Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4418711 - 05/02/18 12:12 AM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Not sure that translates well or even easily to highest levels of pro competition. At the echelon of play in a league like the NHL, "some skill" is what every player has to have, period.

If those players on VGK merely had "some skill" their coaches and team-mates couldn't get this level of play from them. We often hear "he makes his team-mates better" and it's false. The players can reach their potential some percentage of the time but never, ever exceed their own skill. It's not possible except under artistic license.

We're seeing them play close to their potential often.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4418748 - 05/02/18 03:59 AM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Many of the unprotected players that make up VGK, were exposed due to team talent depth, and salary cap issues.

#4418909 - 05/03/18 01:53 AM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The Capitals can go #%&*$# themselves. That is all.

Next game, you can do it penguins.

Last edited by Master; 05/03/18 01:58 AM.
#4418963 - 05/03/18 03:32 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Is the Vegas Cinderella story finally coming to an end ?

BTW, has anyone seen Phil Kessel ?

#4418970 - 05/03/18 04:17 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I think VGK just had a clunker of a night. I think the series will go seven games, and then their Cinderella story will hit a brick wall when they play the winner of the Preds/Jets series (which will be the Jets).

Phil Kessal was last seen at a Tim Horton's arguing with Evgeni Malkin over who ate the last doughnut. biggrin

#4418979 - 05/03/18 05:45 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Really hoping the Penguins lose, mainly because I hate the Penguins. But part of me wants to see Ovechkin with a shot at a title. I usually prefer trainwrecks over feel-good stories. But what a shame it would be for a player of Ovie's talent to never play for a championship. The Caps generally have no one to blame but themselves for their playoff failures, but this guy deserves better in my opinion.

I happened to be flipping channels the other night, and wasn't even thinking about hockey after the Pens dispatched my Flyers. The bastages, with Sid the Bastage Kid leading the way. Hate that guy biggrin

Anyway, I came across the Preds-Jets game (the 2OT game 2) and decided to watch for a couple of minutes.And I loved it. As an east-coaster I don't get to see these teams much, unless they are playing the Flyers. But man, what a game. The pace is just unreal. I've been watching hockey for a long time, since before they had ads on the boards haha. Since before the Flyers won their last Cup.

You often see people talking about the greatest players of all time, and where guys like Gordie Howe, or Bobby Orr, or any of the greats of the past would stack up. Ya know what I think? They'd be squad players at best. Now I am talking about the player they were then, not necessarily what Bobby Orr would be were he to come through today, with the sports science and conditioning programs and diets and training methods. I mean if you took 1970 Bobby Orr and put that player in the NHL today he would look mediocre at best. I don't expect many to agree with this, especially if you're of a certain age (but I'm 50). But virtually every player on an NHL team today is a better hockey player than just about every player from 40 years ago.

I have my heroes too. Guys like Bill Barber and Bobby Clarke, but when I sit back and look at it somewhat objectively, I come to the conclusion that today's game is light years beyond what we saw back then. The stick and puck skills, the goalie techniques (goalies used to stand up!. Remember Dominik Hasek and his butterfly style and how odd it was? That's what they all do now). And the speed! The speed and power of today's players is amazing.

Anyway, just some thoughts that have been running through my mind.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4419035 - 05/04/18 01:08 AM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
It his funny to go back and look at video of when Gretzky first game into the league. Their were still guys sporting Brill Cream hair and smoking two packs a day playing defense. He actually changed the way the game was played and who was able to play it. As a kid I loved the Bruins/Flyers games/brawls (Kelly and MaCleish were awesome) and the great playoff series between the Habs and the Bruins. They were as intense as it could possibly get out there. My personnel favorites have always been Teemu Selane, Pavel Bure, and Alexander Mogilny. Those guys flat out flew out there in the time when the defense was not only big, they were starting to get really fast too. Today's game has it elites for sure. I too have to admit that Crosby is one of them. Bleh, it hurts to say that. Some say Nick Lidstrom was a better defensemen than Bobby Orr. Some will get mad at even the thought of it. I still say you can't really compare guys from different eras. Oh well, after the playoffs are over, the TV in my man cave will not be turned on again until college football starts again. biggrin

#4419052 - 05/04/18 05:36 AM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: DBond]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted by DBond
Really hoping the Penguins lose, mainly because I hate the Penguins. But part of me wants to see Ovechkin with a shot at a title. I usually prefer trainwrecks over feel-good stories. But what a shame it would be for a player of Ovie's talent to never play for a championship. The Caps generally have no one to blame but themselves for their playoff failures, but this guy deserves better in my opinion.

They won today's game. Tied 2-2. Next game should be fun!

#4419121 - 05/04/18 03:33 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: LB4LB]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by LB4LB
(Kelly and MaCleish were awesome)

I knew Rick MacLeish. He gave me a Flyers alumni pullover that I love. Only players and staff can get a hold of those. Also Bill barber, Tim Kerr and Bernie Parent among others. They all have summer homes in my town.

