Up into the night sky they blast
Through the universe the engines whine
Could it be the end of man and time?

Past the stars in fields of ancient void
Through the shields of darkness where they find
Love upon a land a world unknown
Where the sons of freedom make their home

-- Black Sabbath, In to the Void, Master of Reality 1971

Exploration, the action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area in order to learn about it. Sounds like fun right? We are about to find out. A few of my ships have been engineered with Dirty Drives, which is a thruster modification that increases performance. But we've gone as far as our accessible engineers can take us. There is, however, one engineer, by the name of Palin, who can take these drives farther. He has the know-how to get the most out of the modification. But he won't work with just any old Commander. He must believe you have what it takes. One must prove oneself worthy to get the coveted invitation.

in his insanity wisdom he will only work with those intrepid Commanders who have the temerity to have traveled at least 5000 light years from their starting systems. Do this, and the elusive invitation and fully engineered Dirty Drives are yours (if you have sensor fragments, which I don't. Maybe I'll find some). But first, a little perspective. I began playing Elite last May. I took a long break before getting back in to it a month ago. I've played for several hundred hours. In all that time, and with thousands of jumps and space miles behind me, I've never ventured more than 518 light years! Five Eight Teen.

Needless to say, a five thousand light year trip is a magnitude or two beyond anything I've attempted to do so far. As daunting as it feels, it's really bush-league stuff, some Commanders have flown far in excess of 5000 light years. Some are gone for years. Some I suppose, never return. Returning home is certainly my plan. But one never knows.

This thread will chronicle this journey. For better or worse, for success or failure. Come along with me as I leap in to the void and earn my spurs as an explorer. What could possibly go wrong? biggrin

The Ship

Aside from the vast empty space between my ears, the most important cog in this trip machine is my ship. It will be my home, my transportation, my safety and my only companion as we hurtle through the far reaches of the galaxy. Yesterday I formulated a vision of how i wanted to outfit the ship. I then spent hours making it so. I will detail those steps shortly. The ship chosen for this awe-inspiring undertaking is the venerable Lakon Asp Explorer, henceforth referred to as Asp X. It is an '03 model, named Dawnbreaker. The Asp X is ideally suited to a expedition such as this. It has wonderful cockpit visibility to take in all of the breathtaking and panic-inducing sights. The jump range is fantastic, it's most impressive feature. It also sports a nice variety of internal space, to fit the various bits and bobs I want to take along. I have to go 5000 light years, yes. But this trip is as much about the journey as the destination, and along the way I plan to explore. To chart the unknown for humanity. To boldly go where no one on my solo account has gone before. To this end, the ship will be outfitted for the collection of data, and for safety. No compromises. I must survive to return and sell all that exploration data for huge space ducats! I'll be filthy rich advance mankind's comprehension of that which surrounds us.

To make the ship as I envisioned, it required some extensive engineering. It was already fairly well along, but for this trip I needed less of a bubble-runner, and more of a deep diver. The dockyard itinerary included work on thrusters, power plant, surface scanner and shields. The Frame Shift Drive (FSD), or the doo-dad that allows you to hyperspace jump, was already fully baked.

To facilitate this list of improvements, I needed some stuffz. I sat down with Inara and wrote down a list of all required components for the desired modifications. I then cross-checked the list with what I already had on hand in inventory. With the resulting short-list I plotted courses for each type of material trader and got what was needed. Satisfied that all preparations were in order, I set course for Farseer Inc to re-engineer the ship.

One of the changes I planned was to reduce power plant class in order to save weight and increase performance and jump range. So along the way I stopped and bought a 4A and replaced the 5A (G2 Overcharged, Stripped), which will go in to storage. The deep diver build will use far less power, and may as well save the weight.

Core Internals

[Linked Image]

The new Power Plant got G1 Overcharged with the Stripped experimental. That only saves a half ton, but it all adds up. Thrusters are 5A, G3 Clean Drives. Many commanders will save weight here and go 5D. But I want performance. I want speed to evade and react. I want the instantaneous ability to react to dangers. I want control in high-G environments. I could have gained a couple light years jump range, but it was never a question. Dawnbreaker is a one agile, mobile and hostile Asp. And I hope it can save my virtual life.

