Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4416658 - 04/17/18 09:01 AM Buying a card used for mining be  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

Hello.

I’ve noticed a lot of cards being sold online secondhand around my state that have obviously been used for mining.
Lots of gtx 1060 and 1070s going cheapish.
Keeping in mind I just want a cheap boost to my system ahead of a complete rebuild in another year or so for VR, anything to look out for?
I suspect a lot of these cards who intended to get into mining and then the price collapsed or they just got jack of it.
Good time to pick up a cheap stop gap card?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4416690 - 04/17/18 01:44 PM Re: Buying a card used for mining be [Re: Bumfluff]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Depends on how much they're selling it for. I would pick up a card if it was still under warranty and if the manufacturer will recognize that the warranty will transfer over to you. I would also prefer someone who is local and would probably bring my tower so I can install the card right there and then and run some tests.

As with anything, buyer beware. Some people say mining cards shouldn't be much worse off than gaming cards as good miners should run their cards cool and undervolt the cards for cooler performance, but with the recent boom in mining, a lot of people jumped in the bandwagon and not all of them are necessarily "good miners" who know what they're doing.

Can't wait for those with 1080Tis to start dumping their cards smile

- Ice
#4416779 - 04/18/18 01:31 AM Re: Buying a card used for mining be [Re: Bumfluff]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I am trying to decide if I trust Russian/Chinese hackers enough to really care about pretend money.

Then I read the sentence again and grabbed a beer instead.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4416791 - 04/18/18 04:19 AM Re: Buying a card used for mining be [Re: - Ice]  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

Believe people are already starting to dump 1080s on gumtree here. I get the feeling there were a bunch of people and small companies that looked at mining a few months ago and are already bailing out

quote=- Ice]Depends on how much they're selling it for. I would pick up a card if it was still under warranty and if the manufacturer will recognize that the warranty will transfer over to you. I would also prefer someone who is local and would probably bring my tower so I can install the card right there and then and run some tests.

As with anything, buyer beware. Some people say mining cards shouldn't be much worse off than gaming cards as good miners should run their cards cool and undervolt the cards for cooler performance, but with the recent boom in mining, a lot of people jumped in the bandwagon and not all of them are necessarily "good miners" who know what they're doing.

Can't wait for those with 1080Tis to start dumping their cards smile[/quote]
Originally Posted by - Ice
Depends on how much they're selling it for. I would pick up a card if it was still under warranty and if the manufacturer will recognize that the warranty will transfer over to you. I would also prefer someone who is local and would probably bring my tower so I can install the card right there and then and run some tests.

Can't wait for those with 1080Tis to start dumping their cards smile

#4416887 - 04/18/18 08:26 PM Re: Buying a card used for mining be [Re: Bumfluff]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
No, I want the 1080Tis, not the plain 1080s biggrin

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.