Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4407284 - 02/25/18 04:45 AM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
Bunny287 Offline
Bunny287  Offline

Thanks guys for the info!

#4408019 - 02/28/18 03:16 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: carrick58]  
Tolkemec Offline
Tolkemec  Offline

Hello everybody. I am also a new player. I come from ROF, I am mostly a SP player, so I was fed up of the ROF AI and finally bought WOFF after some good reviews about the SP campaing. I am enjoying it throuroughly but I have some questions for you, if you would be so kind.

1.- I have created a pilot and I am currenty at my 7th missión, it is October 25th 1915.on the Marne region, and I have not seen a singe aircraft, (either enemy or ally), is this normal?

2.- In one mission my wingman was forced to land in no man's land (either by Archy or by engine failure) and has been declared mission or dead (I followed him but lost contact when I was shot at from ground MG). From then on, the wingman appears in my flight schedule as *missing or dead, but has not been replaced, so in my B Flight missions we are now 3 a/c instead of 4. Do I have to do something to get him replaced?

3.- In my last mission, we were circling an enemy airfield for 30 minutes, round and round we went, and when I was convinced we would be there forever, I went home alone. Is this working as intended? Should I have stayed there? (the mission should be between 100 and 110 minutes, this one took 130 and my friends were still there when I landed at my home airfield (I saw them via "J" key)

4.- And finally, with the "J" key I also saw a/c being severly clipped on the ground (only the top wings were visible, and freezed on take off enemy a/c (I checked the "J" key several times and the a/c were always in the same position). I don't know if I have done something wrong...

I have installed some mods, always reading the installation instructions, and I have checked the order via JGME, it is very similar to some mod soups I've seen here...

Thank you very much for your help!

#4408049 - 02/28/18 04:58 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
Hi Bunny,
Welcome to WOFF and enjoy yep

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4408055 - 02/28/18 05:10 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Tolkemec]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Originally Posted by Tolkemec
Hello everybody. I am also a new player. I come from ROF, I am mostly a SP player, so I was fed up of the ROF AI and finally bought WOFF after some good reviews about the SP campaing. I am enjoying it throuroughly but I have some questions for you, if you would be so kind.

1.- I have created a pilot and I am currenty at my 7th missión, it is October 25th 1915.on the Marne region, and I have not seen a singe aircraft, (either enemy or ally), is this normal?

2.- In one mission my wingman was forced to land in no man's land (either by Archy or by engine failure) and has been declared mission or dead (I followed him but lost contact when I was shot at from ground MG). From then on, the wingman appears in my flight schedule as *missing or dead, but has not been replaced, so in my B Flight missions we are now 3 a/c instead of 4. Do I have to do something to get him replaced?

3.- In my last mission, we were circling an enemy airfield for 30 minutes, round and round we went, and when I was convinced we would be there forever, I went home alone. Is this working as intended? Should I have stayed there? (the mission should be between 100 and 110 minutes, this one took 130 and my friends were still there when I landed at my home airfield (I saw them via "J" key)

4.- And finally, with the "J" key I also saw a/c being severly clipped on the ground (only the top wings were visible, and freezed on take off enemy a/c (I checked the "J" key several times and the a/c were always in the same position). I don't know if I have done something wrong...

I have installed some mods, always reading the installation instructions, and I have checked the order via JGME, it is very similar to some mod soups I've seen here...

1. 1915, the Marne, Yup, I'd say you might have a long wait between drinks. Follow your waypoints (use the Shift-T Tacview to start off with until you get the hang of navigating) and you'll see something eventually but 1915 isn't exactly the action era of WW1. I once flew an E.II career in the south and flew 7 or 8 missions with no enemy sighted.

2. No, he'll be cleared from the roster in due time. Idk exactly what the criteria for this is but it's probably when his replacement arrives

3. Just land first unless you want the extra hours in your log. The AI fart around forever in the circuit but as long as they are there in the circuit they are safe from the RNG declaring them dead.

4. I'll have to refer this one to more knowledgeable persons because I have no bloody idea why that would happen. Having never pressed the "J" key I have no idea what it even does!

Also, you can start your own thread asking for help, threads aren't rationed.

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 02/28/18 05:18 PM.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4408057 - 02/28/18 05:12 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Tolkemec]  
hoongadoonga Offline
hoongadoonga  Offline

Welcome Tolkemec. See answers below.

1 - Not unexpected for 1915. Not many aircraft that early in the war. You could go to the workshop settings (second page) and set Regional Air Activity to Ultra Heavy. Then you'll need to change it back to a lower setting for later in the war, unless you have an exceptional PC.

2 - No, you don't have to do anything. He will be replaced soon.

