#4411779 - 03/20/18 10:15 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by - Ice
You may be rank 5 with Imperials but if you're only rank 1 with the local Imperial faction, you won't get much from the local faction.

I'm sorry Ice, I don't understand what you are saying.

My Empire rep, or whatever it's called, is currently at 80%, and shown as friendly. First rank requirement was 100% after the second or third data mission was handed in. So I'm now way beyond 100%.

Many factions in the nearby systems are now Cordial, but none are Friendly yet. Is that what I have to get? Friendly faction relations in an Empire-controlled system?

I've tried reloading a few times to get it to spawn, which worked well enough when gaining Federation rank.

Can any type of faction give these missions, or is it only the military ones, with a Commander shown leading the faction?

This is one place where the RNGeezus has no place. Once you meet the criteria (100% of the current rank requirement), the rank up mission should spawn automatically. It's for the Imperial Navy, what should a minor faction have to do with it?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4411794 - 03/21/18 12:09 AM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by DBond
Many factions in the nearby systems are now Cordial, but none are Friendly yet. Is that what I have to get? Friendly faction relations in an Empire-controlled system?

Yep, that's what I'm saying. You may have high rep with the Imperials as a whole, but if you have no rep with the local Imperial faction, then you won't get their higher missions. Just as you can be in Imperial space and be green with an Imperial station (meaning you have high rep with the people who run the staion), you can jump over to the system next door, still be under Imperial space, but not be green with the Imperial station there.

- Ice
#4411804 - 03/21/18 01:06 AM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Adlabs, I installed a class 4 MC and took the FDL out with nothing but cannons and commitment smile

It really shreds! I had no trouble collapsing shields with it on anything smaller than a Clipper. Clipper and above I need me some laser. But something like an Eagle or Viper III kinda goes *poof*.

I also swapped out the Bi-Weave for a bog-standard 5A. Up to nearly 900mj with four boosters. The new shields and the massive honking cannon set me back 8 million after trade, which put a bit of a dent on. There's still a ways to go with this build, but she's a terror in a RES.

Yep, my FdL has excellent shields, but I'll be first in line to tell you that in a focus of fire, those shields will drop and the FdL does die fast. I've only ever had ONE ship rebuy in Elite, in nearly 3 years of play (yes, just one). And it was due to over confidence and pilot error... fighting in my FdL.

Also, regarding rank up missions for Superpowers, I read that there is currently a bug with these missions not spawning (or spawning very rarely). So probably nothing to worry about for the moment, if you can't find one.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4411811 - 03/21/18 02:04 AM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If that's true there's a bug, well then I've been wasting my efforts lol.

I was going to put some lasers back on the FDL once it arrived at my new station, but the custom shop didn't have the right ones. So with nothing but cannons, and some power overhead, I took it out bounty hunting with six shield boosters, and it was 1033mj. I stayed in the RES until I had nothing but 90 rounds for the big cannon left, just in case I got jumped on the way home. Turned in 3m in bounties, which got the controlling faction friendly, but still no rank mission. Bug, as you say?

The shields stayed up the whole time. That's more than twice the shields on my Vulture. Once I start rounding out the build with an interdictor and some other weapons, I won't be able to run all those boosters. But at least I know I can go cannon and big shield when it strikes the fancy.

but if you have no rep with the local Imperial faction, then you won't get their higher missions.

Yes, but what rep is required? And does it matter which faction? Is friendly a requirement, or just gives it a higher chance? Maybe it's bugged like adlabs says, I've now got a few factions friendly and nada. I just wanted to buy a Courier. It's so cool.

#4411851 - 03/21/18 09:10 AM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Not done missions in a long while but looking at the mission board now, you may see some missions that ou are locked out of, either due to ship requirements or more likely, rep requirements.

Have you considered putting a collector limpet and brining some drones along? Slows you down a bit but there are LOTS of materials to be had that would be useful for Engineers later on. Maybe I could tag along next time and clean up after you? biggrin

- Ice
#4411871 - 03/21/18 11:23 AM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No I don't pick anything up, but sure you're welcome to tag along. Bring the Cutter!

Snapped a pic at the instant the target exploded. The FDL doing what it does best

[Linked Image]

The neighborhood at my new digs.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files boom.jpgnewdigs.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 03/21/18 11:25 AM.

#4411913 - 03/21/18 03:06 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Cutter's not fit for the job, I think. It's like driving a big semi truck. You're about 275LY away from me.... might bring the Asp instead, or the Python if you need some pew-pew help smile

- Ice
#4411920 - 03/21/18 03:24 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, but it can mass lock everything for me to shoot!

Tell me more about what you're talking about. Let's say I did take the time to gather the bits and pieces of my victims. What's it useful for? Just for selling? What's the scoop?

You get a collector limpet and set it free to do your bidding? Do you have to stay still? Could I send one out and keep dogfighting and it would chase me around until it can get the stuff on board? No, they have a limited timer right?

