DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Time for a new ship thread!

[Linked Image]

With my bank balance on the rise, my long-time goal of becoming the owner of a shiny new Python is nearing fruition. Everyone knows someone who buys an old beater and keeps it in the garage or the barn and works on it on the weekends. After 3 or 4 years the thing is ready to hit the road. That's my Python. I don't have anywhere near enough money to make it good. But I thought I would keep it in the garage and work on it occasionally until it's ready to hit the spaceways.

My plan is to make it in to a heavily armed merchant cruiser and materials gathering vehicle. A top Python is 200m credits. But I thought about what sort of Python could be built on a budget and I threw this together. The weapons are mostly a placeholder until I know more about hardpoint placement and so on. It's all D-rated essentially, with a SRV and a mining laser. Only the FSD is A-rated at the moment, and I can engineer that for additional jump range. Will probably throw some limpets in there eventually.

Unengineered jump range is 21, it carries 192 tons of cargo, shields 448mj. Not too bad for 68 million, and that becomes 58m at a Li Yong Rui station. It's far from optimal, but the wallet isn't fat enough for that, just yet. And it could be fun improving it by bits and bobs. And who knows, maybe I'll hate it and want to sell it.

Starter Python

Attached Files python.jpg

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4413313 - 03/28/18 04:39 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Sounds pretty nice! Lots you can do without a big weapons loadout. Combat isn't the main function of the game anyway.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4413324 - 03/28/18 05:20 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, agreed. I've already got a FDL, Vulture and Courier. The Courier is quickly becoming my favorite ship. So any combat capability in the Python will be defensive (or at least opportunistic) in nature. I won't purposely fly it in to RES sites, at least until I've dropped another 100m on it smile

My plan is to use it for mat gathering and cargo runs. The merchant cruiser concept I have in my head. A bubble-runner. Three class 6 and two class 5 optionals are amazing, and allow this ship to be whatever you want it to be. It's poor maneuverability and speed means I have little inclination to fly it in combat. Maybe once I'm at the bottom of the engineering rabbit hole I will think about it. Engineered thrusters would be a requirement, and I'm a long way from there.

It's probably the finest looking ship in Elite to my eye, and maybe also the most versatile? Owning one would allow me to purpose-fit my Asp for exploration, and maybe passenger missions if I find the Python ill-suited for those. With the lower jump range I think the Asp will still be used for sightseeing at least.

I may sell the FDL if I take to the Python, and buy another one later. That would give me the funds to do more with the Python. I think I will be really disappointed with class D thrusters in this ship.

#4413341 - 03/28/18 06:39 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Python was my end-game ship initially smile I just find this ship the best looking in Elite and I love the hardpoint placement too. It's a multi-purpose ship IIRC so it's not as gimped as combat ships in terms of jump range but it's bad-ass in a fight too. With Size 3 MCs, I was excited initially but I think Frontier must've nerfed the multi-cannons while I was away. The large hardpoint is on the underside but with a chin placement compared to a belly placement as in the FDL, the tracking is way, way better.

Makes me want to buy the Tactical paint pack and putting Tactical Ice on it smile

- Ice
#4413345 - 03/28/18 06:52 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
How much do those paint schemes cost in real world ducats?

#4413352 - 03/28/18 07:28 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
My Python is mainly a cargo/Passenger vehicle with a good jump range courtesy of D-rating and Engineering. Had it blown out from under me several times during one Wing Cargo mission. Considering how formidable it can be when Combat Configured, I feel like I am flying around in a tissue paper ship. In my defense, one of those interdictions, I submitted, but the game acted as if I hadn't so by the time I got my FSD back online I was torn to shreds frown

Paint schemes vary in price but I think the packs (Tactical/Military) are about $4 for a set (tactical/military etc) and $3 apiece for fancy ones. More for Ship kits ($12) that add funny doodads..

https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/game-extras.html?ship_model=26

I bought the Tactical Packs for FGS and Python during a 20% off sale...

P.S. Your Starter Python looks a lot like mine actually. I think I have an even SMALLER shield to pack in more cargo. I am at 264 tons. Mostly do short hauls so I took out the Fuel Scoop as well. If I configure for Passengers, I put the Scoop back in. Sometimes combine the two with a couple of cabins and the rest Cargo Racks.

Recluse_Cargo Python

Last edited by Recluse; 03/28/18 07:44 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4413354 - 03/28/18 07:45 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the info Recluse.

How do you like the ship?

What sort of passenger missions are you running? Transport and sightseeing? What's your jump range?

I just noticed that I have an SRV in that build, but no planetary landing suite.

I see your jump range in your build.

Last edited by DBond; 03/28/18 07:46 PM.

#4413366 - 03/28/18 09:09 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

What? They have a 20% off sale? When did that happen?

- Ice
#4413388 - 03/29/18 12:33 AM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I used EDDB to search for the closest LRY system that sold the Python.. Starlace Station in Minerva came up. Same station I bought the FDL. But I have a short memory, because this station has a great ship selection amd LYR discount, but poor outfitting.

Flew there and sold off most of what I could from the FDL. I really like the FDL, and if I were forced to choose just one combat ship that would be it. I will buy another. I've really taken a shine to the Courier and am flying it for RES hunting more and more. Plus I have the Vulture which is simply more fun to fly than the Fer-de-Lance. The FDL is the best all around combat ship I've flown, hands down. But it's also quite valuable, and I decided to skip over the starter Python and go for a mid-range model. Couldn't sell off every core internal because of no stock, but traded the hulk for the Python and a 4m credit, err, credit.

Takao

Named after the Japanese heavy cruiser. Callsign Tango Alpha Kilo. Love that stuff smile My ships are named after WW2 warships and I go with ships somewhat comparable in class. The Courier is named after a destroyer for instance and the just-sold FDL was named after another cruiser, Undaunted. If I get a Corvette or Anaconda, it will be battleships from which I select the name.

Anyway, with some extra funds I was able to do some good with the build, and not just D-rate it. Currently outfitted with SRV and collector limpets, 160t of cargo, the scanners I need. Multi-role indeed. But I had to leave Starlace to get most of this stuff and it was a struggle just to reach a jump range of 10 light years with what they had on hand. So avoid Starlace for bigger ships is my advice. Once I got it to 10 I could actually plot a route to a different station to get the rest of what I needed. It's essentially A-rated, aside from power plant and sensors. I have enough to buy the 33m PP, but not enough to cover the 5m re-buy too. So that will need to wait. I'm under the power limit as it is. The 7A PP gives a whopping 5 MW increase over the 7C I have in there. So still plenty of room to grow with this ship.

The 5A FSD got a grade one range modification and I didn't reflect that in my Coriolis build, but jump range now stands at 20.

When I took it out of Starlace to go find some decent parts, I wasn't prepared for the woeful pitch authority. Ya gotta understand this is the biggest ship I've flown, and it's not nimble at all. With 6E thrusters anyway.I knew it lacked maneuverability, but that was even less than I had imagined. I now have 6A but decided to post before I took it out again. Gotta go find some sulphur to engineer the Courier's power plant so I can make it my wake scan ship. So who knows how long it would have been before I could let everyone know I have a Python? biggrin

I put turreted Pulse Lasers on the roof. I've never used a turreted weapon, but I guessed they may be a good choice if I can't ever pull lead on a target. Multi-cannons are in the other hardpoints, all gimballed. If I do some mining, which is likely at some point, the mining laser would go on the chin.

6A shields with two A boosters gives 557mj which is workable. This isn't my combat ship, but you never know who may jump you. So it's 114m as outfitted on Coriolis, but 97 at Li Yong Rui, and after a few missions the power plant will get upgraded, bringing it to 130 if done in a LYR system. It's a beautiful ship, and I love the versatility. I can see why folks make this their main ride. What can't it do at least well? Like the F-16 it's jack of all trades, master of none. But being the best jack of all trades is probably a quality all it's own. Not a fan of the cockpit because of the lack of overhead visibility and the crossbar. That's like the place I spend half my time looking out of in other ships, or so it seems. I've never hit a star, but if I do, it will be in a Python.

#4413398 - 03/29/18 02:26 AM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by - Ice
What? They have a 20% off sale? When did that happen?

It was a long time ago.. Nov 2017 smile Holiday sale.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413400 - 03/29/18 02:30 AM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by DBond
I used EDDB to search for the closest LRY system that sold the Python.. Starlace Station in Minerva came up. Same station I bought the FDL. But I have a short memory, because this station has a great ship selection amd LYR discount, but poor outfitting.