3 - Sometimes the mission is to patrol a specific area for a certain amount of time. There are also cases where the AI planes seem to wander around for no good reason.

4 - They say that the J key is "experimental" so perhaps that's the cause. I don't use the J key much, other than when I'm hunting for screenshots to take.

Last edited by hoongadoonga; 02/28/18 06:07 PM.
#4408157 - 02/28/18 11:06 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
Deejan Offline
Deejan  Offline

Ottawa,Ontario Canada
Bunny!! My apologies for not extending my warm welcome to you on joing the forum!! I entered it just after you. Welcome!!
Cheers!!

Deej

#4408251 - 03/01/18 09:20 AM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Tolkemec Offline
Tolkemec  Offline

Hello,thank you Ace Pilto and hoongadoonga for your answers!

@Ace Pilto... I've been watching your WOFF videos lately and I am glad to say you are one of the main reasons I finally bought WOFF! Any chance you will be streaming some more WOFF? Also, I've seen you change manually the wind in ME, does it make any difference? I don't feel there is any wind effect at all..

Yesterday I decided to crank up regional air activity to heavy and also increase the encounters tab. Finally I saw a boche two seater over no man's land, but he went down before I could get to him (I am in Escadrille 3 and Guynemere dispatched him in no time). I saw afterwards that two victories had been awarded to the aces of my flight, but in their pilot files there are no claims or victories filled in... the progression for the H/A is scripted?

Thanks again!

#4408254 - 03/01/18 09:55 AM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Welcome all, "J" key view allows you to wonder all over the whole map which is a massive area compared to other flight sims (pretty much the whole of Europe all loaded). So can cause various glitches, we decided to leave it there as experimental as it's fun too.
This observer view mode is discussed in the WOFF UE FAQ. Worth a read through as there are some gameplay related questions answered too.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/index_html_files/FAQ%20WOFF%20UE.pdf

As has been discussed many times, 1915 is quiet, as it was. Where possible we try to be realistic whilst trying to keep it interesting. A tricky balance sometimes.

It will also vary on your location, the enemies location, and the also can depend on aircraft not yet in WOFF. Where possible squadrons fly the actual craft they did at the correct periods of the war so if they fly a Turbo Nutter XL7 [tm] and we haven't made that yet, they won't fly. Sometimes we substitute a craft in the same series that is very similar if possible - but that/s fairly rare.

Last edited by Polovski; 03/01/18 10:09 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4408258 - 03/01/18 10:37 AM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Tolkemec]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Hello,thank you Ace Pilto and hoongadoonga for your answers!

@Ace Pilto... I've been watching your WOFF videos lately and I am glad to say you are one of the main reasons I finally bought WOFF! Any chance you will be streaming some more WOFF? Also, I've seen you change manually the wind in ME, does it make any difference? I don't feel there is any wind effect at all..

Yesterday I decided to crank up regional air activity to heavy and also increase the encounters tab. Finally I saw a boche two seater over no man's land, but he went down before I could get to him (I am in Escadrille 3 and Guynemere dispatched him in no time). I saw afterwards that two victories had been awarded to the aces of my flight, but in their pilot files there are no claims or victories filled in... the progression for the H/A is scripted?

Thanks again!

Nice of you to say so Tolkemec, thanks.

I'll get another career going eventually, it's just that I'm running out of space on my PC at the moment and have to think about upgrading so that I can do things like increasing the regional activity, the GFX settings and using all the mods that I customarily play with while not recording. This all has to be at a reasonable frame rate that can be uploaded/streamed to meet some modicum of quality control. I'm also easily distracted so things get put on the back burner but you never know your luck, I'm training a pilot to go into the SE5 and, if things go well performance wise, I'll probably livestream his brief existence for your viewing pleasure but I really need to run a few practise and testing operations in a similar environment before I commit to another series as I don't like being taken by surprise by performance issues cropping up halfway through a career and potentially cutting it short.

Yes, despite my lackadaisical approach to my content creation I do have a basic standard for content like WoFF that I care about more than other stuff I upload just for laughs because I know how limited WoFF related content is on YouTube and that many people make purchasing decisions based on what they see so I like to show the game at it's best. I don;t want to upload me making a balls up of something and having this give people the impression that it's the game's fault.

Wind effects can be hard to ascertain from the first person perspective but if you crank up the wind and press "F3" while flying cross wind you'll probably see your plane flying sort of sideways as the wind pushes if off course, the mod certainly does work and there is also turbulence included but It might be the case that the plane you are flying isn't rigged for that mod yet or that you have just had some very pleasant weather. I'm pretty sure most of the Nieuports are rigged for the weather mod so you should be set flying for 3rd Esc but, once again, you'd have to ask JJJ (The mod author who posts here) about that for more information. I only know enough to follow his instructions on operating the mod, I don't know enough to explain how it works. I can say that the wind/turbulence is more noticeable in less powerful aircraft and it is stronger some days than it is on others. In some aircraft like the Fokker E types or the Morane Parasol you really have to fight with to get through the patrol when the weather is bad and flying home in a headwind or through severe turbulence while damaged with your controls all sluggish (and not very adequate in their undamaged state) can cause a lot of tension!

