stolen domestic appliances. I then flew to three different systems (two had multiple black markets), selling two domestic appliances at each to meet the requirement.

I had stripped down the Asp and had her running cool. I ran at high speed through the slots and was not scanned or even interdicted through the whole thing, which took less than 45 minutes to complete. I now have engineered lasers and G5 shields (amongst other whizbang stuff).

#4417111 - 04/20/18 11:18 AM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Here's an example of a simple supercruise scan netting two data mats (blue 'Collected' in Info panel). I use the term 'drop' but there is nothing to pick up. These are simply downloaded and collected automatically. All ya gotta do is initiate the scan. Usually, when you're inbound to a station, there will be a number of ships flying ahead of you, flying in and out of the station, and it's a simple matter to lock them up and let the scan go. The majority of scans will net no mats, at least for me. But some will, and it doesn't get any easier really.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files datadrops.jpg

#4422411 - 05/24/18 12:08 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Do NPCs use engineers?

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4422415 - 05/24/18 12:28 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, it's my understanding Deadly and Elite NPCs can have engineered modules, but as far as I know they never have engineered weapons.

#4422419 - 05/24/18 12:38 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Thanks.Well at least they don't get the weapons,that's something.

Tonight I will be collecting 'things' to make my 'things' better biggrin

I've watched an engineering video and I think I understand it. Prepare for incoming questions about 'things'.

Last edited by Chucky; 05/24/18 12:39 PM.

#4422422 - 05/24/18 12:44 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes sir!

As I mentioned in another thread, getting the meta-alloy is one of the first things you should do. It will all start to fall in to place after that.

As you know I like discussing this stuff so looking forward to it thumbsup

#4422466 - 05/24/18 05:28 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Just quickly, I believe I need to scan high-grade USS to get some mats,what about the low-grade ones? What else is worth scanning? Also,do I need to scan ships and wakes to get other stuff?

#4422468 - 05/24/18 05:52 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Here's what I recommend

--Scan wakes. Like religiously. It's easy, and they are right outside the station. For me a no-brainer. Use what you get here to trade at a mat trader to get what you need. Datamined Wake Exceptions for the win Alex! (Encrypted Materials)

-- Load up the SRV and go prospecting from time to time. Use what you gather to trade for what you need. (Raw Materials)

-- Investigate every HGE USS and scoop up what's there. Again, turn this in to what you need at a mat trader. I also really like Combat Aftermath and Encoded Emissions USSs. (Manufactured Materials)

--Scan all ships in combat, supercruise and normal flight for encrypted mats, and if you destroy a ship it will leave some manufactured mats behind that can be scooped up.

This is what I recommend for everyday sort of play. This is not targeted farming. When you need a certain type of thing you will only find them under specific conditions

For the USSs you don't scan them per se, you scoop or limpet the mats found floating in there. Encoded USS will have one scan item for encrypted mats like a personal data beacon, and a few manufactured mats to be scooped up. HGE is best because it's all grade 5 mats. These are useful in themselves, but especially useful to trade down for lesser grades. You will note that there is a bonus if you stay within the same category when trading mats.

Use this page to find material traders near you. After getting some mats, you can go trade them here for what you need, at a cost.

https://inara.cz/galaxy-nearest/25/9163/

#4422475 - 05/24/18 06:20 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Another tip is to look for higher grades than in the same category what you actually need. For example Arsenic will be one that you will need a lot. Finding Arsenic is great. It is a grade 2 material. Polonium is in the same category and grade 4. If you find one Polonium ore it becomes 3 fragments in your inventory. Each fragment can be traded for 27 Arsenic. So prospecting a single Polonium rock could net you 81 Arsenic if you traded it all.

One of the things I look for in my home system is variety of raw materials on the planets in that system. I've moved back to Dvorsi which has 35 landable planets. And all raw materials appear to be present on at least one of these planets. I took my Keelback out just last night to hunt Polonium. It is rare, and I only got 2 (6). But that can become a heck of a lot of Arsenic smile

Last edited by DBond; 05/24/18 06:32 PM.

#4422518 - 05/24/18 09:53 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I just figured out how to do Engineers. I'm no longer going to run Horizons when I start Elite.

Don't get me wrong,I really,really appreciate all the help you guys give me (especially DBond) but no,just no. This looks like a massive,massive run-around and grind-fest that I don't want to continue with.

I'm going to switch to my other account for a while and start over.It'll be good to fire up that old Sidewinder again smile

Last edited by Chucky; 05/24/18 09:54 PM.

#4422595 - 05/25/18 12:32 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Can I haz your stuffz? biggrin

#4422615 - 05/25/18 02:23 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
It's quite enjoyable going back to the beginning,although I had to ditch the Sidey pretty quick. 4 cargo is a little limiting if you have a D/C fitted.

I've decided to play this time in open and hopefully role-play with the humans,but I expect I'll just get ganked and bent over biggrin

Yeah you can haz my stuffz. Just go to Jameson Memorial,tell them Greengold sent you. The T-9 is parked around the back,the keys are behind the sun visor smile

Last edited by Chucky; 05/25/18 02:24 PM.

#4422623 - 05/25/18 03:04 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You are flying in Open in an unengineered, err, what ship?

That will be fun biggrin

Thanks for your stuff.

#4422637 - 05/25/18 04:21 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh and I'll just sell your T-9. Sold mine last night and doubt I'll buy another one of those pigs again. Just not the ship for me. It's too not fast for me biggrin

#4473510 - 05/09/19 02:28 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
With many of my engineered modules at G4 and change, I decided last night I was going to dedicate my valuable gaming time to hunting down those elusive G5 manufactured mats. I am in desperate need of Pharmaceutical Isolators, Proto Radiolic Alloys, and especially Proto Heat Radiators to finish the beams on my uberCourier.

But how do you go about this in today's Elite?

My method was to use EDDB to search for high-pop, high tech systems. Once I drop, I drop again in to the nav beacon and scan it. This reveals everything in the system including any High Grade Emissions USSs, which is where we find the G5 mats. Otherwise the FSS will pick them up (as unidentified) but only to a radius of 1000 ls. So this way is a lot better, and allows you to go straight for the HGEs skipping all the others.

Each USS has a timer on it, and some are very far from the star, so I didn't get everyone I came across. But it worked very well on one hand, not so well on the other. What I mean is I found a lot of HGEs, but got exactly zero of what I had been looking for. Lots of trade bait in my holds now, but I'd rather just find the above listed specific mats.

In all I visited about 10 systems. Only two of these contained no HGEs, An 80% hit rate is fantastic though. I filtered by pop, the smallest one I went to was around 45m, the largest 107m, though most were around 90m.

As I am based in the heart of Empire territory, I found way too many Imperial Shielding. I started with 11 onboard, and before too long I had 98. With that full, I added Federation to the search and now was finding lots of Core Dynamics Composites and Military Grade Alloys. Useful (especially for trading) but not what I was looking for. I learned on the FDev boards that what I should be looking for are Independent systems to find these mats. So I was searching the wrong systems. I will try that tonight. After tonight I expect to have a boatload of G5 manufactured mats and can then go on to finish a few modules (and even ships) that have been nearly-so for far too long.

#4473520 - 05/09/19 03:38 PM Re: Using Engineers / Modding Modules [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
About a month or so ago, I was scoring Pharma Iso’s at Bunda when it was in anarchy and had a CNB. Can’t remember if it was in outbreak too. Anecdotal, I know. The “scavenger” link I sent you should still be correct as to the types of systems you need for each mat.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.