Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4399790 - 01/13/18 08:18 PM We have a wolf  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Not us personally but the area has acquired a female wolf, it has been living here since the start of the year in the military area which is just a few km from us.

It was spotted by the nature conservancy workers and it has a radio sender which was put on it while it was in Germany, it is not that far a walk from Germany to here. Our local mayor, Jan, has posted up a report on it on facebook to keep us appraised of it's whereabouts and to reassure folk that they are not really in danger.

The military area is over run by wild boar and they have been a danger to walkers, joggers and cyclists, there have been quite a few attacks by boars in the last few months, and in November they organised a shoot to cull the numbers back a bit, they shot 70 boar during the day that they were allowed to hunt them, it didn't make a big difference to their numbers, now people are hopeful that the wolf can help control the numbers as the "greenies" have managed to outlaw hunting the boar.

'Welcome Wolf', an organisation that is eager to see the wolf return to Belgium, reports that it has spotted a first wolf in the wild in Flanders. The animal was sighted in Bocholt in Limburg Province.
Jan Loos of Welcome Wolf says it's the first time that scientists can say with absolute certainty that a wolf has been spotted in Belgium as it bears a necklace transmitter and is being followed by German scientists. The wolf was monitored crossing the Belgian-Dutch border. Earlier it crossed into the Netherlands from northern Germany and made its way south to Limburg. In Belgium the animal was detected in the marshes of the Kempen District.
Until recently the wolf was in danger of extinction but numbers are now increasing apace. Several animals have been reported in Germany and the North of the Netherlands in recent years.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.3125572

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4399797 - 01/13/18 08:52 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
[Game of Thrones]

It's an ill omen when one sees wolves south of The Wall.

[/Game of Thrones]

[Political]

In an anticipated move, the migration of wolves into Belgium has forced the EU to formulate a quota system for member states to alleviate the pressure. Poland is on record refusing any such efforts, saying "if you send them don't complain if we wind up with new fur hats."

[/Political]

[Cultural]

Wolves killing pigs? That's not kosher!

[/Cultural]

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4399812 - 01/13/18 09:36 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

LOL!

Way to go Dart, that about sums it up biggrin

Wolves were put on the protected species list here last year and they have been steadily moving south from Germany through Holland and now here, maybe this is just a scout to see if there is enough resources to move the rest of the family in smile

My daughter had said she had seen a wolf but nobody believed her, now she has a smug smile and saying "I told you"

The wolves I have seen personally have not been that big around German Shepherd size or a bit smaller

Clan Cameron
#4399815 - 01/13/18 10:01 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Quickly shoot it before it starts destroying your local livestock farms.

#4399816 - 01/13/18 10:10 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog
Quickly shoot it before it starts destroying your local livestock farms.

It's ok Wolves don't eat maize unless they are in dire straights wink

That is the next thing I expect to read in the news here ... "a wolf killed my chickens... kill all wolves"

As for livestock farms, I would say about 95% of livestock is store bred and reared, it was quite a novelty to see a flock of sheep in a field here last summer, being a Scots lad it made me feel a little homesick wink

Clan Cameron
#4399820 - 01/13/18 10:48 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by Alicatt
The military area is over run by wild boar and they have been a danger to walkers, joggers and cyclists, there have been quite a few attacks by boars in the last few months, and in November they organised a shoot to cull the numbers back a bit, they shot 70 boar during the day that they were allowed to hunt them, it didn't make a big difference to their numbers, now people are hopeful that the wolf can help control the numbers as the "greenies" have managed to outlaw hunting the boar.

It's very different here. They're considered a nuisance animal, there isn't even a season or a limit-at least on private property, but you do need a hunting license. Do what you want pretty much, but I think there are some regulations when in turkey or deer season maybe, but not because of the hogs. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4399825 - 01/13/18 11:43 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Here they have been waiting for decades for the motorway from the Dutch border to join up with the dual carriage way that goes to Hasselt and the main E314 east - west France to Germany motorway, the section is only 2.5km in length but if it is not one "interested nature party" it's another that vetoes it and that 2.5km section that runs alongside the military territory is where the Wolf is at the moment, they, the green party, are the same ones that got the ban on hunting around here.

It reached a climax this past summer when a woman cyclist was severely mauled by a wild boar, that was when they opened the area for hunters to cull the boars for one day, even at that there was a big out cry from the conservationists and some of the inhabitants of the town here about the cruelty of it, it made national news here, the burgemeester and the hunters were openly attacked in print and on TV.

56 dead everzwijnen (wild boars) on the military service road that runs alongside the main road to the next town
Note to our more sensitive members: Contains images of dead animals.
[Linked Image]

And after the hunt pictures like this were posted to the mayor's facebook page
[Linked Image]

Clan Cameron
#4399856 - 01/14/18 08:37 AM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
juri_js Offline
juri_js  Offline

In the region where I live, the first wolves were sighted ten years ago. The initial enthusiasm faded very fast, when the clever animals discovered that it's easier to prey on cows and sheeps than on boar and deer. Farmers get compensation for killed animals, but additional costs like guard dogs or electric fences are only partially refunded. As you can imagine the farmers here would like to see them all killed.

They are also becoming increasingly unafraid of humans, because they aren't hunted. Here's a video filmed a few kilometers away from my parents home:

Last edited by juri_js; 01/14/18 08:50 AM.
#4399921 - 01/14/18 05:46 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
"They are also becoming increasingly unafraid of humans"

how many children have gone missing ?
[Linked Image]

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4400041 - 01/15/18 08:18 AM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Although I live happily in wolf-free Hong Kong, I frequently return to the French Southern Alps where we own a decrepit mountain chalet. Right on the edge of the Mercantour National Park, with some 20 to 30 packs of wild grey wolves.
They are known to come down into villages at times but the locals are not particularly worried.
The wolves frequently attack sheep high up in the mountains during the summer months, taking a few sheep out, and sometimes driving the total herd off cliffs. It does create tension here and there with herders. The French Gov will compensate financially but that does not fix the distress among herders and the stress among the sheep..

I have forgotten the names of those large white dogs with long coats, bred among sheep, and terribly protective. They have made a strong comeback since the early 1990s, spending the summer months high up with the sheep, and they do an excellent job at driving wolves away. On the downside, they are as much aggressive towards the wolves as they are to hikers !!!! A bit of a Catch-22.

Seen a couple of those wolves from far away a few times. They instantly vanish, every time.
The white dogs will stand their ground right there along the path, and you better back off or change course , ha !

Cheers,
Slug

Last edited by Sluggish Controls; 01/15/18 08:24 AM.

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4400057 - 01/15/18 12:25 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
SC, the Great Pyrenees perhaps?

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4400058 - 01/15/18 12:28 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Believe you are talking about Pyrenean Mountain Dog sometimes called the Great Pyrenees.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4400074 - 01/15/18 01:37 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  

Hong Kong
Thx both, nailed the dog’s breed. That’s the one, “Patou” in French,

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4400077 - 01/15/18 01:56 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Yup the Great Pyrenees. Interesting trivia ......It is widely believed that the Newfoundland Dog was derived from the GP. They look quite similar except that one in white and the other coal black.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4400080 - 01/15/18 02:01 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Wikipedia
Temperament: Affectionate, Confident, Fearless, Gentle, Patient, Strong Willed
Weight: 52 kg (114.64 pound) – 59 kg (130.07 pound) (Male) · 41 kg (90.39 pound) – 50 kg (110.23 pound) (Female)
Lifespan: 10 years – 11 years on average
Height: 2' 3" (0.69 m) – 2' 9" (0.84 m) (Female) · 2' 5" (0.74 m) – 3' 3" (0.99 m) (Male)
Scientific name: Canis lupus familiaris

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4400098 - 01/15/18 03:49 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
juri_js Offline
juri_js  Offline

In my region some farmers are now using guard donkeys. Sounds silly, but obviously they are quite aggressive towards canids.

Donkey vs Coyote
[Linked Image]

#4400099 - 01/15/18 03:49 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
Outlaw Offline
One of the Original Four
Outlaw  Offline
One of the Original Four

The Great Northwest...
We have wolves galore around here (Pacific Northwest)

I've seen 2 of them take down a Moose. They are absolutely fearless.

Had a neighbor who had a half wolf dog (they are legal here) as a pet. His head standing on all fours was at my waist. Sweet dog, but walked around the house like he owned the place. Which he did, lol.

#4400261 - 01/16/18 06:07 AM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  

Hong Kong
As a follow-up to my Alps wolves and "Patou" dogs post

https://www.eturbonews.com/8038/alpine-tourists-attacked-pyrenean-dogs-brought-save-sheep
A bit old, interesting nonetheless.

Cheers,
Slug

#4400272 - 01/16/18 08:44 AM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

There was a wandering Patou in Wick, the owner had passed away and bequeathed the dog to a friend, that friend was not the right person to have a dog like that and he just let it wander the streets of the town, at least it was a friendly sort and just ambled around the town from butcher's shop to butcher's shop wink it went where it wanted and you could not really stop it, he wandered the streets for about 8 years just a big gentle giant and not in the slightest bit aggressive.

Interesting video documentary about the Wolves and Caucasian Sheepdogs from Georgia, like the Patou it is a guardian rather than a herder, the wolves in the documentary are quite small compared with what you find in Europe and a lot smaller than the timber wolves from the US. These dogs can be as big as double the weight of the Patou.

Clan Cameron
#4400284 - 01/16/18 12:19 PM Re: We have a wolf [Re: Alicatt]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Alicatt

It's ok Wolves don't eat maize unless they are in dire straights wink

They grow maize in Belgium? What? You guys think you are in the Oaxaca Valley or something? biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.