Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4411428 - 03/19/18 05:43 AM Fer-de-Lance  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Had a good day today with the grand opening of my new interstellar sightseeling venture. The extra cash, and some changes to the fleet, and now I have a new bounty hunter.

[Linked Image]

I sold my Cobra for about 8m, and the Chieftain for about 61m. Flew the Asp X to a Li Yong Rui system and bought the FDL for 43. It's now all A-rated, and really only needs armor, but that's a lot of space ducats. It took a while flying to 3 or 4 stations to get all of the modules. No place seemed to have more than one or two. But total price to this point is 67m, which is great, when you consider what a freakin' throughbred it is. The speed and acceleration are fantastic. The jump range is poor and the fuel tank is a joke. But it has power for anything, amazing performance, hits like a freight train. I put a pulse laser on the huge HP and multi-cannons on the four mediums. Not very adventurous choices I'll admit, but goodness it shreds. There is so much power headroom on this ship that any weapons can work. Any anything could work.

With a Bi-weave and four boosters the shields are almost 700. 6 utility slots. Boosts over 400. I like the sounds, the ship feels unique in many ways. Rolls like a Focke-Wulf 190. The cockpit view isn't the best, but the pit itself is cool. As equipped, the jump range is only 13, which is poor. You can see in the screenshot how much power there is still to play with. Might even be able to get away with a 5A and save 10 tons and the cash along with it. My first foray in to a RES ended with me thinking of selling the Vulture. I know I'm not the first to fly one, but the FDL might be what I had been looking for smile

Attached Files ferdelance.jpg

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4411443 - 03/19/18 10:35 AM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
You **SOLD** the Chieftain? Why?

12LY jump range. Ouch. That just screams engineers to me.

Also never really liked the hardpoints on the FDL, the guns look tiny on them. Still want to like the FDL though. Might have to give it another try sometime. One of my peeves was that for the target to be engaged by all hardpoints, it has to be around the area in the cockpit that' perfectly blocked by a canopy frame. See if that's still there? Also would like to hear your thoughts on getting the belly hardpoint to track targets.

- Ice
#4411449 - 03/19/18 11:30 AM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Why, to get a FDL of course! biggrin

I don't know, it's a good ship, the Chieftain. But I just don't get on with the flight characteristics all that well. I can be effective in it as I talked about in the review. It's not a bad ship, just maybe not for me. I wanted to check out the FDL, and this was the way to make that happen.

Jump range is poor yes, but it doesn't concern me that much. I'm in the habit of parking it next to some RES sites and using it for bounty hunting when I feel the urge. So it doesn't need to travel much, unless it's CG. My Vulture has 10 JR, so this is a luxury biggrin I can forgive the JR for this sort of speed and awesome acceleration.

I found the FDL hard points excellent. Four medium multi-cannons really make broadside 'Condas sparkle!

#4411452 - 03/19/18 11:45 AM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
For a crazy time, try loading the FdL with all Cannons (fixed for max impact). If all 5 projectiles hit, many smaller ships become one hit kills, even when they have shields up!

This loadout has it's downsides, but it's a load of fun.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4411455 - 03/19/18 12:24 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK Adlabs, I'll give it a go. What other combinations do people like on the FDL? Does anyone else currently have one in their fleet? What's your build?

I couldn't get over the insane acceleration in this ship last night. Nothing can scoot away. Some ships may have slightly higher top end, but I wonder if anything gets there quicker than the FDL? Sounds like an old Indian motorcycle. I never thought I would spend money on ship aesthetics, but if I decide to keep it, which it looks like I will, I will have to do something about the paint. No red ships for me. Cop-magnet biggrin

I had gone on Coriolis and was playing with a few builds and decided to have a look at the FDL. I put all the modules in as I thought I would like it for bounty hunting, and scrolled down to see the cost, expecting to see 92 million or something like that, and it was 65m. I thought, well I can swing that with a bit of fleet adjustment. And so it proved. Compared to some other ships, like the Chieftain or Python, the cost to get it A-rated is quite reasonable. I spent 42m in upgrades on the Chieftain, but only 24m on the FDL (albeit all in LRY systems). It's not done yet, but all of the most costly upgrades are in place, aside from armor.