Guess it depends on your Home system but the closet LYR systems to me where I usually buy ships and outfitting is Lichtenberg Terminal in ANU, Hawking Port in Maikoro or Papin City in 7 Andromedae

Don't remember where I bought the Python, but it was during a CG when I decided to join the Cargo CG as well as the Bounty Hunting CG and needed a bigger Cargo hauler..

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413415 - 03/29/18 05:19 AM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
alexb Offline
alexb  Offline

Portugal
What can I say,
My Python can do 433, can jump 28Ly, can load 226 Tons of cargo and with shield of 1480 Mj. And all of this without have to change any module and on a medium size ship.

Its the ultimate multi-purpose ship. I have mine for a long time and is finally A-rated and with some engineers upgrades also. It can't mach any of the big threes on pure grinding (both cargo and combat) but as an all around ship is second to none.
It took me a lot of time to have it as it is now but it worth every penny.
Even fully loaded, I can deal on one on one with every AI ship, whatever rank. This says alot of this ship.

My Python

Last edited by alexb; 03/29/18 05:27 AM.
#4413423 - 03/29/18 08:27 AM Re: Python [Re: alexb]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

My LYR stations are bookmarked. Why should I have to remember anything? biggrin There are two stations that sell most ships I want, and then there are two nearby systems with stations that have most modules that I want. Would be nice if there was a one-stop-shop for everything, but that's called Founder's World and I don't have access to that yet frown

The 5A FSD got a grade one range modification and I didn't reflect that in my Coriolis build, but jump range now stands at 20.

Yeah, Coriolis is poor with mods. If you use the Beta Coriolis site, it's slightly better but it still can't do mods and experimental effects. My suggestion for now is to use ED Shipyard and use their "new look" site, that place is awesome!! No import/export stuff yet though but the dev said he's working on those right now smile

With 6E thrusters anyway.I knew it lacked maneuverability, but that was even less than I had imagined. I now have 6A but decided to post before I took it out again.

Leave your expectations at the door when you get a new ship, especially when you are comparing an old A-rated one with a new non-A-rated one.

Maneuverability aside, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Python's ability to put weapons on target based on weapon hardpoint placement compared to the FLD. Might be nice if you used the same types of weapons as with the FDL.

the mining laser would go on the chin.

Waste of hardpoint. You'll want two mining lasers at least, and they only come up to Size 2 (Medium). And you may want more than 3 collector limpets out otherwise you'd be waiting beside your empty asteroid for quite some time.

Not a fan of the cockpit because of the lack of overhead visibility and the crossbar.

That's a very interesting critique coming from someone who's just flown a FDL. Makes me start to wonder if they've changed the FDL's canopy frames?

Originally Posted by Recluse
It was a long time ago.. Nov 2017 smile Holiday sale.

Bummer! Well, £3 for a skin pack isn't too much, but I want a few packs. Damn this game. Where is RK so I can properly blame him for my sudden lack of productivity???!!?!?!?

Originally Posted by alexb
Its the ultimate multi-purpose ship. I have mine for a long time

This man speaks the truth! I've always said the Python was my initial end-goal ship and that was just based on looks; I didn't know much of the game at that time so I simply chose it based on the sexy build. When I got the ship, it never disappointed me at all, which is saying a lot and I'm looking at you, FDL!!

In my other thread, I'm considering getting a second Python so I can keep one in a pew-pew fit and keep another in a miner fit and so far, I don't see any downsides to this idea.

It can't mach any of the big threes on pure grinding (both cargo and combat) but as an all around ship is second to none.

What are the big threes?

- Ice
#4413424 - 03/29/18 08:29 AM Re: Python [Re: alexb]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Why burst and pulse? You have lots of power for beam lasers.

- Ice
#4413427 - 03/29/18 09:25 AM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
alexb Offline
alexb  Offline

Portugal
Big threes: Anaconda, Corvette and Cutter.

Why burst and pulse? You have lots of power for beam lasers.

Beam lasers are much more thirsty to power distributor than bursts and pulse and when I build my Python, there weren't available "efficient" upgrade to lasers so with my current build I have 13 seconds of continuos fire with 106.3 of DPS and if I replaced my burst and pulse for beams I'll have 7.5 seconds of continuous fire with 96.1 DPS, a much weaker punch. I know I'm comparing engineered weapons to stock ones but has I sad a few months ago there weren't any engineer upgrades to Beams to make them less thirsty. With current "efficient" upgrade, beam lasers are much more interesting but even so I always check these numbers to ensure I have the best balance damage/time of continuous fire.

Last edited by alexb; 03/29/18 09:27 AM.
#4413433 - 03/29/18 10:16 AM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

And what does each of the big three ship do? I'm guessing Corvette for pew-pew, Cutter for mining/trading, and Annie for multi-role?

As for DPS, are you tracking enemies for longer than 7 seconds? Also, swapping for Beams with the same mod level (Overcharged 3-4), you get 121.3 DPS for 5.2s, useful for those jousting attacks. If you can track enemies for longer, then fair enough.

- Ice
#4413450 - 03/29/18 11:42 AM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Thanks for the info Recluse.

How do you like the ship?

What sort of passenger missions are you running? Transport and sightseeing? What's your jump range?

I just noticed that I have an SRV in that build, but no planetary landing suite.

I see your jump range in your build.

Realized I never answered the Passenger Question:

Not sure what the state of Passenger Missions is at present, but when they were first introduced, they were very lucrative. I basically took VIP's and Tourist for 1-2 jumps worth of transport for MILLIONS of credits per mission, stacking 3 or 4 at a pop to the same or nearby systems. Occasional sightseeing missions if the Payout was good and the one-way Jump was 100 LY or less to the tourist beacon. Was pulling down 20-30 million per night of play. Nothing compared to the various exploits that have come and gone, but very steady and profitable.

Lately I have only done a few and the multi-million credit runs for short hops (at least for NON-CRIMINALS) had dried up. I read that they supposedly buffed them back up for 3.04 so I will take another look. Been mainly using HIGH PAYING Transport missions for Credits. Getting nice runs for shipping 180 tons of Palladium and the like for 1 jump at 6-8 million credits. Mainly finding them at Extraction economies (Liu Baja is closest to my 'home' system). With 264 tons in the Python, I can sometimes find another mission for 75-80 tons of something for a few million more in the same trip.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413452 - 03/29/18 11:54 AM Re: Python [Re: alexb]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
What can I say,
My Python can do 433, can jump 28Ly, can load 226 Tons of cargo and with shield of 1480 Mj. And all of this without have to change any module and on a medium size ship.

Its the ultimate multi-purpose ship. I have mine for a long time and is finally A-rated and with some engineers upgrades also. It can't mach any of the big threes on pure grinding (both cargo and combat) but as an all around ship is second to none.
It took me a lot of time to have it as it is now but it worth every penny.
Even fully loaded, I can deal on one on one with every AI ship, whatever rank. This says alot of this ship.

My Python

Nice!! I guess I ought to buff my Python a bit and sacrifice a few tons for the security of knowing I can kick butt on interdictions...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413453 - 03/29/18 11:55 AM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Recluse, I've been doing the same, and now that I have the Python, I can kick my bus mission game up a notch.

Wow alex, that's awesome and I hope my Python gets there too.

Ice, the cockpit is way worse than the FDL, for me. The FDL might be a little annoying, blocking the distance timer or whatever. The Python blocks entire planets. I spend alot of time flying 'inverted', especially when landing, or flying around stars, and looking out of the top of the canopy. All of my ships have great overhead visibility, except the Python. I can forgive this, but I'd pay millions to have at least a sunroof installed.

#4413455 - 03/29/18 12:02 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
alexb Offline
alexb  Offline

Portugal
Ice,
These big threes are so big and powerfull that any of them can do combat and trade very well, but you are right. Cutter being the sluggish but faster and with big cargo is better at trading. And corvette and anaconda are a bit more multi-role being the corvette the best fighter and anaconda a bit better all around. Anaconda is also the best explorer money can buy.
My corvette can carry over 500 tones so is also ok at trading wink.

