Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 554 of 608 1 2 552 553 554 555 556 607 608
#4411488 - 03/19/18 04:10 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Like Jens yesterday, we have a solid overcast this morning. The current temp at 11:15 AM is 50°F. / 10°C. Rain is anticipated.

At present, and for the past four delightful days and nights, I have been mistreated to the ear crippling, full blast operatic styling of Zena cat. My index fingers have practically ingrown into my ear canals as she has constantly screamed her merry way almost through feline Estrus once more. 👉 😣 👈

She should soon be transitioning from noisy, tawdry, "Crazy Cat" to friendly, adorable "Quiet Cat" very soon. 🐱

If not, the tallest one of us will be seeking a quiet and fashionably well padded cell at the local funny farm very soon. Guess who?

Hmmmm. On second thought, I wonder if I sent an audition MP3 to the Met? ...... She'd likely be just perfect for "Kata Kabanova", by Janacek. winkngrin

I recommend the following for your own late night listening pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yMvkDaSgx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34l6jAjlmIg

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4411805 - 03/21/18 01:08 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Spring has finally sprung. After a warmer night and early morning, it is cold again. Some possible snow flurries over night or other wintry precipitation.

There's some good news attached below for those of you who, like OG, have a multi vehicle garage. It would be the best in show in any kid's show and tell for sure. A real chick magnet I bet.

Q: What's the difference between a fighter pilot and God?
A: God doesn't think He's a fighter pilot. winkngrin

Attached Files Privately owned F4.jpg

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4411933 - 03/21/18 04:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

At 11:45 AM our temp is 35°F / 2° C. 🚰 A light snow has been floating by my window all morning. And that without any discernible adhesion to anything that is in sight. About 5 seconds ago the sun peeped out of the overcast for a minute or two and, apparently, seeing snow he un-peeped immediately. Weird weather.

Q: If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?
A: Pilgrims! winkngrin

#4412159 - 03/22/18 11:59 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT, OG,

My pics have to go via Roger and NC when they become available! I never look forward to covering a model because it is usually so fiddly with a lot of stretching the material and removing wrinkles required before it takes on the semblance of a neat job. I have decided against using any more PVA for tissue because it is too 'wet'...it tends to wrinkle the tissue which comes into contact with the framework as it dries. Sanding the wrinkles smooth again doesn't work. I will try Pritt or proper tissue paste next time. I am just about to start on the Oracover stuff using a small travelling iron I bought cheaply on Ebay.
Some modellers dope the balsa, lay on the tissue and re-actvate the dope with cellulose thinner which also works. Also very useful is the perfume atomizer, another cheapo from Ebay for wetting the tissue which shrinks it on the framework prior to a spraypaint job.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4412240 - 03/22/18 05:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The sun shines down full bore today and there is nary a hint of snow to be seen. The current temp here at 1:05 PM is 47° / 8° C.

Dux:

I'll gladly post any kit building photos you send to me with instructions to do so. I am a big fan an envious of your meticulous work. That reminds me of something I have mentioned previously.

I once had the good fortune to ride up several floors in a hotel elevator with the popular actor Robert Duvall. He smiled and kindly signed an autograph for my wife. I thoughtlessly gushed that she was his biggest fan. One of his films was her all time favorite ("Lonesome Dove"). I wonder how often he had heard that one?

Without a seconds hesitation, the famous actor looked straight into my eyes, and with a big grin, he said, " I don't know, I have some pretty big fans. How BIG is your wife? winkngrin

#4412390 - 03/23/18 03:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We have a sunny Friday here in eastern NC.

WINDOWS 10-S is here and maybe ready to be installed in your next new PC. Hold on! You may not wish it to be so....

http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-is-windows-10-s/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-s-faq

NO MORE DEFAULT BROWSER
Most of you may already be aware of MS's plan to begin "Bundling" again. Yes, that was Mr. Gates Internet Explorer policy that smacked so much of a monopoly that got MS in hot water with the Federal Government before. I Win 10-S and apparently all new Windows versions, there is no ability to set a 'default' browser period. Windows simply defaults to "Edge" whether you like it or not.

