Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 557 of 608 1 2 555 556 557 558 559 607 608
#4416025 - 04/12/18 03:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A sunny day again today. At 11:00 Am the temp was 60°F. There may be a few clouds rolling in but tomorrow is predicted to be a sunny, cloudless day with temps approaching the low 80's F. The weekend is promised to be fair and warm.

Fittop:
That is good news. The big update may arrive any time. Some of my settings seem to have been changed. Why M$ thought I'd prefer my computer to hibernate rather than shutdown when I click on the power button I have no idea. Maybe they have a bear on the payroll?

MG:

I agree regarding the shameful lack of knowledge Zuck claimed. I agree about shareholders right to demand explanations. But come on man. As to whether they will wish to kick out the Whiz Kid who made them all rich...I dunno. Of course he knew what was going on. He risked it to get richer and pay dividends to his stockholders, knowing full well one day he would likely get caught and just slapped on the hand again.

The 27 year old CEO owns 28.2% of Facebook's B shares. Using an $85 billion valuation, Zuck's stake is worth just shy of $24 billion. He can't be working just for his paycheck. He won't go quietly. And as it is with leaders of state, before you "depose" someone you must strongly consider who is likely to take his or her place. Zuck will be hurt if the price of FB stock drops into the basement. FB won't go away. There are die hard users that will never leave no matter what.

Being popular on Facebook
is like sitting at the "cool" table
in the cafeteria
AT A MENTAL HOSPITAL

I want to make my name on Facebook
"NOBODY"
So when I see someone post something... stupid
I can like it and it will say:
"NOBODY LIKED THIS"

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4416148 - 04/13/18 03:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It is heating up today as expected. Good weather for the weekend but a cold front could bring unsettled weather and a potential for dangerous storms Sunday and or Monday. The low eighties F. will otherwise prevail. At 11:20 AM our temp is 70° F.

What M$ updates we've all (MG not included) recently installed were what is regularly referred to as Cumulative Windows Updates. This happens nearly every second Tuesday in the month. The "Spring Creators Update" we're waiting for, the one that may take an hour to install depending on your speed, has been held up. It will go out sometime in the future and that is all I know about it. It will go out somewhat piecemeal to Windows users in an order known only to M$.

I am glad M$ stopped it if there IS a bug. I'd far rather wait until the bugs are all killed or forced to commit insecticide before it is installed on my system. I wonder who caught it? A Windows "Insider" who got to test it early perhaps or actual M$ coder. Errors in coding are inevitable and they are mighty hard to find. Stopping that going out was a good thing.

Have you noticed that when we are told something is good for us, sooner or later a study will claim to prove that was wrong? We were told those roll out toilet towels were not sanitary. Those blower type hand driers were said to be far better. Now, I've just read that all those blower driers do is spray poop dust all over us. Imagine that. It wasn't mentioned but they do also blow dry our hands... even I've noticed that. winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4416199 - 04/13/18 10:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Ya'll,

It's true, Friday the 13th. Don't think I have see more than part of a couple of the movies. But as I mentioned before, I slightly worry when it's Tuesday the 13th.
It seems I have had some bad Karma on said Tuesdays than those Fridays.

Hopefully the thunder I hear outside will not affect me in a bad way, - Other than cooking the steaks on an iron cast pan rather than on the grill.
It's beginning to look like I will be turning on the air conditioning soon since it has gotten to 85 degrees a couple of times already.
But this weekend we'll be waking to 49 degrees and enjoying a high of 65 or so.

Yes, things change, including the early ads about cigarettes, washing produce, and hand dryers. I remember the first one I saw. I was fascinated.

Since I have a seemingly delicate stomach, I do try to watch what and where I eat. There is a favorite place of ours that serves a real Philly steak sandwich close by and is on our dining round. A couple of times, with the same order something triggered a missing of a TV episode afterwards.
I think it had to be the drink. That's what I tasted afterwards.

I started ordering a bottled soft drink there. Problem solved.
Later I saw or read a piece that some stores do not clean the flavored drink containers as often as they should.
We have both worked at eating establishments when younger, and we know how labor intensive the places are.

#4416313 - 04/14/18 09:10 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Very warm and sunny today. Low (49%) humidity makes it especially nice. ☀️

Fittop:

I remember when they used to have doctors swearing this bran or that brand of cigarette was healthy in magazine ads. On TV I've seen actors dressed like doctors promoting cigarettes. Philly steaks are a classic. When visiting my dad in Philly in my teenage years, he took me to enjoy that special treat. I have never gotten one anywhere else that was as tasty.