Honestly I never count how many seconds I stayed in sight with one target but I know that when I'm on an heavy fight, power distributor becomes an issue very fast. No matter how big and powerfull is your ship you should always care about efficiency. Having 13 seconds of fire over 5 or 6, means even if you didn't drain all your power, you'll have half the time to fully recover because you waste half the energy and if we talk about less that 4 pips on guns, which is desirable on many situations, this issue becomes even more important.
There are a lot of situations in where you have to fire a lot of time before your target is dead. If he's faster and using boom'n zoom against you and putting distance between both, your lasers become much less deadly. Over 1000 m, Laser, no matter size, almost don't do any damage meaning you have to fire for a long time to slowly melt its shield. If he's using chaffs the same. You have to continuous fire for a long time to let some of the hits count. If he is bigger the same or if you fighting a wing. Almost every heavy combat situation requires a lot of firing time. And if your guns suck half the power, than that means half the time to recover.
When fighting one kill ships, Beams are better because your targets die faster, but I always finetune my ship to heavy hard combat, because there's where I can die.

Last edited by alexb; 03/29/18 12:07 PM.
#4413457 - 03/29/18 12:40 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I agree with you there, however, I doubt that you'll be tracking for all of 13 seconds. With jousting, even if you empty your capacitor on the joust, you're back at full-cap once you're ready to attack again anyway, right? At least that's what I think; I'm no expert on this so would appreciate input smile

Might be nice to get your thoughts on it if you were mindful of tracking time and capacitor use. Again, I agree that continous fire of 13 seconds is better, but if you're only tracking for 6 seconds, 13 seconds capacitor capacity is overkill. Shorter fire but more damage. The question is do you track for more? or less? than 6-7 seconds?

- Ice
#4413458 - 03/29/18 12:41 PM Re: Python [Re: alexb]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Anaconda is also the best explorer money can buy.

Got a fit for this? I agree it's crazy for module slots, but what about jump range?
It better be good for the price!!

- Ice
#4413461 - 03/29/18 12:57 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm not a master post-quoter like Ice is, so forgive me. So many things I want to address, or that were addressed to me, and I will fail to address,

Waste of hardpoint. You'll want two mining lasers at least, and they only come up to Size 2 (Medium). And you may want more than 3 collector limpets out otherwise you'd be waiting beside your empty asteroid for quite some time.

Thanks, that's really good to know. I've not used a mining laser and didn't realize I couldn't just throw a class 3 on there. The limpets are for gathering flotsam in RES sites, or that was my idea anyway, to scavenge the remnants of the dogfights.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Python's ability to put weapons on target based on weapon hardpoint placement compared to the FLD. Might be nice if you used the same types of weapons as with the FDL.

No problem, though I'm not sure when I will take it in to combat. As soon as I need a mat that can be found there I suppose smile

The 6A thrusters helped a lot of course, and I will put G1 Dirty Drives on it tonight.

#4413463 - 03/29/18 01:12 PM Re: Python [Re: Recluse]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Guess it depends on your Home system but the closet LYR systems to me where I usually buy ships and outfitting is Lichtenberg Terminal in ANU, Hawking Port in Maikoro or Papin City in 7 Andromedae

Thanks for the tips. Ice mentioned Founder's World, but within 150 LY of Sol, what is the absolute best shipyard and outfitting station? Is there one?

#4413503 - 03/29/18 03:52 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I'm not a master post-quoter like Ice is,

Haha! Funny how that can annoy a lot of people in... ahem... other sub-forums smile

Thanks, that's really good to know. I've not used a mining laser and didn't realize I couldn't just throw a class 3 on there. The limpets are for gathering flotsam in RES sites, or that was my idea anyway, to scavenge the remnants of the dogfights.

Same thing. smile More limpets out = faster collection, that's all. Some people even advocate 3 mining lasers and that just means you'll drain the rock/asteroid quicker, but I don't see the point if the limpets cannot keep up. I had 6 collector limpets out when I was mining in my Cutter and even with just 2 mining lasers, the limpets couldn't keep up.

No problem, though I'm not sure when I will take it in to combat. As soon as I need a mat that can be found there I suppose smile

Your Grade 3 FSD mod requires those.

The 6A thrusters helped a lot of course, and I will put G1 Dirty Drives on it tonight.

Ugh!! That just sounds.... dirty biggrin

Thanks for the tips. Ice mentioned Founder's World, but within 150 LY of Sol, what is the absolute best shipyard and outfitting station? Is there one?

Jameson Memorial in Shinrarta Dezhra. Outside of that, well, it's anybody's guess, I think. My old base has 15 of the 33 ships, so not bad, but even then, it doesn't have all weapons/modules. You'll want to find large population High Tech systems to start with.

- Ice
#4413516 - 03/29/18 04:33 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Jameson Memorial always seems to have the best choice I’ve seen. Cons are that you need a permit to dock there and no discounts. Since I’m lazy, er efficient, I’d rather pay more than fly around trying to save some credits. Of course, once I start buying the BIG boys, I might change my tune. Also, JM has ALL the modules, I believe.

#4413531 - 03/29/18 05:16 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Anaconda is also the best explorer money can buy.

Got a fit for this? I agree it's crazy for module slots, but what about jump range?
It better be good for the price!!

The Anaconda is a ship that does well at exploring with nearly any fit. I've had mine with SRV, SLF, Class 7 fuel scoop, and all the scanners, decently light weight on the core modules, and it does fine. Even room for a Passenger Cabin or two, for those long range explorer missions that pay quite nicely. With an FSD boost from a neutron star, I think I was making jumps of around 225LY, IIRC.

The Keeback is my preferred explorer, however. All the toys I want, with far more enjoyable handling.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4413534 - 03/29/18 05:40 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
See? And we don't even have a Keelback thread! Who knew it was a good explorer (aside from Adlabs that is)?

Don't make me start one.

#4413545 - 03/29/18 06:32 PM Re: Python [Re: adlabs6]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Bohemond
and no discounts.

I thought JM had discounts? 10% or 15%?

Originally Posted by adlabs6
The Anaconda is a ship that does well at exploring with nearly any fit.

It's okay for exploring but obviously there are better ships out there. The biggest advantage of the Annie is the 11 Optional slots it has. Versatility.

The Keeback is my preferred explorer, however. All the toys I want, with far more enjoyable handling.

Hmmm... have you considered the DBE? Cheaper to start with and a 5A FSD.

- Ice
#4413547 - 03/29/18 06:39 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
No discounts that I’m aware of. Although, never really looked it up.

#4413554 - 03/29/18 06:59 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Founder's World/Jameson is 10%, plus maybe the 2.5% global Elite discount?

#4413558 - 03/29/18 07:12 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Don't you have to be Elite to even get a Permit???

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413561 - 03/29/18 07:29 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Hmm... never knew about the %10 discount. Nice.
Recluse, I believe I got my permit for Shinrarta Dehzra for being in Beta. Same as my Sol permit.

#4413563 - 03/29/18 07:37 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, you need a permit, which you get for reaching any Elite rank. I think kickstarters also get one.

As we were talking about in another thread there also appears to be a 2.5% discount applied globally once you've reached Elite in any discipline, as per the Pilot's Federation Wiki.

I do not know if it can be combined with any other offer. Like if you go to Jameson, is it actually 12.5%?

Last edited by DBond; 03/29/18 08:01 PM.

#4413708 - 03/30/18 01:54 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Forget the following that I said earlier:

1. Will keep it in the garage to work on in bits and bobs
2. Not taking it in to RES sites right away

It's A-rated and G1 engineered. Dirty Drives give it some pep and make it handle oh so much better. It hits hard. I have two large turreted pulse lasers, a large MC and two medium MCs. Seemed to make much quicker work of small ships than the FDL did. I don't know much about weapons in Elite, but one large and two medium multi-cannons must be much stronger than 4 mediums. Probably something to do with penetration of the large MC?

So offensively it is awesome. But at one point I got in to a bit of a bind, and without the speed and maneuverability of my other combat ships I got my shield shot away. "taking damage' was the first I knew of it, it happened so quickly. Hull down to 77% before I made my escape. I only had enough to afford one re-buy so I got out of there. My shields are at 557mj, and I engineered the two boosters, one for augmented and one for thermal. But since I'm now a bigger, less maneuverable target, I need to work on improving this. Shame the Python only has 4 utilities.

#4413710 - 03/30/18 01:58 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Shield Cell Banks and Heatsinks smile
I've always used the normal shields, never liked the idea of bi-weave that's weaker but recharges quicker. I like the quick recharge, yes, but not the weaker shield. Maybe try the Prismatic shield?