More to the point. There is no option for choosing Chrome, Opera, Firefox or any other browser as a default. Since it is unlikely Chrome or Firefox will ever be available in the MS store they will wither and disappear unless used on other OS. Make your plans now to switch to Linux or some other OS.

It seems that with the new regime in Washington MS and many other powerful companies no longer fear to do whatever they please as long as it improves their bottom line. They do not even fear their customers wrath anymore.

You can throw out all your Windows programs as well. Only apps that are sold from the Microsoft store will run on Windows. Anything else from third party developers will have to be ported over to the new MS format and made available from the MS store. That's how I read it anyway. Take a look for yourself.

Q: Why are PCs like air conditioners?
A: They stop working properly if you open Windows!

Q: What's the difference between a virus and windows?
A: Viruses rarely fail. winkngrin

#4412612 - 03/24/18 07:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

That info comes at an opportune time with me thinking about alternative OS but could I use a Windows PC and an Apple or Linux on the same broadband/phone account at the same time? Never tried networking two PCs but it probably would be a non-starter anyway.

I failed on the covering, iron-on stuff. I was a much cheaper facsimile of Oracover and Solarfilm and once again it's a case of 'you get what you pay for' so I will use the rest to make some holiday kites for the grandkids.
Doping or PVA is so difficult for me, either drying too quickly or making the tissue too weak to stand adjustment. The answer is Pritt. I received some sticks through Ebay and the difference in ease of application is dramatic!
Sticks very well but allows time to be lifted and adjusted without tearing. Wrinkling is minimal and easily smoothed out. Problem solved in that department!

Last edited by Old Dux; 03/24/18 07:11 PM.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4412617 - 03/24/18 07:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Feeling like a bit of a slacker here; I've only done 80 minutes of high intensity Yoga on Wednesday, done 50 km on the stationary trainer yesterday, and been in the pool doing 4 km. today. Enjoying a bit of Rachmaninov on the CD right now.

Temperatures should be on the rise for a day or two, but what happens weather wise for Easter is a bit uncertain right now. It might just get colder again.

Roger; I've read about Windows 10 S and it sounds like Microsoft are trying to go the Windows RT route again: Crippled software on expensive hardware for the digitally impaired. If all I wanted to do was browse the web, watch the odd you tube clip and run some office type applications, I'd probably get a Chromebook. I guess the people at Microsoft want a slice of the low-end market with S, and the high end market with their Surface line. I guess S stands for "Screwed".

Dux; Or I might go the Linux route, knowing very well that I'd feel like going to the dentist, or for some other not very pleasant appointment. My experiences with Linux I have reported in the past and while some woes might be due to my relatively inexperience with said OS, I found that the latest distro I tried was porked. Not being able to run my games without major performing major surgery on the OS of course is another non-starter.

Apple's Macs would offer at least a stable and user friendly experience and the least amount of hassle. As I get older that means more and more to me, having a stable set up that will work with minimum of tweaking or maintenance chores. Still doesn't run games for Windows though. And they're pricey.

You should have no problem running a Windows PC and an Apple or Linux on the same broadband/phone account at the same time, assuming your broadband connection is delivered in a router, to which you can connect your hardware via wifi or cable. Some routers are even capable of optimising the connection to give you the capability of downloading or streaming at the same time to various devices with very little degradation or loss of throughput.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4412724 - 03/25/18 04:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Partly sunny here today. Some showers last night and the increased humidity made the overnight a bit less comfortable for me. I tossed and turned like a worm in hot ashes most of the night. Or, like Ebeneezer Scrooge, maybe it was just something I ate? The current temp is 42° F. / 6°C.

Dux:

None of MS's plans for future Windows versions or builds ( like Redstone ), so far made known to Geeks and tech journalists, include any ability to set a default browser. You can't run third party apps/programs that are not sold/or free on the Microsoft store.That according to a recent tech podcast I viewed. They can change their minds of course. I doubt there are enough complaints that would cause that. Maybe it will spur other OS developers to compete? Netscape, where are you when I may need you? That was my first browser.

That "Flat Earth" self-taught rocketeer finally lifted off in his steam powered homemade rocket. It is estimated he cleared over 1000 feet and landed about 1500 feet from whence he took off. When he suddenly noticed the Earth was getting bigger he whipped out his abacus and slide rule. After a few technical computations he realized he was no longer climbing but falling... and a bit too fast.

He popped out a chute but that failed to slow his descent enough. Not wishing to make too big an impression below, he popped out his reserve chute. The rocket hit hard but it's contents remained unscrambled just as the egg I once sent up in one of my rockets also did. The would be space pilot was inspected by local EMS and released with only a sore back.

There are several ways to prove the earth is round. You do not have to build a rocket and risk your life. I have not read that he has changed his mind about the Earth being Frisbee shaped after his uplifting experience. Now he says he wants to run for governor. Oh, why not? However, in my cluttered mind, his recent actions and his dizzy beliefs make him far more qualified for Congress. winkngrin

#4412725 - 03/25/18 04:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

I would think I am too long in the tooth to switch OS no matter what MS does to Windows. But a Mac might be the easiest way to continue forward. Apple has it's appeal. It has always had a superior appeal to graphics artists for one thing and I 'R' one. No, LeRoy, I did not say I was a "good" one. Perhaps like a bald headed man arguing with his barber; it is all much ado about nothing. winkngrin

#4412770 - 03/25/18 09:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen:

Hope your weekend is/was good. In my news, a day or so ago I apparently re-enlisted.
Not really, but it did seem like it, as I was apparently volunteered to have Edge thrust at me like a football blocker.
Doesn't really matter if it's as in American football or real football, or as we call it, soccer.
It stood between me and my Hotmail account, the goal line, and it was not of a mind to let me in.

It did not make me happy. As it happens, Edge disappeared from the first windows 10 set up I had and it has never properly downloaded in the second.
So it was an uneven match. I did manage to reopen Firefox and find a way to Hotmail at a time I really needed to.

That's when I read in PC World about the Windows 10 S (S for Screwed-up). But the piece said it was coming in the Fall.
Jolly Roger Two's entry confirmed it's already being pushed and I played an unwilling lab rat.

Thanks Microsoft, but no thanks. Maybe the answer is Lenux, but the Iphone has made a good impression even if it's a 5 model.
After years of resistance, I think I will have to learn about computers after all, or return to W7, stay on W10 and stay away from the internet.
I do enjoy my flight sims. Hello Lenux!

But really, I had a life before the internet, still get my statements in the mail, and can claim using a smart phone like a flip phone is OK.
OK, my handwriting is getting harder to read.

#4412792 - 03/26/18 02:21 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Hang in there pal. With so many other dangerous things going on in the world that you and I have no control over, Win 10-S is likely to be the very least of them.

In other, more comforting words, it could well be that those of us who,like our Flat Earth friend, will be the fortunate. Those who actually know how to build a getaway rocket and posses a genuine Star Trek star map will be the only ones who have any reason to care much about Windows-S anymore.;D

I found a James Bond audio book on YouTube (not one written by Fleming) this afternoon. I'm listening as I type tonight. Odd that, I've just added a Bond favorite, the German made Walther PPK .380 to that collection that I no longer have anymore. It was traded for the useless .45 Double Eagle I received Christmas.

I have to go to ATMs at night sometime. As a self-defense weapon the Walther is well made but clearly has less stopping power. It is more accurate at reasonable range and has its good points. Frankly, I've just wanted one ever since seeing "Dr. NO" in the early sixties. This particular model gun has a history. As you may know, it was just such a Walther that Hitler is supposed to have used to end his wicked life.

#4412885 - 03/26/18 05:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It has been a sunny Monday here so far today. At present (12:30 PM) the temp is 46° F. / 8° 🚰

I notice that MS is soon to stop support for several Windows versions. Mine, 1709, is said to have 18 mos. left after which I will have to upgrade it. Check to see if your version is on the list. Considering what Windows is likely to be in 18 mos. maybe I won't want Windows anymore. There might be other viable options by then. Who knows?

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...retire-windows-10-1511-in-two-weeks.html

If you don't know already and wish to find your version number you can Google the location . I found mine by entering 'Windows' at the start menu search prompt. This should pour a few more bob into the swelling coffers at Redmond. Those who cannot afford the update will have to accept the risk of no more updates. That didn't bother me much with XP but soon after I got a new desktop with Windows installed so it mattered little.

I've very recently received requests to update my terms of use agreement with both Adobe and Microsoft. It would be nice if they explained why and what the difference is. I always read mine and several times I have caught clauses I did not agree with and consequently did not agree to. Usually that was for PUPS they wanted to install with the software. IMHO always read them and always choose 'custom' install if it is an option.

Considering the changes in Washington I'd say it is "Buyer Beware" all over again. Not that we didn't absolutely need to before of course. winkngrin

#4412973 - 03/26/18 09:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen:

Thanks for the warning about Windows, as I had not noticed the sell-use-by dates, except as mentioned in PC World digital version. I did check in the updates and security tab and found I have the same shelf date as you do.

Maybe M$ will be happy with the strangle hold it has on businesses.
Somehow it seems like beating a poor mule, since I have noticed that there may be more than I care to know retailers that are probably still with Windows 7.

At least it seems that way every time I hear the latest from Home Depot's famous line:

"We're in the business of selling hammers, not worrying about customers' information security."

That still chaffs me. And I try to avoid shopping there when I can. That jerk was an Azz*

Back to M$. Perhaps there will be enough of us peasants that will find other uses for a thousand or more bucks.

Of course a reductions of folks crossing traffic streets and other common hazards with their heads up their...oops, down on their phone screens could improve on the lowly peasants number. But Darwin rules.

The Walther PPK is one of the best pistols I have known. A senior colleague used the 9mm. version as a service weapon and he loved it. It seemed heavy but it was gorgeous.
At the time I used a Beretta for back up. It seemed lighter than the .38 model 60 I carried. The PPK was certainly more accurate IMO.

#4412989 - 03/26/18 10:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,
The PPK is a nice pistol. I have two; one with a threaded barrel for the suppressor (silencer). It is pretty quiet since, unlike the real 9mm, the 380 (9mm short) is subsonic. Nice pistols. Very good for their day, but there are better choices now. Some of the new 9mm are as small and lighter and the PPK is 9mm short (380 auto) not the standard NATO 9mm. Quite a bit of difference. But the PPK has an aura about it. Bond, James Bond. People always want to see and try it.

I like the old guns. I like real steel. But one can’t close their eyes to progress and better.

Which Berreta ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4412994 - 03/26/18 11:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

the weather played a big role in my life today. Saturday the wife and I flew to a fly-in/ car show/ hot air balloon/ skydiving event at Cross City, Florida. My friend and his wife flew their plane. Met a couple friends there. The weather was just beautiful. Smooth air and scattered clouds for flying. Warm day was great to wander around. Pigged out on carnival food. At the end friends flew back home, but the wife and I continued on our second leg. Flew to Perry Foley and got rental car. Drove to the Wakulla Springs Park and stayed at the lodge. Built in 1937 and they have maintained it as it was for the most part. Old timey . Well, at least in US terms. You fellows across the pond would consider 1937 new construction. Wakulla Springs was where they filmed”The Creature from the Black Lagoon” and some of the Tarzan scenes. Next day we drove to Marianna, Florida to go through the caverns. Stayed overnight.

Now here is where the weather played it’s big role. Rose to find the forecast had changed dramatically. Low overcast. After a late breakfast did more weather checking. Still marginal. Considered staying overnight, but by 2PM we started getting some lift to the clouds. At the field I fueled and did pre-flight giving a bit more time. Then it was decision time; fly or stay. Ceiling where I was 1,500; midway 1,100, and home 2,000. It was the midway that concerned me. Not so much me as the wife. Where I am experienced with low ceiling flying (just at the minimums for VFR) she was not. I told her we were OK and explained how things should go, that there was a 20 minute period where we would be near minimums, but that from there on it would improve. She felt a little better when the flight instructor told her that I had it right and he would even send a advanced student pilot in it. So off we went. She didn’t like it when we were tight at the midway point. Plus it was a bit bumpy. But as expected it got better. Home field frequency was light on traffic. Only a departure and a plane doing two missed approaches for IFR training and then landing. The instructor (same FAA examiner who did my check ride) said that the gusts were stronger than the METAR and AWOS were saying. After first approach they cancelled second and aligned to land. The tower said that there was a major wind shift and recommended they go around. They did and the wind shifted back so they landed this time. I announced my distance and direction and asked the tower to give me timely wind info as I approached. I was aligning for the same runway when the tower announced another wind shift and strong gusts. I was in landing configuration and told them I was going to just adjust and go for the other runway (60 degree) difference. He approved my call and said he would be giving me immediate wind info. I decided not to add anymore flaps and keep a bit more speed reserve. During final I got a good gust shove that made me give some good wing dip into it to stay centered on the runway. And that was how it went through round out and flare to land; constant work of the bank and rudder. Happily put down a nice squeaker of the mains and then nose wheel. Tower said “you had to work hard for that”. Wife had been along with me on an even worse wind condition on landing so that didn’t phase her. After we put the plane away she started telling me how she was pretty concerned at the midway and thought of asking me to turn back.

But it was good that she got to experience something new. Develops familiarity and a sense that things are not out of the envelope. But she said she hoped we wouldn’t have to do that again. She doesn’t enjoy the adventure as I do.

And that’s what happened.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4413001 - 03/27/18 12:18 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

I received an answer for my question. How did they M$ know? A notification regarding the update coming for Outlook Mail, a question if I wanted to update to the Premium (paid?) version.... No, no more subscriptions and monthly drafts for me, thanks. A rather detailed explanation why I was asked to sign on to the new terms of use agreement. Prompt they are when it is in their interest I think.

Yes, the PPK, not the PPK-S and certainly not the S&W version made here under license because the German model didn't have enough points is the better. I know, I know the S&W has a handy feature. A longer beaver tail to protect from getting your widdle skin scraped off by the slide. I know the recoil can tire your hand after 10,000 rounds or so.... wink

The wily Germans added a bit of weight and they could import again after letting the French mess around with it a bit. Interarms out of Va. had their go (I think a better choice than S&W if you can find one). They are OOB (out of business AFAIK). Some versions of the PPK had difficulty with feeding certain rounds, especially hollow points. In some there was a little "step" left just before the chamber that the rounds hung on. That was smoothed out and that problem was fixed.

OG:
Mine is threaded as well. The .22 version of the PPK is, as you know, subsonic. With a silencer attached it is really quiet, I'm told. Of course the .380 isn't all that loud when not silenced unless the slide catches the shooter's skin... that can often be rather loud. wink

Would the three you have include the German or French, Interarms, and the S&W manufactures or something else? There is also a PP but I've never seen one. They were all called police pistols. In the war they and the venerable Luger were officer's side arms until replaced by the Walther P38 in 1943. I believe it was '43. If yours are something rare or special I'd like to see a Pix.

I have a relatively small hand and, unless I am uncharacteristically careless, I should have no problems. If it is an issue I can wear a glove when target shooting. I think it is best not to have that painful thing happen even once as it may create a flinch or hesitation or something involuntary that would affect my accuracy.

My son just bought yet another .45. He doesn't like the PPK. It feels like a toy he says. It is however a good concealed carry and EDC pistol. A pocket holster would probably work with it. My boy prefers other locations for his Sig and other pistols.

He is a good marksman. He recently went through some very special training. His instructors were apparently impressed as he showed off and shot all the perp. targets either between the eyes, in the throat or in the heart.

They were static targets and unlikely to fire back yet it was risky to do a stunt like that in a training situation. I was always taught to go for the center mass... so was he when in a combat situation and that was what I understand they were definitely simulating.

I like cold steel as well but ceramic is the order of the day for most serious shooters like my son. My PPK has a lovely mirror blued finish with standard grips. I might replace those, maybe not. As you know, the safety also de-cocks and it has an odd (for me) way of breaking it down by moving the trigger guard, there is no slide lock and a clip must be in for the slide to come all the way back.

There are better self defense choices but, as we both have said, it has history. I still wish I had bought the broom handled Mauser pistol in New Orleans when I had the chance. Churchill used one in the Boar war. They were dirt cheap that cold day in New Orleans, The gun shop near Jackson Square had a wooden barrel absolutely full of 'em. I considered getting one, just to put on display, you see. Probably not the best CC weapon one could choose. winkngrin

#4413016 - 03/27/18 01:42 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:

I missed your post. You had quite a day. I thought you had your IFR ticket already. Of course that would not have made any difference when on final and landing under those conditions. That was when experience (your not lowering full flaps for one thing) and not an advanced license that made all the difference. We are delighted you and your wife and plane are OK. Thank you for sharing your exciting and dangerous experience with us. Have you washed and disinfected the seats yet? winkngrin

#4413219 - 03/28/18 01:54 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We had solid overcast all day today with occasional showers. Its been chilly all day. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and warmer. Spring is here and Easter is just waiting around the corner of the week. If we, for some reason, fail to get together again before Sunday..... don't forget to hide your eggs. winkngrin 🥚 🐇

#4413314 - 03/28/18 04:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The day began like yesterday with overcast skies. At 11:30 AM the sun has come out and we are warming.

I am tempted to wish for summer but that will just get me complaining about the stifling humidity. I might just as well just continue wishing away the clouds, chill and rain.

You may agree that it is good we do not get everything we want .... if we did, I suspect we would just want everything.

As I look back on a reasonably long and generous life, I can, from my present perspective, identify several things I dearly wanted that I am now so very happy that I never received. Can't you do that too?

As an example, here is a story I do not think I have shared. I was somewhat interested in a particular young lady in school. It was not to be. Let's just call her "R".

After high school, "R" married a good friend of mine. I was briefly engaged to "R's" best friend. We lost all touch after that. The last time I saw her could have been informative in the future had I paid much attention to it. All was not going well in "R's" marriage.

When last I saw "R", my late wife and I bumped into her and a companion one night at a quiet little restaurant located about half way between where we lived and she lived. To my surprise, "R" was dining late with the husband of a pretty, young secretary in our offices. When I averted my eyes and whispered informing my wife of the awkward situation, my wife was not amused. I figured it was their business and I ignored them throughout the rest of our meal.

Apparently, seeing me, and knowing my connection with the wife, an hour later, "R" rushed over and stopped us at the door as we were about to leave the restaurant. Just as if we were still close friends, "R" ignored my wife and tearfully begged me not to tell her companion's wife I'd seen them. Perhaps I should have but I never did. It was still none of my business.

Later, something truly scandalous occurred. It was in all the news throughout the state. I was shocked to learn that a brutal murder had been committed and "R" was the prime suspect.

For quite some time all the sordid details of the trial that followed appeared on TV news and in the papers. I was dumbfounded. According to the papers, less than two decades after they had married, the same "R" had gotten her dim witted brother to kill her loyal and loving husband in cold blood. The very fellow who had once been a good friend of mine. Actually shocked does not even come close to the way I felt as I read about the murder trial day after day.

After a sensational, circus like trial, "R" and her brother were found guilty. Last I heard, she was still enjoying the hospitality of the state penal system. That is likely where she will probably remain for the rest of her life. I would never have suspected such an ending for her in my most hallucinatory moments. I thought I knew her so well. If things in high school had gone differently.....Of course we might not have married but I cannot help thinking about it now and then. When I do, I think "Lucky me, I did not get what I wanted that time."

Who is a genuine NC Redneck?
I am one from birth and proud of it, I guess, but not for these specific Jeff Foxworthy suggestions:

You may be a Redneck if:

You use a fishing license as a form of I.D.
Your screen door has no screen.
You've been on TV more than once describing what the tornado sounded like.
You have a black eye and a hickey at the same time from the same date.
You ever waved at traffic form your front porch wearing just your underwear.

TRIAL JOKE

A guy was on trial for murder and if convicted, would get the electric chair. His brother found out that a old NC redneck farmer was on the jury and figured he would be the one to bribe. He told the redneck that he would be paid $10,000 if he could convince the rest of the jury to change the charge to manslaughter.

The jury was out an entire week and, as hoped for, returned with a verdict of manslaughter.

After the trial, the brother went to the redneck's farmhouse, told him what a great job he had done and paid him the $10,000.

The simple old farmer replied that it wasn't easy to convince the rest of the jury to change the charge to manslaughter. They all thought he was not guilty and, wanted to let him go. winkngrin

Page 554 of 608 1 2 552 553 554 555 556 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.