The FSD is G5 Long Range with Mass Manager experimental. With a few more D-rated modules I could have gotten JR over 50. But I'm happy enough with what I've got.

[Linked Image]

Life Support, 4A. No compromises, right? Again, many will go 4D here, save weight and jump further. I want the extra time. Out in the dark, I'm not expecting it will allow me to reach a station. But it will give me time to calm down, and think of a course of action, to carry it out, without the increasing weight of fleeting time. Sensors are 5D, G3 lightweight. Fuel tank is standard 32 ton.

Optional Internals

[Linked Image]

The fuel scoop, or the thing that will allow me to make it back, is 6C. I refuse to buy a 6A, as it costs as much as my entire ship. 6C is fine. Shields are 5D, G3 Reinforced. I tried various models, and this one is the best combination of weight and protection. Some commanders go shieldless, but that's madness. I need the protection from my own carelessness and stupidity. Have you ever landed on a 9-G planet? Neither have I. I need shields. 208mj is barely adequate, but will have to do. I stored the shield boosters to save the weight and power.

Two Auto Field Maintenance Units (AFMU) have been installed. For whatever reason they have no mass, so cost no jump range. I installed two, because an AFMU cannot repair itself. So this is redundancy. Must. Return. I've never used one actually, but they sure do make me feel better.

SRV hangar with Scarab is a given. I might need materials for repairs or synthesis. I may just want to have a bash about on an interesting looking planet. I may see something that demands closer inspection, such as ruins or crash sites. A two-bay hangar would be preferable, but it's an Asp X after all.

It has an Advanced Discovery Scanner of course (not shown) and a Detailed Surface Scanner with G3 Long Range modification. I believe this modification will save ooodles of time when I am charting system after system.

Weapons. I debated amongst myself whether I would strip the weapons. But no. This I cannot do. What if I want to shoot something? No, the weapons stay. As a compromise I did remove the outer set of pulse lasers. That leaves the chin gimballed pulse lasers (non engineered), and the two cockpit-side class 2 multi-cannons, both G5 lightweight, which dropped them from 4 tons a piece to half a ton per gun. One got auto-loader, but I ran out of mats for the other.

Utility slots are two heatsink launchers because I've read those can come in handy out in the black. Two slots are empty.

So that's the ship that will carry me in to the Void, and back again. Or such is the plan.

The Destination

I've chosen the Jellyfish Nebula, which is exactly 5000 light years away. I never see anyone mention this one, so I'm hoping it may be considered an exploration backwater and allow me to get a first discovery somewhere. We shall see.

[Linked Image]

Oh, look! Extraction economy. I can fly back a load of bauxite or something. Gotta maximize the credits per light year biggrin

Last edited by DBond; 04/18/18 05:36 PM.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4416831 - 04/18/18 02:51 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Mission Update.

Lines were cast at 1700 hours, April 8, 3304 from Fowler Orbital in the Dvorsi system. First 1000 light year leg has been plotted, 24 jumps.

[And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--

Skip a bit brother
]

The mission is off to a fine start. The first 1000 light years are behind me. Having a ship like this that can make such long leaps sure gobbles up the space miles. After 10 hops I had already beaten my previous max distance from game start. All has gone smoothly, no emergencies. And I think I may have chosen a good direction. After I passed 900 light years I began to find un-tagged planets. I won't know for certain if I will get credit until the data is sold. But many planets I've scanned had no commander's name on them. So unless I die, or someone is already on the way back with this data, then it looks like I may get a large number of first discoveries. We shall see.

I believe the red nebula seen at the top of the screen is my destination. It's like a light in the distance, calling me to it.

[Linked Image]

The first earth-like world in this journey

[Linked Image]

The first leg of 1000 light years through the galaxy

[Linked Image]

A terraformable water world. Beautiful. These are the planets we want to find!

[Linked Image]

I believe this hunk of space ice will prove to be Commander Sinisalo's first first-discovery. We shall see, if we live to see it through.

