Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 546 of 608 1 2 544 545 546 547 548 607 608
#4399335 - 01/11/18 01:44 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

THEY DON'T BUILD PAPER AIRPLANES LIKE THEY USED TO

I just ran across an interesting YouTube video. It shows a scale Boeing Triple 7 scratch-built construction project created completely out of paper. Amazing work say I. Dux, take heed. He has easily surpassed my ability and is perhaps challenging even your own great skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c47kn_Y4y8A

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4399403 - 01/11/18 04:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We'll see the 60's again today with unsettled conditions threatening rain today and tomorrow. No snow or ice so far is predicted. That is coming far west and north of our state this week. We saw the low 70's yesterday. Just a week since we saw night time temps single digits. I've said before, the weather here is like a roller coaster ride. No ticket required to ride but you cannot get off anytime you want to.

I ordered that stainless steel electric kettle from Amazon yesterday and a couple of 13 oz. stainless steel insulated mugs to go with it. Next, I'll be ordering some quality tea and perhaps some good coffee. That is the problem with something like this. There are so many accouterments and incidentals attached to properly enjoying teas and coffees. Or so I'm told. I've always been a minimalist when it comes to such pleasures. No fancy stuff for moi. Then I had some coffee and tea over at a friend's home, and it was a revelation. I've been missing something my friends.

Only part of what I've been missing is the expense. Another part is convenience. When I need a cuppa I have to go downstairs where the coffee and tea is kept and I can get boiling water. Once the kettle gets here I can keep all that in small quantities up here as well and various soups and broths also.

I guess I'll eventually get a stainless steel defuser and order a bag of quality loose tea. Then I'll order a pound or two of coffee beans grown quite a ways south of Fittop and get a good Krupp burr grinder. Expensive stuff the lot. A single cup coffee maker would be nice if I could find a good one that didn't require me to use their coffee pods so I could get them locally and various ciders, chocolates and other varieties of single brew beverages. Consumer Reports recommends the Starbucks 600. Wait, I'm spending some respectable cash in my mind now. Oh, nuts, I may just pick up a big jar of instant Maxwell House and some Lipton tea bags next time I'm at the grocery store....

I occupy the second floor of our house along with the Russian Blue cat who allows me to call her either Zena, Zeena, or Xena. As Jens reminded us, the spelling used depends on how she is (mis) behaving at the time. Right now, Zeena is in the window searching for birds and sunshine. She has not found either.

Remember when you were learning another language in school and you actually got the pronunciation correct and your teacher was so startled she stopped talking and just looked at you for a long moment in disbelief? Maybe you don't, but I do. Me widdle brain wants to be busy. I am attempting to learn the cat language. To say it is a tongue quite familiar and yet it is also totally foreign to me is an understatement.

Zeena understands what I say far better than I understand her vocalizations and body language. I'm working on it. I'm a fair mimic. I try to figure out the meaning of a vocalization and then repeat it to her. Today, I must have gotten one repeat exactly right. Zeena heard me and instantly stopped what she was doing. She looked straight into my eyes. There was amazement in her lovely golden eyes. They got wider and she gave me that same astonished look my French teacher had given me in High School. I considered that a compliment then and I do so now. winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4399535 - 01/12/18 03:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen,

The paper airplane clip is amazing. That fellow does awesome work. I would doubt that a three-D printer would put him out of business since he has to design the parts.

Have only tried the single cup coffeemaker while staying with friends, although it was only on the last day of the stay that I learned it could have made stronger coffee. -I don't mess with others' settings.
Loved my old Krups since I love my cafe au lait, but ultimately I seem to return to the good old-fashioned stove-top .expresso maker. I'll confess to have to turn on a timer every time since burnt coffee does not appeal to me. Six minutes total time does it.
It's advertised in Amazon as a six-cupper, but that's using Italian expresso units, not six ounce cup units.
I drink it just strong enough to keep hair off my chest.

#4399546 - 01/12/18 03:56 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

That is an impressive paper aeroplane. The amount of detail is staggering. I can't begin to imagine the amount of patience and craftsmanship that must go into such a project.