The eatery of my youth was just a few blocks from my home and near my granddad's barbershop. The made the best hamburgers and hotdogs I've ever tasted. Fortunately, after 3 separate owners, and many decades, the "Hot Dog Stand", as it is still called, is still in operation and using the same chili recipe my dad gave the original owners before I was born. Back then, a big hamburger just cost 25¢. A hot dog cost 15¢. Today, the same delicious burger is $2.

Q: Why are hamburgers poor stool pigeons?
A: They won't talk no matter how you grill them. winkngrin

#4416324 - 04/14/18 10:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Ya'll,

The thunder and lighting last night was heard here, but most of the action took place just to the East with reports of hail and wind damage.
It was windy here, not just from the TV but the gusts that reached the high forties mph.
The wind remained strong through the night and today, still ranging in the twenties.
How did early man figure out the seasons? Guess other animals did help him and her make some deductions. I'm still amazed at the Inca, Mayan and Greek teachings. Very much regret that some early civilizations did not reach a written language. Yet the Inca and their ancestors used the kippus, a calculating math device.

Now I'm in a mood for that Philly steak sandwich. The nearest two shops do make a pretty good one; with one of them having the famous if risqué logo of "The Best 10 inches You Ever Put In Your Mouth." You may not remember their name, but the logo is hard to erase from your mind.

One of my favorite places was where I got my second formal job, - (if you're counting soliciting ladies carrying two heavy bags with a "Need any help, Ma'am?" at the local A & P supermarket as the first. -It was a fair offering for carrying some grocery bags five blocks and perhaps five flights of tenement stairs for a usual .25 cents. Sometimes a nickel or a feast of fifty cents!).
The Horn & Hardart Automat (Started in Philadelphia) was a source of very good food; ranging from baked macaroni to shrimp to some of the best apple pies I've ever had.

It was there where I also learned how to make sandwiches, wash silverware and that according to the graffiti I cleaned up in the restrooms, ladies are more creative and have a better sense of humor. Believe it or not, ladies bathrooms they are also messier than the men's rooms. That was a shock, until my sister became a teenager. yep
Also learned steam table burns are bad, and no matter what, I was going to college because I would not spend my life busing tables forever.

Nah, I can't take back my offer to take her for Tex-Mex tonight. The steak sandwich will have to wait for another day.

#4416340 - 04/15/18 02:20 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Archaeology is fascinating. New technologies are fast expanding our knowledge of the distant past. Unknown cities are being found in the Amazon forest and even under the well explored sands of Egypt. It is a time for wonderment and learning as well as new mysteries. Perhaps the Incas did have a language but wrote upon materials that have deteriorated over time? Maybe they could hold everything in their minds? The more we discover the less we realize that we know.

Facts are only as reliable as the technologies of the time.

Dad took me to the NY Automat when I was sixteen. The Automat was once considered a marvel of modernity. It actually began the "Fast Food" revolution. So convenient for busy employees on a lunch hour. I recall in the 60's there was a Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Tony Randal movie made that featured the NY Automat. Now the spelling of "Automat" is not even listed in my online dictionary. This "country" boy was much impressed when I was there with Dad.

The first Automat actually opened in Berlin. The New York (Horn & Hardart) Automat opened around 1912 I think. There was an ad in the NY Times that year. "Try it, you'll like it." was the headline. I remember that only because I was an ad manager for JCPenney once and that very thing was one of our common boiler plate ad slogans. I had read about the Automat ad in something published by JCP. NY populations began to decline in the 50's. Finally in 1991 those glass doors in NY closed.

Ladies rooms are definitely the worst. That I also learned working in retail advertising. They did more volume than the men's and took far more work to keep clean. That says something about our society but I could not possibly comment upon it here.

For those of you with Netflix, the new "Lost in Space" series started yesterday. I've watched the first two episodes of season 1. It is much different from the 60's TV show. I like it.

Pay no attention to anything I pontificate about (not that you do). I'm not smart. My son got into Mensa, not I. Why, with my minus signed, single digit IQ, I was probably lucky to get into the Mensa room. winkngrin

#4416350 - 04/15/18 05:08 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Ya'll,

JRT, before I forget, thanks for turning us into the Netflix Altered Carbon series. It was enjoyable even if it took me concentrating to keep up with it.