#4411943 - 03/21/18 04:33 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
If that's true there's a bug, well then I've been wasting my efforts lol.

Maybe not wasted. IIRC, the percentage *might* roll beyond 100% in the background. So there may be some chance you'll find after your rank up mission, you'll start with that surplus already counting toward the next rank.

It's been a while, but I seem to recall this happening to me once.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4411952 - 03/21/18 04:51 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, that's true. It does keep rolling behind the scenes so to speak. But there is also a decay to it as well, indicated by a red down arrow. Probably like 1% per day so nothing to worry about.

Wasting my time was a poor choice of words. But the fact is that I have been eschewing the money in favor of rep. And I left a lot of money on the table that could have been useful now.

One example... I took a sightseeing mission as that's my profession now smile Payout was 2.7 million or thereabouts, OR I could choose to get 1.2 million and Rep+++++. I chose the latter, which helps me get to Grand Poobah, but since I can't actually rank up I'm left feeling like the money would have been better under the current circumstances. So I haven't wasted my time, but I did choose the wrong reward with things as they stand now, apparently.

#4411958 - 03/21/18 05:07 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

That's assuming I can get in range for mass lock! smile

You pew-pew, they go boom, I come in with my limpets and collect the useful debris. All of these can be used for Engineer upgrades one way or another; I don't think you can sell them but you can trade them for other materials of the same type. You can continue pew-pew with collector limpets in tow but it's the range that's the issue. A size 5 collector has a 1.56km range which is nothing when you're in combat. A size 7 gets up to 2.04km, again not very much if you're dogfighting and boosting all over the place. Oh, and you have to have you cargo door open for them to deposit their cargo, so you either open/close your cargo door every so often or you fly around like you've got your landing gear down.

- Ice
#4411998 - 03/21/18 07:29 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK thanks Ice. That will come in handy. I stayed out of the current CG because I wouldn't know what to do. But essentially it is just what you're talking about. Shoot Thargoids and collect and turn in the flotsam. I should give it a go.

Looks like adlabs was right, or at least many other commanders are saying the same thing I am about rank up missions in the current patch. My timing is atrocious

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/416314-No-Rank-Up-Mission

This line was in the latest patch notes

Superpower Rank-up Missions have been moved to the Follow On Missions section to make them easier to find

Guessing something went wrong.

Last edited by DBond; 03/21/18 08:24 PM.

#4412177 - 03/22/18 01:02 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Word on the street is this is fixed now. I came quite close to buying an Imperial Eagle last night, since I couldn't get the Courier, and the iEagle isn't rank-gated and costs just 110k. But if the rank missions are working again I'll hold out for the Courier.

I am also eyeing an Orca. I think I read that at like 0.016% of all pilots, the Orca is the least used ship in Elite. So I gotta get one. DBond's Interstellar Sightseeing Company would look much more professional with an Orca in the fleet, don't you think? See the stars in style and luxury.

#4412197 - 03/22/18 02:42 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I am also eyeing an Orca. I think I read that at like 0.016% of all pilots, the Orca is the least used ship in Elite. So I gotta get one. DBond's Interstellar Sightseeing Company would look much more professional with an Orca in the fleet, don't you think? See the stars in style and luxury.

I've had my Orca for a year or more. Great ship. Fast, nimble, good range, easy to fly and land.

I actually prefer it to my Beluga, which does seem a bit more luxurious, but lacks the zippy character of the Orca.

#4412201 - 03/22/18 02:53 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
An Orca pilot?! I didn't expect anyone here would say they had one. I built one on Coriolis, and it came in around 80m, but jump range was just 23. Love the speed and massive passenger ability. But that JR is a bit low for sightseeing. Would be a great shuttle though.

Did you fit a luxury cabin? Did you see a sharp step up in mission profit with one of those, or is it not a big deal? What cabin arrangements are you using? There is no SLF on an Orca correct?

#4412206 - 03/22/18 03:10 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
My jump is around 30LY, maybe a touch more, with engineering.

Yes, I do have Luxury cabins on my Orca and Beluga. I rotate them with a set of Business and 1st Class cabins I keep in storage, for different situations.

Before I comment on profit: It's been since before 3.0 that I ran any passenger missions. Not sure how they currently pay.

But back then, in my Orca or Beluga, I'd easily earn $7 million to $12 million per sight-seeing mission trip. If I was lucky and able to stack a couple of tourist missions to the same sites, it might total $20 million for the trip, even for passengers that only wanted an Economy cabin. Some cool sights to see out there, too. I maintain a checklist of all the Visitor Beacons I've scanned on these trips.

And no, no SLF for the Orca. But I've never fitted one on the Beluga, either.

