Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4420024 - 05/10/18 12:53 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Hahah!

Well I do kinda like the Thargoids... I'm still chasing the Scouts around in the bubble. I hauled so many evacuation passengers from the stations the Thargoids have wrecked, that I cleared the rank for buying a Federal Corvette. So that's an unexpected bit of fun playing with that lately. And it kills Scouts very well, too!

biggrin

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4420028 - 05/10/18 01:15 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
They haven't done anything to me, aside from slow me down a couple of times. So as long as we have this understanding I'm happy to maintain the status quo.

I'm glad you brought up those rescue missions. Can you go in to more detail about what you do? I have a couple of very cool running ships and was thinking of trying this, but I didn't want to lose my ship because I didn't know how to do them right.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4420032 - 05/10/18 01:37 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Sure, those wrecked stations appear to have lost their cooling systems, and maybe are on reduced power. The interior is red illuminated, there's smoke, there's some fire, there's random explosions. There is debris (bigger than a Type-9) floating around inside.

Those things are not a problem, for the most part. I was making trips in my Type-9, and it was mostly easy avoiding debris, though a few times a nearby explosion would "push" my ship around and I've have to correct it. Once, I was pushed onto the wrong landing pad, and because my Type-9 is kinda sluggish, I got a 500Cr fine for loitering.

The real threat is heat. Once you cross through the airlock, the ship temperature starts to rise. In my Type-9, I had to fire 1 heat sink just as I touched down. While parked down below in the hanger, you are safe, and can't overheat. On takeoff, I always suffered a couple percent of heat damage (I think it occurs while waiting on the landing pad to reach the surface. Another heat sink, and I'm well out the airlock and on my way. My repair bill was maybe 600Cr to 1000Cr, each run.

The environment creates a sense of urgency, but there is plenty of time.

What's most cool, though, is all the smoke, fire, lights and emergency announcements. They create one of the most atmospheric experiences in Elite.

Oh, inside the station are also some scattered canisters and escape pods. The Rescue ship offers missions to collect these. I did this (and some Passenger rescue missions) in my Cobra. Just some heat sinks and a collector limpet controller, and I'm all good. The Cobra is also way faster and easier to enter/exit/avoid debris than my Type-9.

Fun stuff, and I heartily recommend a visit! Any ship with a few heat sinks and passenger cabins should be good.

Last edited by adlabs6; 05/10/18 01:38 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4420034 - 05/10/18 01:55 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
What heat percentage does your T-9 normally run?

At what point is heat too much?

Thanks for the info. My Orca runs at 17% and the DBX at 15% (and lower). The Asp also runs really cool, but not quite as low as I didn't go for thermal mods as much when I was engineering that ship.

What size cabins do you need on board?

#4420039 - 05/10/18 02:14 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I can't recall, but I'd guess my Type-9 runs in the 30% range.

When heat gets above 80%, there's a voice warning of critical heat levels. Damage doesn't occur until above 100% heat, and then it's 1% to 3% on various modules, every few seconds.

On my other ships, I've had the heat as high as 150% or 200% for brief periods. Some module damage happened, can't recall if hull damage occurred. Overheating is, interestingly, a successful method of removing Thargoid Caustic substances from the hull. Heating the ship up above 150% will fry the caustic substances, and prevents any further damage it would cause to the ship. I've seen CMDRs do this, mid-combat vs. Thargoids, when the get hit by a Caustic Missile or hit a Thargoid goo-cloud by accident.

On cabins, my Cobra just carries a single Class 4 Economy unit, for 16 passengers. The Rescue Missions aren't VIP, so you can stack several into that same cabin. If you scan over the passenger missions, there are often some with just 2 to 8 passengers each, which easily stack.

The Type-9 I simply filled all internal slots (excepting my C7A shield) with Economy cabins. It has space for something like 136 or 139 passengers.

#4420042 - 05/10/18 02:21 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great info, I'm going to give this a go. The destination is a rescue ship right outside the station? And is that where you pick up the mission or is that done at the station itself?

#4420056 - 05/10/18 03:56 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
The damaged station only has passengers to rescue, IIRC. The cargo missions are on the rescue ship which orbits the station (very close, the super cruise time between them is like 4 seconds, lol.

Big question is... Where is a damaged station and rescue ship this week. IIRC, last night was the "tick" and the station attacks and status changed. If you don't find this info first, I'll check and post back tonight.

#4420151 - 05/10/18 11:46 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Ok, so I checked on the damaged station I had been working at... It's no longer in emergency, it's shifted to repair state. All the fires are out, but the docking bay is still like a smoke cloud inside. No more evacuees, no more rescue ship.