- Ice
#4413712 - 03/30/18 02:02 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, maybe the prismatic. Lord knows I have the power for it now! Bugger's precious though.

#4413719 - 03/30/18 02:27 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

**cough!**trading**cough!**mining**cough!**

- Ice
#4413774 - 03/30/18 05:16 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
A Cautionary Tale about being Pennywise and Pound Foolish:

Last night I took my Tissue Paper Python around for High Paying Transport Missions.

Went to Liu Baja and straight away found a short haul mission for 180 tons of Gold paying 6.7 million and stacked another mission paying about 1.4 million for hauling Silver.

Things were looking good!!

Went back and couldn't find any other similarly priced missions, but found a 3 million credit haul...and stacked another 1 million onto it...

Life was good.

Longish story shorter:

1) The RNG seemed to be rolling against me as I was not finding the missions any more. Decided to take some SCAN missions and some other ~million credit hauls and check the other stations....
2) Got interdicted going between stations and STUPIDLY tried to LOW WAKE my way out. While I left the Anaconda in the dust, his fighter kept hitting me and Goodbye Ship....
3) I respawned in a Detention Center, because, failing some missions is apparently a CRIME and had to pay not only my REBUY, but a fine equal to the 1.4 million credit mission reward for losing the cargo. Of course I also lost Failed my not yet done SCAN missions and lost all the bounties I had accumulated while I waited to get to the Interstellar Factor. ALSO FAILING the missions dropped my REP with my HOME System faction down from ALLIED to FRIENDLY making more missions harder to come by
4) Desperately flew around seeking high paying missions to make up my deficit.... Found some good ones, luckily until....
5) Another interdiction... This time, I set the NAV for a HIgh wake and Submitted.....BUT... the GAME didn't recognize the submission and kept me squirreling around until dropping out and getting blown to bits while waiting out the FSD cooldown.. Lost about 4 million worth of missions, Rebuy + million credit fines AGAIN...
6) By the end of the night, disgusted and frustrated, and 2 hours past my desired bedtime I was back up to where I was before the FIRST Interdiction. (but still up about 12-15 million on the night)

If only I had spent the money on hardening the Python's shields and Armor. It would have paid for itself in successful missions!!!

cuss cuss cuss banghead

Last edited by Recluse; 03/30/18 05:19 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413778 - 03/30/18 05:25 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wow!!

pay not only my REBUY, but a fine equal to the 1.4 million credit mission reward for losing the cargo

Oh my. I had no idea.

#4413786 - 03/30/18 05:41 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Thank you for the story Recluse, love reading such - well, despite the hardship you suffered.
This makes me somewhat happier flying around at my nubbery level, I can't lose as much as your guys.
Alas, one soon realise this game continues to haunt us credit wise, just on a bigger scale when getting bigger smile

There's no end of game here, ever, right?

More stories please biggrin

#4413791 - 03/30/18 05:56 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Wow!!

pay not only my REBUY, but a fine equal to the 1.4 million credit mission reward for losing the cargo

Oh my. I had no idea.

I still don't know WTF happened!!! The second time I didn't end up in a detention center, but still had to pay a milliion+ for the failed Mission(s). Maybe the first time I had some leftover fine that I forgot about from some Scan Missions that landed me in detention... I was afraid the detention center was going to be 1000 LY from my home, but luckily it wasn't too far..

I hate it, but I guess if I am losing 180 tons of Palladium entrusted to me, I probably should have to pay it back...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413793 - 03/30/18 05:58 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

You will have to furnish us with your Python fit. I cannot believe this ship to be that squishy. We need to learn where you went wrong so as not to repeat it.

- Ice
#4413794 - 03/30/18 06:00 PM Re: Python [Re: theOden]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by theOden
Alas, one soon realise this game continues to haunt us credit wise, just on a bigger scale when getting bigger smile

Not really wink

- Ice
#4413802 - 03/30/18 06:17 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
You will have to furnish us with your Python fit. I cannot believe this ship to be that squishy. We need to learn where you went wrong so as not to repeat it.

It's linked upthread a ways....

3A shields and Lightweight Alloys.

The irony is I packed it full of Cargo Racks for a CG and some Wing Missions. Since then, I haven't needed to fill up the space for my high value Cargo missions. I could have, of course, but was trying to maximize profit vs. time by only going to one Station/System if possible for all the missions.

Also, I probably would have done better to turn and fight, then burn past the guy to get into supercruise making him turn again rather than getting into the Tail chase scenario.

Last edited by Recluse; 03/30/18 06:18 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413804 - 03/30/18 06:22 PM Re: Python [Re: Recluse]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Oh my god! Why? Why fit the absolute smallest shield you can fit? No wonder you're dead as soon as a pilot sneezes your way!

- Ice
#4413806 - 03/30/18 06:24 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ

Oh my god! Why? Why fit the absolute smallest shield you can fit? No wonder you're dead as soon as a pilot sneezes your way!

Cramming in more Cargo and got over confident having been able to either escape Interdiction or go for very long periods without ever being Interdicted. I think the later versions have become more "Dangerous"

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413807 - 03/30/18 06:31 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Your fit shows a 4A shield gen. You downgraded to a 3A?

I feel like skimping on shields is like skimping on the power supply when making a new PC. You do realize that when it fails, it can take the whole stup with it, right? After the first few interdictions where my Type-9 quickly lost shields and then was disabled (FSD and thrusters), I would only bring the next-level-down if I was trying to get more cargo, so if the biggest slot was a size 6, I'd bring a size 5. Also always bring chaff and heatsink and drop chaff or both as I run away.... but a few times I was interdicted by a fast ship and couldn't really outrun him, and that's why a good set of shields are priceless.

Well, lessons learned the hard way are the best teachers, I guess! Hope you had enough for the re-buy!

- Ice
#4413808 - 03/30/18 06:33 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Ahh sorry, 4A. Actually I did have a 3A on there for awhile but I swapped it out.

Here's my proposed "Hardened Cargo Python"

Hardened Cargo Python

Jump range really suffers, but I haven't been doing anything but really short hops anyway..

PLENTY of credits for the Rebuys, just frustrating because I set a Credit GOAL for the night, and just as I got there, I got bumped down and had to spend more time getting back. Saving money for the CORVETTE so I can haul Cargo and kick the crap out of would be interdictors...

Last edited by Recluse; 03/30/18 06:38 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413812 - 03/30/18 06:51 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Always have enough for the re-buy smile Almost lost my Cutter due to this.

If you want a Corvetter for cargo, why not go for the Cutter instead? 720T cargo in my build and strong enough shields to either run away or stay and fight (depending on enemy and system security).

Also, not sure about your credit balance, but why do missions when trading pays better and more consistent?

- Ice
#4413825 - 03/30/18 07:23 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Always have enough for the re-buy smile Almost lost my Cutter due to this.

If you want a Corvetter for cargo, why not go for the Cutter instead? 720T cargo in my build and strong enough shields to either run away or stay and fight (depending on enemy and system security).

Also, not sure about your credit balance, but why do missions when trading pays better and more consistent?

Well I also want to do a lot of Pew Pew hence Corvette. The fact that it can pack a lot of Cargo too is a big PLUS Also I am ranked up with the Federation and have ZERO rank with the Empire.

Trading does not pay better when you can take a cargo mission that pays from 10,000 credits per ton to 50,000 credits per ton for one jump and which you can stack multiples of. Also PURE profit and no money up front to purchase.

I think my top mission was 144 tons Palladium for 7.1 million payout. (~49,000/ton)

Last night the FIRST mission I picked up was 180 tons Gold for 6.5 million (36k/ton)

Even low paying missions are on the order of 1.4 million for between 90 and 120 tons. No way to make that with a 250 ton cargo capacity in one jump with pure trades...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413830 - 03/30/18 07:44 PM Re: Python [Re: Recluse]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

and have ZERO rank with the Empire.

Ah yes, that minor detail biggrin biggrin biggrin

Trading does not pay better when you can take a cargo mission that pays from 10,000 credits per ton to 50,000 credits per ton for one jump and which you can stack multiples of. Also PURE profit and no money up front to purchase.

Yes, but can you stack enough to fill your hold? Maybe in smaller ships but on cargo ships?

Also, isn't that subject to local standings and RNG?

- Ice
#4413833 - 03/30/18 07:50 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The way the mission rewards work now if you choose the rep-heavy one you can rank up very quickly. I made enough rep in one evening to go from no rep to Squire mostly by stacking data missions. Of course the Cutter is further up the chain, but I think you could get enough rep in 3 days or so if you were dedicated to it and didn't care as much about the money you were earning.

