Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4410119 - 03/11/18 11:21 PM Re: Uum what? [Re: IceecI]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
^^^^^^^^

Bang on the money. Can someone let me know when licences can be transferred again. I've had enough of ED's crap and some unlucky chap can have mine.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4410135 - 03/12/18 12:14 AM Re: Uum what? [Re: IceecI]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
lawncareby20mm

popcorn popcorn popcorn

- Ice
#4410150 - 03/12/18 01:22 AM Re: Uum what? [Re: ST0RM]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted by ST0RM
The memory leak has been introduced since a patch made to 2.2. Ya know, the stuttering issues in NTTR/Normandy?
So yes, I do believe that it has been present in the build PRIOR to 2.5 being released, based on my and several other's reports of the same issues that began in the 2.0 build and continued through it.

See the problem lies with people like you Sobek, that come to ED's defense at every mention that there is a legit discrepancy. The excuse of "its Beta" is crap when it comes to this type of issue. I'd expect some features not working or missing, but when you cripple the playability of the core game in both SP and MP, you've got some serious problems that just didnt appear overnight. The ED forum has turned into a "Sanctuary State" where nothing negative can be reported and acknowledged. 3rd Party devs are safe to ignore their obligations to their customers and if the customers speak out, that joke of a Community Manager shuts down the customer. He even called it a safe area.

So the hard evidence is there, even though you choose to ignore it. I'm not speaking just to #%&*$# about something, I just want the core to be usable. And with as much money that I've sunk into the modules and maps, I'm a paying customer that expects a product to be functional in a reasonable amount of time. So far, this hasnt been the case.

I didn't know things were so bad, I guess ignorance is bliss smile

#4410209 - 03/12/18 01:10 PM Re: Uum what? [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss

I didn't know things were so bad, I guess ignorance is bliss smile

Unfortunately yes.
My P3D install has been getting some serious airtime.

#4410218 - 03/12/18 02:41 PM Re: Uum what? [Re: IceecI]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
biggrin

P3D : it only gets better and better

smile

#4410222 - 03/12/18 02:53 PM Re: Uum what? [Re: ST0RM]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
The memory leak has been introduced since a patch made to 2.2. Ya know, the stuttering issues in NTTR/Normandy?
So yes, I do believe that it has been present in the build PRIOR to 2.5 being released, based on my and several other's reports of the same issues that began in the 2.0 build and continued through it.

See the problem lies with people like you Sobek, that come to ED's defense at every mention that there is a legit discrepancy. The excuse of "its Beta" is crap when it comes to this type of issue. I'd expect some features not working or missing, but when you cripple the playability of the core game in both SP and MP, you've got some serious problems that just didnt appear overnight. The ED forum has turned into a "Sanctuary State" where nothing negative can be reported and acknowledged. 3rd Party devs are safe to ignore their obligations to their customers and if the customers speak out, that joke of a Community Manager shuts down the customer. He even called it a safe area.

So the hard evidence is there, even though you choose to ignore it. I'm not speaking just to #%&*$# about something, I just want the core to be usable. And with as much money that I've sunk into the modules and maps, I'm a paying customer that expects a product to be functional in a reasonable amount of time. So far, this hasnt been the case.

^^^^^^^^^ This!
This is all I expect of ED and DCS 2.5. A core game that is well optimized and works well in the basic main features with bugs to be squashed as they go, not a core memory leak problem from the starting beta release. As stated above, it was either incompetence in being able to see this while they tested(I found it the first time I ran it with Process Lasso) or they simple pushed it out the door because of the promise Waggs made to release it. Either way, they should just tell the truth and make the memory leak(problem) the # 1 priority to resolve. Seeing ED announce damage model fixes to the Spitty when this glaring memory problem is still in 2.5 just doesn't lead me to believe that they have their priorities straight. Even if they are trying and haven't figured it out yet, their PR people should still be addressing the situation and letting its Customers know that they are fully engaged to repair this major problem. I just can't see how any company in its right mind would release a product with this glaring and crippling of a problem, promise or no promise. I am not a MP guy, but even if I wanted to try MP I could not because I only have 16GBs of memory, even though Ed's recommended Ram is 16GBs.

S!Blade<><

#4410328 - 03/13/18 06:24 AM Re: Uum what? [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

The memory leak has been introduced since a patch made to 2.2.

These issues you mention are not related. The stuttering in Normandy is the most likely reason that they had to introduce SpeedTree to Caucasus so late in its development.

Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Even if they are trying and haven't figured it out yet, their PR people should still be addressing the situation and letting its Customers know that they are fully engaged to repair this major problem. I just can't see how any company in its right mind would release a product with this glaring and crippling of a problem, promise or no promise.

Excerpt from the last newsletter from March, 9th:

Originally Posted by Chizh
Since the release of 2.5 DCS World Open Beta, the team has been hard at work addressing issues identified during the Open Beta process. In this sense, the Open Beta has been a great success and will result in a better finished product. Many issues have already been addressed like night lighting and Spitfire damage model, but we still have a few issues that we need to resolve before we can move DCS World 2.5 out of Open Beta. Some of these issues include a memory leak after starting several missions and more efficient shader compilation for first time mission loads.

#4410343 - 03/13/18 12:19 PM Re: Uum what? [Re: Sobek]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Sobek
Since the release of 2.5 DCS World Open Beta, the team has been hard at work addressing issues identified during the Open Beta process. In this sense, the Open Beta has been a great success and will result in a better finished product. Many issues have already been addressed like night lighting and Spitfire damage model, but we still have a few issues that we need to resolve before we can move DCS World 2.5 out of Open Beta. Some of these issues include a memory leak after starting several missions and more efficient shader compilation for first time mission loads.

The newsletter is March 9. When was Open Beta released? smile

It's also misleading, acting as if the memory leak was only discovered AFTER the Open Beta was released. If this is true, then ED did not know the state of OB when they released it. If this is false and ED did know about the memory leak before OB was released and released it anyway, they're lying to their customers. Take your pick.

- Ice
#4410348 - 03/13/18 12:44 PM Re: Uum what? [Re: IceecI]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

I pick the latter, ED have neen lying to their customers for years.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4410384 - 03/13/18 05:27 PM Re: Uum what? [Re: Sobek]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by Sobek

Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Even if they are trying and haven't figured it out yet, their PR people should still be addressing the situation and letting its Customers know that they are fully engaged to repair this major problem. I just can't see how any company in its right mind would release a product with this glaring and crippling of a problem, promise or no promise.

Two problems here as to what I highlighted in red from your quote.
1. The memory leak is there when you run the first mission. In my tests DCS uses 16GBs of memory in SP from the first second of the first mission onward.
2. DCS World's minimum Ram spec is 8 GBs. There is no way that will DCS will operate on 8GBs of Ram. Not to mention that MP uses 32GBs to be operational, from what I have read. Not an MP guy here.

Thank you for posting this as I missed this update, but it still shows EDs pure departure from reality concerning DCS 2.5. When you let something out into the public, Beta or not, with a problem that directly contradicts your published minimum specs to use your product, then there is a serious fubar in inter Dev Team communication, or they just knowingly shoved the product out the door with the major memory problems because Waggs made the "promise" that DCS 2.5 would be released on a certain date. IMHO, a bad idea in the first place. Never let your customers or publishers force you to release your product before it operates the way it is advertised to operate. Either way, it does not speak well for Ed's private Beta Testing people or an in house ethical honesty policy being used to evaluate product release status. Again, I hope ED gets this fixed pronto as I Love the WWII birds and I am still waiting on my P47 and Me262, but the way ED and certain other people want to hail this as a "Great Success in Open Beta" is just dumb and ignorant to me. Work hard on fixing the problem, keep us up to date on your progress and get it done quickly as you never should have released DCS 2.5 like this in the first place. If Ed does this, they will be heroes, if not, they will reap what they have sown like any other Flight Sim Dev Team. Good luck ED, I hope you figure it out soon for your benefit, and mine. salute

S!Blade<><

#4410765 - 03/15/18 07:06 PM Re: Uum what? [Re: IceecI]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

I'm cynical about all software releases, being first to market is paramount (let the users find the bugs) sorry not me!!

I dont buy ANY software for at least 3-4 years after release. I cant be bothered with the frustration of assisting some company "tune" their software to an acceptable product! All companies do this!! Microsoft one of the worst! look at Windows XP tablet version 2005 almost unknown (used a pressure sensitive pen), Vista, followed by Windows 8 they dont care, they do what they hope will become a "killer app" and then adjust later to save the company!! All software companies want to lead the pack, but users have the final word, but only after a lot of pain! I prefer to wait with old software that has the bugs worked out!!

My version of DCS is 1.57 I believe, no intention of changing anytime soon! Hardware prices come down quickly after a couple of years so cheaper to run the new hardware demanding software on new hardware if you wait! To me, buying new software is just an investment in frustration and plain dumb!

So what version of DCS are you using:

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.