Had it been ethically possible I would have taken pictures of the sayings in those ladies rooms. Some of them were hilarious.
They were my first clue that a woman's mind is usually unappreciated and underestimated.
Well, second clue since I do have a sister who excelled in doing something and making me the patsy. Then again, she became a lawyer. yep

Working in the Automat was an education by itself. First of all, the great people, customers as well, running the full spectrum.
Working almost every position except downstairs cook and head coffee-man I was exposed to foods I would have never tried, or learned how to cook otherwise.
Learned to love the short order cook position, juggling the grill, oil and supplies. Learned to really clean stuff too.

#4416419 - 04/15/18 10:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Overcast rules our Sunday. Storms are bearing down upon us as 6 PM approaches. These storms threaten with possible damaging strait line winds and hail. There is a tornado on the ground quite some distance west of us. The front is moving toward us in the east from our west where a strong cold front is moving across the state going north, north east. The tornado watch is in affect until 11:00 PM. We're prepared, everything should be fine. Chances are the worst of the storms my pass just north of us.

Fittop:

You are quite welcome. Actually, I think you already mentioned it. It is hard to review "Lost In Space" after just 2 episodes. The robot ain't the Robbie Robot of the 60's I'll say that with complete confidence. He still warns "Danger. Will Robinson" The cast is good but Dr. Smith... that character I'll have to see more to decide about what I think. Take a look.

You are a loyal brother admitting there is a, a (whisper) ...lawyer... in the family Fittop. winkngrin

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 04/15/18 10:08 PM. Reason: Latitudinaly challenged

#4416574 - 04/16/18 07:54 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Welcome me back from the dark, cold and veeeery damp. Storms ripped through here last night. Strong winds and heavy rain. It was as if someone were hitting my window with a fire hose at full blast. Plenty of Donder Und Blitzen too. Our electricity went off around 11 PM and did not come back on until about 2 PM today. Yes, it was pitch dark with nary a star to shine down on us. How dark was it? So dark the cat could not read her sheet music and had to rely upon her memory practice singing opera all night long.

Zena goes into estrus or heat every other week now. And what a joy that is too. I'd almost rather push a rusty ice pick into my ear or scoop out an eye with a spoon. There must be something the vet can give her to slow this down. If that is considered unethical then I'll take the stuff if it will knock me out for a quieter day or two.

I was saddened to hear of the death of R. Lee Ermey or "Gunny" as many called him. Actually he was an honorary "Gunny". In the Marine Corps he was a Staff Sergeant. He did two tours in Vietnam and more at others posts. You'll know him as the drill Instructor in Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" and other movie roles. He also had his own show on the History Channel titled "Mail Call". Semper Fi Gunny. (Always Faithful)

The Army will post guards around the place.
The Navy will turn out the lights and lock the doors.
The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters.
The Air Force will take out a 5 year lease with an option to buy.

During the Vietnam war, a Lieutenant asked a Marine why he was falling back during a really fierce battle. "Didn't you hear me say that we're outnumbered 4 to 1 ?"
The Marine replied, "I got my four Sir." winkngrin

#4416640 - 04/17/18 03:06 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Ya'll,
Welcome back to the so-called civilized area, JRT. Hope you managed to stay comfortable during the fifteen hours without electricity.
Now for the check on items that don't do well without refrigeration, etc. But you did that already.
I have no idea if earplugs help with Zena. But hope the vet can help.

I had mentioned the sister's profession before. I am impressed she did it while raising two pretty smart kids, with her husband's support and at a great school.

It was sunny today, but thankfully only reached in the middle sixties, not eighties. I'll be glad to be finished with the tax season soon.
A newer car is needed here and I would prefer to get a lightly used one, there has been too many floods, etc. around to trust not getting a junker.
Gonna miss the minivan, grin, yes, don't laugh. It has come in a lot handier than I would have thought. I became a convert.
I keep looking at the Prius, or a Subaru. Test-drove those ages ago before I got the van.

#4416732 - 04/17/18 06:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Sunny but cool here today. Temp 47°F. / 9°C. at 12:30 PM. It got cold last night. Many here are clearing storm damage. Not in my neighborhood but in the state. I see a serious need for a whole house generator after this non-hurricane weekend without electricity, Fittop. There was at least one fatality in the state and two tornadoes on the ground near Greensboro just over a 100 miles west from here. No damage here, no leaks, no flooding near us. Over 31,000 lacked power so we were not the only ones. Most unusual for power to be off so long without a hurricane.

The actor and North Carolinian Harry Anderson just passed away. He was found at home. He starred as the big-hearted judge of "Night Court" for several years in the late 80's and early 90's.

