Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4411890 - 03/21/18 12:57 PM Module Priority  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I wonder if one of you sage Elite vets will give me some advice please.

In the past I've tended to build my ships up to the power limit and no further. But I want to try pushing my builds a little further. I understand that through module priority, I can set it up so that certain modules become deactivated when hardpoints are deployed. Is this correct info?

Assuming for a second that I have it right, I want to show a build, and get advice on exactly how I would re-assign the modules to do what I'm asking.

So here's the ship. A FDL that goes about 5% over the limit when deployed.

Power-hungry Fer-de-Lance

I always deactivate the cargo hatch, but this build requires more. Shown in the link is what I sort of envision happening when I turn out the weapons. The FSD, FSD Interdictor and fuel scoop would all go dark, to release that power for the weapons. If I need to jump, retract them, and the FSD is back online. Instantly? Do I understand this correctly?

Ooops, I noticed I have two discovery scanners, guess I thought one was a landing suite.

So what, exactly, would I need to do to achieve this?

Last edited by DBond; 03/21/18 03:00 PM.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4411897 - 03/21/18 01:56 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I leave my drive and thrusters as #1, shields and power distributor #2, weapons #3, the rest divided between 4 & 5.
I don’t usually go over on power, unless a special trip and I can switch on/off cargo, limpets, docking computer as needed.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4411902 - 03/21/18 02:13 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So which setting powers them down on hardpoint deployment?

It's setting 5 correct? Seems simple enough. If I set the FSD, FSDI and scoop to priority 5 this should achieve what I am asking, correct? I should have worked this out earlier, because I flew my Vulture alot with it gimped somewhat because of the power limitations. The sensors and FSD were not as good as they could have been.

Last edited by DBond; 03/21/18 02:28 PM.

#4411904 - 03/21/18 02:27 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I think it’s about priority for shutting down, what to sacrifice first. That’s why I keep propulsion as top priority, for the getaway.
I manually switch the hold etc. If doing a salvage run, weapons aren’t needed when time to pick up the cargo, so they aren’t deployed anyway.
Still, it’s rare that I have to do this due to not enough power.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4411908 - 03/21/18 02:48 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Reading more about it, the priority number really doesn't matter, in of itself. All this does is dictate the order in which they shut down. So 5 will shut down first, followed by 4 and so on. So as long as the modules I listed have the highest number (lowest priority) they will go off when hardpoints are deployed if it would otherwise exceed maximum power. That seems simple and I wish I had gotten around to this earlier. Noobs!

#4411912 - 03/21/18 03:03 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Yes, number is not important. If all of them were #1 and you're over by 1%, they will ALL shut down. If you set your modules from #1-#5 but your #1 group is still over by 1%, they will all shut down.

Normally, everything important is #1. Life support, thrusters, and the like. Make sure they're all under your max power. #2 for me is weapons and everything I need in combat, heat sinks, etc. #3 is what I don't need in combat. It used to be that you can put FSD in here, but lately, they've introduced a module spool-up process so whereas before you could stow your modules and warp out straight away, now you need to wait for the FSD to power up first. I've since put FSD on #1 priority because of this.

On your build, I'd put cargo hatch, FSDI, and fuel scoop as #3, all weapons as #2.

On my latest pew-pew ship, I've had to put my cargo hatch on #1 since I collect the materials dead ships leave behind, so it's not always a hard-and-fast rule for this, it always depends on what you're doing.

I'm surprised you're talking about this now too.... I would've thought this would be under your belt now after flying the Vulture for so long. This is always an issue for combat ships in particular.

- Ice
#4411918 - 03/21/18 03:20 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I'm not too quick on the uptake, as they say. There is lots of stuff that might be considered basic core stuff, that I haven't used or don't know how to. Our SAP efforts remain the only time I've used a limpet. I've never used a KWS or a mining laser, an AFMU, a docking computer or a refinery. Haven't used an SRV or a SLF I should get out more.

The only ship I've used where I was gimping myself through my ignorance and laziness was the Vulture. Power hasn't been an issue with other ships. But as a new FDL owner, it's something I needed to begin doing. The shame smile

#4411961 - 03/21/18 05:16 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

smile Better late than never!!

Same with the KWS --- did you know that a guy will only show WANTED if he's wanted in the system he's in? Kill him and you'll only get the bounty for that system/faction. If a guy was wanted in 3 systems and has bounty in all three systems, and you don't KWS him, you are missing out on the other two bounties, for however much they might be. That's why if you pew-pew on RES sites, always bring a KWS and always scan the target before commencing pew-pew as much as possible. You can do your scan and KWS simultaneously to save time.

- Ice
#4411964 - 03/21/18 05:51 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

DBond, my friend, my good, good friend.... biggrin What if I told you that you can power ALL your modules in your FDL build and not have to turn off anything at any time?
https://eddp.co/u/H495wzP7

All it costs is 1* Sulphur and a trip to Deciat.
https://inara.cz/galaxy-blueprint/13/

*might need more than 1? Not yet 100% sure about Engineer grade roll counts.