#4411485 - 03/19/18 04:06 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I've still got mine, but I rarely fly it lately. Also tinkering with the FAS and FGS (for anti-Thargoid combat).

My FdL has a 5A shield, a 4A SCB, and then some armor/module packs. I all core modules are "A" rated, and then I "B" rate my drives and Power Plant, on the strength of their added armor integrity, just in case.

I've tried a few weapon combos, all Multi Cannons, all Cannons, all Lasers, and then some weird combos. One setup I recall testing was 1 huge and 2 med beam lasers, with 2 med rail guns. Gets toasty fast when firing, but it's a serious bit of firepower.

The maneuverability is fantastic on the FdL (and very similar on the FAS). It can turn so tightly that it will actually "stall" inside it's own forward acceleration.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4411494 - 03/19/18 04:45 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks man. I've read about potential heat problems, but not experienced that yet. Four MCs helps to keep it down. I had actually looked for a station selling the size 4MC, but none had it. I could have just searched EDDB for it. But at that stage I had it ready to go and was itching to take it in to combat. I stayed up after 2 AM to have some fun with it. Paying for it today. One of the guys was still up, night owl like me smile

I really enjoyed flying and fighting in the FDL. Over the past few weeks I've been lamenting the fact that no ship was calling me, none screamed 'this is the ship for me'. Python was, and I suppose remains, my goal. But having strapped the FDL on, my initial thoughts were that this ship is ME. Hard to explain, but I suppose everyone knows the feeling. I felt like I instantly took to it, like I had been flying one for a long time. Old glove sort of stuff. 'Lance romance, maybe. I don't know that I'll have reason to fly the Vulture now. I hate the thought of selling it, but I may just do, to help kickstart the Python fund. Can get about 20m for it, so that's good. And I could always buy another. But for bounty hunting and kill missions, I doubt I'll fly anything other than the FDL for the forseeable future.

The vertical thrusters on this ship are fantastic. 'Coordinated turns' with thrusters make it a a match for the Vulture in maneuverability in my opinion. But a lot faster, harder hitting and a much better shield tank. Plus I find it visually appealing, unlike the Vulture. The Vulture is probably the best value in Elite. But once you can afford to move beyond that, the FDL is a sharp step up.

I had been looking to expand my fleet, but after today I might be down to just two.

#4411502 - 03/19/18 05:01 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by DBond
Thanks man. I've read about potential heat problems, but not experienced that yet. Four MCs helps to keep it down. I had actually looked for a station selling the size 4MC, but none had it.

Yea, when you get one of the Class 4 MCs installed, the sound of it's 4 barrels blasting away is incredible!

Last edited by adlabs6; 03/19/18 05:02 PM.

#4411505 - 03/19/18 05:15 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm just concerned with the ability to drop shields with a build like that. But ya know, in PvE at least, I don't need to single-handedly destroy a ship. As long as some hits are scored I'll share in the bounty. An all-multi build sounds like fun for sure. I'll let you know how I get on with it, once I've found one that is. I could just shadow, wait for the NPCs to strip the shield and then blast away with my sparkle makers.

#4411518 - 03/19/18 06:13 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know, right? biggrin

Attached Files FDL1.jpgFDL2.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 03/19/18 06:15 PM.

#4411520 - 03/19/18 06:22 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Thats a sweet craft DBond.

While you guys swim in dollars I just fought hard, like landing at Iwo Jima, to tip my credits into 2 mil my last two bounties of 64k total.

Looks like you guys spend 2 mil just on rear mirror paint.

God I hate this game smile

#4411525 - 03/19/18 06:35 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oden! I was wondering where you had gotten to. Just thinking about you yesterday. Still plugging away?

Are you RES farming? Just fly wing on a cop, preferably a big one like an Anaconda, and shoot his target. The space ducats will follow smile

#4411534 - 03/19/18 07:13 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

With what you've spent on the FDL, you could've gotten the Python.

I wonder if they've buffed the FDL since I last tried it then? Doesn't sound like the FDL I was flying!

- Ice
#4411535 - 03/19/18 07:14 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Oden, wing up sometime and we'll get you credits easy smile

- Ice
#4411547 - 03/19/18 07:38 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: - Ice]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by - Ice
With what you've spent on the FDL, you could've gotten the Python.