It is good to know that Zeena aka Zeena aka xena and her alter egos is responding to your domestication Roger. I think you have made another breakthrough with her.

I read with interest the tales of installing and repairing Heat Ventilation and Aircon Systems. Blessed am I, not having such installations to worry about. I just turn on the central heating and enjoy the luxurious warmth radiating.

It is just above freezing, an overcast day with a light breeze and I ventured out today on the bike and while it was initially hard to get the legs going I soldiered on and did manage a good and satisfying exercise leaving my leg muscles burning pleasantly. No cats were observed. I have given myself a home trainer as a late Christmas present and have also used that, so far on two occasions. It is pretty nifty to be able to pedal away in the warm and dry conditions in my own home as an alternative to slogging it out on wet and dirty roads battling the wind and precipitation.But outdoors, when possible, still is preferable. Now dinner is on the stove; rice, chilli beans and cabbage, with onions and lots of garlic. and a new episode of The Grand Tour awaits on Amazon Prime.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4399626 - 01/12/18 08:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Electric power was off all morning for some reason. It went off while I was posting this and came back on at 1:30 PM. So, I will post now.
I was HOT last night. No, LeRoy, I am not boasting about myself. The temp inside the house, with the heat off and the window open, was 74°F. A far cry from last Thursday night.

I had to close the window due to the rain beating in and finally went fitfully to sleep. Just as I dropped off to slumber land, Zena or maybe it was Xena, noticed I'd gone quiet and decided it was far too quiet. She tuned up and began practicing her "BEL CANTO". That may be what she calls what she was doing, but I'm afraid I called it something else entirely, and it wasn't in Italian either. wink

It appears to me that I have stumped everyone with my little word puzzle I posted a few days ago. Sadly, no one will win that trip around the world for two entirely at their own expense, after all. Really, fellows I thought someone would come up with a winning answer.

OK. The English word with the three double letters in a row without a separation by any other letters is. Drum roll..... "BOOKKEEPER".

Fittop:

Thanks for the tip regarding a good single cup machine. I am not planning to get one anytime soon since I would need to make a few adjustment to accommodate its size first. I haven't had either coffee or tea today. I did have juice though.

MG:

I'm glad both yo and Fittop liked the paper airplane. I thought that video would be interesting. It was to me. I wonder what Dux will say when he sees it? Patience, indeed, what patience and skill that fellow must have.

A personal trainer Jens? I had to stop and think when I read that. At first, I quite naturally visualized a beautiful Scandinavian Blond lady with perfect figure, clear, blue eyes and rosy cheeks. The very picture of Nordic health and vigor. I my mind's eye, she was cracking a whip as you struggled and sweated to get even fitter than you already are. Alas, I read on and found it was not so.

My wife and I bought one of those stationary bikes in the 70's. After just a year, it resided with a stack of other fitness items in the attic. It was not a complete waste of money. We both probably did get a bit fitter when we dragged that heavy thing up the attic steps. It stayed there for a long spell. Finally, we gifted it to my sister-in-law. She wanted and needed one of those badly. That dear, sweet woman lifted more weight out of her bath or bed every morning than Schwarzenegger could have raised with a fork-lift. smile

In truth, although you are a true pal not to mention it Jens, it is far more likely that it is Zenna who is training me. winkngrin

#4399768 - 01/13/18 06:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The sun has just now broken through the overcast and the current temp is 41°F./ 5°C. Yup, it has gotten colder and it is expected to go downhill from here. Snow is expected on Wednesday.

I've always had pocket knives and sheath knives since I was a boy. Maybe my interest is inherited? My great grandma, who always dressed like a Victorian lady should, that would be similar to the old grandma originally illustrated on the molasses (Treacle) jar, always carried a pocket knife in her perfectly starched, white apron. I inherited that knife when she passed because she remembered how I always admired it.

She knew Confederate soldiers in her day and told me stories about the un-Civil War that I have passed on to my grand children. It was still a tough time here in the south when she grew up on the farm. Sherman's army passed through my home town laying waste and stealing possessions and desperately needed livestock and food. They burned the cotton mill and tore up the railroad and bridges. There will be no statue of Sherman there and likely the confederate one will be gone soon.