I do carry an SRV on both, though. For surface based Visitor Beacons, I'll drive the SRV out and scan the beacon with that, instead of just hovering and scanning it with the ship. Simply fantastic views, driving the SRV out among geysers, volcanic eruptions, and other features, and seeing my ship parked off in the background. Again, not necessary to use the SRV for these. I merely do it for the added enjoyment of the game.

#4412218 - 03/22/18 04:01 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great reply, very helpful, thanks.

I've really enjoyed becoming a tour pilot. As you noted, you get to see some of the most beautiful and amazing sights in Elite and it's highly profitable.I'm not making the sort of money you are talking about, more like 1 to 7 million per trip, plus I make another 100-400k per trip in cartographic data..Since starting the new career last week I imagine it's netted in the neighborhood of 50m. I'm Pathfinder rank, and when that goes to the next level I should be making even more. Most of the highest paying ones I'm taking now are a rank above me.

This is the best income rate I've had yet in Elite. New ships yay!

#4418447 - 04/30/18 01:31 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I had sold my FDL when I wanted to finance a different ship, I think it was the Python. I was very impressed with the FDL as a combat craft of course. Fast, fairly agile, hard hitting, amazing shields. I planned to get another one once I felt it affordable. And then after I started engineering I was eager to see what she could do with improved whizbangs.

So that's what I've done. Bought another FDL and engineered her. This makes 7 ships in the fleet currently. The list is

AspX
Vulture
Python
Keelback
Courier
Orca
FDL

I had started taking assasination missions,and was using the Python. With engineered thrusters and weapons the Python is pretty devastating. But I found I was always reconfiguring the Python because it's my main trader as well. So I wanted to add a ship, a dedicated combat ship that was more capable than the Vulture in one v one against the dangerous foes you encounter in assassination missions.

So I bought the FDL, happened to have an overcharged 5A power plant lying around, and kitted her out. She is quite fast, hits even harder and great shields. Engineering takes time, so she isn't quite done yet. But basically she is...

-- Fast. Top speed is 400+, boosts to 565. That's with partial G4 Dirty Drives. Once I complete the thrusters and add an experimental I'm hoping she'll boost to 600, but that's a little too far I think. This makes the ship slightly slower than my Orca and Courier, but still uncatchable in PvE. Grade 5 plus Drags might pull her even with the Orca, we shall see. At G3 she was dead even with the G5/Drag Python. So any further engineering makes the performance surpass the best the Python can do. Significantly more agile, especially in pitch.

-- Shield tank extraordinaire. I tend to go with Bi-Weaves on my fighters, and here too. It's already over 1000mj, which is awesome with Bi-Weaves, and more to come. Reinforced mod with a bunch of shield boosters.

-- Hard hitting. I'm nothing if not predictable. I went with 2x Medium MC, 1x Huge MC all overcharged and auto-loader. 2x Medium Efficient Pulse lasers. All weapons are gimballed. Not sure which hits harder, the Python or the FDL. It's 3 Large/2 Medium vs 1 Huge/4 Medium and in the end it's probably about the same. It feels like the Python is slightly more deadly, probably due to the larger Pulse Lasers which strip shields faster.

-- Hot. Runs at 33% heat currently. Hottest ship I have

-- Short range. FSD is G4 until I get the mats. That's 20 jump range. And that's the shortest in the fleet, surpassing the 23 of the Vulture. Add the tiny fuel tank and the range is quite short. I almost jumped to no fuel yesterday, but caught it in time and cancelled the jump. That would have been embarrassing. Mass Manager and grade 5 is going to help here, but I need to fly it to an engineer. 20 jump. Ugg.

Filling out the build (which I plan to post when done) are a 4A Scoop, 4D FSDI, ADS and DSS, KWS, This left one unused class 2 optional slot which I filled with a HRP. I might put armor on it eventually, but those shields! Hoping it's not necessary.

This ship is another one using an engineered lower class power plant. I believe only my Vulture is currently using the full-class PP. This is awesome because it saves money and mass and makes for lower re-buy which hopefully I won't need. Currently the PP in the FDL is G2 with the double-braced experimental to restore the integrity lost with the overcharge mod.

Distributor is G3 Enhanced Charge with the Cluster thingy.

After all of this engineering I finally managed to get it to the CG and get some bounty hunting in. Quite a combination of speed, protection and firepower. Having owned the ship before, I knew this of course (as does anyone who plays Elite and pays attention, regardless if they've owned the ship), and I knew that engineering would really make her shine, and so it is.

#4418984 - 05/03/18 07:34 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Here's the current build

Fer de Lance

Still a ways to go, but this is one fast snake with a hell of a bite

And having run both my FDL and Python through Coriolis I can see my hunch was correct. The Python is getting 105 DPS, while the FDL is 100 smile

Last edited by DBond; 05/03/18 07:42 PM.

#4419087 - 05/04/18 12:59 PM Re: Fer-de-Lance [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

AspX
Vulture
Python
Keelback
Courier
Orca
FDL

Ooops, out of date... add a DBX to this list biggrin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.