#4413836 - 03/30/18 07:57 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
and have ZERO rank with the Empire.

Ah yes, that minor detail biggrin biggrin biggrin

Yes, but can you stack enough to fill your hold? Maybe in smaller ships but on cargo ships?

Also, isn't that subject to local standings and RNG?

Yes you can stack enough to fill your hold if you don't mind

1) Multiple destinations
2) Taking pitifully small payouts of only 5-800K a pop smile

YES it does depend on local standings and RNG. In many ways, my loss of Reputation hurt more than the credits where getting good missions was concerned. The RNG really kicked my butt though... Missions started high and then trailed off with every subsequent visit even when I tried Board flipping..

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413837 - 03/30/18 07:58 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Well, Recluse's claims have sparked my interest. Perhaps he could make a quick guide and I'll try it out smile I will admit my thoughts on missions were from a long, long time ago so ED could have very well fixed this to be paying out more. Heck, the official forums are recommending wing missions for insane profits....

- Ice
#4413838 - 03/30/18 07:58 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
The way the mission rewards work now if you choose the rep-heavy one you can rank up very quickly. I made enough rep in one evening to go from no rep to Squire mostly by stacking data missions. Of course the Cutter is further up the chain, but I think you could get enough rep in 3 days or so if you were dedicated to it and didn't care as much about the money you were earning.

Yes. That is how I went from Lt. Commander to Rear Admiral in a short time for the Federation to qualify for the Corvette.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413845 - 03/30/18 08:12 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Well, Recluse's claims have sparked my interest. Perhaps he could make a quick guide and I'll try it out smile I will admit my thoughts on missions were from a long, long time ago so ED could have very well fixed this to be paying out more. Heck, the official forums are recommending wing missions for insane profits....

I just wrote a long post about Wing Missions, but managed to lose it....

Long story short.... I think the profit margin is TERRIBLE for the individual unless you stack them among wingmembers. Even then the amounts needed to move are insane if you don't have a wing of Cutters or Anacondas...

Anyway, my GUIDE is simple. Nothing that every Elite Trader doesn't already know...but rather than maximizing Round Trip trade loops with multiple jumps, Cluster around a 1-2 jump radius of an EXTRACTION ECONOMY in BOOM.. They tend to have a lot of Metal hauling missions. Keeping close by means that a lot of the same factions are represented. Get Allied with as many as possible. Find a system in that cluster in BOOM especially if it is the Extraction economy. Go to the Mission Board. Filter on TRANSPORT... look for the BIG SCORE, or failing that, look for lower payouts (NEVER LESS THAN A MILLION) going to nearby Systems, stacking the same destinations where possible. Good to stay in a CLUSTER of 1 jump and, of course check how far the station is from the star to minimize Supercruise. Turn in your missions acquiring credits or REP as you desire and check the boards again to see if there are similar missions, especially if they are return trips. Often I went back empty rather than zig zag all around.

Last edited by Recluse; 03/30/18 08:24 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413846 - 03/30/18 08:17 PM Re: Python [Re: Recluse]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yes you can stack enough to fill your hold if you don't mind

What size hold have you filled and did you have to do board jumping?

YES it does depend on local standings and RNG. In many ways, my loss of Reputation hurt more than the credits where getting good missions was concerned. The RNG really kicked my butt though... Missions started high and then trailed off with every subsequent visit even when I tried Board flipping..

See, that's the thing. 50K profit per ton is useless if:
1. You cannot fill your hold
2. You spend too much time flipping boards
3. You have to grind up rep.

My good trades were 5,500 Cr. per ton per round trip and I could do a run just over 10 minutes. Let's call that 5 runs per hour, 20M credit profit. However, this is consistent. As soon as I sit down, I can start the grind. With bookmarks, setting destination station only took 2 seconds, done. There are less variables, less dependence on RNG, less dependence on standings. The current run could turn out to be poor, I'll find another location, and start again and be at that level of profits the second I start my runs.

A straight up Cr. per ton comparison would not be fair. It would have to be Cr. per ton per hour, and even then, you may win that for this night's session but not tomorrow?

Either way, I'll have a go at this soon to see. smile

- Ice
#4413852 - 03/30/18 08:28 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
I calculated on the basis of CREDITS PER TON to make the comparison to straight trade. The Mission Payout is independent of tonnage. What would you rather do - 720 tons for a PROFIT of 1000 credits/ton or 100 tons for 7 million? It is the equivalent of filling your hold 10 times over at 1000 credits/ton!

AND that assumes a huge hold. What about the guy starting out with 100 tons of cargo?? He would never achieve such a profit in trade alone.

Your other points are valid, though and the RNG can mess you up... As far as Ranking up etc.. since I do it around my home system where I have done many missions, it wasn't an extra chore, but leveraging what I already did.

Last edited by Recluse; 03/30/18 08:30 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413878 - 03/30/18 10:33 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Well, as per our conversation this evening, your method is good but under the mercy of RNG. My method isn't as good, but is more consistent. smile I think we both have valid points and missions are a great way for non-traders to earn good credits with little cargo.

Looking forward to give this a try. Do these types of missions spawn everywhere? Or are they better in certain systems?

- Ice
#4413885 - 03/30/18 11:07 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I tend to prefer the trading missions to stand-alone trade, purely for the variety of scenery. I like seeing and visiting different spots, especially if they are surface ports.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4413904 - 03/31/18 02:08 AM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Well, as per our conversation this evening, your method is good but under the mercy of RNG. My method isn't as good, but is more consistent. smile I think we both have valid points and missions are a great way for non-traders to earn good credits with little cargo.

Looking forward to give this a try. Do these types of missions spawn everywhere? Or are they better in certain systems?

Yes, tonight was a Prime example of them not Spawning well, but I did take 4-5 missions throughout the session for 1.2 - 1.4 million a pop for single jump transactions. AND NO INTERDICTIONS....

On the forums, they said that Extraction Economies tended to spawn more, basically because they exported a lot of Metals. Indeed the most lucrative ones I have found WERE from an Extraction economy (Liu Baja), Not tonight, unfortunately. Also have seen them elsewhere, so maybe it is the RNG more than the LOGIC of the economy that governs it.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4413953 - 03/31/18 11:16 AM Re: Python [Re: Recluse]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I tend to prefer the trading missions to stand-alone trade, purely for the variety of scenery. I like seeing and visiting different spots, especially if they are surface ports.

Indeed! One of my stops was a Tourism port and the station was beautiful! I'm hearing good stuff about passenger missions too and may well try that!

Yes, tonight was a Prime example of them not Spawning well, but I did take 4-5 missions throughout the session for 1.2 - 1.4 million a pop for single jump transactions. AND NO INTERDICTIONS....

On the forums, they said that Extraction Economies tended to spawn more, basically because they exported a lot of Metals. Indeed the most lucrative ones I have found WERE from an Extraction economy (Liu Baja), Not tonight, unfortunately. Also have seen them elsewhere, so maybe it is the RNG more than the LOGIC of the economy that governs it.

Thanks! So I take it find an Extraction system.... what ship do you recommend (aside from the obvious Python)? I'm guessing massive cargo hold isn't a requirement? Is jump range an important factor, ie, needs at least 20+ LY jump range?

- Ice
#4413986 - 03/31/18 02:47 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, back to the Python.... I was able to bump up the 6A shields to about 700 with the reinforcement modification. Grade 2 Dirty Drives and OC'd power plant. I am a full 10 MW short of max power. It handles much better now.

The class 6 shield is undersized, I'm well over shield optimal mass for this ship, so it really needs some love to get it to a level where it's reasonable protection for such a ship.

#4414018 - 03/31/18 06:28 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The class 6 shield is undersized, I'm well over shield optimal mass for this ship, so it really needs some love to get it to a level where it's reasonable protection for such a ship.

Well, you were the one who was talking about appreciating shortcomings on certain builds smile A Size 6 shield is the best you can put on a Python, so if it's undersized even at that size, well, we'll have to compensate for it some other way.

Personally, I just run with SCB and HS and use them as necessary. No issues so far; I just need to always be mindful of my shield status.

- Ice
#4414125 - 04/01/18 12:27 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I needed to restore some buoyancy to my bank account so spent some time running cargo missions in the Python. I've been complaining lately about the poor payout on boom time deliveries which were my main money maker back in the summer. The Python however gets those outpost deliveries and I was finding a number of single-hop deliveries paying about 1 million. These are nice, take 10 minutes to complete, depending on the arrival distance of course.

