Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4404861 - 02/13/18 04:20 AM Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available?  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
Every once in a while something will catch my eye on Steam but once I see the massive list of DLC for it, I pretty much blow it off. Latest example? Total War-Warhammer. on sale for 20 bucks but 70+ dollars worth of DLC available. I know if i wait 6 months or a year I'll get the "gold" version with all of the DLC on sale for 15 dollars... it's not like there's a shortage of entertainment software out there.

Even a game that I absolutely love like Galactic Civilizations 3 has a bunch of DLC for it- haven't bought any of it - just playing the base game

Anyone else of the same mindset?

I'm pretty sure the last DLC I paid any money for was Arma3 something or other...maybe Apex?

Robots are stealing my luggage.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4404872 - 02/13/18 07:57 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
I tend to avoid games with massive amounts of DLC, which these days is everything EA. I want my DLC to be something that is clearly optional, and fits the mold of the old-style 'expansion pack'.
Alternatively, I'll wait until some sort of 'game of the year' edition comes out with the DLC.

#4404873 - 02/13/18 08:06 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
DLCs are less of an issue to me than loot boxes or pay to win schemes as observable in World of Tanks these days. Of course, it always pays off to study carefully what you'll get for your money, so an inflationary number of DLCs is more likely to make me give up analyzing the title, and therefore to not buy it in the first place. And yes, I tend to wait for "gold" versions, although these are becoming less prominent with Steam. From a publisher's point of view, retail sales are a (potentially big) flash in the pan, Steam offers a fat tail (extended sales periods with slower price decay, a trend with which I'm absolutely okay). Well, Steam also largely eliminated the second hand market for PC games, something that I see more critical. But apparently not enough people seem to care about that.

#4404874 - 02/13/18 08:06 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Being a fan of paradox games i can't escape dlc. But i always buy them during sales, at least 50% off.

#4404875 - 02/13/18 08:38 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
I avoid any of those like the plague.
The only exception I can think of was Rise of Flight, i happily purchased most of the DLCs, even the useless ones .

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4404887 - 02/13/18 11:07 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
Best answer I can give you is, it depends. I have a few that I own all the DLC for (AC and Fallout 4) and a few that I own a little or none. If it's "mandatory" DLC, then I avoid it like the plague.

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#4404902 - 02/13/18 11:51 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm the same as Dave. It depends.

If it's a game that I absolutely love then I will usually buy all the DLC when available or I'll just buy the "season pass" from the beginning. If it's a game that I played once and thought it was just "ok" then I won't bother with the DLC.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4404921 - 02/13/18 01:54 PM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
To me it comes down value added.
For example, I have bought all 3 of the Rainbow Six Seige Season Passes. I think they add a lot to the game, although this last one may be questionable.
Now for Ghost Recon Wildlands, I didn't give it a second thought as that DLC looked like a turd and went 180* away from what the original game was.

My preference is not to have the Microtransactions or crap like that, but that is the new model.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4404923 - 02/13/18 02:01 PM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Bill_Grant]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
but that is the new model.

Yup. The game development/publishing business has changed in that it's no longer enough to just release a game and then rely on the one-time revenue they get from the purchase price of each copy. Games now have to generate a constant revenue stream.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/13/18 02:02 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4404930 - 02/13/18 02:56 PM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I agree with PM..Games with numjerous DLC's are just cash cows ..Although I did go that route for Matrix games Panzer Corps and order Of battle Pacific and Civ VI

Russ
Semper Fi
#4404947 - 02/13/18 04:37 PM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Most dlc these days is related to MP so it doesn't apply to me. Season passes, loot boxes etc are annoyances but usually don't matter.
If it's SP dlc I pick it up when on sale to breathe new life into the game.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4404950 - 02/13/18 05:00 PM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
Depends on the game, when I am buying, and type of DLC.

For a game like Dark Souls 3, I wanted to play it when it came out, was a fan of the series, and so I bought the season pass and wasn't disappointed. The DLC were great expansions to the base game.

For games like Rise of Flight or Hearts of Iron, I would never normally buy a lot of their DLC if it is cosmetic or "plaything" in nature, but I bought all regardless during massive Steam sales. I think I got just about everything both had to offer for an extremely low price. I don't remember what I paid but recall it being extremely low for the amount of content.

Under normal circumstances (i.e. not part of discounted bundle offer) I would never buy cosmetic DLC and definitely never anything loot box related. But most of those games with the latter are ones I don't play anyways.

#4404955 - 02/13/18 05:08 PM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: rwatson]  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
Originally Posted by rwatson
I agree with PM..Games with numjerous DLC's are just cash cows ..Although I did go that route for Matrix games Panzer Corps and order Of battle Pacific and Civ VI

I would argue that Panzer Corps and OOB were DLC done right. Particularly OOB were the base game is now free. In both cases, if you enjoyed the base, the DLC were practically whole games in themselves--especially PC's DLC. Plus they were all gameplay related--no giving unfair advantages to multiplayer, no silly reskins.

#4405008 - 02/13/18 09:44 PM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Exorcet Offline
Exorcet  Offline

In my opinion DLC isn't an issue. If a game costs more than $60 or so dollars, the developer should get more than that for selling the game. Creating more content for the game is absolutely fine. The problem that I have is when you don't actually get anything for your money, or when features are ruined in order to make you pay more. Random prizes, taking what could have a been a pack of items that would make sense as a $5 add on and selling them individually for $2-3, etc.

I absolutely refuse to spend money on terrible low value pricing schemes. Sadly I seem to be in the minority and I doubt my refusal to spend does much. But I won't stop.

#4405020 - 02/13/18 11:16 PM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I am so happy I don't have a clue what a loot box is.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4405024 - 02/13/18 11:26 PM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Put me into the "I don't mind paying more as long as its fair value" camp.

Games cost the same to buy as they did decades ago and yet most of them are vastly more expensive to develop, something has to give.

#4405044 - 02/14/18 01:01 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
I refuse to spend money on loot boxes and pretty much haven't played a game with a loot box other than a few f2p games that I play whenever I'm standing around after "hurry up and wait".

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4405046 - 02/14/18 01:38 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Put me into the "I don't mind paying more as long as its fair value" camp.

Games cost the same to buy as they did decades ago and yet most of them are vastly more expensive to develop, something has to give.

Yes but they also sell vastly more copies and since a lot of it is digital there isnt any overhead so overall game companies make more money today than they did years ago.

#4405052 - 02/14/18 02:00 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Master]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Master
Yes but they also sell vastly more copies and since a lot of it is digital there isnt any overhead so overall game companies make more money today than they did years ago.

Not sure if that's enough to offset the huge amount of resources now required to develop and market a major title.

According to my video game developer relative, who's worked with nearly all the major gaming companies, today's big games require huge teams and a lot more time to produce than they once did, to the point where the pool of talent becomes a limiting factor.

There's only so many people with a really effective skillset and hiring and retaining them long enough to complete a title is a big issue.

#4405068 - 02/14/18 04:41 AM Re: Do you avoid buying games with lots of DLC available? [Re: Clydewinder]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Normally it would be a turn off for me, however, I mainly just play Rocksmith2014 with my Fender Stratocaster HSS now and look forward to DLC every Tuesday. New songs!

I have over 400 songs to play and have been buying DLC for a few years for it. smile

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.