Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4412805 - 03/26/18 08:06 AM Re: I am so sick and tired of the hot garbage that combat flight sims have become. [Re: DaveP63]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by DaveP63
I have a fully updated BMS install that I've spent less than an hour on because I can't force myself to sit down and map the controls. Maybe someday, but right now I really don't want to mess with it. To be honest I'm not sure that I ever will want to memorize all the buttons and keys and it's my loss, I know. I've watched hours of videos and I know what I'm missing out on.

No need to miss out on anything. Map what's on the F-16 HOTAS to your HOTAS or to easily-accessible keyboard commands and you. Are. Done.

Fly the campaign and use a TAXI or RUNWAY start and you don't have to mess with the startup sequence. Fly and fight with what's on your HOTAS. Anything else you need, you don't need to map to the keyboard or know the key commands for (except for maybe a select few). Why? Clickable cockpit. If you know where that knob/switch/dial/button is, grab your mouse and click it. Done, get back to flying.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4412817 - 03/26/18 10:57 AM Re: I am so sick and tired of the hot garbage that combat flight sims have become. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Printed manuals have gone away due to cost considerations. You can always just print out the online manual if you really want one.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4413032 - 03/27/18 03:29 AM Re: I am so sick and tired of the hot garbage that combat flight sims have become. [Re: NH2112]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
Originally Posted by NH2112
I honestly think it was Jane’s F15 that did them in for me, beautiful graphics and a clickable cockpit but no co-op mode or dynamic campaign just didn’t do it for me.

I'm sorry you found our game lacking. Being that we had to start the game from scratch we had to limit the amount of stuff we put in the game so co-op and a dynamic campaign had to be put on the back burner. I've already written about this decision before (and another write up about factors that caused us to drop multiplayer from Fleet Defender when it was in F-15 SE III which would have still been valid issues later on) so I won't bore you with the details but can provide links if you want. For JF/A-18 I was able to get co-op in and achieved my goal of the designers not having to limit anything in a mission for it to be multiplayer but I gather you never checked it out. A lot of the rest of my time during that game was dealing with issues of switching from an AF to Navy focused game so it still wasn't time to consider a DC. If we had done another game after that I believe that plan was for me to see what I could do about adding the option for a dynamic campaign but at that point EA was getting out of the combat simulation market so it was not to be.

Elf

#4413033 - 03/27/18 03:50 AM Re: I am so sick and tired of the hot garbage that combat flight sims have become. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Man JF15 and JF18 were truly two of the best flight sims of all time. Dynamic campaign or not. Their world never felt empty to me either.

If anything, they just did not age well with new Windows versions and hardware.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4413039 - 03/27/18 04:29 AM Re: I am so sick and tired of the hot garbage that combat flight sims have become. [Re: Spidey]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
Originally Posted by Spidey
Man JF15 and JF18 were truly two of the best flight sims of all time. Dynamic campaign or not. Their world never felt empty to me either.

If anything, they just did not age well with new Windows versions and hardware.

Thanks. It's really frustrating knowing that people would still like to be playing the games we did but they can't because of something completely outside of our control.

Elf

#4413042 - 03/27/18 04:41 AM Re: I am so sick and tired of the hot garbage that combat flight sims have become. [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
This is why, later in the year when I take my desktop out of retirement, I'm sticking with DOS (DOSBox under WinXP). For retro gaming, it's been a lot more reliable to me than old Windows games, and I have so many DOS titles that I've never dug deep enough into. At the top of my list is Subwar 2050 and Fleet Defender, but I have so many more really cool games, probably a lifetime's worth.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4413210 - 03/28/18 12:50 AM Re: I am so sick and tired of the hot garbage that combat flight sims have become. [Re: - Ice]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
Originally Posted by - Ice
Originally Posted by DaveP63
I have a fully updated BMS install that I've spent less than an hour on because I can't force myself to sit down and map the controls. Maybe someday, but right now I really don't want to mess with it. To be honest I'm not sure that I ever will want to memorize all the buttons and keys and it's my loss, I know. I've watched hours of videos and I know what I'm missing out on.

No need to miss out on anything. Map what's on the F-16 HOTAS to your HOTAS or to easily-accessible keyboard commands and you. Are. Done.

Fly the campaign and use a TAXI or RUNWAY start and you don't have to mess with the startup sequence. Fly and fight with what's on your HOTAS. Anything else you need, you don't need to map to the keyboard or know the key commands for (except for maybe a select few). Why? Clickable cockpit. If you know where that knob/switch/dial/button is, grab your mouse and click it. Done, get back to flying.

Perhaps some day I will give it a shot with Falcon Alternative Launcher

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.