This will seem like I'm seeing things, but I'm fairly sure it happened. When looking at the mission board at one station I saw a few good missions, one for 700k, another for 700 and another for 600k, all to the same station. With only 96t of cargo space I needed to go to outfitting and add a 6E rack. Did so and came back. Those missions were gone. Went back and removed the new rack, and the missions returned. Outfitted with 160t of cargo space I saw a poor mission selection. With 96t I was getting really good ones. Hmmm.....

I want to learn more about economies and how it affects mission generation, like Recluse and Ice talking about. This seems key to efficient profits.

#4414134 - 04/01/18 01:33 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Yes. I sometimes wonder if it is RNG or something more insidious. Like when you take a contract for Osmium and spend all your time in the asteroid field finding everything BUT including precious metals like Platinum, Palladium and Painite, but as soon as you are looking for Platinum, Palladium or Painite, Osmium is as common as dirt everywhere you look.

For awhile I was doing Planetary Scan Missions as I was finding them for ~3 million credit rewards. While in the Cobra or Asp with SRV, I would find plentiful Transport missions for 5,6,7 million credits, but did not have the Cargo Capacity. After the scan missions, I would return in the Python to find them largely GONE...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4414138 - 04/01/18 02:12 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I enjoy a good conspiracy theory, and there is a certain school of thought on the official forums about exactly this, and that FDev uses these techniques to extend play time. I can't say if it's true or not, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Do you know of any good resources that discuss economies in depth? I'm ready to pull up stakes and move to a system with a more advantageous economy than the agricultural one I currently call home. I'm looking mostly for good passenger missions and boom time deliveries.

#4414147 - 04/01/18 03:45 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
I've stayed away from the BGS mostly, so I don't know of any resources offhand that describe the economies other than these which came up in a quick GOOGLE search for which I have no real ability to evaluate.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Market_Economy

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Commodities/Supply_and_Demand

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Background-Simulation-Guide-Help-Needed

I guess I have been following the general rule that EXTRACTION economies export Metals to Industtrial economies since the higher paying transport missions I have seen were often GOLD or PALLADIUM from Extraction economies to elsewhere..

As chronicled, still hit and miss...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4414293 - 04/02/18 01:48 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks, that's very useful. I haven't done much commodity trading, but now I have a ship capable of carrying a decent amount so maybe I should start. I'd like to learn more about economies and mission generation. I moved my home base to a nearby high tech industrial refinery system so we will see how it goes. I'd like to get good sightseeing missions and good delivery missions. And maybe some loops running transports one way and deliveries the other.

#4414483 - 04/03/18 02:45 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Interesting Observation:

I mentioned to ICE that Passenger Missions seemed to increase my TRADE rank more than anything else (including Trade Missions). Last night I crammed a bunch of Passenger Cabins into the Python. Unfortunately, I couldn't cram enough 1st Class Cabin space to get the really high paying Bulk Transport missions (e.g. Transport 40 VIP's for 3.5-5 million) but managed to do quite a few loads of 1-3 million credits apiece on round trips, and one jump trips for about a 25 million credit night (Also grabbed some Assasination Missions in the Gunship to alleviate the boredom for about 4 million of that. I noticed that my Trade Rank went up 4% on the night. Far more than it did when doing Cargo Missions even when the payout was about the same on the night. So, it looks like Passenger Missions are good for Trade Rank. Might have been because MOST of them were rated as ELITE missions for some reason...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4414632 - 04/04/18 01:27 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, those rich tourist transports are how I have any decent trade rep at all I think.

Transports increase trade rank, and sightseeing is exploration rank.

What's the scoop with assassination missions. Can you describe a typical one?

#4414635 - 04/04/18 01:44 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Assassination missions usually something like:

"Urgent Kill Order on Pirate Lord "So and So". or "ASSASSINATE PIRATE LORD (or Deserter, etc..) "SO AND SO" Reported to be in system xyz between time t1 and t2.

Pay attention to the RANK requirement. Whatever the Rank listed is, the target will be of a LOWER rank generally. There is very little difference between the ELITE ranked mission payouts and the "Dangerous" or lower ranked payouts in terms of credits. Single missions range around the 1-2 million credit mark. I generally take lower ranked missions unless the reward is really high for an ELITE style mission. Typically I tend to stay DEADLY or BELOW for an easier time of it.

You take a mission and go to the specified system, but often the actual Time Interval doesn't matter. Sometimes it does... Hard to tell...

Often, you will be interdicted by one of the Pirate Lord's Minions, who will be of a similar rank. You get extra bonus for killing them..

When you get to the target system, you used to be able to find the target with the Advanced discovery Scanner, but now, you have to Scan the Nav Beacon to find the area where you find the guy. OFTEN he will drop in on you AT THE NAV Beacon immediately, so have your weapons primed just in case. Otherwise, go to the Target Body and Supercruise around until you get the special MISSION SIGNAL SOURCE. It will be in BLUE and you will get and AUDIO Alert that you have found it. Drop into it, Deploy hard points and make some cash.

When choosing a low ranked mission, the target is quite easy to kill and very often, there will be a bunch of other ships in the Mission Signal Source who the guy is Harrassing. They will join the fight and make your job even easier! The other night I picked a DESERTER Assassination, and when I dropped in, there were 5 Federal Security Service ships pounding him!! I had to hurry to get a shot in!!!

You can filter the Mission board for only LEGAL missions, or pay attention to the Mission Description to be sure it doesn't say that the Activities May be Illegal, in which case you could end up with a Bounty and Notoriety.

Here's a video. This was from an earlier version, but things are PRETTY much the same...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4414646 - 04/04/18 02:31 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks. I think if I can get some good ones I can boost the combat rank faster than bounties. Is there any reputation or relations concerns with these missions? Can you piss off any factions?

Ever bite off more than you could chew in one of these? I was cruising around last night in the Vulture and came across a distress signal. Oh what the heck, let's go see if there's a damsel in need of a white knight. Jumped in and was immediately beset by I don't know, a dozen Eagles all shooting at me. Managed to knock a few down and then had to jump when the shields were gone. Gotta be careful!

#4414653 - 04/04/18 03:15 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Well, not a good way to boost combat rank (unless the enemy rank is the same or higher than you are for max value). RES zones are better for that. From time to time I HAVE seen reputation decrease with the faction that the Pirate belonged to, which is odd since being WANTED in a system itself can give bad rep!!

Right now I have 2 "Follow ON" Assassination Missions in my queue that are at ELITE level. I am waffling on taking them as I find that spawning DEADLY ANACONDAS can be bad for my GUNSHIP to handle. So far the enemies have been mainly Pythons/FDL but I think at the ELITE level they tend to be Anacondas. Might have to enlist a Wingmate for backup...

I see you flying mainly in SOLO. I think you are in The_Nephilim Private group already. Drop into PRIVATE GROUP and that way if there are any others on and in the vicinity, you can Wing Up. Otherwise, it is really no different than SOLO.. For Single Assassinations, the Wingman doesn't get a share, other than whatever Bounty the guy has on him, along with the satisfaction of helping out.. but SOMETIMES it is possible for wingmen to grab the SAME mission off the board, in which case the guy SPAWNS multiple times in multiple places, and everyone gets the full share.

This is the "Wing Mission" that we used to do before WING MISSIONS were a thing. Unfortunately both are slightly bugged in that sometimes it is impossible to DROP on the Wingman's BEACON or NAV-LOCK to lend a hand. It works OK at the NAV Beacon, or in an INTERDICTION, but sometimes when the MISSION SIGNAL SOURCE is near a PLANET, you always end up dropping on the wrong side of the Planet. Bug has been reported numerous times and is an impediment to REAL Wing Assassination Missions as well as the Pseudo-Wing missions.

Last edited by Recluse; 04/04/18 03:16 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4414654 - 04/04/18 03:22 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I thought the rank was based on profit no? So a 2 million assassination is the same for the rank as getting 2 mil in bounties, which takes a lot longer, presumably? If not profit, what raises combat rank?

