Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 31 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 30 31
#4402301 - 01/28/18 10:47 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Flogger23m]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Flogger23m
Typically open beta comes right before release and is the final round of testing. It isn't exactly uncommon. It actually is quickly becoming standard procedure for AAA multiplayer games.

Why are we suddenly comparing ED with other dev studios and AAA ones at that? The fact that a procedure is common and that it is exercised by AAA studios does not mean that ED exercising the same procedure will generate the same results in the same timeframe.

I think I will wait until the "release" version is ready. I don't have much interest is playing around with more installs. I have the current "release" version and "Open Alpha". If I could update one of those I'd try it but it sounds like I need the open beta?

Well, if you follow the "logic" of some people on here, there won't be much difference between Open Beta and Release version biggrin

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4402312 - 01/28/18 11:50 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

There already isn't. People are joining the same server with OB and release causing minor discrepancies. Someone I play with hasn't updated their release in like 9 months. He just considered OB "the game" and has been playing that 100%.

#4402326 - 01/29/18 01:07 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by - Ice
Typically open beta comes right before release and is the final round of testing. It isn't exactly uncommon. It actually is quickly becoming standard procedure for AAA multiplayer games.

Why are we suddenly comparing ED with other dev studios and AAA ones at that?

Because the question/complaint I quoted is very commonplace. It certainly isn't my favorite trend either, but to take issue with a practice that is becoming almost standard industry wide is fairly superfluous. A big, free platform update? I'd almost expect an open beta before a release in 2018. That is just reality whether it is good or bad.

Well, if you follow the "logic" of some people on here, there won't be much difference between Open Beta and Release version biggrin

Well assuming ED did their job right the difference should be small. Open Betas are supposed to represent a fairly stable build of the game. The majority of the bugs should already have been ironed out, meaning the difference shouldn't be that large between the Open Beta and release.

#4402330 - 01/29/18 01:43 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Flogger23m]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Because the question/complaint I quoted is very commonplace.

Again, yes..... the question/complaint/solution is very commonplace. Still doesn't justify comparing ED with other dev studios especially AAA ones. Like I said before, just because other studios are doing this does not mean ED is excused for doing so and besides, ED practicing the same procedure as a AAA studio does not mean ED will get the same results under the same timeframe as AAA studios.

Well assuming ED did their job right the difference should be small.

Big assumption right there. The fact that we're getting an Open Beta now does not support that assumption. Please show me a AAA title or dev studio that promised a release date on [DATE] and when that happened, the customers got an Open Beta? Did we get an Open Beta on the release date of Assassin's Creed or Project Cars 2 or The Witcher 3?

Open Betas are supposed to represent a fairly stable build of the game. The majority of the bugs should already have been ironed out, meaning the difference shouldn't be that large between the Open Beta and release.

That remains to be seen smile

- Ice
#4402349 - 01/29/18 04:54 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Exorcet Offline
Exorcet  Offline

Originally Posted by Paradaz
Damson, If this platform is in constant development, then it can be nothing other than a 'beta' at every single stage and will never become a stable release

Not necessarily. It just means that getting the release version doesn't get you the final product. There can be a released 2.5, but it's probably going to be superseded by 2.6 at some point. If that's the case, then I don't see why release versions are special except perhaps in the case of significant bugginess as I mentioned. If the 2.5 OB is a stable piece of software though, then it's as good as a release version.

Lol!! So if something gets new features and fixes, then it's in perpetual beta, huh? So I guess Windows 10 was never "released" as we then had the Anniversary Update, Creators Update, and Fall Creators Update... all this time we were using Windows 10 Beta. Such wow! Many logic! Amazement!!

I guess it depends on your definition of beta, but the label isn't the point. It's about the software we get. If the OB is the same as the release version, minus having OB in the title, what's the difference? Especially if 2.5 will only ever be an intermediate state of DCS.

#4402351 - 01/29/18 05:35 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US

Again, yes..... the question/complaint/solution is very commonplace. Still doesn't justify comparing ED with other dev studios especially AAA ones. Like I said before, just because other studios are doing this does not mean ED is excused for doing so and besides...

Why not?

...ED practicing the same procedure as a AAA studio does not mean ED will get the same results under the same timeframe as AAA studios.

I'd imagine it will be similar to other independent games of similar scale, which typically ranges from months to years.

Big assumption right there. The fact that we're getting an Open Beta now does not support that assumption.

What is why I said should. wink

Please show me a AAA title or dev studio that promised a release date on [DATE] and when that happened, the customers got an Open Beta? Did we get an Open Beta on the release date of Assassin's Creed or Project Cars 2 or The Witcher 3?

I never made that argument.

One can only hope. biggrin

#4402363 - 01/29/18 09:19 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Flogger23m]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Exorcet
Not necessarily. It just means that getting the release version doesn't get you the final product. There can be a released 2.5, but it's probably going to be superseded by 2.6 at some point. If that's the case, then I don't see why release versions are special except perhaps in the case of significant bugginess as I mentioned. If the 2.5 OB is a stable piece of software though, then it's as good as a release version.

So why are we getting an Open Beta and not a Release version?

Originally Posted by Exorcet
I guess it depends on your definition of beta, but the label isn't the point. It's about the software we get. If the OB is the same as the release version, minus having OB in the title, what's the difference? Especially if 2.5 will only ever be an intermediate state of DCS.

The label **IS** the point. If you get a product full of bugs, "Oh, what do you expect? It's a Beta!" can be a perfectly valid excuse which they cannot utilize if the product is labelled Release wink Everyone here understands the difference between Beta and Release versions.... it's only you guys that is insisting on different definitions and even stating 2.5 will only ever be an intermediate state? **ALL** products that get developed or get post-release support are in an intermediate state, but none of them blur the lines of Beta and Release like you're insisting for DCS. Windows 10 was RELEASED although it's in an intermediate state, then Windows 10 Anniversarry Edition was RELEASED although it's in an intermediate state.... Elite Dangerous was released, then we got Horizons which was released, then we're getting [forgot the name] which is going to be released. We were **NOT** playing with Windows Beta all this time; we were **NOT** playing with Elite Dangerous Beta all this time. smile

Why not?

Aaaannnddd.... we're going 'round in circles now. Re-read the posts as to why not.

I'd imagine it will be similar to other independent games of similar scale, which typically ranges from months to years.

You can imagine all you want. smile

What is why I said should. wink

Why even make an assumption when we can already see that the assumption is already wrong. ED *should* do their job right and so the work between Open Beta and Release *should* be small.... but then why are we getting the Open Beta on the RELEASE date and not before? smile

I never made that argument.

That was just a follow up to my statement about Open Beta being released on the RELEASE date.... something no other dev group or studio does. Why should we then compare ED to other dev studios and AAA groups when ED clearly does things its own way and none of the other studios do this? Why should we accept ED's "commonplace" practice when it clearly results in a non-commonplace outcome (Open Beta on release date)?

One can only hope. biggrin

Well, I can see your level of confidence on ED seeing as you've not taken any of the wagers set earlier smile

- Ice
#4402444 - 01/29/18 06:52 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I think it's pretty clear that if we're discussing or arguing what the definition of EDs 'release version' is then everyone else is just as confused too.

So ED have pulled the wool over everyone's eyes and can happily release 2.5 in whatever state they want knowing they have a fall-back position of claiming the release build/release version is still unfinished and was never intended to be either, and their cycle of never finishing their content continues as normal.

Great.

What's the odds on the presence of some absolute howlers come the end of the month and whats the chances of a multitude of campaigns not being fully integrated/compatible? I guess we'll see the first indication in a couple of days.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4402482 - 01/29/18 09:38 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Two more sleeps

#4402485 - 01/29/18 10:06 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Two more weeks?

twoweeks

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4402489 - 01/29/18 10:08 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Damnit bisher, you've joined the dark side of unpaid betatesters offering gigabytes of space on your hard earned SSD too?
biggrin

#4402543 - 01/30/18 08:52 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Haukka81 Offline
Haukka81  Offline

Kemij�rvi,Finland
One more Night to go!

Im ready to 2.5 beta or not , finally terrain to use shark and Hueys , trees ahead biggrin

And if 2.5 is not bug fest too much i will buy least mirage maybe even hornet ( or may i say 30% of hornet :P

I5 8400 , 16gb , GTX 1070 oc , Win10 64bit . Virpil T-50 27" monitor with 2560x1440 rez ... DCS + Oculus CV1 + Samsung Odyssey . (odyssey is better for flight sims)
#4402549 - 01/30/18 11:48 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Haukka81]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by Haukka81
One more Night to go!

Im ready to 2.5 beta or not , finally terrain to use shark and Hueys , trees ahead biggrin

umm, there has always been terrain to use the shark and huey.....

#4402551 - 01/30/18 11:53 AM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

I'm pretty sure he references the increased details smile

But, this got me thinking - will 2.5 stop AI from shooting missiles (AT-3 Sagger for instance) right through 7 store buildings like they can today?
Or is it just eye-candy all the way?

#4402553 - 01/30/18 12:08 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: theOden]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Originally Posted by theOden

But, this got me thinking - will 2.5 stop AI from shooting missiles (AT-3 Sagger for instance) right through 7 store buildings like they can today?

That's what I read and makes us rotor heads spinning round on the floor wink

We will know tomorrow.

Last edited by KeyCat; 01/30/18 12:08 PM.

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4402555 - 01/30/18 12:11 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD

ah....to the naked eye, I made comment on what is the obvious.....put yourself in the backers\supporters or those who are directly or indirectly sponsored by ED\TFCs shoes who comment\reply on posts here at SimHQ that state the obvious (or do they)......I would have my name in the credits within the 'DCS World' would I not?

numerous posts that 'state the obvious' get responses such as mine by those who are directly or indirectly endorsed by ED....(this includes those who at some stage were 'moderators' over the fence and are no longer 'moderators' or 'testers' yet comment on what is perceived to be 'the obvious'

did I really seek clarification on what actually is the obvious? or was I just asking someone to point out the obvious........

#4402558 - 01/30/18 12:17 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: KeyCat]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by KeyCat

That's what I read and makes us rotor heads spinning round on the floor wink

We will know tomorrow.

perhaps KeyCat...or will it be an unmitigated disaster.....like Nevada, WW2 map and any other major update which no doubt will break the download and have Huckleberry Finn come up with the 'community' solution on utorrent outside of DCS\TFC that solves the download issue for the end user.

#4402572 - 01/30/18 02:07 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Someone jumped the gun a little smile

I popped on here a few minutes ago to see a thread announcing it was out so I dashed off to do the update only to find it's not and the thread had gone.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4402584 - 01/30/18 02:53 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: - Ice]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada
so once 2.5 is out, what,s the normal procedure?

should we uninstall 1.5.XXXX?

will it update from the current OB of 2.2.XXXX ?

or better to uninstall all and reinstall fresh?

XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Samsung 23'' 1920*1080
CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz Keyboard: Logitech G15
GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: G700s
PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saitek X55, TrackIr5
RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz
Case: Cooler Master 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
#4402585 - 01/30/18 02:54 PM Re: 2..5 Release Date ANNOUNCED!! [Re: Chucky]  
Grim_Death Offline
Old School
Grim_Death  Offline
Old School

Columbus GA
That was me. I was a little early. But many on Reddit are reporting they are downloading right now.

Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo
Page 6 of 31 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 30 31

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.