True and not enough re-buy to recover when that E-rated Python gets smoked by a gang of Eagles! biggrin I definitely feel I made the correct choice for my current state of affairs. I'm going to take some of that left over change and swap the shields for a standard 5A. Probably a better choice than Bi-Weaves for the FDL, and since I still have power to play with it's worth a go.

I just ran some builds on an iCourier. I'm going to buy one to replace the Cobra. Just need to get started on Empire rank. 12m including 3A advanced thrusters. Speed is 341/463. All A-rated with four boosters and it's 450mj with a Bi-Weave. That sounds like fun. I've missed my Eagle ever since selling it. Just love the look and ability to carve insane arcs.

Don't really NEED one, but I think I'll give it a go. Use it as an actual courier running data missions and quick stops to the local RES. 17 jump range is workable. I have the money now, but if I sell the Vulture I'll have plenty plus 8 million to add to the bank account.

iCourier Build

Last edited by DBond; 03/19/18 08:45 PM.

#4411553 - 03/19/18 08:13 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Note that the site you're using is old and may be inaccurate. Newer one is
https://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/

Would love to hear your thoughts on the FDL after you've got the Python.... though I suspect you'll sell one to get the other? I'll need more credits if I want to test this out; I want to have both A-rated and ready to go to be able to do a good comparison.

- Ice
#4411557 - 03/19/18 08:32 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'll be happy to report, but I understand I'll need 150m to get a decent Python, correct? That is a LONG way off, especially if I'm running 10k courier missions in my new whirlybird.

Who knows what I will sell down the line. But if my first impressions of the FDL stick, I won't be selling this thing. Of all the ships I've flown so far

'Winder
Eagle
Cobra III
Viper III
Asp X
Vulture
FDL

The FDL is the first one where I felt like it's the ONE. I love the Asp for it's versatility. I love the Vulture for it's bang for the buck. The Cobra because it set me free.The Eagle for it's looks and agility. But it was the FDL that seemed to fit like a glove.

#4411559 - 03/19/18 08:39 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, thanks for pointing that out about Coriolis. That's caught me out a few times now. I updated the build. Not as impressive performance, but great shields (it better have for that hull), decent firepower and still excellent speed. 16t of cargo, a scoop. Seems like fun, and I can always sell it for a tiny loss.

Last edited by DBond; 03/19/18 08:47 PM.

#4411773 - 03/20/18 09:10 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Adlabs, I installed a class 4 MC and took the FDL out with nothing but cannons and commitment smile

It really shreds! I had no trouble collapsing shields with it on anything smaller than a Clipper. Clipper and above I need me some laser. But something like an Eagle or Viper III kinda goes *poof*.

I also swapped out the Bi-Weave for a bog-standard 5A. Up to nearly 900mj with four boosters. The new shields and the massive honking cannon set me back 8 million after trade, which put a bit of a dent on. There's still a ways to go with this build, but she's a terror in a RES.

Since I'm also using this thread to discuss my other new fighter lol, a bit of an update. So after taking the upgraded FDL out for a spin, I pulled up stakes and moved 130 lightyears in to Empire territory. The object was to gain Empire rank and buy an Imperial Courier for the joy of it all. I probably gained enough rep in the first hour and a half. I stacked a bunch of data missions and took the rep reward option. The first one I turned in gave my 50% of the first rank. I've since turned in a couple dozen. Probably enough by now to hit at least Grand Poobah.

But no, since I have no relations in these systems, I can't get the rank-up missions. So now I have to fly a bunch of missions to get to what, friendly? My Empire relations are friendly, but not any faction yet, and I have not gotten a single rank up mission yet. Flying missions doesn't help much, because each one is to a different location, and you're spreading the love around everywhere, but never enough in any one spot. So I've whistled for my FDL. I figure I can just bounty hunt in one system, and get it up that way.

What exactly are the criteria for spawning rank-up missions. In Fed territory it wasn't a problem, since I had spent the whole game there. But newly arrived in Imperial space, it's a struggle to trip these ranks. I've earned enough to buy my new Courier, but I can't get the rank.

Last edited by DBond; 03/20/18 09:27 PM.

#4411778 - 03/20/18 09:55 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

You may be rank 5 with Imperials but if you're only rank 1 with the local Imperial faction, you won't get much from the local faction.

- Ice
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.