Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4416509 - 04/16/18 03:26 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
LOL Ice. Sokol1 and I gave you conflicting answers on the importance of Complex Engine Management. So I guess it's up to if you when you'd like to learn first; aircraft systems and engine management, or flying and fighting.

I still think the nature of this sim allows you to pick where you focus first (as opposed to BMS/DCS where you need to learn on the boring minutia before you can blow anything up).

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#4416511 - 04/16/18 03:33 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Steerable tailwheels (and nosewheels for that matter) were in their infancy back then. A few planes had them, most didn't and featured only free-castoring, or lockable tailwheels (100% locked or 100% unlocked without anything inbetween). Should you taxi with wheel unlocked? Well, you have to turn somehow, don't ya biggrin? Although I admit the lock is barely useful in this sim, as the wheel tends to slip hopelessly, as if terrain was covered with butter - concrete or dirt doesn't matter. As a result BoX planes tend to yaw somewhat with lock on anyway. This is where DCS has a realism advantage, the tailwheels there have noticeably higher lateral grip and thus do have some actual, practical purpose wink. That being said, in either of these sims, only rudder in itself is not enough to control the taildragger plane on the ground, nor should it be. Differential braking is needed all the time - even if not for initiating the turn, then certainly for stopping it! Make sure you learn how differential brakes operate in your chosen plane (different systems - usually toe brakes for Germans but central stick handle + rudder pedals for Russians), make correct controller assignments in the options and off you go.

The sim is FC-3 equivalent - thus there is no clickability and no manual startup procedure. Somewhat simplified interaction with aircraft systems as well (many of which are either not implemented, or turned on by default). That being said, in the heat of actual dogfight that doesn't make a difference anyway (just like in DCS/FC3).

No idea about zoom, because I like default one, and am quite a noob in this franchise as well (only about two weeks "older" than You smile ).

#4416522 - 04/16/18 04:15 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Oh, there is an easy mode?

The game has three "realism" levels - notice that in all the planes FM is the same.

NORMAL - Have all "piloting assistance" aids ON (simplify controls, cruise control, throttle limit, radiator assist...) and all gameplay aids (icons, labels, HUD...), you need control only throttle and basic flight controls.

CUSTOM - Allow you choose what "piloting assistance" aids use and some "cheaters" (Simplifications) - unbreakable, invulnerability, unlimited ammo, fuel...

EXPERT - All aids OFF, and camera limited to cockpit view only.

By turning all aids OFF in CUSTOM but leaving "Allow spectators" you have EXPERT MODE with external camera.

NORMAL is too "arcade" (IMO), for start use CUSTOM and turn ON some engine aids like 'throttle auto limit", "engine auto control", "radiator assist" and "warmed up engines" - so can press E and after the length start-up script animations (like DCS Win+Home) slam the throttle. smile

Lock tail wheel is not available for all planes, depends on how is IRL. E.g. LaGG-3 don't have.

Assign a joy button - e.g. Warthog paddle, for "Wheels brakes" and use this together with rudder for for brake only right or left wheel in ground taxi in Russian planes.

Since this brake is "ON/OFF" don't press and hold the button, but gently tap. Taxi at low pace.

For Luftwaffe planes can use "toe brakes" on your rudder pedal ("right wheel brake", "left wheel brake"), but the above system work for this planes too - gameplay concession for "twist stick" only players.

"M" key don't show navigation map, but a kind of "GPS display" limited to your plane surrounds. For seem navigation map hit O key.

ZOOM (inside cockpit) is in Pilot Heal Control > Assign a button/HAT for Pilot Head: Zoom in and for Pilot Head: Zoom out.

Controls names is somewhat impaired by bad translation (done by Russian translator and not be someone used to English).

#4416529 - 04/16/18 04:40 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
You adjust camera position in cockpit with keys

Insert, home, Page Up,
Delete, End, Page Down

And save the new position with F-10 - is advisable change this for Alt+F10 for avoid accidental save.