Fittop:

Nope I tried earplugs.... she just kept pulling those out of her ears. wink We went happily on our honeymoon in my lovely, red sportscar. But by the time our family size increased, though I still had the sportscar, I was driving a big, heavy, powerful Buick Rivera. When Mama is happy Papa is happier. I know many folk who swore by their minivans and only a few that swore AT theirs. They may not be all that sporty but they seem to be an excellent utility vehicle.

Quiet.... I hear a Lycoming engine. Someone luckier than I is right above us joy riding amongst those pretty fair weather clouds. Lucky devil. I can't see him but I still can hear him buzzing off into the distance now. I wish him well whomever he or she might be. I heard the sound of a plane going SE on Sunday. Apparently the pilot was running somewhere just hours away from the storms. I hope he made it safely into a hanger, maybe at the beach. So often at night I hear an engine headed off into the blackness. Walter Mitty like I put myself in the instrument lit cockpit then looking down at the lights below before returning to the instrumentation or glancing somewhere else.

I wonder where I am heading and how far I am going. Who sits in the glow of the cockpit next to me? Am I alone? I imagine navigating long distances as one used to have to do way before GPS and more modern instrumentation. Sliderules and a map. Later radio when it worked properly.

I think of Lindbergh flying the Atlantic. Lindy lacked any electronic means of fixing his location and Earhart with Noonan using the Electra radio to navigate across the Pacific. These were two famous fliers. One lucky and the other one doomed. Noonan was a heavy drinker but was a good radio man. Earhart knew nothing about a radio. The engine sound is finally lost and I return to the glow of my computer screen wishing the traveler(s) a safe landing.

MG:

M$ is still refusing to recognize my one drive and brings everything to a halt at boot-up until I attend to it. Today it never managed to find the files and would not let me sign in. I finally got rid of its demands and proceeded with the remaining boot. Now my one drive icon is missing. I don't care. I do not use it. It will soon be back. M$ knows how I like to have extra, useless icons cluttering the desktop. They always know what is best and lest we set things differently, they force upon us what is good for us, right? Frankly, I think "losing" my one drive location is simply an excuse to solicit me upgrading to a pay level for something I do not want. Not likely. If so, that might anger me sufficiently to cripple the thing. 🤨

Q: How did Microsoft break Volkswagen's world record?
A: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs! winkngrin

#4416786 - 04/18/18 03:14 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Ya'll,

LOL, JRT, I was thinking of the same line when I mentioned earplugs.

There was a lady with beautiful eyes that had a VW and was happy for me to drive her around in it. I was impressed with that bug,
even if it required downshifting if you didn't want to get run over heading uphill on the freeway.
But I was happy to be shifting thru third and still staying under the speed limit.
Do you remember the commercial that claimed if it rained the Bug could float? No, I never tried to see if it was true.

A lot of my fuel was burned working at night. Even with two engines flying over-water your ear gets highly attuned to every tick you hear.
The left engine of that machine seemed to me to be a curly-headed redhead. Somehow I knew that sooner or later there was going to be trouble.

Glad it waited until after I left before it obeyed Murphy's Law and stopped turning between leaving the runway and safe flying speed.
It was one of those missions.
My replacement had a bad back and decided to ride it in rather than risk breaking it on ejection, survived and later told me about it.

But there is a peace felt at night.
Less traffic, your company are the radios, the turned down lights, the engine drone; chasing the sunset or cussing the night storms has a certain romance.

#4416841 - 04/18/18 03:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Today should be sunny with a high of 79 °F (26.1 °C). Winds from S to SSW at 4 to 11 mph (6.4 to 17.7 kph). I discovered that the tornado that touched down near Greensboro was the one that caused the fatality. The second tornado touched down a lot closer. Not too far from where I type this. But thankfully it was far enough. It struck between us and Wendell, NC. Wendell is twenty-three miles west on Hwy. 264.

I am sorry to see former First Lady Barbara Bush has passed away. No, I did not know her personally. And yet, right or wrong, I liked what I knew about her. I've recently read, as you may have, many nice things said about her. I think her personality came through when she was interviewed over the years. One person who knew her well called her "salty". I'll think of her that way too, with a big smile when I do.

Quotes:

To the Wellesley College graduating class: "At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, children, or a parent." (June 1,1990)

Her advice to Hillary Rodham Clinton about handling reporters as first lady: "Avoid this crowd like the plague. And if they quote you, make damn sure they heard you." (Aug. 24, 1992)

On son Jeb running for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016: "There are other people out there that are very qualified and we've had enough Bushes." (April 25, 2013)

#4416844 - 04/18/18 03:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Lucky Fittop and his pal too, it seems.