- Ice
#4411969 - 03/21/18 06:21 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Here is how I set up the vulture

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and the overall stats

[Linked Image]

I have successfully run up to 106%, but no higher. Cargo scoop totally off, FSD and other nonessentials on 3, weps and scanners 2 all others 1.

Overcharge that power plant! Even a grade 1 will help.

Wingy

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4411977 - 03/21/18 06:33 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, where's your walkthrough thread detailing your engineering adventures? *wink wink nudge nudge*

With engineering I am mildly tempted. But mostly I'm just meh. Yeah, I could make my ships amazing. But I play PvE and have zero desire to do what it requires. It's cool to read about what you and guys like Wingy are doing with it. But at this point I have little desire to join you. As I mentioned in a different thread, I think engineering will gain allure when I already have all of my ships, and all maxxed out. Until then, I feel satisfied with my current trajectory.

I have a whole list of stuff that I have no idea what to do with it. Maybe I've already got some sulphur.

You guys have been at this far longer than I have. I started in May, but really I've only played about 2 months. I just got in to a FDL, so still at the "isn't that cute" stage. But once I have a Python that can get no further, engineering will probably be tackled with intent. But then I'll want a Corvette or sumpin' Does it never end?! biggrin

#4411978 - 03/21/18 06:35 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
^ In reply to Ice's post

Thanks Wingy, that's very helpful.

And that blue looks great. I gotta get around to doing that....

#4411985 - 03/21/18 06:49 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The idea is --- why make compromises when you shouldn't have to? Think of it this way --- you're happy with your FDL now compared to the Chieftain, right? Now think about how happy you will be with a better module (engineered) rather than a stock one?

In my case, I always wanted a larger FSD to jump further. This is the issue with combat ships and also with traders. Once loaded up, the jump range suffers and therefore I need to either find shorter routes or make multiple jumps, both of which interferes with profits. With a bigger, engineered FSD, I can now jump further, making what was previously impossible possible. Now swap FSD with Power Plant and replace jump range with power generation smile

- Ice
#4411986 - 03/21/18 06:58 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Listen guys. Play the way you like to! That's important. But listen to ICE and his rational behind what he's doing. ICE is coming around to what many of us decided awhile ago. Engineering CAN be a pain in the butt. Taken in small doses I don't think it is. Everyone take a look at whom you have invites from. Your almost there with some of them! Just do it!!

Wingy

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4411992 - 03/21/18 07:09 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: - Ice]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by - Ice
why make compromises when you shouldn't have to? Think of it this way --- you're happy with your FDL now compared to the Chieftain, right? Now think about how happy you will be with a better module (engineered) rather than a stock one?

I can't offer a counter argument to this point really, or at least one that would seem sensible to most sensible people. Sure it would be great if everything was better. But it's already good enough now. Bragging, but I flew in a High RES for almost two hours yesterday. Shot down dozens of ships and didn't take a scratch on the shiny new paint. Better is good, yeah, but I don't need it to be any better really. Better jump range, sure I'd like that. But I can still fly it anywhere I want, either through more jumps or ship transfer (FDL is expensive to whistle for I must say!)

The problem as I see it with engineering is what you need to do to attain it. Needing one unit of sulphur isn't much is it? But that's only the entrance to that rabbit hole. As I said, I see doing this down the line. But it's not for me at the mo I don't believe. It's not necessarily that I don't want a better ship, just I don't want to do what it takes. For now. The way I see it, it leaves an entire huge part of the Elite experience for me to look forward to and learn. Just not in to it right now.

And now the stuff that will make people wonder what's wrong with me....

I think it''s fun to face these issues, the weaknesses of a ship, and to find a solution, or a workaround, or to be forced to accept the limitation. If the FDL had 21 JR, where is the tradeoff for such a combat monster? There are no holes in it's game any longer. You can engineer the faults away. That's cool and all, for those who are in to it. I sort of like being forced to compromise, to have to choose this thing or that. Engineering would just mean I can have it all, as you alluded to in your post Ice.

I could fish for trout and use bait. Hell I could use grenades, and catch alot more fish. But I choose to use artificial flies. Because it's more challenging, and therefore more rewarding. I could drive an automatic transmission car, but I drive a stick. For me there's more to it than simply getting the most min-maxxed thing I can find. I fully accept this is not a popular stance, but it's kinda how I roll.

#4412021 - 03/21/18 08:43 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I can have nothing but respect for those who did the Engineer grind when it was first introduced. That type of RNG was too much for me. This new system I can deal with. smile

That, plus the money grind is more-or-less sorted for me. I know what I need to do for that and where.
Pew-pew is again sorted. I can fit a Python to my specs with no problem, or sell that and fit a FDL. Might need to money-grind if I want both ships in my hangar.
Exploration is fun, but not my cup of tea.