[Linked Image]

#4416833 - 04/18/18 02:55 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So far, the expedition has been a success. The first 3,500 light years are in the books. I knew that only like .03% of the Elite systems have been discovered, but I guess I thought it would be more difficult, or at least farther away, that I would begin to find un-tagged bodies. As mentioned though, once I crossed about 900 light years I began finding them. A lot of them. I've scanned dozens of stars and planets without tags. Entire systems will have my name attached. I am the only human to have seen some of these places, and that's pretty cool. All has gone well, and I suppose i had envisioned certain crises to arise, or Thargoids attacking me, or a neutron star sucking me in to nothingness. But it's been rather routine. Dawnbreaker has taken no damage of any sort.

I did choose in the end to replace one of the AFMUs with a cargo rack, but so far I've found nothing that I'd want to take all the way home. I've needed no synthesis, as no troubles have arisen. But I did bring the Scarab all this way, so I made one landing just to break up the routine at about the 3.200 light year mark. A few USSs have been encountered, but they usually have a single piece of salvage that I ignore. At the outset I had filtered the route by removing Y and T class stars. I reasoned that going with just KGB FOAM would perhaps synch my route with those who have traveled here before me, By including non-optimal stars I might find virgin systems. That sure seemed to work, but around 3,000 I took out M class as well. I was finding un-tagged systems yes, but fewer and fewer water worlds, ammonia worlds and ELWs. I'm finding those again, but most have been tagged. In the end it's a matter of money versus first-discovery. I will have plenty of both I think when it's all said and done.

The first entire system I found that no one else has seen.

[Linked Image]

Three suns

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe she's not so photogeneic, but she sure is a fine ship. Here, taking a well deserved break.

[Linked Image]

#4416834 - 04/18/18 02:56 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Mission Update 0400 Hours, 10 April 3304

[Linked Image]

Have arrived at the Jellyfish Nebula, and what an amazing and cool journey it's been! Very glad to have done this. As mentioned earlier, I know this is Elite exploration minor leagues, but to me it feels epic smile

Everything has gone smoothly. Navigation, exploration, hyperspace, everything, without a hitch. As we neared the Nebula it continued to grow larger and once inside, it was strikingly beautiful. Along the way I explored and charted system after system. It's lonely out in space and for a while I had galnet on loop. Much of what I flew through was uncharted, which is really cool when you think about it, and was one of the things that drew me to the game. I wanted a first discovery credit, and got way more than I could have imagined. As I proved, it's not hard to do. Just pick a direction and go.

It's difficult to say how much time the long-range modification to the DSS has saved. Stats say +120%. Does that mean an extra 20%, or double plus some? I guess it's the latter. Regardless, I'm sure it's saved time, even if it is a little heavier. Here I am scanning stars at 12,000 ls, and I've done so out to 18,000 earlier in the mission.

[Linked Image]

This five star system is all mine.

[Linked Image]

The last 1500 light years saw an increasing number of systems that had already been mapped out by earlier expeditions. The Nebula is a destination, and routes converge. I scanned regardless, though there was also much I left untouched. I was very happy to have posted the screenshot earlier of my destination at the Jellyfish nebula. I could not locate the populated system in the galaxy map as I approached it in the mission. If not for that original plot I may not have realized there were people here at all. And with the name displayed in that screenshot I was able to punch it in and get a course.

The Jellyfish nebula with just a couple hops to go. Almost there!

[Linked Image]

Off to the left is one star I can guarantee remains unscanned.

[Linked Image]

A couple shots of the Nebula, It's even more beautiful in motion.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Arriving in the system I saw no stations, planetary or otherwise. Where do these people live? Population is just 1500 according to that plot shot, but they must have a base somewhere. As it turns out they do indeed. Inside a rock!

It's a Beta Site, and is a station carved out of a big asteroid, complete with mail slot and all. Extraordinary, I say smile

#4416835 - 04/18/18 02:57 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Beta Site on the system map

[Linked Image]

Final approach to the station. It's fantastic to see this after thousands of light years of solitude.

[Linked Image]

I flew a complete circuit around this looking for a landing pad.

[Linked Image]

It was slow to dawn on me that they had hollowed out the asteroid. OK, now it looks familiar. D'oh!

