Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4406743 - 02/22/18 03:34 PM Krull  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Does anyone remember this campy sci-fi/fantasy movie from 1983? I never saw it in the theater but I caught it later on cable sometime during 1984.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085811/?ref_=nv_sr_1

What struck me most about the movie when I first watched it is how the acting and dialogue was so campy but the production values and the fictional world the story took place in were very creative and memorable.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4406745 - 02/22/18 03:46 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Yep, I remember it. Lysette Anthony...mmmmmm....

But yeah, not great writing, but lots of money spent on it. That was when anything with effects got made after Star Wars made a mint.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4406746 - 02/22/18 03:49 PM Re: Krull [Re: Arthonon]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Arthonon
Yep, I remember it. Lysette Anthony...mmmmmm....

But yeah, not great writing, but lots of money spent on it. That was when anything with effects got made after Star Wars made a mint.

She was only 19 when the movie was shot. She was indeed gorgeous.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4406751 - 02/22/18 04:03 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Very cool flick, it was huge in the day. The video game was too IIRC. I think it came after Conan the Barbarian and tried to combine it with Star Wars. They ride horses, use bladed weapons...but there are also laser rifles and something like the Force. LOL
How about Dragonslayer, remember that? Major production and well received. Probably the best dragon in a movie and no cgi.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4406756 - 02/22/18 04:17 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I also remember Dragonslayer, and liked it, but I got the impression it wasn't a big hit. And the dragon was very well done. I think it was the first time ILM used "go-motion," where they had posts connected that would move the limbs of the dragon slightly when the film was exposed, giving it a little motion blur and removing the stop-motion jerky, robotic look.

Ken Cartwright

#4406763 - 02/22/18 04:33 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Maybe if there was a MST3K version I might watch it.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4406773 - 02/22/18 05:26 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
A bit of trivia: I think Krull was the first movie, and one of the few times, people actually rode Clydesdales - they are mostly team horses for pulling wagons, etc, and not normally ridden.

Ken Cartwright

#4406779 - 02/22/18 05:43 PM Re: Krull [Re: Arthonon]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
A bit of trivia: I think Krull was the first movie, and one of the few times, people actually rode Clydesdales - they are mostly team horses for pulling wagons, etc, and not normally ridden.

Very cool. I also noticed that two of the actors in "Krull" were also in "Dune" just one year later.

#4406799 - 02/22/18 06:47 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Lady Jessica...oh yeah.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4406828 - 02/22/18 09:37 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Little bit of cool info on Drangonslayer..Loved that movie..
http://www.tomspinadesigns.com/rest...yer-vermithrax-head-restoration-display/

#4407383 - 02/25/18 06:14 PM Re: Krull [Re: Arthonon]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...

Clydesdales are ridden a lot, they have a very smooth gait, I have ridden them a few times. For a draft horse they are quite lightly built and have a nice free movement, they will tackle jumps too, they are used when the "larger gentleman" requires a mount as they are up to carrying a respectable weight smile

it was good to see them getting ridden in Krull, it was the highlight of the film for me.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4407715 - 02/27/18 01:52 AM Re: Krull [Re: Alicatt]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Alicatt

Clydesdales are ridden a lot, they have a very smooth gait, I have ridden them a few times. For a draft horse they are quite lightly built and have a nice free movement, they will tackle jumps too, they are used when the "larger gentleman" requires a mount as they are up to carrying a respectable weight smile

it was good to see them getting ridden in Krull, it was the highlight of the film for me.

Lol, unfortunately I fit that remark these days. Haven't ridden a horse because of my size for years.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4407778 - 02/27/18 02:26 PM Re: Krull [Re: Alicatt]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California

Interesting, thanks! I recall seeing a "making of" segment somewhere where they made a big deal out of riding them, and the trivia section on IMDB says they had to train the horses for months.

Something else I just found out is that Ken Marshall, the lead actor, also played the character Eddington on DS9. He looked so different I never would have guessed it was the same guy.

Krull:
[Linked Image]

Eddington:
[Linked Image]

Ken Cartwright

#4407786 - 02/27/18 02:46 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I wouldn’t have made that association either.

#4407789 - 02/27/18 02:53 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I wonder if anyone ever bought that giant "Chinese star" prop at an auction? biggrin

#4407884 - 02/27/18 09:30 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point

#4407959 - 02/28/18 04:50 AM Re: Krull [Re: Arthonon]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California

Interesting, thanks! I recall seeing a "making of" segment somewhere where they made a big deal out of riding them, and the trivia section on IMDB says they had to train the horses for months.

OK, just to convince myself I wasn't crazy, I looked into the info I had seen about the Clydesdales, and I found it. The documentary may not be accurate, but at least I know I wasn't making it up smile

https://youtu.be/_MXYNyv6oeE?t=920

Ken Cartwright

#4408032 - 02/28/18 04:01 PM Re: Krull [Re: Arthonon]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

OK, just to convince myself I wasn't crazy, I looked into the info I had seen about the Clydesdales, and I found it. The documentary may not be accurate, but at least I know I wasn't making it up smile

https://youtu.be/_MXYNyv6oeE?t=920

Oh I don't doubt that it could take months to train the horses for their roles in the film, it takes time to train a horse to be ridden properly without having to do "tricks" for the film and be safe for the actors to handle.
I'll have a look at the documentary tonight, I think I may have seen it already when the film first came out.

There is even a facebook group dedicated to Clydesdale riding https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=The%20Great%20Scottish%20Clydesdale

Here is a thread on Horse and Hound with someone asking about riding them smile
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?688810-Clydesdales-as-riding-horses

And there are quite a few stables around the UK that offer Clydesdales under saddle for people to hire for trekking etc.

[Linked Image]

Clan Cameron
#4408074 - 02/28/18 05:39 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Well just watched that section of the documentary lol
Originally Posted by Tom Bosley
Clydesdales are the largest horse in the world
The current world's largest horse is a Flemish Brabant at a little over 20hh

Clydesdales grow to around 17hh, Shires can grow a bit taller generally. The Clydesdale is a relatively young breed only coming into being in the early to middle 1800s so Robbie Coltrane's comment about them not being ridden for 500 years is a load of horse pucky biggrin

One thing I did not know was that the Budweiser Horses are Clydesdales, I had always thought that they were Shires, another day and something new learned biggrin

My fathers car repair garage used to be a stables that held Clydesdales, they pulled the milk floats around the Alexandria area about 20 miles north of Glasgow, I can remember the stalls and the blacksmiths forge that used to be in there, the first time I rode on a Clydesdale I was about 6 years old and it was a plough horse working at a farm we stayed at, a friend had a 16.3hh Clydesdale that he rode out on from the local equestrian college, she was almost as broad as she was tall - the horse I mean wink

Clan Cameron
#4408103 - 02/28/18 06:37 PM Re: Krull [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Yeah, I wasn't trying to prove that people didn't ride them, only that I didn't make it up, and that the "documentary" stated it smile

Ken Cartwright

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.