#4414656 - 04/04/18 03:26 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Combat rank is raised some fractional percent for every ship killed with larger fractional amounts when the ship killed is a Higher Combat Rank. That's why it gets harder to raise Combat Rank as the levels increase because there are fewer ships at or above your rank, and the percentage is reduced. Probably takes as long to get from DEADLY to ELITE as it did from MOSTLY HARMLESS to DEADLY or near it.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Combat

Combat works slightly differently, this is done on the number of kills, but the points you get for each kill are based on the combat rank of the target relative to your combat rank so if you are harmless and kill an Elite ship you will get a large number of points, for example, if you are Deadly and kill a ship below Expert you will not get any.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4414659 - 04/04/18 03:47 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Excellent thanks. Rank only seems to go up when cashing in, so I assumed it was tied to the money. Thanks Recluse for clearing it up.

Yes I am in his PG. I should show up with my super-vulture biggrin

#4414666 - 04/04/18 04:39 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Excellent thanks. Rank only seems to go up when cashing in, so I assumed it was tied to the money. Thanks Recluse for clearing it up.

Yes I am in his PG. I should show up with my super-vulture biggrin

I could have sworn I have seen my Combat Rank go up in the RES zones before cashing in... TRADE/EXPLORATION ranks require turning in the missions, of course but I don't think you need to turn in Bounties...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4414685 - 04/04/18 06:10 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Recluse is correct. Combat rank increases as you make your kills, not when you turn in bounties. I was in the middle of a bounty hunt CG when I got the mail notification of elite status.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4414715 - 04/04/18 08:07 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Mucho gracias mes amis.

Do you guys find there's any correlation between the size of the ship you are flying and the size of the spawns in a typical RES? In other words, are you more likely to get big targets in a big ship?

#4414717 - 04/04/18 08:17 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

So killing targets of higher rank than you is better but does that also translate to better bounties? Or are bounty values subject to some RNG as well, ie Master rank with 2mil bounty and Deadly rank with 1mil bounty?

Also, is it better to do missions for this, ie assassination missions or is wandering into a RES site as "profitable" in terms of rep gain? Having said that, why would I want to rank up rep in Combat anyway? Sounds like it's better off if I'm lower rank.

- Ice
#4414719 - 04/04/18 08:31 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It seems to me that the value of a bounty is a combination of the ship type and the skill level of the pilot. A competent Anaconda is worth less than a dangerous one. But all competent Anacondas are worth the same amount, maybe with some slight variation depending on what modules or weapons the target ship was equipped with? Elite Anacondas always seem to be around 249k for example. My record is 279k, and I think that was also an Anaconda, but I no longer recall. Maybe a patch changed it, or there is some difference depending on the actual target ship's value?

For rank, as I now know, it's relative to your own rank. I hope to reach triple Elite some day, so that's why I am interested. I do not believe your rank plays any part in the value of your bounties, only how quickly you might gain rank.

#4414722 - 04/04/18 08:50 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
I agree... TYPICALLY the higher ranked larger ships are worth more (BOUNTIES) than the Higher Ranked SMALLER ships or LOWER ranked Larger Ships, but I have seen smaller ships with significant Bounties and the odd DANGEROUS Anaconda worth more than some DEADLY Anaconda...

Logically (not that LOGIC has much to do with it) A Badass Combat Pilot in a Powerful ship is probably a better Pirate and so has killed many more, hence a higher bounty. Doubtful that a Mostly Harmless Sidewinder is going to be able to murder lots and lots of people in the course of his Pirate career!!!

All this relative to BOUNTIES... As far as Combat Rank, it is clear that it is RANK only. An Elite Sidewinder gives you more Combat rank than a MASTER Anaconda.

We've seen Deadly/Elite Anacondas and FDL's up in the high 400K and I think some in the 500+K range from time to time!

Mucho gracias mes amis.

Do you guys find there's any correlation between the size of the ship you are flying and the size of the spawns in a typical RES? In other words, are you more likely to get big targets in a big ship?

Never seen a correlation. Sometimes it seems that another human jumping into a RES kickstarts it and spawns big expensive targets, but other times its still all small fry.. RNG again..

Last edited by Recluse; 04/04/18 08:59 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4414726 - 04/04/18 09:13 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for clearing that up, Recluse!

- Ice
#4414867 - 04/05/18 04:05 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Finally got a good RES last night outside my home base, FDLs, all the Fed ships, Pythons and so on and so on. I was in the Vulture. 1.7 mil in 30 minutes. Getting a good spawn makes so much difference. It could have easily been 400k for the same effort and time. But that's neither here nor there....

Python, yes. I have found a niche for it in my fleet. It's what I had envisioned when dreaming of purchasing one last summer. The heavily armed merchant cruiser.

It's fairly well engineered at this point, with SRV, class 4 scoop, ADS and surface scanner. Wake scanner is a given. It's rather modular, but mostly I have a class 6 and class 5 passenger cabin, and class 6 and 5 cargo racks (96t). I have basically all of the cabin types in storage, so can swap them around to meet various mission requirements. But it seems that if I leave the mission board to reconfigure to meet the requirements, then that mission is gone on board refresh. Maddening. So it's best to have the versatility already installed and hope you hit good missions. If not, a board-flip usually settles the issue.

It's what I've dubbed a system-runner. The idea is to just take a mission, stack 'em if you can, and off you go. At the destination look over the mission and passenger boards and do it again, wherever it takes you. If you come across any really good metal-content planets, just drop on down and have a bash with the SRV. The loadout means there are plenty of good-paying missions usually, with no need to re-configure. Jump range is about 25 with this set up. You need to engineer the FSD to get there, and I think it's G3 at this stage, so a little more can be squeezed out of her.

The fantastic jump range of my Asp means I prefer that for sightseeing. The Vulture is my choice for combat. And I've found a role for my Courier, scanning wakes, gathering mats and data from various sites. For intra and inter-system trade and transport though the Python really shines. It's a bus, it's a truck, it's a mean mother, and looks great all the while. The number and size of the internals, plus the firepower and good jump range make this ship so amazingly versatile. It took a lot of money, around 160m I think at this point, plus some engineering to make it what I had envisioned. And I have not been disappointed.

#4414885 - 04/05/18 05:44 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Last night I was plying the space lanes with my Passenger Python..

Passenger Python

Hoping to score the really high paying missions, but it seems the 4-6 million credit missions require Anaconda or Beluga size cabin space (i.e 56 spots in First Class). But I managed to get 1-4 million credit trips to a single destination or closely spaced ones.

Got some good missions to Vonarburg Enterprise in V775 Herculis. Station is 87,000 Light Seconds out, and I initially ignored them, but there were many missions so it was worth stacking them. I figured that there would be TONS of high paying missions LEAVING that station, being in the Back of Beyond, but oddly enough there weren't, so as a CREDIT/HOUR destination, it wasn't really that good.

Probably should do as DBond and add a larger amount of CARGO racks for dual role, but most of the higher paying cargo missions need 100 tons +

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4414894 - 04/05/18 06:46 PM Re: Python [Re: Recluse]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Hoping to score the really high paying missions, but it seems the 4-6 million credit missions require Anaconda or Beluga size cabin space (i.e 56 spots in First Class).

Yeah, 36 first class passengers is the most I can carry, and that's two class 6 and two class 5 cabins. But that's because I insist on the heavier shields and SRV and scanners, and blah blah.

I see no transport missions in that pay range (trade rank Broker), but plenty of sightseeing (Pathfinder). For whatever reason I get offered a lot of them over my rank, so they seem to pay especially well. Last night like 8 million for a 3-stop trip that ran about 220 lightyears from home.

With transport missions at least you can see the arrival distance ahead of time. With sightseeing it's a bit of pot luck. I like it though. You never know what you'll find when you arrive in the destination system. Could be a simple visitor beacon scan 80 ls away. Or it could be a planetary tourist trap 380,000 ls away.

This ship is ideal for what we're doing thumbsup

#4417480 - 04/23/18 02:16 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
When I bought an Orca the passenger role for the Python was at an end. For the past few weeks she has sat in storage, brought out for the occasional trade run, or planetary landing to gather mats, but mostly gathering star dust.

Last night I decided to pay attention to her. The ship was engineered, but with the second-shortest jump range in my fleet, had yet to actually go out to the engineers, all being done thus far at remote workshops, so had no experimentals as a result. The first thing I did was re-think the power plant. I had spent a small fortune on the 7A power plant, then had overcharged and stripped it. It produced over 33 MW of power, but my ship was using 27 MW. That's overkill. So I traded it on a 6A, saved like 16t and pocketed 20 million. This PP got the same modifications, G1 OC'd and stripped at Farseer Inc.