[Linked Image]

No frills around this joint.

[Linked Image]

I was happy to see they had Cartographics here, as I was eager to see how much data I had collected. So far it's about 20 million (not including first discovery bonus I reckon). I turned in just one, to ensure I got my first discovery. The rest I want to bring back, since it will serve me better in the bubble spreading rep around. But should I die a grisly death on the way back, at least I have one (or four, as the case may be)

[Linked Image]

#4416836 - 04/18/18 02:59 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Mission Update, sometime later.....

On the way to the Fine Ring I was diverging from the basic corridor I had flown on the outbound legs of this expedition. Had come back about 2,500 light years when a new 1000-LY leg plot was required. But I ran in to an issue with a huge swath of space closed off due to an unknown permit being required. I would need to plot a way around, but with the 1000 light year limit, I was unable to plot a path that I was certain could circumvent the permit-closed space. So I've decided to make for home. Frankly, I'm a bit worn out. I haven't just gone quickly from A to B, but made sure to explore, and I'm ready for something different. On the return trip I've found uncharted system after uncharted system I have about 2,500 light years left until I am back in civilization.

Some images from this expedition

This is a fairly hot high metal content world. Usually these are not landable, but this one was, and to break up the routine I set Dawnbreaker down and had a bash in the SRV.

[Linked Image]

Looking for a suitable location to set her down

[Linked Image]

Scanning for stuffz. The scanner is indicating something off to 10 o'clock.

[Linked Image]

The Asp X from her good side smile

[Linked Image]

I have tried hard to chart virgin systems, and oftentimes that means a fairly long supercruise flight to outlying bodies. Here, Dawnbreaker gets a chance to spread her wings a bit and open it up. She would hit about 750c before the slowdown.

[Linked Image]

10-ball in the corner pocket

[Linked Image]

An interesting system. And very hot!

[Linked Image]

The holy grail of Elite exploration. This system had four water worlds, three of which are terraformable! Some other bastage got here first smile

[Linked Image]

#4416837 - 04/18/18 02:59 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Mission Update 0503 Hours, 12 April 3304

We have returned from the Void.What a cool trip it's been, but I'm glad to have finished. I don't know how folks can go to Colonia, Beagle Point or Sag A and back. Maybe I'll find out one day. As it was, this trip was testing my endurance by the end. In every respect though it must be considered a rousing success. I took no damage, completed the required distance, raised my Exploration rank, got tons of first discoveries, saw lots of cool stuff and made some serious bank.

On the way back, about 2,500 light years from home, I had an idea. The primary reason I went on this expedition was to cross the 5000 light year circle to unlock the invitation for Professor Palin. In order to get that invitation though, you also need to get good relations with another engineer, Marco Qwent. In order to get that, you need an invitation from him, which in turn requires Allied reputation with the Sirius Corporation to gain the permit needed to get to Marco. Yeah.

So I decided to make landfall at Sothis, where Sirius Corp is the controlling faction. Re-plotted the course and flew there. It took about 6 million in exploration data to get them Allied. I then flew to Sol, where I used the exploration data to get Allied with Mother Gaia, and then on to Achenar, to reach an alliance there as well. It was late at night at this point, and I wanted to clear all this data, and get my first discoveries, and not sleep on them, maybe allowing some sneaky, underhanded commander to turn in the same data while I snoozed the night away. I could have spread it around a bit more to better effect, but I'll get more.

Using exploration data for the Sirius Corp alliance saved me a whole bunch of data delivery missions, that's for sure.

A few more shots from the trip, and then I'll get in to figures.

In screenshots, in space, it's difficult to impress scale upon the viewer. I took this shot with the three suns. The binaries are about normal sized stars, maybe a little smaller than average. But look at how they are dwarfed by the C class star. It is MASSIVE! Coming out of the jump I was set back in my seat by the sheer scale of it. It took me by surprise, after hundreds of jumps to 'normal' stars. Awesome!

[Linked Image]

This single data cache is the only thing I picked up during the trip, aside from mats. I found lots of these, large and small. They are in USSs where an exploration vessel had met it's end. I left them because they have weight and it would compromise jump range, and they aren't very valuable. But here I am scooping one up. This shot also highlights the Asp X's fantastic visibility.

[Linked Image]

Upon entering the Sothis system I came across this megaship, a Freedom class survey vessel. Cool ship. Maybe I can become Captain of such a ship when I retire from the rat race smile

[Linked Image]

Civilization. At long last, back in the warm embrace of populated space.

[Linked Image]

In all I gained 40 million in exploration data and first discovery bonuses. Here are the most valuable systems. The highest value system indeed turned out to be the one I called the Holy Grail in a previous post. That's a poor choice of terms. Surely there are far more valuable systems out there. I saw no neutron stars, black holes, white dwarves or any oddities really. Still, it's worth some good coin, and nearly doubled my previous best system, and didn't even get a first discovery bonus. Damn you Commander Jinlong! Damn you! smile

[Linked Image]

The exploration stats after selling all of the data. 40 million profit, and exploration rank went from 72% Pathfinder to 41% Ranger. Still, a very long way to hit Elite!

[Linked Image]

The stats

Credits Earned : 40,000,489
New Systems Visitied: 262
Scans (all level 3): 803
Distance Traveled: 11,667 light years
Jumps: 268 (Average 43.5 LY per jump)

By my count I got 309 first discoveries! Wow! Awesome sauce.

Thanks for watching. That was good fun, and useful to boot.

#4416847 - 04/18/18 04:09 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Epic stuff, really nicely captured. I have Elite Dangerous on my HD, but last played a couple years ago, seems to have got more depth now. I stopped because I kept getting jumped by bandidos and kilt and start over and kilt again and gave up.

[Linked Image]
#4416855 - 04/18/18 05:18 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks, and yes much has changed and been added. There was the recent 3.0 update, plus the whole Horizons thing that may post-date your hiatus.

If you get in to it again and want some advice on not getting kilt just let me know smile

The expedition felt epic to me as well, but really it's minor league stuff in the Elite universe. But it gave me a taste of it and I will return the Black at some point. In the mean time I run an Interstellar Transportation Company taking tourists to the most beautiful locales in Elite.

#4416936 - 04/19/18 09:06 AM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Great AAR, thanks a bunch !

I'm fully bored with data transportation and intend to get my fun dose out of bounty hunting, but my first try was not so successful, it's nice to see there are other ways of enjoying the game if I don't succeed in bellicism.

May you explain how you got these HUD colors ? Ain't too fond of standard orange.

#4416945 - 04/19/18 11:19 AM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha, no one is fond of the orange. Yes, of course, I used this tool

http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

In my case I was unable to paste the results and have it format properly, so I manually edited the file with the result in notepad. Keep in mind all HUD colors will change, for example things that are red now will not be when you change the scheme, and that can take some getting used to.

This AAR is about exploration, but most of my Elite time is spent either bounty hunting or running transportation and sightseeing missions.

#4416948 - 04/19/18 11:23 AM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Thanks a lot cheers

#4416993 - 04/19/18 03:48 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You're welcome, happy to help. Originally I was going to go for a deeper blue like some of the guys in the Elite Dangerous forum here are using. But I fooled around with it a bit and liked the one shown here. It's a little too bright in the menus for me, but I've gotten used to it. It looks freakin' fantastic in the Imperial Courier, as it dovetails with the whole Gutamaya vibe.

[Linked Image]

#4417034 - 04/19/18 09:04 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Yup,that mint green is what I'll aim for smile

#4417044 - 04/19/18 09:56 PM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, if that's what you want, just plug in these values

Code
                         <MatrixRed>		0, 1, 0.66 </MatrixRed>
			<MatrixGreen>	0, 0.52, 0.93 </MatrixGreen>
			<MatrixBlue>	0, 0, 1 </MatrixBlue>

That will reproduce the HUD colors in this AAR

Watch the formatting, even using code tags it's not right, I would just replace the values, not try to copy/paste.

This is under GUIColour of the GraphicsConfiguration.xml file

#4417081 - 04/20/18 03:03 AM Re: [Elite Dangerous] In to the Void [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
I'll give it a go when I get back home, thanks a lot thumbsup

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.