Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4405559 - 02/17/18 12:27 AM F-16 Aggressor revisit on Modern System and FIX  
Nazreen Offline
Nazreen  Offline

Malaysia
Hello everyone!

I've been trying to revisit this sim on my vista machine long ago,but I never get the chance to enjoy it like I used to before,I just can't stand the graphics corruption existed in Direct3D renderer since nvidia 2xx.xx driver back in 2007,now in 2018 running im Win7 x64bit I finally can run it almost..flawlessy..Fly the sim with DDRAW Software is doable,but its very slow 15-20FPS atmost on newer machine.If u r on older nvidia or amd gpu or with pre-2007 driver running XP SP2,or intel intergrated gpu,you may not have graphical issue
There are 3 problems you might encounter with the sim

1.GRAPHICAL CORRUPTION
2.NO SOUND AND JOYSTICK DETECTED BY SIM
3.MULTIPLAYER
---(MP allows 4 players COOP mission play,as well as 8 players TD/D matches)

[Linked Image]
This is what the texture corruption I'm talking about,white triangles everywhere,black cloud textures..beautiful isn't? yet so annoying...This is not the sim render problem,but it is more a driver problem

I've been searching for hours how to fix,there is no website no forum no fix no nothing until I found out about dgVoodoo 2,I decided to play with it..well...IT WORKS! Turns out dgVoodoo 2 wraps dx5-dx7 and run the sim in dx11 mode flawlessly,afaik,the sim suppose to utilise dx6 but now running in dx11 with dgVoodoo 2,here is my setting, don't touch or force a resolution option,it will corrupt sim menu,as menu always run at 640x480,3d render will run at whatever setting you choose,can be set to run @ 1920x1080 via sim pcsetup graphic menu
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
no more corruption..Im happy I can finally enjoy f-16 flying again,thx to dgVoodoo 2 creator with his amazing tool!!

GRAPHICAL CORRUPTION SOLVED

This sim is old,a 1999 sim,and as expected,without running compat mode of XP2/XP3 and earlier, the sound effects will not work,your joystick unusable. But running the sim with compat mode will breaks dgVoodoo 2 dx11 renderer,and the sim will forever stuck at loading screen,no loading bar show up,forces you to kill sim process via task manager. This is due to dgVoodoo 2 library,i guess it's ddraw.dll are not suppose to runs on compat mode,it was made to run on current environment.
The fix is very easy..remember the ACT toolkit? we've been using it in troubleshooting a lot of sims here like Longbow 2 fix,and now we need to the same thing but with fewer option.After few experiments,I found out,only 2 fixes needed to be apply.

[Linked Image]
I will upload sdb if anyone need it,but the fix is very easy to do with ACT,all you need to do is install Microsoft ACT v5.6,create new fix pointing to your f-16.exe,don't check anything on 1st page,go to next page and just tick and apply "EmulateJoystick" and "HardwareAudioMixer" ONLY,save the database and install database fix. Sound works,and joystick is usable.Take not you can't map buttons or configure joystick inside sim,there is no option to do that in sim,sim always use standard joystick or gamepad detected in windows game controller settings,there is no documentation provided but the sim use only the basics

X-axis=Aileron
Y-axis=Elevator
Z-axis=Rudder
Z rotation=Throttle
Button 1= gun trigger
Button 2= weapon trigger
Button 3=chaff
Button 4=flares

You can always map other joystick buttons to keyboard key instead with vjoy/ppjoy if you want.

NO SOUND AND JOYSTICK DETECTED BY SIM SOLVED

I always wanted to fly LAN session again,but until I get my backup up PC up and running,I can't do anything on this,I've tried hosting thru TCP/IP but no success, CTD entering lobby,returns with BEX error,I tried using IPX via IPX wrapper,it seems working no CTD at lobby,manage to choose side,I can't test any further,session only starts when there is 2 player or more entering lobby.Start button greyed out until 1 more player join.

MULTIPLAYER NEED MORE DISSECTING WORK!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4405630 - 02/17/18 01:37 PM Re: F-16 Aggressor revisit on Modern System and FIX [Re: Nazreen]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Cool to see there's someone that like the game. I really enjoyed it back in the day, and the fact you encountered other kind of aircraft apart from the MiGs was a nice addition.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4410470 - 03/14/18 05:27 AM Re: F-16 Aggressor revisit on Modern System and FIX [Re: Nazreen]  
Turbo Offline
Turbo  Offline

Thanks for this! I really like this one a lot... it was one of my favorite games back then.

Celebrating 35+ years in the field of avionics....my how time flies!
#4485227 - 08/06/19 12:46 AM Re: F-16 Aggressor revisit on Modern System and FIX [Re: Nazreen]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
sorry i am trying this on windows 10 and unfortunately when i add in dgvoodoo }( i presume i put the 3 dll file from the MS folder into the game folder also ) - the game wont launch instead it claims that direct 6.0 is needed to run the game - however i cant install directx 6.0 so far as i understand on windows 10

can you help me with this at all?

UPDATE - actually it is all working now, i have no idea why, but if i start the game from the shortcut in the start menu then everything works and using the ACT has got sound going good too!

Last edited by Agathosdaimon; 08/06/19 08:01 AM.
#4601601 - 06/13/22 11:02 AM Re: F-16 Aggressor revisit on Modern System and FIX [Re: Turbo]  
bb11 Offline
bb11  Offline

For anyone who is trying to run this in Win 10 I have managed to do this successfully using latest Win 10 with DG Voodoo 2 but not using Act at all. Everything is running ok for the last 3 days including Joystick and sound.
Many thanks to Nazreen and the others for pointing the way.

#4636440 - 10/01/23 05:19 PM Re: F-16 Aggressor revisit on Modern System and FIX [Re: Nazreen]  
Kindred Offline
Kindred  Offline

UK
Has anyone managed to get the CD music working? I'm using Daemon Tools and have mounted the image and the game recognizes the CD and runs fine with dgVodoo 2, but there is no in-game music. I have set the SCSI drive as the lowest letter which works for other older games like Rollcage, Motorhead, Dark Colony, etc, but no luck so far with F-16 Aggressor.

Last edited by Kindred; 10/01/23 05:21 PM.

kindred

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.