#4416565 - 04/16/18 07:18 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: Art_J]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by theOden
Only thing I'm unsatisfied with is the mission editor, makes me kill kittens and burn cars, after mere 3 minutes in there.

Oh my. You need a stress ball or something? biggrin

Originally Posted by malibu43
I still think the nature of this sim allows you to pick where you focus first (as opposed to BMS/DCS where you need to learn on the boring minutia before you can blow anything up).

I've always maintained that a new pilot can "find the fun" in games like BMS and DCS with minimal study of the other systems, but that was with me knowing more intimate details of the sim and can tell the new pilot what he needs to know and what he can ignore. In this situation, I'm now the new pilot trying to drink out of a firehose smile I've not felt like a true newbie facing a learning cliff for a long time now biggrin

Originally Posted by Art_J
Differential braking is needed all the time - even if not for initiating the turn, then certainly for stopping it! Make sure you learn how differential brakes operate in your chosen plane (different systems - usually toe brakes for Germans but central stick handle + rudder pedals for Russians), make correct controller assignments in the options and off you go.

I have a feeling my brakes aren't mapped properly. Can you give me a primer how to brake in Russian aircraft, specifically the Yak-1? I've a feeling it's not just tapping on the toe brakes?

@Sokol1 - thanks for the tips! Any benefit with going for harder-than-normal difficulty? With brakes on the Yak-1, how is this done?

- Ice
#4416611 - 04/16/18 10:28 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

It's no use being a hot-shot pilot that can kill any enemy even on a snapshot if he can't bloody taxi back to his hangar without going dizzy from all the ground loops!

- Ice
#4416620 - 04/16/18 11:20 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted by - Ice

With brakes on the Yak-1, how is this done?

Brake in the Russian (British, Italian...) way: smile

[Linked Image]

Assign a joy button - e.g. Warthog paddle, for the command "Wheels brakes" and use this button together with rudder movement for brake only right or left wheel during ground taxi in any Russian plane.

Since this brake button operation result "ON/OFF" don't press and hold the button, but gently tap continuously. Taxi at low speed.

Ground loops means that you are moving too fast.

Yak-1 allow lock the tail wheel (LShift+G).

On taxi pull the stick back and hold, throttle up slow - the goal is move very slow, when want turn, "type" on brake button with full rudder for the turn side. Easy. smile

#4416683 - 04/17/18 01:35 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

So no toe brakes? And brakes will apply to the side with the rudder pedal forward?

- Ice
#4416687 - 04/17/18 01:38 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted by - Ice
So no toe brakes? And brakes will apply to the side with the rudder pedal forward?

This is correct for Russian planes. Some of the German planes do have toe brakes.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#4416698 - 04/17/18 01:53 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
In Bo'X series all German planes, P-39, P-40, A-20 and Russian i-16 use "toe brakes" (as IRL).

All other Russian planes, Mc 202 (Italian), Spitfire Mk.Vb use "differential brakes" (as IRL).

BTW - Not related, but another game/planes peculiarity that cause confusion for casual players:

In Bo'X series only Bf 109, Mc 202 and Ju-52 allow use an (analog) axis for "Stabilizer adjust" (pitch trim).

All other planes need use keys/buttons/HAT's for trims.

And each plane has trim like their IRL counterpart, some has only for pitch (e.g Bf 109), others for pitch and rudder (e.g. Spit), others for pitch, rudder, aileron (Pe-2).

In controls (Key binding) are three category of trim names (some specific for a given plane), but game allow use the same key/button for different controls, what simplify the control in practice.

#4416701 - 04/17/18 02:03 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Okay, so with rudders neutral, squeezing the brake handle will apply brakes on both wheels. With the left rudder forward, squeezing the brake handle will apply left wheel brake. Do I have that correct?

- Ice
#4416702 - 04/17/18 02:10 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Correct.

Because when you move rudder bar for left the valve attached to rudder bar release (vent for atmosphere) the brake pressure (compressed air) in right wheel. smile

#4416753 - 04/17/18 08:50 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Major news from the Lapino airfield!! Newbie pilot -Ice has finally successfully completed his taxi-takeoff-land-taxi mission and only doing less than a dozen ground loops this time! There may be hope for this pilot yet!!