She got a fast-scan DSS and lightweight sensors and Mass Manager was added to the G5 FSD.

Leaving Farseer, I flew the Python to The Blaster. My Python is armed with two C3 Pulse Lasers, two C2 multi-cannons, and one C3 multi-cannon, all gimballed. All the OCs are overcharged and were given auto-loader at the engineer. The Pulses are both Efficient, but no experimentals yet, That I remember anyway lol.

Then off to Lei Cheung for the shields. I really don't know which are best for me. I tend to use Bi-Weaves on my fighters. But this Python has a 6A, and with the Reinforced modification. It's G4 because I don't have the mats for G5 yet. The mod increases shield strength and all resistances, but at the cost of recharge rate with no additional mass. So I gave it the Fast Charge experimental to counter the drawback. It has three A-rated shield boosters (and a wake scanner of course), and all were given G2 Thermal to offset the deficiencies of the shield mod.

The ship also has G2 enhanced power distrubutor with the Cluster thing.

It's over 400 light years to Palin so I decided to wait to work on the thrusters. They are G4 Dirty, and I want to get to G5 (need pharmaceutical isolators) and put the Drag Drive experimental on them.

When I first bought the ship I was underwhelmed by it. The performance was poor. It was E-rated yeah, and to be expected I suppose. I had wanted to use it in combat, it looks so badass. Gotta be a kick-ass combat ship right? Even A-rated I wouldn't have recommended it for combat. Too sluggish, especially in pitch rotation. It's a target. Sure you could reinforce it with HRP and MRPs, but then it's even heavier. No, the thing you MUST do with this ship is engineer the thrusters, if you plan to use it in combat. With Dirty Drives it comes alive. Mobile, agile, hostile.

After all this flying about to modify her, I wanted to try it out, especially the new multi-cannons. So I flew it to the CG, which was a long way, but well worth the effort. The Python owned that compromised nav beacon. Seriously. FDev will need to come up with some amazing whizbang multi-cannon mod before I ever use anything other than auto-loader again. Goodness gracious. It was just chewing them up and spitting them out. I blew up an Elite 'Conda in like a minute. Got a new record bounty from it too, at 311k. My Vulture could not kill an Elite Conda on it's own because it can't deplete the shields before the SCBs get fired. The Python had no such trouble. Boom.

With over 800mj on the shields and good resistances, even that Conda couldn't collapse them, and he had some good weapons, missiles, rails, the works. And the shields still have a ways to go. When I entered the comp nav beacon the ship was still in trader trim, all cargo racks and an SRV. It can be reconfigured for combat with more appropriate modules for the purpose. But after the experience last night I don't know if it's even necessary. It feels like it hits harder than my FDL did, but some of that's due to the mods of course.Efficient Pulses and auto-loader MC's just keep pouring it on until the target is dead. No reloads, no drained capacitors, just a stream of death and destruction.

I know it seems like I post about how every ship is awesome, but a highly engineered Python might be the best ship in the game, when all things are considered.

Coriolis is useless now that I'm engineering and until I get some API going these screens will have to do.

360 top speed, 470 boost and thrusters aren't fully cooked yet. 30 light years jump range, but that's max. With any cargo or hull/module reinforcement, interdictors and so forth that would fall

[Linked Image]

The blue is hard to read, but you can see how the Fast Recharge experimental eliminates the engineering drawbacks, and leaves it with only a higher distributor draw.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files python1.jpgpython2.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 04/23/18 04:31 PM.

#4417481 - 04/23/18 02:20 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
You can enter Engineering details in Coriolis. Click the little WRENCH icon on the Module...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4417482 - 04/23/18 02:30 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, I know but you then have to enter all of the values right? Not interested in that lol.

#4417504 - 04/23/18 06:29 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

ED Shipyard, new look.

[Linked Image]

- Ice
#4417508 - 04/23/18 07:17 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks, that looks easier to work with. I'll give i a go later.

I'll be in the comp'd nav beacon in HIP 20638 with her tonight.

Last edited by DBond; 04/24/18 05:05 AM.

#4417539 - 04/23/18 10:32 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I had glanced at what Ice posted and thought it looks simple. Now I see that's just for the shields. To enter the entire ship would take a while....

This I might be willing to do when the engineering is all finished, if that ever actually happens. I just need to get set up with the Market thing that Ice mentioned in another thread, or something similar that allows me to import the build for easy posting.

#4417589 - 04/24/18 07:01 AM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

INARA API import has nothing to do with this.

As for simplicity, you only need to select your module, select your modification, select your experimental effect, and select the grade level and %age completion. You can easily set a Grade 2 mod that is 50% done and the site wil show you the effect you get. Of course you'd need to set this for each module you've upgraded. If you think that's not simple, well, your other option is Coriolis. smile

- Ice
#4417616 - 04/24/18 01:17 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Not sure what you mean. On the ED market site it says

"saves a record of your ship loadout to files on your computer that you can load into outfitting tools such as E:D Shipyard, Coriolis or Elite Trade Net."

As for simplicity, you only need to select your module, select your modification, select your experimental effect, and select the grade level and %age completion

Not seeing the simplicity smile

And anyway, it's a moving target. Since the post I made last, I've already added a few more modifications like G5 Dirty Drives, Drag Drives, a little more OC on the MC. So by the time I've entered all that it's already old news.

Last night I had board flipped for one reason or another and said to myself, don't forget to flip it back to solo. But I of course forgot and flew from Maia to HIP 20638 to get a little combat action in the compromised nav beacon there. I waded right in with the Python and after a bit I'm thinking, damn there are some really nice ships in here. what a spawn! hey why am I being fired on, checked the cargo, empty as it should be. Nah, must just be in the line of fire....

That #%&*$#'s still shooting at me.

Oh right.

But I figured what the hell and gave as good as I got. Didn't lose the ship, or even the shields, but came close a few times. Those G5 Drags made a difference in this scenario. Not the ship I would have chosen before for my first busy PvP action, but the engineering has made it pretty formidable.

#4417644 - 04/24/18 04:05 PM Re: Python [Re: - Ice]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ

As for simplicity, you only need to select your module, select your modification, select your experimental effect, and select the grade level and %age completion. You can easily set a Grade 2 mod that is 50% done and the site wil show you the effect you get. Of course you'd need to set this for each module you've upgraded. If you think that's not simple, well, your other option is Coriolis. smile

The mention of INARA API got me thinking..... I use ED Market Connector to upload to INARA. Someone pointed out to me that by clicking on the CURRENT SHIP name in ED Market Connector, it will AUTOMAGICALLY export the ship build, including Engineering to your Shipyard of Choice. ONE CLICK and you are totally imported to CORIOLIS (in my case). Can be changed to ED ShipYard in Settings...

@Wingnuts: Way back when I gave bad information about importing Ship Configs into Coriollis from the My Documents folder. I thought this was ED generated, but turns out this was my file location for ED Market Connector Ship information!! As you found out, they don't import directly into CORIOLIS, but the ONE CLICK on ACTIVE ship will do the necessary conversions and import!

Last edited by Recluse; 04/24/18 04:12 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4417719 - 04/25/18 08:39 AM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Seems like Coriolis now has the option to pick the mods and experimental effect.

And anyway, it's a moving target. Since the post I made last, I've already added a few more modifications like G5 Dirty Drives, Drag Drives, a little more OC on the MC. So by the time I've entered all that it's already old news.

I personally use it not to reflect what my ship is but to test out what my ship could be.

- Ice
#4417727 - 04/25/18 11:35 AM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I see. I don't care about doing that, I just use it to show others the ship build.

So I fitted some armor last night. It cost 22 million for the reinforced alloy for the Python. Weighed a bunch too.

What advantage does it have over HRPs? A much lighter, much more inexpensive HRP or two gives me the same hull integrity stat. Armor can have resistance stats but HRPs don't? What other reasons might you choose armor, aside from module slot availability?

I sold the armor back and used a MRP and a HRP instead.

#4417770 - 04/25/18 06:51 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I see. I don't care about doing that, I just use it to show others the ship build.

In that case, export to Coriolis, save it, then send a link.

Fangs Out Test

Seems like Coriolis has been updated and has again surpassed ED Shipyard.

- Ice
#4418985 - 05/03/18 07:35 PM Re: Python [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You're right, it's much better now.

My Python in trader trim. Still working on her, but really loving this ship at the mo.

DBond's Python

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.