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4408262 - 03/01/18 11:09 AM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Welcome new meat to WWI grinder, guys wink .
Also, I've seen you change manually the wind in ME, does it make any difference? I don't feel there is any wind effect at all..

Yes, it makes the difference. Hit "Z" key when in flight to open an info window and note speed values (airspeed vs. GS-groundspeed), then fly upwind, downwind and compare results. You will clearly see the groundspeed decreases by amount of wind speed value if flying aginst wind and viceversa.
Also, I hope I am not betraying any secret, the wind gustings and turbulence is strongest at three types of weather only: Heavy, Variable and Precipitation. For other weather types (Good, Light, Medium) this effect is not so evident. You can set (decrease) the level of turbulence and gustings to your taste with WOFF UE_Multimod.

#4408287 - 03/01/18 02:58 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: JJJ65]  
Tolkemec Offline
Tolkemec  Offline

@Ace_Pilto thanks for your answer. I'll be watching your channel for updates!

@Polovski Thanks for the info. I'll RTFM smile

@JJJ65 Thanks! Is the 1.7 version the last one?

#4408289 - 03/01/18 03:22 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
You are welcome, Tolkemec. Yes, 1.7 is the latest.

#4408307 - 03/01/18 05:07 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Tolkemec]  
hoongadoonga Offline
hoongadoonga  Offline

I saw afterwards that two victories had been awarded to the aces of my flight, but in their pilot files there are no claims or victories filled in... the progression for the H/A is scripted?

The historical aces will remain in the game until the date that they actually died, regardless of what happens during your flights. The number of victories shown for them in the duty room is also based on actual historical counts, not what happens during gameplay.

I prefer it this way but many people think that it's bad for immersion to kill a HA today and then see him again on tomorrow's mission. By using JJJ65's outstanding Mission Editor you can change this (for enemy HAs) so they'll stay dead for the remainder of your current pilot's career if desired.

Last edited by hoongadoonga; 03/01/18 08:01 PM.
#4408433 - 03/02/18 11:02 AM Re: New to WOFF [Re: hoongadoonga]  
Tolkemec Offline
Tolkemec  Offline

@hoongadoonga: thanks. I saw an option in the workshop to limit the H/A to top aces. I found kind of immersion breaker to always fly with H/A (in Esc. 3; 4 out of 9 were H/A). So now only Guynemer remains in my flight, and the replacements have already arrived.

#4408514 - 03/02/18 04:22 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
Bunny287 Offline
Bunny287  Offline

Hey all just wanted to say hello and let ya know this game continues to be more and more amazing! Just got my 13th confirmed kill in latest career with 56 squadron but sadly Albert Ball has just fallen. Which led me to finally look to get a good book about Ball. Does anyone have a good one to recommend ?

Thanks as always!

Bunny

#4408517 - 03/02/18 04:42 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

This is a very good book (but not excellent), possibly the latest published about him.

Albert Ball VC: The Fighter Pilot Hero of the World War I

Amazon Link

It´s really easy to read and has lots of info and photographs , even if some people might have wanted a more vivid, detailed account of his victories. He was a lone wolf mostly, and detailed logs of his battles are scarce so it has been hard to obtain detailed descriptions of his achievements.

Last edited by ArisFuser; 03/02/18 04:43 PM.
#4408519 - 03/02/18 04:50 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
There are two; the late Chaz Bowyer's Albert Ball VC, and the more recent Albert Ball VC by Colin Pengelly. I haven't read the latter, but it looks well done. The Chaz' is a classic.
Cheers,
shredward

We will remember them.
#4408546 - 03/02/18 05:54 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
Bunny287 Offline
Bunny287  Offline

Thanks gents !

#4408711 - 03/03/18 04:06 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
Bunny287 Offline
Bunny287  Offline

Greetings Gents,

So I’m starting to check out the glorious mods page and had a question regarding the effects mods. Do you recommend the first one called “new effects mod” looks like it could be a major upgrade with damage modeling and terrain? Just wanted to check with you guys before downloading . Thanks!

Bunny

#4408712 - 03/03/18 04:08 PM Re: New to WOFF [Re: Bunny287]  
Bunny287 Offline
Bunny287  Offline

Oh and also any mods regarding this effects section that you feel are a must have and why? Example what exactly is the pilot viewpoint mod? Thanks!

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM