Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4406896 - 02/23/18 10:24 AM OT: Computer trouble...  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Was in the middle of playing and my computer just shut off. Never done that before.
Attempt to turn it back on and it tries for a few seconds, then “restarts”, tried again 2 or 3 more short times and shuts off.
Waited a couple moments tried again and it tried to boot up a bit longer (believe I should have seen something on my monitor but nothing) then shut down and tried again for a couple of short seconds then stopped. Keeps doing that now.

Graphics card? Has my GTX 970 packed it in after 3 years?

#4406898 - 02/23/18 10:42 AM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
kksnowbear Online content
kksnowbear  Online Content

Hi Duke, I don't recall what your hardware involves...but if you suspect the GPU and your motherboard is so-equipped, you could try using on-board/CPU-integrated graphics as a test. Look at the I/O plate area where all your USB ports etc are on motherboard. Do you see anything that looks like a VGA, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort connector? If you can tell me the model of your motherboard, I can check on what it has on it.

Did you by chance try completely unplugging it from the wall for a minute or so? Long shot but easy and won't hurt or cost anything.

May come to having to open up the case, and possibly removing/replacing some things...how comfortable are you with that?

#4406899 - 02/23/18 10:50 AM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  

Oh, and just as entertaining blather while you ponder the rest of that stuff...the on/off cycles you describe can be (not definite, just possible) the motherboard has decided your CPU settings are wrong (as in setting an overclock too high). Most BIOS these days have a feature that will try to return the BIOS to default settings if you get too crazy with the overclock settings. They do this to avoid forcing the BIOS settings to be reset (which can be a pain), or the machine being permanently inoperative (which sometimes happened back in the days before they had this feature).

Note that I have sometimes seen this failure even when the machine was not overclocked...long story, but if the BIOS tries to boot and can't finish, it can wind up 'assuming' an attempt to overclock has failed. I learned that one way to duplicate this failure is by killing power mid-boot. This might mean something's going on with your power supply ('cutting out' in the middle of booting, as the various components are initializing and load picks up).

Is there an overclock on your machine? Just some stuff to consider.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 02/23/18 10:56 AM.
#4406900 - 02/23/18 10:55 AM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Yes I am an “expert” hardware swapper having installed all component types, even MB’s, at one time or another. Once told which component to use of course - this forum (and PR) have got me going several times.
I’ll take a peek in the back once the sun rises.
I suspect vid card because on another system years ago I think I had the exact same issue (start for several seconds then stops) and IIRC it was the video card.

Push comes to shove I still have my older one (a 750Ti as I always save working parts) and I’ll put that in.
Thanks for your ideas and I will try them.

EDIT: No nothing fancy on my machine. It’s was the best money could buy (4 years ago IIRC) and I have added the GTX 970 and a upgraded PSU but that’s about it. Nothing overclocked or changed except double-damned W10. Has been working great (except W10 quirks) and I have changed nothing.

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 02/23/18 10:59 AM.
#4406901 - 02/23/18 11:02 AM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  

Ah well if you have an 'known good' video card to try that's a big help. TBH, I wouldn't necessarily think video card, but I've been wrong plenty...that's why having parts to swap is a big advantage. lol I'm not that smart, I just have a ton of parts biggrin biggrin biggrin

I asked about going inside the machine because sometimes it helps to remove/"re-seat" the video card, memory modules, power supply connectors, etc. Heat/time/vibration and minor variations in hardware (connectors, pins...) can cause problems with intermittent contacts sometimes.

#4406902 - 02/23/18 11:05 AM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Good thought. I will give all that a shot before parts swapping.
Just priced new vid cards...yikes...but we’ll save that for later. Don’t want to jinx myself in case a “reseat miracle” works!

#4406903 - 02/23/18 11:14 AM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  

If you're OK going inside the machine/reseating parts, another thing to do is try each memory module, one at a time - if you have more than one. Machines almost universally nowadays can run with only one module, and this can help isolate it if one of your modules has gone bad.

#4406904 - 02/23/18 11:21 AM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  

BTW, I've seen other circumstances like this where people have suggested going to a store that sells computer parts, and buying a part just to swap (like a power supply, for example, if you suspected that).

Very bad advice, IMHO - please don't do this. For one, it's dishonest. It's taking unintended advantage of a reseller's return policies. It increases prices for everyone, and lessens a reseller's inventory where someone might actually need/want that part. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

If you feel you must buy a part just for testing, then be decent enough to just keep the part. Or find a friend who has parts and will help by loaning.

#4406907 - 02/23/18 11:36 AM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Wish I was that “clever” but I am not

#4406911 - 02/23/18 11:57 AM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  

Good on ya then smile I don't think it's about not being so clever. Just really about being basically honest, such that it just wouldn't really occur to do that.

What gets me is, if the people who recommend doing that actually depended on the business for their own livelihood/that of their family, they'd probably consider it stealing.

Anyway, I hope you can get your situation resolved soon. Keep us posted smile

#4406918 - 02/23/18 12:41 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Sun is “up” (cloudy and heavy drizzle though) and the initial wave of morning chores are done.
Getting ready to “go in” and I should know pretty quick.

#4406927 - 02/23/18 01:17 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
Good luck Duke!

#4406929 - 02/23/18 01:18 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  

The plot thickens... popcorn Good luck, we're all counting on ya.

#4406932 - 02/23/18 01:31 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Thank you gentlemen!
Reseating didn’t work and it took about 4 minutes to swap the card - forgot what a brick the 970 is compared to the dainty 750. 970 barely fits in my tower.

Nothing to report though! Have spent the last 45 minutes trying to find the stupid cable adapter from the “old” vid card and my newish monitor. It’s around (and more then one IIRC) but where did I put it? That special place in your house where you put stuff so it’s never lost and you can always find it!! wink

#4406940 - 02/23/18 01:57 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  

Some other things to consider (just throwing stuff out at this point):

- Make sure you check/reseat both motherboard power cables (one 24-pin "main" power and one 4 or 8 pin "CPU" power)

- There will be a battery somewhere on the board, looks like the size/shape of a quarter (in fact, they're called "coin" type batteries). This being bad, though its fairly rare, can cause what you're describing (though not very likely to just shut down the machine, IMHO). Anyway, doesn't hurt to check if you are comfortable doing so - be aware that it 'holds' memory for your system configuration, time/date etc so removing it can cause these things to be erased (as well as other configuration settings, which might in turn cause the symptoms you see). If you're not sure how to put the settings back, maybe best to not fiddle with this. Believe it or not, I've actually "resurrected" one or two by removing the battery to force the CMOS to clear - you just have to be prepared to deal with having cleared the config settings if you do this. And, if you 're not familiar, that can be a challenge. I often take pictures of the BIOS settings screens and/or use the "Profile Save" feature on newer machines to save CMOS settings, against the advent of a battery failure or other CMOS corruption.

TBH I'm not highly confident about any of this, just stuff to try that's free and not too difficult. I find myself wondering if you don't have a bad power supply or motherboard, or a bad connection between them. Maybe bad CPU (but this is really awfully rare).

#4406947 - 02/23/18 02:15 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well, to avoid the swear censor, darn it. And right at the start of the weekend of course.
Not the video card apparently and the PSU is less then 6 months old.
Maybe my previous issue, similar to this, is why I changed the MB in my old machine.
Gonna send you a PM kksnowbear.

#4406952 - 02/23/18 02:31 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Are you able to start/open BIOS and edit settings?
Also, try to remove BIOS battery cell, count to 10 seconds and put it back (computer must be OFF, of course).

Last edited by JJJ65; 02/23/18 02:32 PM.
#4406953 - 02/23/18 02:41 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
No I can’t get to anything.
Computer tries to boot for about 2 seconds then shuts off. Tries (on its own) to start a couple more times but the same thing. I’ll try the battery idea. Thanks. Got nothing to lose at this point and diagnoses is tough with nothing.

#4406954 - 02/23/18 02:45 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Lausbub78 Offline
Lausbub78  Offline

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand
Well, to avoid the swear censor, darn it. And right at the start of the weekend of course.
Not the video card apparently and the PSU is less then 6 months old.
Maybe my previous issue, similar to this, is why I changed the MB in my old machine.
Gonna send you a PM kksnowbear.

I had a PSU fail after barely 6 month too some time back. It was a Corsair,not a cheap one either. The symptoms where similar to yours, I went trough the whole process you are going through right now,until I found out it was the PSU.

#4406955 - 02/23/18 02:47 PM Re: OT: Computer trouble... [Re: DukeIronHand]  

Battery/removal is mentioned a few posts above. If you take it out, and have a meter, be a good idea to test it. Should read 3.0v + but be sure to read when removed, not installed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM