Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4405765 - 02/18/18 05:39 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

I typically chime in on threads like this because I run WOFF UE on an older sysytem..

OS Win XP 32bit..Intel core 2 duo..CPU E8400..2.7GB RAM..GTX 660Ti

and it has always run perfectly with most settings at high.

So Redjagd, I would jump in and go campaigning cheers

#4405773 - 02/18/18 06:59 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Wow, I never expected it to run on Win XP!
Do you use DX9 shaders?

You have an odd combo of such old OS and CPU and relatively powerful GPU. Though in my case it is i7 860 from 2009 + GTX 970 which is also a slight mismatch, but I run Win10 on it.

Although 64-bit Windows is mentioned in requirements, the game itself is 32-bit and will run on 32-bit systems. The reason for this "requirement" is that 64-bit OS still can provide more memory to 32-bit applications.
Most of the time while I was developing DX9 shaders for WOFF UE I had GTX285 with 1GB. It is a powerful GPU, but quite old. So I was always looking closely at GPU memory usage and generally 1 Gb should be ok.

While nothing is final yet, I want to warn that WOTR versions of my shaders will NOT work on XP.

#4405774 - 02/18/18 07:14 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: AnKor]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted by AnKor

While nothing is final yet, I want to warn that WOTR versions of my shaders will NOT work on XP.

Thanks, but as being published earlier, do not forget to implementate this in the new Woff-BE or as an download on Sandbaggers site.

#4405780 - 02/18/18 07:38 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Of course. I'm sure there will be official version for WOFF UE.
However my shaders are always "independent" in a sense that you can use them with anything that runs on cfs3 engine, be it stock CFS3, its addons or OFF Phase3. Maybe with some missing features, but they work.

#4405788 - 02/18/18 09:45 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Good to know, lets hope, while forcing to an much higher DirectX maybe even DX12, you can also get the VR to work, so we would get the Woff VR :-) version.
DirectX 10 can be forced on Windows XP btw.

great to read the progres.

#4405791 - 02/18/18 09:53 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
VR!
Sounds like a pipe dream but I would buy one in a hot second if WOFF supported it.
Can you imagine how awesome that would be? I’d have to build a urinal in my CP room.

#4405792 - 02/18/18 09:58 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: cptroyce]  
Redjagd Offline
Redjagd  Offline

Hello ... seriously? Well i run CFS3 with Ankors shaders - Hi Ankor ! - and in fact it runs smoothly. My OS is W7 as i discard W 10 upgrade fearing compatibility problems with my older games.

My system specs:

3 GB DDR2 memory set

Core 2 duo 3.0 ghz

Nvidea GT 710 Geforce ( don´t laugh )

Mobo FSB frequency 1066 mhz

Cheers!

#4405793 - 02/18/18 09:58 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: cptroyce]  
Redjagd Offline
Redjagd  Offline

Originally Posted by cptroyce
I typically chime in on threads like this because I run WOFF UE on an older sysytem..

Hello ... seriously? Well i run CFS3 with Ankors shaders - Hi Ankor ! - and in fact it runs smoothly. My OS is W7 as i discarded W 10 upgrade fearing compatibility problems with my older games.

My system specs:

3 GB DDR2 memory set

Core 2 duo 3.0 ghz

Nvidea GT 710 Geforce ( don´t laugh )

Mobo FSB frequency 1066 mhz

Cheers!

Last edited by Redjagd; 02/18/18 10:08 AM.
#4405795 - 02/18/18 10:05 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
W7?
You said in your OP that you ran a “32 bit” OS?

#4405796 - 02/18/18 10:10 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Redjagd Offline
Redjagd  Offline

That´s it ...Windows 7 Home premium 32 bits!

#4405797 - 02/18/18 10:18 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Huh. Remember the first version was 32 bit but I thought it went to 64 bit after the initial release.
Well, that’s why I am not a computer tech. In any case good luck and have fun.

#4405801 - 02/18/18 11:17 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: DukeIronHand]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand
Huh. Remember the first version was 32 bit but I thought it went to 64 bit after the initial release.
Well, that’s why I am not a computer tech. In any case good luck and have fun.

Originally Posted by AnKor
Although 64-bit Windows is mentioned in requirements, the game itself is 32-bit and will run on 32-bit systems. The reason for this "requirement" is that 64-bit OS still can provide more memory to 32-bit applications.

lol Don't worry Duke, it can be a bit overwhelming smile Yup, Windows 7 (and for that matter, all the way back to XP, and all the way forward to Windows 10) can be installed as a 32- or 64-bit OS. I myself have used more than 4G RAM for some time now, and in fact originally changed to Windows 7 for that very reason (XP64 was kinda...iffy, and we'll just leave it there lol).

Personally, I'm not surprised to hear WOFF UE will run on a 32-bit machine, though I hadn't actually tried it first hand. I do feel the "requirement" is a bit misleading and could backfire, though (EDIT: *IF* that's the real reason...I admittedly do not know). While I get the general idea, requiring a 64-bit OS absolutely does not mean that everyone who runs WOFF UE on a 64-bit platform will actually have more memory. In fact, even Windows 10 x64 only requires 2G. So, albeit seemingly unlikely, it is entirely possible for someone to have a 64-bit OS and actually have less memory than someone with a 32-bit OS.

So, requiring a 64-bit platform to ensure more memory on the target machine(s) is a bit like raising gas prices to ensure people have more money confused

Probably would make more sense to just require a specific amount of memory (and thereby, if necessary, a 64-bit OS).

But, hey, what do I know? biggrin biggrin biggrin

Last edited by kksnowbear; 02/18/18 12:02 PM.
#4405803 - 02/18/18 11:27 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
If reading at the official web site, I think OBD did not have any 32bit OS to test WoFF UE, so they where not sure on that.
But glad it is all solved WoFF UE can run on a 32bit OS and even on XP.

#4405804 - 02/18/18 11:40 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: cptroyce]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by cptroyce

Something very interesting about all this, to me, is how there are folks running this game on very conservative platforms like this and the OPs (and others, I am sure)...yet if we were to ask around, I think there are many like the good DukeIronHand who would swear there's no way a conservative system like these would work. And they're generally basing that perspective on what is commonly discussed around here, as well as the published 'system requirements', and so on...They're not crazy or wrong, because they've been given plenty of reasons to form their opinion.

And, I'll tell you what, I've given this a lot of thought over the years since I first got involved with OFF (the first one, that is; the free one). What I've concluded is that there is...there must be...a certain subjective factor to a lot of this. As I said earlier, what "runs perfectly with most settings st high" for one guy might seem completely unacceptable to another.

You also have to consider that (and we hear this all the time) no two PCs are the same - even though the hardware could be identical, that doesn't mean the two machines will run the same. A lot of how Windows PCs "run" is a matter of how/what is actually installed/running on the machine (whether the user knows it/put it there, or not).

Finally, I'm absolutely convinced that the nature of the CFS3 "engine" is such that it's performance can vary significantly on different platforms, even where there's just not that much difference in hardware specifications. I think the software just has performance issues (for lack of a better term), and it's been touched upon more than once by some fairly prominent figures around here.

And now, for my final trick *lol* I'm going to close the loop by saying that the line between the foregoing three factors (system condition, subjective observation, and software performance) gets awfully blurry around here sometimes. And I think I'll leave it. Right. There. smile

But, as I said above, what do I know? biggrin biggrin biggrin

Last edited by kksnowbear; 02/18/18 11:44 AM.
#4405813 - 02/18/18 11:57 AM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
The “subjective” factor is certainly the gorilla in the room - or is it the cockpit here?
I run WOFF with my GTX 970 settings at maximum and, generally speaking, WOFF Terrain, Scenery, etc at default or one notch higher - depending on time of career and location at 1980x1080 on my 27” monitor. Looks great but...

I am already nosing about for a new computer this year because if I can’t run WOFF at maximum all around, regardless of the year or location of the campaign I feel like, in my OCD’ism, I am missing something or not getting the best out of WOFF. Guess that is the “subjective” part to me - what performance and graphics are acceptable to you?

Without making (another!) WoT WOFF did run for me on 32 bit XP but I do not remember if I had any kind of issues (performance or odd crashes) as I quickly got a new computer with W7 that I have since, grudgingly, “upgraded” to W10. YMMV.

#4405817 - 02/18/18 12:19 PM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
I’m running now an i7-7700k GTX1080 and 16GB DDR4, while my old i5-2500k OC to 4,8Ghz HD7970 maxOC and 8Gb DDR3 Ram did do the same job at the same load and FPS. I still suspect the old XP 32bit OS on a old system like an i7-920/HD5870 and 4gb ram, can handle the ancient game engine from Woff nicely.
Think for vintage game engines, new is not always better.

Last edited by dutch; 02/18/18 12:20 PM.
#4405819 - 02/18/18 12:26 PM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Duke, yup, that's precisely the sort of thing I'm referring to (the 'subjective' factor). I actually realized this quite some time ago...perhaps even before this forum came about (as in before the move from 'the other site').

Another sub-part to the subjective factor is the general concept that people who have spent a lot of money on the latest and greatest hardware...well, let's just say there's a reason the term "bragging rights" exists. The old "I can run (insert favorite game title here) at 500 FPS with settings on Ultra, on my Intel Thunderdrone i12-9000 and Nvidia GTX1395 32G DDR9"...

(which, by the way, is not at all in any way limited to this forum or this sim, to be sure)

*sigh* So, after someone's clearly wrapped up a few thousand bucks on all that bravado...that monument to tech-tosterone...how likely do you think it is that they're going to admit their system doesn't necessarily run all that much better than the guy using an i5 and a GTX570 he picked up used for $500???

I've probably said too much already *lol*...but you can bet it's also a factor.

#4405820 - 02/18/18 12:28 PM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: dutch]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by dutch
I’m running now an i7-7700k GTX1080 and 16GB DDR4, while my old i5-2500k OC to 4,8Ghz HD7970 maxOC and 8Gb DDR3 Ram did do the same job at the same load and FPS. I still suspect the old XP 32bit OS on a old system like an i7-920/HD5870 and 4gb ram, can handle the ancient game engine from Woff nicely.
Think for vintage game engines, new is not always better.

Thank you, thank you thank you...

You actually posted this even as I was typing my post which is below yours...but you couldn't have made my point better if I'd paid you to.

(and no, in case anyone's wondering, I didn't pay him biggrin biggrin biggrin )

#4405821 - 02/18/18 12:30 PM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: Redjagd]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Interesting.
It would figure that the old game engine would ultimately be a limiting factor in that no matter how big and powerful your CP is as it can only be pushed so far.
Still, I thought I had a pretty good system, yet some folks are running at higher graphics levels then me so I would guess I have not yet hit the ceiling hardware-wise. Maybe? Probably? Or is it my OS or something else in my system.
Who knows? Still having a blast though.

EDIT: “Tech-tosterone!” Hehe. Nice. Gonna steal that one from you

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 02/18/18 12:45 PM.
#4405827 - 02/18/18 12:52 PM Re: WOFF system requirements [Re: DukeIronHand]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

It would figure that the old game engine would ultimately be a limiting factor in that no matter how big and powerful your CP is as it can only be pushed so far.

Yes, it would figure...wouldn't it? And, as I said, that's been alluded to any number of times around here, a few recently, and by some fairly prominent, knowledgeable folks.

Still I thought I had a pretty good system yet some folks are running at higher graphics levels then me so I would guess I have not hit the ceiling hardware-wise yet.

I think a good part of this is subjective as well. For example, they might have their settings higher, but might tolerate lesser performance than you might. That's just an example, mind you, but it should illustrate the 'subjective' concept. If you look at what Dutch is saying - and I am quite sure there are others (myself being among them), he doesn't necessarily find much improvement even across 2-3 generations of hardware.

And, by the way? As far as 'hitting the ceiling' goes? lol Just about time you drop a wad of your hard-earned hay, you can bet Nvidia will be releasing the next latest and greatest biggrin Mind you, you should do what makes you happy - not saying otherwise, of course - just that I don't think this game(or any other TBH) will ever be perfect, no matter what you throw at it or how much it costs.

If you have a 970, I can tell you that you *do* have a pretty good system, for certain. Is it top-o-the-line? Of course not, you knew that already. Were there issues with 3G vs 4G in the 970s? Yup, far as I can tell, and it's all over the Internet. (But I'll gladly make you an offer on that card, if you get a new one). Will buying a 1080 mean WOFF UE runs without issue? Nope...count on it. And count on this: At some point, you'll find yourself wondering how much a GTX1180 will improve (insert favorite sim title). Or a 1280...or...? biggrin

(And that's not to say it isn't a great sim, before anyone gets all whacked outta shape here.)

EDIT: “Tech-tosterone!” Hehe. Nice. Gonna steal that one from you

Nuh-uhh, no ya don't. It's copyrighted biggrin

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again