Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4414733 - 04/04/18 09:23 PM Is an AI crew worth it?  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I know some ships allow you to take on one or two AI crew and it seems like all they're good for is piloting fighters? And it seems like only one AI-controlled fighter can launch at once, can't have two out? I also thought that AI crew meant one extra pip, but someone says this isn't the case?

So what exactly is an AI crew good for? Are they worth the loss in credits? Can you hear them talking to you if they're in the fighter or see them in the cockpit?

- Ice
#4414754 - 04/04/18 09:56 PM Re: Is an AI crew worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
As I recall, the extra PIP only comes into play when using Multi-crew (with another player, not AI).

I take an NPC crew along here and there. When doing combat in ships that allow, they are a decent addition to my overall combat strength. My FGS I'm toying with for anti-Thargoid play has a spot for an AX-Taipan for an NPC crew to run interference for me. And yes, the crew does talk, calling out when their target is down, or when there is a group of hostiles engaging. They are not seen in the cockpit, however, which is unfortunate IMO.

While I'm out exploring, I sometimes have an NPC crew aboard my Keelback, so when I'm out exploring the surface close and fast, the crew can follow me in the ship (which is also useful if scoring Iron-Man eject tables).

Whether the cost is worth it will be different for each CMDR. I don't miss the bits of money I've paid my crew. A good experience for my money!

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4414761 - 04/04/18 10:12 PM Re: Is an AI crew worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Yeah, I wouldn't mind the cost but the benefit has to be worth the cost. I don't mind paying but I don't like giving free rides, even if it is only AI.

I would've given them a good consideration if they did give an extra pip, but if all they're good for at the moment is piloting fighters or babysitting my ship while I'm in an SRV, then, I dunno. I don't do SRV and my current pew-pew is a Python which I don't think can carry a fighter bay. If I do go to an Anaconda, I may give one a try, but aside from that, I guess there's no reason to get an AI crew?

- Ice
#4414779 - 04/05/18 12:10 AM Re: Is an AI crew worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by - Ice
If I do go to an Anaconda, I may give one a try, but aside from that, I guess there's no reason to get an AI crew?

That'll really depend on your build.

My FGS is designed around it, so I'm committing internal space and armor potential to the AI crew and SLF. But that's really the main reason I built the FGS, was to play with SLF and AI crew combat as an integral part of the ship's firepower. The Keelback is another idea for this kind of platform.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4414835 - 04/05/18 11:25 AM Re: Is an AI crew worth it? [Re: adlabs6]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by adlabs6
Originally Posted by - Ice
If I do go to an Anaconda, I may give one a try, but aside from that, I guess there's no reason to get an AI crew?

That'll really depend on your build.

My FGS is designed around it, so I'm committing internal space and armor potential to the AI crew and SLF. But that's really the main reason I built the FGS, was to play with SLF and AI crew combat as an integral part of the ship's firepower. The Keelback is another idea for this kind of platform.

EXACTLY why I am flying the FGS.

I find the Fighter very helpful and I raised my pilot up to ELITE level. I barely notice the 10% credit drain smile

I wish Frontier would come up with some mechanic to allow the million of credits in the Fighter Pilot's account to be used for SOMETHING. Even for buying new fighters, or paying the cost of Restocking when one gets destroyed..

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4414836 - 04/05/18 11:37 AM Re: Is an AI crew worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think it's a rich man's game. When you're flush with cash, you should feel you've moved up in the galaxy, and having some hired help seems like it would provide some sense of cachet. For others, like me, still trying to achieve that success, the 10% would be more keenly felt, and they get their money as long as they are in your employ, even if they aren't going out on the mission. Still, it isn't that much of a hit.

I think I read that having a good AI crew can allow you to fly the fighter, while the AI takes over your ship and fights it well. That seems like a cool change of pace when you've got a big gunboat. Defending your own ship would be fun.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4414858 - 04/05/18 02:00 PM Re: Is an AI crew worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
I've never tried that..too worried about the AI's ability to fight the ship even though she is ELITE. Might have to test it out sometime if I can isolate a fairly weak target unlikely to damage my ship during the time I am out of it. I haven't put in hardly ANY fighter time other than the Training Mission and some disastrous attempts at CQC...

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4414861 - 04/05/18 03:10 PM Re: Is an AI crew worth it? [Re: - Ice]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
You can switch to and from the remote control fighter any time. So you can send the AI crew out in it, then swap in for some shooting, and back to the main ship immediately when you want, and the AI will swap roles. No need to re-dock the fighter, as it's remote controlled.

It's been a while since I did this, but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.