I'm not yet using my TrackIR and so use the F4 external view when taxiing, is there a command for leaning-out-the-cockpit view?

Do you guys taxi with the tailwheel unlocked? I find it too sensitive so I lock the tailwheel back whenever I can and approach sharp turns gently, unlock the tailwheel for as short a period as possible. What speed do you guys taxi at? I'm hovering between 10-20km/h.

- Ice
#4416761 - 04/17/18 10:42 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Open cockpit and lean with Delete and End keys until set TrackIR.

Generally you lock tail wheel for take-off and leave unlocked for taxi.

#4416765 - 04/17/18 11:18 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: Sokol1]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks Sokol!

Originally Posted by Sokol1
Generally you lock tail wheel for take-off and leave unlocked for taxi.

I thought so but damn is it sensitive! Any more tips? You mentioned just tapping on the brakes and I can do that to keep straight but when doing turns, well, I usually need a loop or two to straighten out. The difficult bit is when I pass a point-of-no-return and I know that a loop is coming again and I've no way of stopping it from happening. I can now control it sooner than I did before, but once past that point, I feel like I'm in for a ride until it sorts itself out enough for me to get control again.

- Ice
#4416856 - 04/18/18 05:28 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
I'd say it's "just" a question of getting used to. Like in helicopters, thinking and acting ahead is the name of the game. Don't wait until that point of no return, anticipate and apply oposite brake tap or two almost immediately after the beginning of the turn, before the damn thing becomes a bit too eager to rotate! Maybe you're taxiing a bit too fast as well? In some planes, like the P-40 for example, the brakes are so crappy, that they cannot "catch" and stop the turn when you roll too fast. Might be similar case in the plane of your choice.

#4416886 - 04/18/18 08:25 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Can anyone tell me a safe and max speed to be taxiing at?

- Ice
#4416988 - 04/19/18 03:29 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Ha! That's a tough one, and I'd be surprised if anyone answered. It's just not something you measure exactly (honestly, have you ever done it in DCS or XPlane?), or even can measure at all (I use BoX with all on-screen helpers off, except for radio chatter text, and most speed indicators working off the ordinary pitot tube just don't pick up anything below 50 kph). Simply put, safe/max speed is the one which allows you to control the plane on the ground safely smile. Just look at real life vids of warbirds taxiing and do the same thing. Works in BoX just fine.

OK, OK, to be more precise - safe is somewhere between walking and jogging pace of an adult human, max is close to average guy's runnnig pace biggrin.

#4417055 - 04/19/18 10:41 PM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: Art_J]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Let me narrow that down to safe and max taxi speed for the Yak-1, for when the HUD aids are on and I can see my groundspeed in kph.

Originally Posted by Art_J
It's just not something you measure exactly (honestly, have you ever done it in DCS or XPlane?)

I believe it can be done in DCS A10C, but I definitely do it in BMS, where straight-line taxi can be done at 20-30knots and turns are best done at 10-15knots IIRC. The speed readout can be seen on the DED.

- Ice
#4417083 - 04/20/18 04:05 AM Re: Newbie reporting for duty!!!! [Re: - Ice]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Well, Lapino is good place for 'train" taxi, you spawn just in the middle of runway length and need taxi this distance for take-off point. smile

I did some taxi with Yak-1 there: release tail wheel for initial 90 degrees turn, then lock for that half runway taxiway length, the final turn was able to to with wheel locked, if keep speed bellow than ~15KM/H. Help too keep the rudder full pressed for the side of the next turn, and then press the "wheels brakes", in that way you loose less speed than will loose if brake both wheels first for after release the opposite wheel. If you keep 20 KM/H or more brakes may have not authority for the turn an/or the plane will make "donuts". smile

If you have complete control over engine (what I do) can reduce the propeller pitch (RPM) and have less tendency to accelerate in straight taxi.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.