I never owned a "Bug" but I drove one for a year. It was OK. There was the smell of gasoline always present in the front seat I didn't like and couldn't find the cause of. I drove that car maybe 10K miles at no cost to me beyond gas and oil. How? A friend of mine and I had an advertising scheme using VW "Bugs". He got a whole fleet of them and sold billboards that were then painted on the sides.

Then he just loaned the cars to friends, like me, just to drive around and spread the reach and frequency of the advertising. He made quite a bit of money.

We spoke of lawyers. That guy now teaches law at a university. But when I knew him he was a poor law student with a family trying to not only to make ends meet but get them to just catch sight of one another. He came to see me one day and introduced himself. He had a talent, his wife was talented too. They offered their services as clowns and balloon artists for our mall events in the Raleigh, NC area.

It sounded good to me back in the late 70's. It hadn't been over done back then. I hired them. Their first gig was at the big North Hills Mall. It was Easter time and we had an Easter Bunny in residence for the kids and for taking their Easter photos. The lines were always long and often slow moving. I had the clowns working the lines at the busiest times of the day. They kept the line moving and entertained those waiting for a few minutes with E. Bunny. Business was the best it ever had been to that point and we had no complaints.

I am credited by that man and wife team in getting them through those college years without starving or going homeless. I don't know about that. If I helped even a little that pleases me. They and their kids are very nice folks. And should I ever need a good lawyer...... winkngrin

#4416997 - 04/19/18 04:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Mostly sunny here today. The current temp is 73°F./ 23°C. . Very pleasant but windy.

A museum in Denmark says it has solved the seven-decade mystery of a missing Nazi submarine. The Sea War Museum Jutland, in northern Denmark, says researchers found the German U-boat U-3523 on the seafloor just north of the country earlier this month.

The submarine was sunk on May 6, 1945, the day after Nazi forces surrendered in Denmark, parts of Germany and the Netherlands in World War II, according to the museum. For years there has been speculation that the sub, which was one of Nazi Germany's most advanced U-boats at the time, made it to South America carrying fleeing Nazi officers (possibly even Adolf Hitler himself) according to some conspiracy theorists.

That type sub could stay submerged and did not have to come to the surface to charge batteries. It must have been caught on the surface by a plane. For a long time, just coming out of their reinforced concrete pen was practically suicidal for any U-boat caught on the surface. Take another look at the excellent movie "Das Boot".

An artist's rendering shows the sub is embedded in the sea floor at about a 45° angle. Looks like they didn't make it to South America after all. Wait, maybe they did and Hitler sent them back for the second load? winkngrin

#4417188 - 04/20/18 07:21 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello Chaps,

A belated thankyou for those pics Rog - I was back up in Derbyshire for a week. Stayed longer than usual and got some sort of ear-related virus for my pains. It just took the strength from my legs which is something that it usually takes Jack Daniels to do.
Lovely summery weather here today at long last with just the slightest chill to the breeze, like winter's last gasp you might say.

You have a nice set of knives there sir...I particularly liked the camel-bone handle with a sort of opal-esque appearance. Never heard that type of bone being used for handles before.

I watched 'Das Boot' twice and will maybe go round again at some point. My friend's wife said it was like like watching paint dry but that's wimmin for ya. yep

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4417197 - 04/20/18 08:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A bit cooler this day. Temp at 3:34 is only 63°F. for we heathen Colonists / or 17° C. for you chaps in Canada and elsewhere in the educated parts of the world.

Dux:

Sorry you were ill. Good old Jack, he has made so many legless over here too. I hope your brother is well and the 3/4 of Derbyshire that consider themselves you personal friends. You are quite welcome for the photos. I have a couple of new ones taken yesterday of the kids that I may send to you.

It is hard to believe my grandson is old enough he is cleaning up a car he plans to restore in time for him to have a license to drive it. He'll be old enough to get his license in August!!

My granddaughter was helping him while already discussing the probability my son would buy her a Jeep like her Barbie has when she is old enough to drive. How can this be? I'm still a teenager in my mind. (on my merry way to my second childhood I suppose). Do not smile too broadly. In no time at all your lovely granddaughter, almost the same age as mine, may be sweet talking you into doing something very similar. He is resurrecting an Anniversary model Pontiac Firebird that my son had bought for his mother when they were still married.