As far as I'm aware, there are currently NO starports in emergency evacuation status due to Thargoids. The two stations which were under threat this week were successfully defended by players killing the little Thargoid Scouts. But two new potential targets have been identified, and pending player defense, could be attacked next week around this time.

If one goes down, I'll post it here for anyone interested in taking a look at the emergency evacuation stuff.

Last edited by adlabs6; 05/10/18 11:46 PM.

#4420212 - 05/11/18 12:48 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha, NOW you tell me biggrin

So I hopped on last night and grabbed my Orca. Swapped in economy class cabins for 64 passengers and threw on a couple of heatsinks. Plotted a course to a damaged station (yellow), that was about 180 light years. Got there and realized it was under repair and not on fire. You need the red stations.

So I stacked a few refugee missions, delivered them and flew home.

Just have to wait for the next attack.

#4420225 - 05/11/18 02:01 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Ah... Well visiting the stations under repair is worth it, if you're in the neighborhood. Weird to see the smoke and damaged structures all around the familiar surroundings.

It's a weird dual edge sword... On one hand, I hope you get a chance next week to visit a burning station. But weirdly, I'm fighting Thargoids to make this impossible?!

biggrin

#4420244 - 05/11/18 03:43 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, it was cool, I always enjoy seeing new things, and the missions weren't worth anything really so I was able to boost my rep a good bit. I had chosen a Superpower aligned station for the rep. And got some at least.

I'm all over the next attacked station though.

#4421463 - 05/18/18 07:59 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So what the hell is going on with this? Are players protecting these stations in some way? I've been looking every day for the past week and no new attacked stations. I've been itching to try this out. Before I cared I saw red stations like all the time.

Is it a matter of a watched pot never boils?

#4421481 - 05/18/18 10:44 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Haha, well could be a case of watched pot.

I'm killing Thargoid Scouts in hopes of protecting stations, along with quite a few other CMDRs. This last week, those combined efforts resulted in another successful defense at both threatened systems. Maybe the increasing numbers of players contributing makes success more likely.

I moved my Corvette out to one of the two new threat systems today. There is a Thargoid damaged cargo mega-ship there (as often in many threatened systems), and loads of NHSS sources.

Still too early to get an idea whether one of the current threat systems will fall. There are groups of players who are trying to track/monitor the overall contribution, but it appears to be decently inaccurate, since it relies on either voluntary reporting, or the otherwise unrelated total system traffic counts.

If it's looking like one will fall, I'll try to post here for a heads up.

#4421552 - 05/19/18 12:21 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, well, can you stop it please?

Just let one of 'em fall. That's all I need. Not asking for much biggrin

#4421577 - 05/19/18 02:09 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
LOL! biggrin

#4421887 - 05/21/18 11:43 AM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You guys are still at it I see. Well, we should thank you for saving civilization. But if you happen to notice one slipping through the net let me know smile

#4422990 - 05/27/18 10:12 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I made my first attempt at a Thargoid Cyclops Interceptor today. Finally got my Corvette hardened sufficiently, at 2100MJ shields, and 5100 hull strength.

The engagement was decently protracted, with the shield holding well, and I gave 3 shots of SCB to pick them up a bit, along the way.

Twice I exerted the first Heart, using an all AX Multi-Cannon loadout. Took the Heart down about half way. Finally I had to call it quits with 18% hull remaining.

While my AX Taipan fighter did a good job distracting the Cyclop and the Thargon Swarm, it wasn't enough. I need to focus on taking out the Thargon Swarm first and foremost, to open up more time to take those Hearts out. I'm also going to look at swapping to dual 3C AX Missile Racks for exerting the Thargoid Heart. The MCs did OK at this, but I'd like to compare the effectiveness of the AX Missiles.

Going back in better organized, maybe next time I can take out a Heart or two.

#4430064 - 07/12/18 07:02 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by DBond
Yeah, well, can you stop it please?

Just let one of 'em fall. That's all I need. Not asking for much biggrin

Station has fallen under attack in Tembala, probably will only be in the damaged state this week (until next Thursday)!

#4430224 - 07/13/18 05:41 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ah, now you tell me haha. My ships are all in, er, drydock for the mo, oil changes and spark plugs you see. I'll have to let this one in Tembala go, until such time as I am back in the 'pit.

#4438938 - 09/14/18 01:45 PM Re: I was interdicted by Thargoids [Re: DBond]  
WH_Boomer Offline
WH_Boomer  Offline

Gulf Coast
Greetings,

Kind of late to the thread, but here's a video of a rescue I made last winter. Thargoid attacks are continuing so finding a station that needs rescuing shouldn't be a problem.

~S~
WH_Boomer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.