I digress, the reason I mention knives is that I have always wanted a US Marine KA-BAR for some reason. I am thinking strongly of buying one though I cannot think of a reason I truly need such a knife. It will add to my knife and straight razor collection. My old Grandpa gave me his straight razors when her retired and closed his barbershop. I had my Dad's safety razor plus a couple more I would have sent to Jens for his collection but they have gone missing after my last move when my wife passed away.

As for the KA-Bar, there are a lot of imitations and I am searching for an authentic one at a price I can afford. Amazon has KA-Bars that are supposed to be the real deal authorized by the Marine Corps. I'm looking into it. I may either build or buy a desktop stand to display it.

I should be getting a new Samsung Smart Phone today. I liked my old Galaxy S5 but when I left Verizon it also left me. I've tried another phone that was short on memory and definitely not a Samsung. It was a phone, I could call and be called. I could receive and send texts. I got that phone in 2016 and it is almost completely dead now. Even with a lg. SD card installed, in order to update the OS or other most used apps, I have had to uninstall one app after another until now I only have apps I have paid for left. That phone won't allow me to put apps on the SD card only data and photos. I put all my photos on the cloud anyway. I simply draw the line at removing apps I paid up to $5 for you see. All the apps I have had will be available to be including the paid ones on the new phone of course.

I hope the newer Samsung 8 will be as good as the 5 was. I have never been interested in any other phone than Android phones for one reason or another. Apple seemed to me to be mostly a status symbol. They were darned smart to position it that way IMHO. I hear the new Apple 10 is wonderful if yours doesn't suffer from burn-in or a few other problems. Few now show any problems at all, I've read.

BTW There is only two weeks and 6 shopping days before Groundhog Day. winkngrin

Attached Files KA-Bar.jpg

#4399783 - 01/13/18 07:46 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Due to the transient nature of this medium, I am in constant danger of repeating myself without realising, retelling old stories, so if you remember me writing something like this before, just skip to the interesting bits. that'll probably be the next post below.

That is a nice looking knife, Roger. I have a theory that if you're interested in knives, you have a wish to be the master of nature. A friend of mine is very interested in flash-lights and I think he is wishing to be the master of light. I have a thing about calendars, good old-fashioned paper calendars so I think I wish to be master of time.

As you should be able to see from the picture I have uploaded, the home trainer is neither a blonde sex bomb, nor a bulky, heavy space craving monstrosity that we remember from the one time we went through a gym, on the way to some other place. This one can be folded up and stored some place convenient, should the weather gods ever decent to bring back decent weather and temperatures. It has Bluetooth and ANT sensors, connects with heart rate monitor and Biking computer. It also interacts with training videos and simulators on the internet, increasing resistance as the gradients I'm riding increase. I should find good use for the trainer this coming week, which at the moment is forecasted to be wet and grey.

Today was much the same as yesterday, just even closer to 0 C, which we should achieve tomorrow. I still ventured out on the road today although the wind was from the cold corner of East. As was also the case yesterday, I saw what I think is an eagle today, which apparently lives somewhere along part of the route I took yesterday and today. Brown and scruffy looking but still an impressive bird of prey.

Attached Files IMG_20180113_142455990.jpg
Last edited by McGonigle; 01/13/18 07:47 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4399926 - 01/14/18 06:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The cold is back after a brief and humid respite. Our current temp at noon on this sunny Sunday is a less than balmy 27°F./ -3° C. With an 8 MPH wind it feels like 19°F. according to the Ouija-Weatherman. I will take his word on it. I hope it is warmer in Wales, Denmark, Florida and Texas. Don't worry. I have it on very good authority that the weather here will warm appreciably by July.

MG:

That personal trainer isn't blond or especially beautiful but it IS far more fancy than the one we had. We were too frugal minded (cheap if you like) for anything as nice as that is. My late wife went on a frugal kick once that had us saving and reusing paper towels. No lie. And no, LeRoy, we never reused toilet paper. Her frugality never went quite that far. smile

Simple as it was (it only had a speedometer and a torque adjustment knob) I used it religiously on a daily basis for about 10 months. I kept a log book and everything. Why you haven't thought of getting one before, due to your frequent poor weather, is a mystery my friend. Do remember to buy a few porcelain cats to set about to create a sense of realism. We have one cat that has gotten so obese and lethargic (since the operation) that I doubt he could ever catch up to you pedaling on your stationary bike when he was running full-tilt.

You would never, ever buy one I am sure. What do you think of the new E-Bikes? You can pedal all the way or get an extra boost up steep hills using the quiet electric motor. Cheating, right? Maybe not for old codgers like Dux and I. I won't be buying one. I need the exercise and am in reasonably good health. It is either get a bike or join a club where I can swim every day. Perhaps, like you, I can do both?

I am disappointed in Amazon. That Ka-Bar I was planning to get is apparently a knock-off. I did my research and it seems the steel is high carbon alright and it is about as good as the real McCoy. The steel of the blade is not carbon in color, it is painted black. It does not carry all the correct stamps on the blade either. I'd say it is more for show than as a utility knife. I have looked at the KA-Bar website but all they seem to have in stock are the Navy and Army models. The Marine versions are sold out, presumably until the overstock in those other versions are sold out.

Back to the drawing board. And speaking of that, my son is looking for a descent CAD program to use at home. He has the most popular and expensive software (AutoCad?) at work but wants something lass expensive to use at home. I'm not expecting any suggestions here for obvious reasons but if you have experience with a CAD program you like, please do so. I've had limited experience with CAD and made two suggestions. I found everything has files cloud based these days.

Speaking of frugality,and someone up above just did, : Talk is cheap- except when Congress does it. winkngrin

#4399980 - 01/14/18 10:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps...

I can feel a new flight sim coming on...any suggestions. Perhaps a little waiting required before the release of something or other?

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4399982 - 01/14/18 10:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps...

Many thanks for your birthday congrats! I celebrated mostly by unpacking presents which one of my brothers bought for me about 8 years ago. They are some really good die-cast Battle of Britain models in the correct colours and markings of the day, complete with stands. The Bf109E4, Spitfire II, Hurricane IA and Junkers 87B-2 look pretty good on the wall shelves. The scale is about 1/72.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4400095 - 01/15/18 03:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

'The mercury might have me believe that tehhhemperatures, as William Claude Dukenfield might have expressed it, are "only" slightly below freezing, it ain't a fit night out for maaan or beast. Especially because a stiff Easterly wind adds considerable chill factor. In other words, it is decidedly cold. Overcast as well and that makes for the perfect day to spend on the couch reading some nice Science Fiction, or war memoirs, or the latest biography on past racing drivers, ensuring that the slight cold I suffer does not develop into anything more. Where's that glass of Brandy I had at the ready, I wonder? No Château Thames embankment left I'm afraid.

Roger; An e-bike is a pretty handy thing if one's purpose is to get from A to B, C, or back to A, providing extra power to manage hills and battle headwinds and assuring you of a somewhat predictable ETA. As I ride exclusively for the exercise and the endorphins rush, I'll stick to the old fashioned types, with no extra help from batteries, and take the car for when I need to go places. hahaha

Dux: Die cast models are in many cases works of exquisite art, the detailing quite impressive and I'm tempted to start collecting myself. In my case I'd be interested in cars as well as aeroplanes. Good quality models however, aren't toys and are certainly not priced as toys either.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4400096 - 01/15/18 03:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,
The temp was 17°F. when the covers came off me this sunny yet shivery day. The cold is with us for a while. Our mountains may feel the brunt of this new invasion of Arctic weather. I have cowardly resisted watching the forecast for our local weather so far today.

I have done my work deciphering and communicating with animals like Dr. Doolittle with a little success. Despite my unqualified efforts to muddy the waters of such research, the idea of humans being able to talk to and understand animals may soon become a reality. A qualified researcher is working on a device that may be used as a pet language translator in the future. Good job Gene Roddenberry. Can a universal translator be far off Mr. Spock?

Artificial Intelligence for deciphering animal languages is almost here. Using artificial intelligence, scientists are learning how to translate vocalizations and facial expressions of animals into something that humans can understand. The research has been studying North American Prairie Dogs for 30 years. In 2017, the Zoolingua company was founded to develop a similar tool to that used to understand the prairie dog's vocalization to translate facials expressions, sounds and body movements of pets.

I can hardly wait! Soon, I will be able to really tell Zeena to "Shut UP!" when she practices her Opera lessons late at night.

#4400192 - 01/15/18 10:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Here's a non-fiction style movie from the past you may wish to watch on YouTube. It will give you the perspective of those in that time who were looking across the years to the future we live in today. Gen. Jimmy Stewart does the voice over and the cast includes Charles Bronson. I'm pretty sure you former B-52 drivers will enjoy it since that venerable craft is also featured. It is free to watch. This Technicolor movie's title is "X-15".

That should bring back a few memories. Man was no longer relegated to be just "Spam in a Can" but rather was now controlling the flight all the way once it had left the "mother" ship. I built a small scale plastic Revell kit of that pivotal craft as soon as it was available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhrv1EFbQIw

#4400329 - 01/16/18 04:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The current temp with full sun is 33°F./ 1°C. at 10:30 AM. We should warm into the 40's F. today before the cold returns tonight. We are told to expect 2-3" of snow in our area tonight, overnight and continuing through the day tomorrow. The advisory is set to expire at 7 PM tomorrow night. My dear Jens, I take back all the silly things LeRoy has ever said about you and I even apologize for it. Now, will you please take back your snowy Danish weather? There's a good lad. wink

Actually, we still like the snow. Mostly, we still look forward to it. It used to come so seldom it seems almost a wintertime luxury. I do not expect the farmers in Florida feel that way or the farmers here either for that matter. We'll get snow, perhaps Florida will not experience colder than average winter temps this time. I hope not. I hope OG can still ride comfortably with his rag top down. I used to do that in winter when I had my lovely, silver SAAB convertible.

OK, OK if you watched that "X-15" movie I suggested without having seen more then 5 minutes of it, remember this is still a flame-free zone. If you watched it, then you know it was never even vaguely considered for an award of any kind, not even for popcorn sales. Despite having voice-overs by Jimmy Stewart, with Charles Bronson, Mary Tyler Moore and two excellent character actors I do not remember the names of in the cast. I remember seeing those actors in lots of movies and on TV. Forgive me if you were underwhelmed by the acting or script. AFAIK these were real people the actors were portraying. Real heroes.

Perhaps it would have made a better documentary than a "B" movie? Probably that is because we are not as hungry to see the Earth from space as I remember being back then. I had completed reading an entire library shelf of science fiction books by the best authors by then and I was primed and ready for seeing any rocket blast off. No matter where it was going. We ate up anything about the subject of space. Not just us kids but just about everyone not enjoying the serenity of a complete do-it-yourself chemical lobotomy.

I even did my HS senior theme on the subject of the original 7 Astronauts. I was in seventh grade when little Sputnik captured everyone's attention world-wide. That interest in all things that went up continued more or less right through Apollo. After that, things kinda cooled a bit and NASA scrambled to revive public interest and funding for their projects.

Oh, Rats! 🐀

If you love rats and have one for a pet... it's OK now. The bad press for rats since Gutenberg first advertised for a typesetter seems to be ended. I've just read rats are 'off the hook' for spreading that terrible nuisance of the distant past and in some places today, Black Plague. They are now blaming people and their fleas for spreading the 'Black Death'.

OK, but where did the people get their fleas and lice? Shouldn't the original vector at least share the blame? It's a bit like blaming the Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand Carl Ludwig Joseph Maria for dying from too much lead in his system. Thus triggering the Great War without mentioning it was because Gavrilo Princip did the actual pulling of the trigger. winkngrin

#4400333 - 01/16/18 04:46 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen,

The musings of cycling above make me wish I still had either one of the better indoor bikes I used to enjoy. Of course, that does nothing to get me off my proverbial a#$* and start at least walking on the present contraption. But thank you, McGonigle.

But I do miss the bikes, one lost in a divorce, the other lost to the same person when I mistakenly asked for help in cleaning my mother's place after her leaving this place.
That was in the days before MP3s, musical earplugs and magic phones that played music. But one could read and think, even watch TV as one sweated and stretched muscles in indoor comfort.
The hills appeared at your convenience and imagination, and there was no need to watch for traffic or marvel at the small dynamo driving your headlight.

Some warming would have been welcomed this morning as the thermometer digits bottomed at 23, with a chill factor of 0 as in zero F. . Don't think they will rise much above 24 degrees.
There is some precipitation in the southern regions of the area, so there will be some tryouts in tire-skidding and metal bending/plastic-ripping reported.

Your efforts at translating animal vocalizations are admirable, JRT.
Others and I do appreciate them, though I am afraid that based on my limited experience with cats, - rather, a cat, - the effort maybe, may be wasted at least on this one ; as she does have a way of communicating a look that plainly says: "And do I look like I give a diddley?" before she stomps off shaking her head and murmuring under her breath.
It is very evident she has the number of the humans she allows to share her grace.

X-15 is a movie that I saw ages ago and probably worth another viewing. My first look at the aircraft left me with my mouth agape. The concept and the lines were so novel and clean.
I have only felt the kick of afterburners or gone through the sound barrier once or twice and can only imagine what a thrill it would be to willingly do it for the first time.

Apparently I again posted without seeing your entry just above this one. I think the flight was done in real life with a broken rib? I may be confusing this one with another film.

#4400389 - 01/16/18 08:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Thanks Roger for the link to the X-15 movie which is from the days when such flick did not have to contain a long complex "love interest" story, nor much in terms of plot or plot twists. Also, the term "phallic symbol" wasn't yet every day parlance, and the storytelling proceeds at what today is perceived as an agonizingly slow rate, heavy on procedure, check-lists and an attempt at an accurate yet heroic illustration of the job and the men working with these planes and programs. The stars were clearly the planes and the target audience I think, starry eyed young boys who upon being mesmerised by all the aforementioned would decide to become a test pilot an astronaut or an engineer. Or in fact all three of them!

So, what's not to like? winkngrin

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4400435 - 01/16/18 11:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Looking back, I seem to have missed a post or two. Thirty lashes would not be enough to absolve me of that unforgivable sin.

MG:
I dare say old WC might say precisely that were he here tonight.... hmmmm. and, in fact, he once did say that. We have the proof on film. Folks in NC will soon be enjoying just such enclement weather tonight and tomorrow. And, friend, it won't be poly-petal hitting us in the face by the bucket-full but real nature-made snow. Or so it has been predicted by those highly paid chaps and lovely chapettes that do that kind of advanced guess-work. It was good enough for Eisenhower to rely on D-Day, so it certainly is for the likes of me. Now where did I put those new gloves?

It may surprise you that due to my own interest in such things technical and air worthy that I never became an Astronaut, or Engineer. No? Why not? Never mind. Le Roy just did. Laugh if you wish. I did go to school quite a long time. Long enough perhaps to become an excellent test pilot. Unfortunately all I learned about was the testing part. I took lotsa tests.

Has anyone ever seen a flight sim about flight testing? That would be a good one. I might learn to become a test pilot that way if there is one. I can see me now. I'm like a modern day Walter Mitty. Kerplunkta, kapluketer, my jet engine sure is sounding strange. I'm high in the sky, hair on fire, altimeter spinning down, stick broken off in my white knuckled fist. I am standing on the spot the rudder pedals used to occupy. Someone's voice, it might be mine, is screaming important flight data into my mike. My mouth is so dry that dust comes out of it with every word. My eyes are bloodshot and as the Gs reach 10 graduations beyond lethal, they begin popping out my ears. I am undaunted, I am brave, I am filling my flight suit with something disgusting.

Fittop:

I don't remember ever seeing that film before, not even on late, late night TV. BTW we in the ad business used to call that "garbage time. A lot of companies media buyers wouldn't touch that late programming although it was relatively cheap. Most national clients preferred "Prime time" for extra reach and frequency. Yet none of them would ever dare running a 30 sec. spot advertising free money either. Locals would use that time slot and get results. Response was more about the message than the time. I thought the movie was interesting but not all that entertaining. I would have loved it back when it first came out though.