Yes, the bone handle is unusual in my mind too. That came as a freebie with the Buffalo bone folder with the carbon steel Damascus blade. I was long familiar with the much coveted Damascus barreled rifles and shotguns of the past but hadn't thought much about those amazing swords and knives. Mine is a fine blade but one must be careful when ordering not to buy a blade that is simply etched with acid and not "real" Damascus. You cannot always tell by the price but that is a very good clue.

I am not sure of the modern process of banging out 270+ layers into a single, razor sharp carbon steel blade. The true and ancient recipe has long been lost. I love the folder. It is practically a work of art. Even the holster that comes with it is beautifully tooled. That free camel boned folder is small and has a regular, high grade carbon steel blade. I also like the French made Opinel carbon steel folder. Yes, I know carbon steel requires maintenance but it sharpens so nicely. Better than with a mirror finish stainless steel blade. It too is razor sharp as it comes from the box.

I find the #8 Opinel is just perfect as a slicer. Especially when my granddaughter and I share a big, juicy Red Delicious apple.

Das Boot.... My favorite sub movie. Ahhhh, she may be right, but it is such good paint and it takes a long time to dry. winkngrin

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 04/20/18 08:38 PM. Reason: Mindless typing again. Proof reader asleep too

#4417244 - 04/21/18 07:35 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps...

Another beautiful morning although my neighbour reckons rain before long. With the dramatic weather changes around here, that is quite likely. Hope it doesn't turn out that way because I fancied a two-hour fishing trip from the harbour this morning. Don't want to be caught out there in a blow. It can get really choppy around the headland. What was it someone said in Treasure Island? '...watch out for squalls!' darkcloud

The backyard Sycamores are well on their way to full leaf which is about two weeks earlier than up in the Derbyshire Peak District.

Last edited by Old Dux; 04/21/18 07:43 AM.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4417276 - 04/21/18 02:54 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Relatively cold last night and this morning, at least it is for late April. The temp has managed to rise to 53°F. / 12° C. at 9:30 AM.

Dux:

I hope the good weather holds long enough to wet your hook today. It is already 3:20 PM where you are so you should know by now.

I think the quote was more like. "Watch fer Squaws" Silver's navigator had gotten into the rum stores again, you see. On their way to Treasure Island, by way of what is now New England to barter for grub and er... other useful things, they thought they were landing on the coast of the New World.... OK. Maybe not.

My felicitations to Her Majesty on arriving safely upon another royal birthday.

When growing up, my favorite climbing trees were a Sycamore and two Sweetgums that had grown straight and tall on the property. My great grandmother, a strict Victorian Southern Bell, if ever there were such a thing, showed me how to tap the sap from the Sweetgum tree. It made a tasty if unusual chewing gum. So adept at explaining the wonders of nature and the "Old Timey" ways was she that the lady with the starched apron and a bun hairdo could have written a better Firefox Book than I ever had on my bookshelf.

Here, we are celebrating "Earth Day" today. As you know, that is the one day in the year that we make mud pies and throw great handfuls of earth at each othr... what's that LeRoy? Surely not! Good lord man, if you are right, then no wonder everyone has been so annoyed with me. winkngrin

#4417343 - 04/22/18 02:01 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Ya'll,

I really need to open up that ignored calendar, or get out of the cave more often.

I thought the Queens birthday had been earlier, and the wait was now for a better-suited day for a Royal celebration?
Perhaps LeRoy is wrong and the reason for the annoyance is that tomorrow is the real Earth Day?
But like I say, I've been wrong more than once. OK, way more times than I can count in two hands.

In my defense, before I start ducking those mud pies, the weather here - though starting a lot lower that in your numbers has at least had the decency to finish up in the low sixties today. The street is barely wet and it's almost past the period in which two inches of liquid sunshine was predicted to fall.

Nevertheless, the bluebonnets are out. They are beautiful but apparently the state must be through with the Ladybird Johnson period of seeding the highway medians with wildflowers. Either that, or they have decided to put the money into someone else pocket, or just run out of that money.

The traffic cone will remain the official state bird in these parts.
There seems to be potholes around that could hide baby carriages, they are definitely big enough to swallow tires and suspension items.

Road repair and construction signs will remain effective markers of traffic routes.
My respect of road repair crews goes up daily as I notice the multitude of drives more concerned with their pocket gadgets than the road distance and direction they travel at 40 mph.

Maybe self driving cars are here and I just haven't gotten the word?

Page 557 of 608 1 2 555 556 557 558 559 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.