Bruins fan eh? Yeah I could say the same about Cam Neely, Adam Oates and Ray Bourque. Not as far ago obviously, but players that I respected.

And so right about Mogilny. Selanne and the Russian Rocket. That 92-93 season when they were both rookies was out of this world. And there was the NHL '94 for the Sega, which of course still ranks as the best hockey video game of all time. They were all so good in that game biggrin

#4419171 - 05/04/18 08:17 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Always liked the Bruins and the Leafs. Growing up we got all the Leaf games in on CBC Channel 9 Windsor. I remember when NBC did Saturday afternoon games in the 1970's (remember Peter Puck?). I actually got to see a Flyers game in the old Spectrum way back. It was a rowdy crowd for sure. I remember every street hockey goalie was Bernie Parent when I was young. I fear my Wings are going back to the Dead Wings of that era.

#4419189 - 05/04/18 10:06 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ahh, Detroit burbs, yes the Wings. Sorry.

In that case it's Federov, Lidstrom, and of course Stevie Y. I even had a sort of admiration for Probert, his off-ice troubles aside. He was the anti-Domi. Where Domi picked on smaller guys and non-fighters, Probert was the real goon deal. As tough as they come. He and Dave Brown had some good fights smile

#4419212 - 05/05/18 01:20 AM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Marchand is licking guys again out there. That is the strangest thing I have ever seen. He is going to lose his tongue out there when someone upper cuts him when it's out. Way too weird....

Last edited by LB4LB; 05/05/18 01:21 AM.
#4419227 - 05/05/18 05:08 AM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: LB4LB]  
Marc Offline
Marc  Offline

Corona, California
The Bruins are in big caca
Originally Posted by LB4LB
Marchand is licking guys again out there. That is the strangest thing I have ever seen. He is going to lose his tongue out there when someone upper cuts him when it's out. Way too weird....

Not for long

Marc..

HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-8GB-250GB-Windows7, GTX1050 -X45+Rudder Pedals, Playseat Challenge
#4419266 - 05/05/18 08:25 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada

Where Domi picked on smaller guys and non-fighters, Probert was the real goon deal. As tough as they come. He and Dave Brown had some good fights smile

Wow, I never read such a ridiculous statement. Tie Domi is 5' 8" 213lbs, and he fought anyone including Probert. Your Red Wing colored glasses are impairing your judgment.
BTW Probert was 6'3" 230lbs

#4419268 - 05/05/18 08:35 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Here's the hero at his finest biggrin

I guess Probert wasn't at this game and ya gotta fight somebody

I stick by what I said. I didn't say he didn't fight tough guys, he didn't run away. But he definitely looked to beat up on those less fortunate. I bet if I searched enough I''d find a video of him picking a fight with LaFontaine biggrin

#4419269 - 05/05/18 08:37 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Here's the hero at his finest biggrin

I guess Probert wasn't at this game and ya gotta fight somebody

I stick by what I said. I didn't say he didn't fight tough guys, he didn't run away. But he definitely looked to beat up on those less fortunate. I bet if I searched enough I''d find a video of him picking a fight with LaFontaine biggrin

I get it, you hate Tie Domi.

#4419270 - 05/05/18 08:41 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
This is true. And Pat Quinn too, rest his soul.

Big Sundin fan however smile

#4419274 - 05/05/18 09:07 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Originally Posted by WangoTango

Where Domi picked on smaller guys and non-fighters, Probert was the real goon deal. As tough as they come. He and Dave Brown had some good fights smile

Wow, I never read such a ridiculous statement. Tie Domi is 5' 8" 213lbs, and he fought anyone including Probert. Your Red Wing colored glasses are impairing your judgment.
BTW Probert was 6'3" 230lbs

I was at that first fight. I will say one thing about Domi, he can take a punch. Probert would get many solid hits to Domi's face/head and it didn't seem to faze him. Most others went straight to the ice, and were eating apple sauce for a week. Probert and Kocur got a lot of people up out of their seats. That guy who got himself into the penalty box is lucky he didn't get himself killed.

#4419278 - 05/05/18 09:34 PM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I ruffled some Leaf feathers, but don't misunderstand me. Domi was tough. Great fighter. It's just that my perception of him is that he picked fights with guys who weren't fighters. Not that he backed down from those who were. And that inevitably led to him fighting later with whoever was that team's enforcer. He fought Probert, Ray, Leroux, Brown ,Grimson and all those guys. I'm not questioning Domi's toughness, just how he projected it on the ice (and off as the fan fight shows).

#4419290 - 05/06/18 12:43 AM Re: NHL Stanley Cup playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I always respected the Detroit Red Wings, no really hate for any of them, save Dino Ciccarelli. Especially in the playoffs, he always seem to have his ass in Potvin's face. Loved Pat Quinn. Sundin was a great Leaf, just would have liked to see him get pissed off once in awhile. Show some heart like Gilmour or Clark.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.