My electric kettle came yesterday and I love it. Now I have to wait a bit for my hot beverages to cool but they taste much better. The double walled insulated stainless steel mugs are great too. The KA-BAR problems have been resolved and one is finally on the way. So is a good pair of 10x50 binoculars. I hope I live long enough to get those field glasses. This item seems to be coming from some distant and exotic place by mule train. No doubt because I chose free delivery. That particular item will take several weeks to arrive. Everything else comes Friday. I also ordered a new ball cap. Now I will have two.

It occurs to me that either way items are shipped, Free or paid, you have to pay for it... one way or another. winkngrin

#4400484 - 01/17/18 05:02 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen,

There were a lot of flying films we devoured at Air Force Bases, JRT. If it flew, sailed or slipped below the surface, it was shown. Even better if it spewed fire.

I don't think quality film rating was a qualifying factor. I also remember the Victory at Sea documentaries that I had seen at home just a couple of years before. And of course, the Right way, the Wrong way and the Army way of doing things was part of the indoctrination.

It came in handy later on. Just came across a picture hidden in my emails of my roommate and I buffing the floor for a Saturday morning inspection. I remember thinking then I liked it better before the buffers came in. A used T-shirt could clean the floor properly and no one expected it to shine; which gave you time to spit-shine your shoes and be in bed before 1 a.m.

#4400543 - 01/17/18 04:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen,

It appears that the temperature did not quite reach the 6 degrees predicted for an overnight low here, but it was close. Yes, left the faucet dripping overnight as suggested, but there was no drip in the morning.
insulation in the area is not quite as protective as it is up further North where they normally expect serious winter weather.
Keeping fingers crossed that neither JRT or myself experience weather-related problems. I see his area is still getting hammered, and pretty sure plumbers all over are busy and trying to stay warm.

#4400546 - 01/17/18 04:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It hasn't reached us yet but snow is coming our way just slower than predicted. That may mean up to 5 inches of powder before it passes into cold weather history. It has been snowing for hours in the Raleigh-Durham area (about 50-75 miles W from here) where my son works. He has sent his crews home and is returning home as well. He has a big truck with big tires. He'll be fine unless he happens to meet someone with slick tires and a 'not ready for snow time' vehicle. You are only as safe as the worst driver you meet on the highway. Drive defensively all the time.

Fittop:

Oh, I do fondly remember "Victory at Sea". I even had the album suite (music by Richard Rogers) featuring all that great music by the RCA Victor Orchestra. Symphonic music with titles like: "The Pacific Boils Over", "The Song of the High Seas", "Guadalcanal March", the rousing "D-Day" "Hard Work and Horseplay", "Fire on the Waters", Theme of the Fast Carriers", " Beneath the Southern Cross", and Mare Nostrum". How I looked forward to every new episode on our little B&W Crosley Super "V" TV. This kid loved the music as much as the stories historical content.

There was a similar but far less well produced program that came on Saturday mornings. This was only about the US Army called "The Big Picture". You can watch all VaS episodes on YouTube today. I did just that only last summer. Music still thrilling, voice over still commanding attention.

Another HWH coinkinkidinky. I only yesterday taught my grandson how to spit polish his beautiful EMS boots. My pal who was in the Army Honor Guard had shown me years ago how they get a mirror finish on their boots. They must pass a vigorous inspection prior to guarding the Tomb of the Unknown or participating in any state funeral, etc. I was not yet married and he needed a lift so I took him back to Ft. Myers once in my brand new, fire engine red, Opel GT just to break it in. wink

Mummies Baby, Daddy's Maybe

Scientists have finally used advanced DNA testing to uncover the truth about two royal Egyptian brothers buried together 4,000 years ago and discovered in 1907. Turns out, they had the same mommy but a different daddy. The mommies mummy was buried nearby. Like far too many kids of today, no one seems to know who or where their daddy is.

Q: What is the most important Holly Day in Egypt?
A: Mummy’s Day! winkngrin

Page 546 of 608 1 2 544 545 546 547 548 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.