Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 551 of 608 1 2 549 550 551 552 553 607 608
#4405711 - 02/17/18 08:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

As expected, it is quite a bit colder and overcast today compared to yesterday. The temp at 1:40 PM is 46°F/ 8°C. The clouds seem so low they appear to be brushing the tallest tree tops.

I killed my cat this morning...... AGAIN.
Well, I did that in my mind, that is. Cats have nine lives, you know. There must have been something about being pounced upon at 5:30 AM and awakened from deep, REM sleep that started me thinking in that radical direction. Then, the fiendish thought really solidified in my sleepy mind when I came across what was once a full roll of toilet tissue meandering in serpentine curves out of the bathroom into my bedroom.

The sight of my cordless mouse hiding under my desk chair more or less cinched the deal that was forming rapidly in my mind. OK, after all, cats are supposed to chase mice and maybe she just mixed up her terminology in the dark. Did I mention I was sound asleep? Apparently, Zena ( I call her that when she has been naughty) needed me awake for some reason. I might add, a reason known only to her at that time.

How to get my revenge? A quick 365 degree twist of the head might work. We were on the second floor. There was the window with a screen easy to open. HMMMM. I had a new KA-Bar knife. It was razor sharp. But just as I was considering putting something poisonous in her food, that sneaky cat had to go and sidle up to me and begin rubbing against my leg singing a pleasant, purring tune. A quick glance at her food bowl told the story. It was empty.

That bowl had been almost full when I went to bed. Someone, and I'm pointing no finger of guilt at anyone. Someone apparently got very hungry during the wee hours and had polished off every morsel. At some point later just before dawn, Zena awoke feeling peckish. Finding her bowl empty, her next thought was of me and my apparent infinite supply of food. She knew she had trained me well, I would much rather get her food than sleep, she believed she knew that too.

The resourceful feline set about doing all she knew to do to get me awake. Once conscious, I could replenish the lost bowlful. All her attempts failed until, in desperation, she hopped up on the foot board of my bed and perched there watching and listening. I was clearly still asleep and not just faking it as she had caught me doing previously. There was only one sure fire method for waking me up and she knew from experience what that was. It was risky but so was going hungry as far as she was concerned.

Putting her weight on her hind legs then thrusting upwards, she had catapulted herself so that she landed precisely where she intended... in the center of my slowly rising and falling chest. Even in the dark, bouncing from there to the floor was easy for her. This meant that she was spared the very worst of waking me that way. The flailing arms, the coining of new and obscene cuss words along with the attendant splashes of spit and phlegm exploding from my gnashing lips.

From under my chair she had watched, with one paw on my mouse, as I tried to rise, got all tangled up in my bed linen spun around and fell on my face, half off and half on the bed. There were more nasty words, mercifully muffled by the sheet stuffed into my mouth. All went quiet. Zena was about to crawl from under the chair. She was worried I might have broken my neck. For that might seriously slow down the food replenishment process. My falling off the bed with further purple words of supreme agitation ended that worry and kept her where she was.

The naughty cat watched closely as I rose from my entanglement and headed for the bathroom. I can imagine her thinking I'd get the hint when I saw all the TP unrolled and eagerly rush to fill her bowl. When that didn't happen, she must have been surprised and disappointed. I was by then calling her name over and over. Something in my tone of voice must have indicated displeasure because she did not come running. Something in the way I stomped my feet might have indicated it was not safe to venture forth from her hiding place.

When I fell over the footstool she must have wondered why I had not cut on a light. I know I sure did. Peeping out from her hiding place, Zena saw me twisting an imaginary neck in my hands, then go over and finger my KA-Bar hanging in its sheath on my bed headboard. Cats can see in the dark if not pitch dark. She watched a fiendish look come to my face as I stood near the window. When the cat saw me walk over to her food bowl, she must have thought "Finally the idiot has figured it out!" But then she saw that fiendish look come into my eyes again as I rubbed my hands together in deep thought.

After I found my mouse under the table, I also discovered the cat. She ran and hid under the bed. I was cooling off by then and did not pursue her. She eventually came creeping out when I filled her bowl. That's when she rubbed against my leg purring. I put the food and her water in the bathroom. Then I, who was hard at work stifling a grin, while using my most deep and displeased voice, sent her to the bathroom. She understood and trotted in there (well, that was where sh knew her food was). I closed the bathroom and bedroom doors. After picking up the mouse and remaking the bed linen, I went back to bed and thought about it all until I fell asleep.

Q: What did the cat say when he lost his toys?
A: You got to be kitten me.

Q: Why did the cat put the letter "M" into the fridge?
A: Because it turns "ice" into "mice"! winkngrin

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4405717 - 02/17/18 09:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen,

My condolences to the citizens of Denmark, including our representative there, Mr. McGonigle on the loss of a member of the Royal Family.

Reports have just reached here of an earthquake in the 4.4 range that has been felt in Wales. -Apparently a rare activity.
Hope Old Dux and all his loved ones are in good form, and none-the-worse from what can be a very scary experience.

JRT: I hope you are OK, with not lasting damages (well, except to your pride) from your unusual acrobatics leaving that comfy bed.
I would not worry too much about any anguish Zena may have suffered when she saw you entangled in the sheets.

I can almost bet that her main concern -assuming your losing the Battle of the Sheets- was probably counting the meals she could get out of your inert body should you not be able to reach and replenish her normal food supply.
She is a cat, you know. winkngrin

I remember seeing, or thinking about making a box with a simple latch in which one could hide or store the bathroom paper. Haven't done woodwork in ages.

#4405739 - 02/18/18 01:10 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

My brilliant idea was to take the paper roll off the dispenser. A place where the cat would usually only unroll just part of it. Then I put it where she could pretty much get all of it. I dunno why, just to help out the next time she wanted to celebrate some feline holly day or special event I guess.

Oh, brother, that brainstorm worked so very well did it not? I would try your box idea but using a steel strong box and the addition of a hefty padlock, heavy links of chain and a master combination dial. I say I 'would' do that, and I would, if I thought I could stand the humiliation when the cat opened the thing and got away with the roll anyway. winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4405921 - 02/18/18 05:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

This is a real Sun Day worth its name. We have clear skies and a bright sun beaming down and warming us. The temp is 54° F./ 12° C. at 11:50 AM. Highs will be in the low 60's today. It'll c;loud up tonight and there may be sprinkles tomorrow. Temps are predicted to be back up in the mid 70's mid week. Spring is on its way here too MG.

Zena the Russian Blue cat is on my list again. I type her name that way when she is not on her best behavior. At other times when she is on good behavior, it is spelled Zeena. Today, she sure ain't on her best behavior. When I stagger out of bed each morning, the cat always follows me to the bathroom where she takes her supervisory place in the left hand sink. No LeRoy it is not a sink for washing only the left hand. When you face the mirror it is one of two sinks, the one on your left side. Good grief man.

I usually have picked up a cat treat along way to the throne room so I give that to her then just before washing up and proceeding with my normal morning ablutions. All goes well provided my supervisor is satisfied I have washed behind my ears and spent long enough brushing my teeth.

This morning, things went somewhere alright.... but not well. I am still not certain what happened. I put her treat on the clean, dark blue counter near the porcelain sink right under her nose where she could scarcely fail to see and get it. That was the last thing I did before Zena went absolutely crackers, yelled something sounding like bloody, murder , scrambled to gain a good footing and disappeared into the darkened hallway.

It was then that the small drinking glass shattered explosively in the sink, two wooden handled brushes sailed right past my nose along with the plastic container they had been placed upright in. Two or three OTC medicine containers rolled off the counter and hit the tiled floor with a bang, bang, bang.

I know instinctively what soiled my undies but have absolutely no idea what frightened that crazy cat. Maybe she unexpectedly saw her reflection in either the big or the small mirror? Perhaps she thought she was being attacked by another kitty? Considering what she must have been put through before she was rescued, it might be almost anything that frightened her.

My blood pressure is finally less that the PSI of the Hindenburg now. Still I have no other possible explanation than the mirror at this time. Zena seems embarrassed and repentant about it all and just isn't talking. Now she won't even go near the bathroom. Where can I send her to now when she is in heat and loudly singing opera?

Q: What do a spinster, desperate for a husband and a soprano, desperate for opera roles, have in common?
A: The amount of time they spend on their knees. winkngrin

#4406139 - 02/19/18 04:56 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Wet, cloudy and messy rules the day here today. The sun hasn't shown his face since yesterday. All that warming must have tired him out and he is sleeping in today. It was warm here yesterday but not so warm as it apparently was in Florida. There, they had record highs especially in the Tampa area. Frankly, I like the gray and cool better than I do the blistering hot and the energy draining humidity. Our present temp is 44°F./ 7°C at 11:42 AM under overcast skies.

The Russian Blue cat I usually call Zeena behaved herself last night. So far, she has today. I am happy to report there is nothing to report regarding her today.

In more breathtaking news, I have several compasses. I heard that disrespectful yawn LeRoy. A good compass is worth having. That way I always know where to go without someone telling me...where to go. If I had a "bug out" bag I would have at least one compass in that. I may have one of those bags soon. And I may even bug out if Zeena starts singing opera at night again.

Two compasses are on my phone. Only one auto corrects for true North. So, I was wondering what the declination was for my area yesterday. For the woefully orienteering unenlightened among you welcome lurkers, that is the difference between magnetic and true north for a given geographical area. There are charts available online and from other sources. Often the corrected info appears on the newest topographical and aerial maps. Declination tends to change every year, you see. I think ours changes about 2° W. yearly.

Pilots Fittop and OG would know of such things as declination and reciprocals, magnetic and true. Moral compasses don't need such things fortunately. However such things are something you should take into account when you actually travel any reasonably long distance taking bearings by compass. Otherwise, the error will mount up over time and you might end up searching desperately for your passport at the Canadian border. Instead of settling down in that quaint hostel in the beautiful Great Smokey Mountains you were told about by the ranger when the bear ate your tent. The cheap place of refuge that was only 10 miles away from the last place you spotted your wife.

Since my son is a land surveyor in charge of several crews of land surveyors, I had every logical reason to suppose he would know a great deal about such woods craft navigating minutia. I called him. He hadn't set up a total station himself in ages, he said. He left for a bit then returned to the phone. He thinks the declination is currently 9° 36' W ± 21' for my location. That, he thought, changes 2° W. yearly. He cautioned me not to use that dubious info to walk several hundred miles in any direction but straight up until he got back to me. He needn't worry; I won't.

Surveyor joke:
No surveyor needed. If you really want to know where your property line is, ask your neighbor. winkngrin

#4406390 - 02/20/18 06:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The clouds were way down among the hubcaps here when I rose this foggy morning. The dense fog has now risen and so the clouds are once more up there where I usually expect to find them. The present temp is a toasty 66°F. /19° F. . The highs this week are predicted to be in the low to mid 70's F. and the lows in the low 60's F. In recent years, when the low temps climb to and remain above the 60's F. it means hotter summer weather is here or on its way. Right now, our sky is partly sunny and that, IMHO, is better than partly cloudy. wink

I received my new 10 x 50 binoculars from Amazon yesterday. They are fine indeed and designed to accommodate those of us who wear glasses. There are more powerful glasses of course , some 15x or 20x or more magnification that are really designed for star gazing. These are big and heavy and require a tripod. My dad used to have a fine pair of Zeiss binoculars that I coveted but never got. We were once riding on the Chesapeake Bay ferry and just out of sight of land. I took those glasses and found I could practically count the bricks on one building. I didn't spend much time counting as I recall. I was a randy 18 year old and there were bathing beauties on the beach.

Maybe they were the genuine Admiral Doenitz Brand Uboot Fernglas with Kriegsmarine markings and adjustable, genuine plastic carrying strap, and multi-coated Zeiss lenses, I've often suggested Dux has in his collection? Whatever they were, they were powerful. I've seen no better. His boat was berthed beside a German vessel one day and he was invited aboard for a drink by the German captain. Somehow there occurred a kind of friendly game of chance during which old daddy acquired a German Luger and those fine binoculars.

I never saw the pistol in his possession. He kept those big German glasses in a beautiful brown, leather case in the boot of his car. I would have loved having those. !0 x 50 is about the limit AFAIAC for hand held glasses. Higher magnification than 10 x and I find it hard to find and hold anything without a steadying tripod. They are too heavy to hold for any length of time as well.

A Case Of a Pot Calling the Kettle Black:
Shame on her. I think my neighbor is stalking me. She's been Googling my name on her computer. I saw her doing that through my binoculars last night. winkngrin

#4406505 - 02/21/18 09:48 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

Email passing through our 'Polar Vortex' right now on its frigid though fast journey to your tropically warmed mailbox. Should have fished the harbour this morning but got the tide times wrong. Try again tomorrow about 8:30. Fair number of families around this week despite the cold. They seem determined to treat their kids to a half-term break whatever the weather. The first sand castles have already appeared along the beach.

Coinkidinky....I borrowed a book from the library this week: Birding in Pembrokeshire. Maybe I can rejuvenate the hobby after a few years of lapse. I still have my German Optolyth 10x50 bins and same brand 88mm 'scope.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4406509 - 02/21/18 11:49 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Although a whiff of spring was reported last I posted, the met office will have none of it and insists that temps are very soon going to be dipping towards below freezing during the daytime, and 14 to -4 (Brrrrrr) during night time.

Still, we have got to see some blue skies these last few frigid days.

Another coinkidinky; I recently read a book about a wartime pilot. I've had it in my collection for some time but just recently got round to it. As I finished the book and looked up the author on the internetttywebyythingie, I learned that the author had passed away just the same week!

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4406595 - 02/21/18 06:21 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Our warm weather continues as expected but with overcast skies prevailing. I had the window open all night and was still uncomfortably warm until just before dawn. The clouds kept the heat of the day from radiating out into space I guess.

One of our native North Carolina boys who made quite an international name for himself, the Rev, Billy Graham, "pastor to presidents", just passed away at the age of 99. He was evangelist to the world, friends with and adviser to many presidents and to British and European royalty alike.

Dux,

Message and pix received in perfect condition and removed without damage from my overheated, tropical vine choked mailbox. A completely unsuitable reply is waiting for you in your own ocean brine encrusted mail receptacle. The one with the starfish clinging to the door and the lobster motif painted on the side. wink

Careful, you don't have a Mrs. Bale to advise you of the tide conditions every hour, on the hour as Lionel did in "As Time Goes By". A miscalculation might make you wish you had inflated those genuine rubber, twin valve, Ester Williams brand water wings. Drinking too much seawater could be hazardous to your health.

I wondered why you never mentioned train counting or birding since the big move to the wilds of Wales. Those glasses must be good ones. Perhaps yours are even better than the Admiral Doenitz brand? Those were probably best suited for viewing under water anyway.... wink

MG:

Who knows? Maybe the fellow was just waiting for you to read his book? At least he died happy if that was the case. smile

It is more than a whiff hereabouts. The sun just came out and I can feel his brilliant rays warming this room already. I may turn on the A/C this afternoon or maybe tonight to aid in sleep.

I saw a cartoon recently.

Two well plucked turkeys are at the beach lying on their backs on a beach towel. They are just baking in the hot sun.

They each have one of those little pop up buttons inserted in their navels. One bird's button has already popped out. The bird on the left, whose button has not popped yet, leans over to the bird on the right, whose button has popped, and says: "You'd better get out of the sun, Ralph... It looks like you're done." winkngrin

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 02/21/18 06:28 PM. Reason: Not enough punctuation, too many "A"s, "N"s and "D"s

#4406766 - 02/22/18 04:46 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The sky is partly sunny here this morning. A cool breeze is ruffling the curtain as I type. The Russian Blue cat I cohabit with has, this morning, become fascinated with the moving curtain. She cannot seem to figure out how or why the fabric is moving.

More than once, she has seemed to be trying to sneak up and catch whatever it is causing the oscillations. Other times the silly girl just sits and watches for a bit and then pounces on nothing and falls, completely surprised, on the floor. At the moment she is hanging from the swaying curtain by her savage claws and looking very pleased with herself. That's a no, no Zeena get off now! She looked at me as if to say, "You big kill joy." Then she gave me another dirty look and let go.

Sorry, Booked Up

Two alley cats are standing in front of a wooden fence. The tabby on the left is listening to the solid gray cat on the right. The gray cat is reading a list from a small notepad. "NAP,NAP,NAP,NAP,NAP,NAP, Hmmmm.,NAP, NAP,NAP,NAP,NAP,NAP,NAP.....

"Sorry pal, it looks like I'm booked solid! How about tomorrow?"

#4406807 - 02/22/18 07:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Another pic on the way to you Rog. I don't know who the third glass was for. Hopefully, for their sake, it was for the person who picked up the tab. :yep

It will get progressively colder here as the week rolls on. By gad! It's cold enough today as it is.

I have yet to see a single instalment of Peaky Blinders but apparently Cillian Murphy the lead actor is being touted on the shortlist for a new James Bond.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4406848 - 02/22/18 10:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Pix received. Glam is a word insufficient for describing it. The model, the newlywed and a third party assumed but not seen. Not only a pix glamorous but mysterious as well.

Well done you. My response, though there was time spent upon it, will hardly be called glam. The only mysterious part would be why I included a lousy pix of me. There are several pix, two of the grand kids. One of the cat. One of my son T's current girlfriend etc.

If you get back into birding, perhaps you will take a few new snaps of the countryside? Caution! The national emblem of the Welsh is a blood, red dragon. There could be some around. I'd keep my eyes open in those Welsh forests lest a crimson beastie sneaks up on you and toasts your nickers before you know it is coming. winkngrin

#4406984 - 02/23/18 04:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Another overcast day today however almost overnight I see we have spring-like blooms on the Bradford Pears and yellow Forsythias. It seems the yellow variety always blooms before the white. In the past the only blooms I noticed in February were the buttercups. They were the first signs of spring I looked for poking their yellow heads through the pine straw. Even with snow on the ground this can be seen.

I am attaching a photo taken this morning from my upstairs window. I abjectly apologize for the very poor quality of the phone photo. It was taken with some magnification through a glass windowpane with an overcast sky muting the colors. Otherwise, conditions were absolutely perfect. winkngrin

Attached Files Spring B Sprung_2018.JPG

#4407056 - 02/23/18 10:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen,

See that "The Beast", a batch of very cold weather, is expected in Europe. Hope you guys stay warm and cozy.
Getting a look at an enlargement of JRT's picture does make it look like an impressionist painting with a soft brush used on the buds.

BTW, caught the first episode of "Altered Carbon" and found it pretty intriguing. Thanks for the tip.

The rain is abating here with slightly longer periods rain less. We have gone from an over-five-inch deficit to a slight surplus with some flooding expected in some areas since the ground is saturated. All in about five days.
By tomorrow afternoon we might be able to see some sunshine with a bit more rain expected by the middle of next week.
Have a good weekend, ya'll.

#4407075 - 02/24/18 01:04 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

I hope you do see the sunshine reflected in your shoeshine tomorrow. Hmmm. Most young folks don't seem to have shoes they must shine. I have just one pair of wingtips left myself. Everything else is casual, mostly different color Reeboks.

I remember my first pair of tennis shoes (trainers, Dux). My feet felt light and liberated when I tossed aside those heavy leather school shoes and slipped my tootsies into those light as air canvass and rubber PF Flyers. Like a young Mercury, I ran around the neighborhood non stop feeling barefooted yet without the pain of sharp rocks or the heat of asphalt and concrete.

I admit that was a very poor photo. The photographer who took that should be struck off the roll of the local Squint and Shoot chapter of The Nearsighted Photographers Club. I'll drop that request in the suggestion box at the very next meeting. You must agree, that it took nerve to post that travesty. You can at least make out the grass, sky and buds. We have some tender young green and droopy branches on the weeping willows too. If we don't have another frost things will really green up now.

I thought "Altered Carbon" reminded me a bit of "Blade Runner". I've finished each episode now. I liked it. There are lots of plot twists and turns with a surprise ending. No spoiler here, worry not. I'm re-watching the "Sopranos" on Amazon Prime of late. I'm into season 3 of six. I am soon to start on episodes of the last 3 Dr. Whos. I still believe Tom Baker was the best Dr. of them all. That is totally subjective of course.

#4407096 - 02/24/18 05:48 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen,

I can't remember the last time I spit-shined a pair of shoes. But I do still have a couple of good pairs of shoes.
One that I bought in Spain, beautiful leather that make you feel like dancing, and a pair of loafers.

Also remember the first pair of grown-up white sneakers, and the high-topped black basketball shoes that I thought would let me play better.
They didn't.
Sometime before that there were the kid white tennies of course. They were needed at the pebbley beach and hopefully kept your toes safe from the octopuses that also frequented the beach. They did not protect me from the bigger kid that liked to step on top of my toe.

The photo was great. I really liked the effect, it made for an unusual shot.
Take a look at how the eye is first drawn to the white center that are the mailboxes, but the main actors are really the two trees that balance it against the shades of dark green in the background.
It's a wintry scene with the promise of Spring. Wish I had painted it. That's what I'd call it, "A Promise of Spring."

#4407117 - 02/24/18 11:27 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

JRT,

Thanks for those latest pics of the 'usual suspects' who are growing fast! I have sent them off to M via Facebook messenger as reque...er...demanded and no doubt she will be wanting one of those frame knitting thingies without much delay.

J says please suggest to Ty that he keeps practising his sardonic, lopsided smile. She reckons that it's a real ladykiller...as he will find out as he gets older...unless he has found out already. cool

Manfred von Richtofen

#4407192 - 02/24/18 06:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Partly sunny, 70°F. / 21°C. at 12:20 PM. An 8-11 MPH wind blows from the SW. The expected high is 77°F.

Fittop: smile

Thank you for that. Have you lost yer mind my friend? That is probably the worst photo I have taken in my life and I have taken my share of stinkers. To be honest, and do not ever tell him, (whisper) I suspect he has been posting only his best. (regular voice) I have never seen a poorly composed or less than technically perfectly photographed photo by Dux.

Everyone takes a poor photo now and then...everybody. Of course, it depends on how one defines "poor". A pro told me once that is why you take so many photos and always at least a few "safeties". It is better today now that we can see our photos still in the camera. I know a bit about composition due to my 20 seconds of art instruction in school... (I apologize to my frustrated teachers) maybe that was a bit longer? Composition cannot make up for a poorly shot pix. The main problem and why my photo reminds you of a bad Renoir or Monet copy by a blind monkey is because it is digitally not optically enlarged in the phone camera.

A new DSLR camera is becoming more and more a likely purchase in the near future. I love photography. Of course, the poor photographer that I am, it is likely the only apparent difference that camera would make is that I would no longer have the equipment to blame for my mistakes.

Dux:

Send L&M my best, or, better still, send someone else's best which must surely be better than mine. It is difficult enough to get T to stand still long enough for a photo, let alone get him to smile at the same time. That was about as close as it gets these days. His sister could perhaps follow in your K's footsteps and become a model. She is the most natural and instinctive poser I have seen for her age. She is a joy to photograph.

Her brother is the new owner of a "Classical" guitar. So now he has two instruments he cannot play. wink

Actually, he is coming along very well. He plays in church. He has learned tableture and can reasonably manage to get through "Dueling Banjos" without a single clinker. He enjoys practicing, therefore, soon I predict he will be giving his dad a run for his money. Of course his dad shuns an acoustic guitar. He has always favored Fender and Gibson electric Guitars.

I recently read Gibson, that iconic producer of fine guitars, is facing bankruptcy after 116 years. A shame in my opinion. T shuns electrics and dreams of a Martin guitar one day occupying a place of honor in his bedroom as is the case of his older half brother. A boy who hardly plays anything but football and the radio in his truck. winkngrin

#4407368 - 02/25/18 05:27 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We've had lots of sun early this Sunday with strong, gusty winds. Clouds are moving in from the West ahead of a cold front that will bring the chance of rain with a bit of thunder this afternoon and evening.

MG:

I have not yet seen the new "Blade Runner" movie. Perhaps you have? I recall that you and I once had an interesting discussion of the first "Blade Runner" film. Primarily, that about Roy's poignant speech as he dies. "Time to die." "Tears In Rain".

That was, as you know, the final monologue of the Replicant Roy Batty at the end of the dark, futuristic sci-fi movie. It is much quoted and has been described as "perhaps the most moving death soliloquy in cinematic history". The final form of the speech was actually improvised by Rutger Hauer, the actor who delivers it. I did not know that until recently.

Perhaps everyone who comes face to face with their own mortality has a moment of deep reflection like Roy? Perhaps it is the very foundation autobiography is built upon.

Any one wishing tickets for the annual HWH "Spring Into Summer" Marathon Dance, River Bank, Blind Pogo Stick Races, and everyone's favorite, the Merry Go Round Mud Slinging Duel, should contact nurse Summer Rayne. She's over at the new Bedgood Nursing Home and All Night, Coin Operated,Hair & Toenail Trimming Facility. Use the following e-mail address, anytime before Monday week. sumrayne@bedgoodnurses.com. Fortunately, LeRoy reminded me you need the password to gain access and leave your message. He posted it below.

Summer Rayne's password:
" *********** " without quotes.

Hmmm. LeRoy remains blissfully unaware of the workings of computers. He seems to have grasped this password business at the wrong end of the stick. LEEEEEEE ROOOOOYYYY!!! Call Summer Rayne this minute and get the correct password. Then kindly post it exactly as given to you on the HWH bulletin board.

There's a good chap. winkngrin

#4407542 - 02/26/18 02:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

While it is noticeable that the days are getting longer and we have fair weather where I am located, we're in the deep freeze with day and night temperatures not reaching higher than a few degrees below 0 Centigrade. Why not all countries in the world have adopted the Centigrades defies my understanding; At the temperature of 0 degrees C or lower, water freezes solid, To my mind that is an easy and intuitive way to relate to temperatures. Fahrenheit users might possibly think that the F's are perfectly understandable because at 451 F, apparently paper burns.

Which rather nicely brings me to the topic of Sci-Fi.

Readers, please put on your fire-proof suits because in the tradition of Tony Clifton, Mr. Grumpy McGrumpy insists on making an appearance now.

Roger, I must admit I have difficulty remembering what I wrote about Bladerunner. Can't have been overly enthusiastic though, cannai? I think my problem is that I am not a big fan of the dystopia sub-genre, I usually prefer my Sci-Fi to be visionary and provide me with the hope of a better future. Both Bladerunners are dark tales of dystopian society, one towards which we might very well be heading unless some visionary and uplifting Sci-Fi presents us with a better and brighter vision for our future. Furthermore, a satisfying Sci-Fi story for me must involve space travel, or existence on other worlds, human and/or alien, and as we know the Bladrunner movies center on Earth and on people/replicants. To make matters worse, I don't think I'm a fan of Phillip K. Dick, or at least films and movies based off his work. To me they seem very ..... ordinary. re. the Amazon mini-series "PKD's Electric Dreams". It might have been exciting in the sixties.

I did catch the latest Bladerunner and like the original, none of them are topping my personal list. The new iteration I found unsatisfying, unmemorable. I suppose one could argue that whereas the first ends with the demise of Rutger Roy Boy "Jesus" Hauer and a sort of crucifixion, the sequel does indicate a slight improvement in the replicant condition, although It is hard for me to remember what the latest ´runner was about. Fans of the franchise won't understand that I could be anything else than gushing.

Last edited by McGonigle; 02/26/18 02:53 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Page 551 of 608 1 2 549 550 551 552 553 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.