So Engineers it is. Again, it makes me do gameplay I never would've done before, which is a good and welcome change from the usual grind. That, plus everything I do in Engineers is going to help me when I do other things like trading (FSD) and pew-pew (power plant).

Originally Posted by DBond
I flew in a High RES for almost two hours yesterday. Shot down dozens of ships and didn't take a scratch on the shiny new paint. Better is good, yeah, but I don't need it to be any better really. Better jump range, sure I'd like that. But I can still fly it anywhere I want, either through more jumps or ship transfer (FDL is expensive to whistle for I must say!)

Fair point, but another aspect is that Engineers do not really make you pew-pew above your skills, but it can make your ship better at pew-pew. Imagine if you were in a High RES for 2 hours and took down 20 ships.... with engineered modules, you could've probably taken down 30!! It doesn't make you better at combat, it makes you deadlier. It doesn't teach you how to turn with FSD off, but it can make your turns snappier. It doesn't help you get guns on target, but it makes it more painful for the enemy when you do.

Think of your best day on your best ship. 100%. Cool. Awesome. Engineers can make that best day on that best ship 120%.... or maybe even more.

The problem as I see it with engineering is what you need to do to attain it. Needing one unit of sulphur isn't much is it? But that's only the entrance to that rabbit hole.

Gateway drug, my friend. I'll attest to that. And it's all my fault for asking Wingy biggrin

No rush though. Go do your stuff now, enjoy. Engineers will be here when you're ready. At that point, you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner smile

I think it''s fun to face these issues, the weaknesses of a ship, and to find a solution, or a workaround, or to be forced to accept the limitation. If the FDL had 21 JR, where is the tradeoff for such a combat monster? There are no holes in it's game any longer. You can engineer the faults away. That's cool and all, for those who are in to it. I sort of like being forced to compromise, to have to choose this thing or that. Engineering would just mean I can have it all, as you alluded to in your post Ice.

You misunderstand. Do not compare engineered ships with stock ones; it's not fair. Apples to apples, your engineered FDL may have 21 jump range, but it still won't be good for travelling compared to an engineered DBX.

When A-rated modules used to be the end-game, 100%, think of it as like 70% and engineered modules are now the 100%. The bar has been raised higher, and if I understand it correctly, gives nice variations to the end-game of a module and ultimately, of a ship. You can have modules that fire further, making your pew-pew ship more longer-ranged at 100%, or you can have modules that run cooler, making you more stealthy at 100%. Therefore, you can fine tune your ship to how you want it to be, even if we both have the same modules.

it's kinda how I roll.

And that's perfectly fine too! Just presenting the case for Engineers. Yes, it's another grind, just as we grind for money or reputation or ranking. Whether you choose to spend time on it is up to you. Just know that whether you choose to go exploring or mission running or combat, Engineers can help in all areas. Why deny yourself improved performance? I rest my case biggrin biggrin biggrin

- Ice
#4412067 - 03/21/18 11:19 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK let's say I acquired some of these mats, such as biotech conductors. Do they get stored at no weight or space cost? Where do they go?

I still have no desire to grind this stuff, but it can be obtained through mission rewards.

#4412070 - 03/21/18 11:42 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I see where it is in the ship's inventory, and I have a few bits already. What about the data that I also see in the inventory., What is that used for?

#4412106 - 03/22/18 03:27 AM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Materials weigh nothing and there is no penalty even if you had everyone maxed. Sure locating some of the Grade 5 materials is a pain in the a$$. Just ask I'll help. There are a bunch of guides out there as well.

ICE mentioned in a thread about limpets. He's right about that. Using my Python I have a 3A Limpet controller fitted along with a 64 ton cargo hold. What I do is take 30 limpets with me to the Res site of choice. Do the bang, bang a little and then look at my Contact Screen (from the bottom up). See all those materials. They take up NO cargo space at all. I open the Cargo Hatch and put out 2 limpets. 3A controller will keep them active for 720 seconds. That's a long time or a lot of material gathering. If you see a particular Material that is important to you, target it before releasing the limpet. Limpet will go directly for it, bringing it back then self destruct. Also while the limpets are still active I close the Cargo Scoop and they follow me around during the fight like remoras to a shark.

BTW Anacondas and FDLs release some grade 5 mats once in a while. It pays to look in the aftermath.

Wingy

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4412165 - 03/22/18 12:26 PM Re: Module Priority [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Wingnuts. I would need to see a list to see what is important. On the sightseeing missions I'm running these days, there is often the option to take about half the money and get some materials. Things like the aforementioned biotech conductors, or focus crystals. It says rarity grade 4 and 5 most of the time. What sort of quantity is required. Would 4 biotech conductors useful, or just a drop in the bucket?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.